Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/23/2016 6:29:16 PM EDT
From what I've seen online, the Ghost comes with a piston, but the ones my dealer got in (from RSR I think) lack a piston. He'd ordered some other pistons (they are sealed in clamshell) and I plan on getting a Ghost from him but was wondering about the lack of an included piston?
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Some dealers included. Some like grabagun did not include a piston in their sub $700 price on the Ghost.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:38:49 PM EDT
[#2]
the ones our store got recently had no piston.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:10:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Ghosts do not come with a piston from the factory.  Better dealers include one free of charge.  
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:23:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ghosts do not come with a piston from the factory.  Better dealers include one free of charge.  
View Quote

Sure, but do they just give away a piston or is it included in the price?

On another note, with the Dead Air wipes, can you shoot hollowpoints through them?
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

On another note, with the Dead Air wipes, can you shoot hollowpoints through them?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure I understand the first question, either way, the customer isn't paying extra for a piston.  For the second question, no problem at all with hollow points.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 9:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I think it's pretty straightforward. The dealer pays for the can and the piston separately. They sell the can with the piston. Thus, they know their profit margin and price the can accordingly.

So, it's not "free" to the customer, but it's included in the price. How much the dealer decides to make/lose on the piston itself is up to them.

Key for the customer is simply to factor in the piston cost when price shopping if dealer doesn't include it.
View Quote

Totally agree BigWayon.  Pistons aren't free and somebody has to account for the cost.

The dealer should be upfront about whether a piston (or a mount if needed) is or is NOT included.  This is basically like going to a gun showing and buying a rifle or pistol that is $10 cheaper than somewhere else only to discover later the dealer pulled a magazine from the firearm (though more deceptive since one is included by the manufacturer and one isn't it).

From a dealer and to a lesser extent the manufacturer, the logistics with this approach seems simpler.  Instead of selling, stocking, tracking, etc. cans with mounts (45ACP US, Metric RH, Metric LH, 9mm ....) they stock one can and separately have cheaper non-form 3 pistons to pair up as needed for customers.  They also don't have to pull pistons from factory packaging and swap in a different piston and then make sure that box and SKU don't get mixed up with one that has the ORIGINAL factory piston.  This puts more burden on the dealer to be upfront and educate the consumer and opens up some risk a bad dealer will take advantage of a less informed consumer.  

Is the glass half full or half empty for the dealer and the consumer?  

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:42:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From a dealer and to a lesser extent the manufacturer, the logistics with this approach seems simpler.  Instead of selling, stocking, tracking, etc. cans with mounts (45ACP US, Metric RH, Metric LH, 9mm ....) they stock one can and separately have cheaper non-form 3 pistons to pair up as needed for customers.  They also don't have to pull pistons from factory packaging and swap in a different piston and then make sure that box and SKU don't get mixed up with one that has the ORIGINAL factory piston.  This puts more burden on the dealer to be upfront and educate the consumer and opens up some risk a bad dealer will take advantage of a less informed consumer.  
View Quote

Yeah, assuming the pistons are actually available, it's a lot easier to have them separate. It'd be nice if the information was actually easily available in big letters of course. :)

Last time I was in the shop he got some silencers in, one was a gemtech 30 cal silencer (I didn't pay attention to the model), with the little plastic bag ripped open and no booster. He called Gemtech and they confirmed it wasn't supposed to have a booster but they weren't sure why it was opened. He tried calling Dead Air but it kept ringing, then he got busy so I figured the internet would know the answers.

They should have a big sticker that says "this silencer requires a piston (sold separately)" on the box.

To use your magazine example, years ago when the SIG Mosquito came out I was working at a firearms store. They only included one mag instead of 2 like normal guns, so it was a pain at first until finally they stuck the aforementioned sticker on the boxes. "This gun includes only one magazine!"

Thanks for all the answers folks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top