Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 11:11:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I rarely shoot anything unsuppressed anymore... even pistols.  I do still shoot pistols unsuppressed, but just the ones that I don't have a TB for or my carry pistols.  I'm always glad to get back to shooting suppressed though.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Suppressors on handguns defeat the purpose of a handgun.  Keep it on your pcc
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:29:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Suppressed pistols lack any real, practical use for me.  

That said I really enjoy shooting them, shooting my threaded R1 is a lot of fun and it gets pulled out of the safe for the range bag most of the time.

-Mike
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:34:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
What is the purpose then?

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small quick and concealable

For me, their purpose is also: collecting, shooting enjoyment, etc
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:45:03 PM EDT
[#6]
This thread made me go shoot my suppressed 1911 again yesterday.

Its just hard to shoot it as well suppressed as I can unsuppressed which is frustrating.

Im sure its mostly due to not being able to see the sights or being able to align them as correctly along with the POI shift.

But I had several shots where I seemed to do everything perfectly and still miss reduced IPSC style steel at 50 leaving with me a face.

Maybe Im wanting too much out of it.

I do love slinging .45 ACP quietly however. That still makes it fun and interesting. Just hard to hit exactly where I want to hit at
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Its just hard to shoot it as well suppressed as I can unsuppressed which is frustrating.

Im sure its mostly due to not being able to see the sights or being able to align them as correctly along with the POI shift.

But I had several shots where I seemed to do everything perfectly and still miss reduced IPSC style steel at 50 leaving with me a face.

View Quote

Like MARSOC, you should give the G19 a try.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did consider suppressing my BHP until I priced barrels
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Omega 9k covers all those bases.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 9:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I"m the opposite - if I'm shooting a pistol that's threaded, I'm taking a can out with it.

Turns 9mm and 45's into .22's.  Quiet, no blast, reduced recoil.  So I shoot them better than without.

For the sights, I either have high sights, or put a laser on it.  Tough to beat the smile factor of my Glock 17L with a can and a laser sight, mowing down plates.

For POI shift, on the Ti-Rant series, you can pull on the can and re-index it, which will change the POI, if it's shooting not in line with the sights.  On the Glocks I've not had to fool with this, but did on the S&W M&P Core, and got it lined up after about 2 clicks.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 11:06:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's all about being those things in a size proportional to other guns when suppressed.

A suppressed handgun is all those things compared to a suppressed rifle  
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's all about being those things in a size proportional to other guns when suppressed.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've read that in this thread and elsewhere a few times in comparing pistols vs PCCs in a HD environment.

I did an experiment and found that when I have my pistol (P226) fully extended in an iso stance, the end of the barrel is slightly further out than the end of the suppressor on my PCC (9mm AR w/3.5" barrel, 3-lug, and Obsidian -- 27" OAL with stock collapsed). Throw a can on the end of the pistol and it's way way longer.

In my environment I have to give the edge to the PCC for the right balance between maneuverability vs. the ability to make accurate snap shots. The PCC also has an advantage in terms of retention (my hands are at each end of the PCC -- how much control would you have after someone grabs your pistol can and uses it like a huge lever?). Firing a pistol from retention position is not nearly as accurate as the PCC is even though OAL becomes roughly equivalent. Advantage PCC there as well.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've read that in this thread and elsewhere a few times in comparing pistols vs PCCs in a HD environment.

I did an experiment and found that when I have my pistol (P226) fully extended in an iso stance, the end of the barrel is slightly further out than the end of the suppressor on my PCC (9mm AR w/3.5" barrel, 3-lug, and Obsidian -- 27" OAL with stock collapsed). Throw a can on the end of the pistol and it's way way longer.

In my environment I have to give the edge to the PCC for the right balance between maneuverability vs. the ability to make accurate snap shots. The PCC also has an advantage in terms of retention (my hands are at each end of the PCC -- how much control would you have after someone grabs your pistol can and uses it like a huge lever?). Firing a pistol from retention position is not nearly as accurate as the PCC is even though OAL becomes roughly equivalent. Advantage PCC there as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have both, but I can bring my arms close to body if needed.

If someone grabs my gun I shoot them. This is regardless of the type of gun. I'm not getting into a game of leverage and strength with a stranger.

If I'm firing from retention, I'm not concerned about distance accuracy.

Sometimes a pistol is better. Different tools. I take the can off my pistol, I can carry it easily. If I want a can, I attach it.

Note again-- I have both.

Link Posted: 10/4/2016 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#14]
When a turd grabs your suppressed (or unsuppressed) pistol, you only get to shoot them if they are dumb enough to be in front of the muzzle.

Edit: i guess with a suppressed pistol, and enough magazine capacity ( and if your sticking all that length on your pistol, no reason for it to be a compact, lower capacity model) you could fire all but a couple of rounds and heat up I the suppressor so the turd lets go and then shoot him!
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:18:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very well said. I like my handguns, but I would take my suppressed SBR PCC any day over the handgun.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:52:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Mine only gets used at the shooting range and sitting at home in case its needed for defensive purposes.

But... lets be honest... unless we are hunting or work in a field the requires us to be armed, 99% of our other firearms only get used at the shooting range too.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 9:11:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Very well said. I like my handguns, but I would take my suppressed SBR PCC any day over the handgun.
View Quote
Why can't it be "get both"?

Rifle > Pistol, but that doesn't mean throw the pistol out with the bathwater!

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 1:08:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very good point. I guess I should also mention that I still have a suppressed handgun and I would still feel ok if that was beside my bed.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 1:38:55 AM EDT
[#19]
I shoot my suppressed handguns more often
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top