Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2016 2:53:17 AM EDT
How do suppressors index on sporter barrels with no thread shoulder?

I am looking at some rifles like the new Thompson Center Compass and I see that while the muzzle appears to be set up to have a suppressor index on the muzzle it self I am wondering since the manual says nothing at all about suppressor mounting safety what happens when one mounts a can with out a step in the thread adaptor. I figure the adaptor should be hitting a shoulder of some sort to index.

I am about to have some muzzles threaded on some hunting rifles and I don't really want to have custom end caps made for each diameter so that they will index off the muzzle. Is there a third way to get a good index beside the muzzle or a step behind the threads? I can't imagine I'm the first to ask this but there is no info on the internet anywhere I can find.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I think this is usually done by threading 1/2 X 28 and then an adapter with a shoulder in the appropriate thread size for the suppressor or mount is rock set onto that. At least that's what I've been told by a few different guys.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:22:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Many suppressors can index on the muzzle itself. But you would need to check what your suppressors manual says....
View Quote

So what about for those which don't index on the muzzle. That's the issue I am running into.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:34:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:34:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I thinking indexing on a shoulder is a hold over from back in the day when a lot more barrel threads were shady.
Yes, I understand that a squared shoulder that the suppressor can snug up to can be optimal, but is isn't always
a necessity if the threads are concentric and within spec for the required pitch.  

My HK91 has a slim profiled barrel with run-out threads and my suppressor screws on tight, and concentric with no shoulder.

Assuming all parts are within spec, and tolerance creep is at a minimum, you may be fine. Only way to tell is mount and check.

Also, as a side note, if the barrel, mount, or suppressor threads are crap, mounting another device like a QD mount etc isn't going to fix anything, with or without a shoulder.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If your having barrels threaded, have them add a shoulder behind the threads.  

Like this:
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk76/odm4/2096606b-9211-4285-9129-6e4cb1524d27.jpg

View Quote

Just to clarify, this is a barrel threaded about 1" or so, with a collar threaded on to the rear portion that creates the shoulder -correct?
Nice work.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the help greenm4guy. Another solution I came up with is a possibility would be to have an adapter made for the suppressor that would allow me  to use silencerco''s harvester end caps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top