Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2016 4:55:43 AM EDT
Would like some opinions on a semi-budget 308 host. I have an omega getting out of jail soon and would like a 308 to go with it but looking for something in this 400-500$ range that has a barrel capable of threading to support it. Going to try to trade in an unused 45-75 and don't want to spend to much over that value.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#1]
The ruger american is in that range.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Ruger American or savage hog hunter.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Ruger American Predator comes in .308 with a 18" threaded barrel. Should be able to find one for around $400.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 9:17:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have two Ruger American Ranch rifles, one in .300 BLK and one in ..223. Both are great rifles. While the American Ranch doesn't come in .308, I believe the American Predator mentioned above does and that would be a great budget .308 bolt gun with a factory threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:19:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ruger American Predator comes in .308 with a 18" threaded barrel. Should be able to find one for around $400.
View Quote

The Predator (#6974) is what you want. I love my Predator in .308. It groups tight, has a great trigger from the factory, and is suppressor ready right out of the box. I currently run a Harvester 30 on mine but will transition to the Omega when it gets approved. I've been so impressed with the American line I purchased the Ranch models in 5.56 and 300 BLK.

As a side note, Ruger makes a rimfire "Predator" model in 22LR (8334), 22Mag (8335), and 17HMR (8336) that match the look of the centerfire Predator. If you have a rimfire suppressor I can't recommend these enough. The 22LR model feeds from standard 10/22 mags.

In an effort to not sound like a Ruger paid advertisement, the American centerfire line has received some negative feedback for the rigidity of the synthetic stock, fitment of the barrel channel to the barrel, and construction/function of the detachable magazines. In my personal experience the rigidity of the stock has not been an issue. One of my Americans has a tight barrel channel but I can still run a sheet of paper between it and the barrel. I may sand down the channel a little at some point to give it more clearance but it is not a priority for me. The magazine supplied with the 300 BLK does not feed reliably. It is from an early run (shiny plastic) and the current version (dull plastic like magpul) mags are perfect. I've never had an issue with my .308 mag. These are a Ruger designed mag so there is no interchangeability with other brands or higher capacity versions available, yet.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I just picked up the ruger predator in 308 this week and like it so far. My only complaint is that the magazine feels super cheap and flimsy, but it's a price point gun and seems to offer a lot for the money.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's what I recently got
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is the Ruger Predator in 308 for $339.99 w/ free shipping

SALE LINK
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 5:30:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Would like some opinions on a semi-budget 308 host. I have an omega getting out of jail soon and would like a 308 to go with it but looking for something in this 400-500$ range that has a barrel capable of threading to support it. Going to try to trade in an unused 45-75 and don't want to spend to much over that value.
View Quote

what model is the 45-75? I would look at the savage hog hunter. the barrel is threaded.  You can upgrade them in the future if you want to.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:54:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Ended up getting the ruger predator. With all said and done i ended up with 350 total in the deal after taxes and he also waived transfer fee for a lower I was picking up. Not a screaming deal but not bad one either. They did have a hog hunter which may have been the better option but went ahead with the ruger.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:31:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ended up getting the ruger predator. With all said and done i ended up with 350 total in the deal after taxes and he also waived transfer fee for a lower I was picking up. Not a screaming deal but not bad one either. They did have a hog hunter which may have been the better option but went ahead with the ruger.
View Quote

Look into the DNZ Game Reaper one piece scope mounts. They eliminate having multiple connections between rings and bases. The low model is what I use for 1" scopes on my Americans.

Mine have been very true to the barrel with minimal adjustments needed from the scopes zero. On private land, as an experiment I mounted a Game Reaper to my BAR ShortTrac without the scope and used it as a sort of double ghost ring sight. To my surprise I was able to consistently hit a 10" diameter plate at 100 yards. It was relatively easy as the eye seems to naturally align the three circles (rear ring, front ring, and target). A scope is installed now but it was fun to test out.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:26:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Also look at the Mossberg MVP.  I have the Patrol model.  Nice short 16.25" threaded barrel and accepts a wide variety of mags, including Pmags.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I tried a Savage FCP-10 and like it.  Got mine for 550 with a floated 24" fluted barrel, Accustock, Accutrigger.

Then I lucked out and made it under the wire for the $100 mail in rebate.  That paid for rings and a bipod.

Wish it had better mags though.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:24:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Also look at the Mossberg MVP.  I have the Patrol model.  Nice short 16.25" threaded barrel and accepts a wide variety of mags, including Pmags.
View Quote

Was gonna say this. Screwed on a saker brake and put a fast fire 2 on the rail, now it's ready to go.

Bought it specifically for .308 sub host.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top