Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2016 7:19:48 PM EDT
I received my Omega 7.62 last week. I put QD muzzle brakes and flash hiders on miscellaneous rifle for ease of cycling the suppressor. I also switched out the anchor brake for a flat 7.62 end cap. Today was the first day I had the suppressor out, and I shot it with an IWI X-95 (.223/5.56). I KNOW it's not supposed to be Hollywood quiet (and this isn't my first suppressor either), but wow was it louder than I anticipated. Again, I know it's not hearing safe but I was hoping for something much softer without such a loud crack. Any likelihood a 5.56 end cap would really lessen the perceived noise? I remember reading it would only be a 3 decibel reduction but perhaps the change in perception would be significant as well. Anyone have first hand experience?
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Nope.

Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#2]
To me, mine sounds more like a framing nailer.  Im not getting a crack other than the bullet breaking the sound barrier.  I was sitting next to two Omegas on 556s in my defensive carbine class and it was a pleasant tone to me whole day.

The anchor brake on various sound test on the internet is quieter than the flat cap 7.62 and the 556 is just a little quieter than both.  I just got my 556 end cap and will be shooting it outside soon.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:19:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 556 endcap on one of mine, and out in the desert, its hearing safe for me on a 10.5", 14.5" and 16" 223. That doesn't seem to be the normal answer, so YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't tell the difference on a Colt 6920 between the anchor brake and the 5.56 endcap.  Both 5.56 and .223 ammo.
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Saker 556 and an Omega with the 556 endcap.  I think the Omega has a lower/deeper tone...maybe just a tad quieter..but they are really close to my ears.  Here are some comparison videos..same day, same ammo, same host, both direct thread mounts:

Silencerco Saker vs Omega LaRue 12" Stealth Barrel ; PRVI M855
https://vimeo.com/183585971

Silencerco Saker vs Omega LaRue 18" PredatAR Barrel ; PRVI M855
https://vimeo.com/175958163
Link Posted: 9/20/2016 11:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I have heard the Omega with brake and with 223 end cap, same day, same ammo, and iirc the 223 end cap was quieter but the difference wasn't significant and the pitch was higher.

I have two Omegas and shoot them on, among other AR's, a 16" and 10.5" 5.56; hearing both the brake and the 223 flat end cap that day lead me to save the $'s on the 223 flat end cap since there was no significant difference. The flat end cap does knock .9" off of the length though, however, the fear of ramming a 6.8 or .308 bullet through a 223 end cap keeps me from buying one for the length savings.

JPK
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 12:12:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Honestly it does a pretty good job for being a short and light weight suppressor.  Maybe you have unrealistic expectations?

What other cans/guns/ammo have you shot suppressed to compare it too?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:33:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Are x-95s supposed to be good hosts? You said multiple hosts, no other 566 guns that may be more common to develop a baseline from?
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 4:02:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#10]
It's a supersonic round and you're closer to the muzzle than on a traditional rifle. It's going to be loud.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
I should have added that I have heard most of the leading suppressor contenders same day, same rifle, same ammo, and the Omega was the pick of the guys present that day. But any suppression differences between them was minor. Surge in long configuration, Sandman-L, Omega, add what you wish to the list, suppression was very good with all of them. The differences were primarily in mount, weight, tone.

JPK
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got an Omega that I've shot a twice now. I only have the 7.62 anchor brake.

The first trip out I shot .223 from a 16" AR. My reaction was "meh." It's still loud and didn't do much to mitigate what little recoil the round has anyway.

Yesterday, I shot .308 out of a 16.5" bolt gun. My reaction was "holy crap!" The .308 bolt gun seemed significantly quieter to me than the .223 AR. I estimate a 50% reduction in recoil. OP, try the Omega with a .30 bolt gun and the anchor brake.

I plan on picking up a  5.56 end cap. I figure it will reduce the sound some, and the length reduction will be nice for the AR. If I don't buy a 7.62 end cap, then I won't try to blast a .30 caliber bullet through a .22 caliber hole since hopefully I'll be able to tell the difference between a flat end cap and an anchor brake.

Maybe ikickhippies is right.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Sounds like an unrealistic expectation/assumption of what it should sound like.

Yes, the 5.56 end cap has been shown to quieten it down a little more, and the Omega has been shown to be quieter than most dedicated 5.56 suppressors. I think you've got a great suppressor, I just think your expectation is a little off. It is a loud, supersonic round and it is still going to be quite loud, but suppressed 5.56 will never be as quiet as subsonic .300 blackout.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's a supersonic round and you're closer to the muzzle than on a traditional rifle. It's going to be loud.
View Quote

This was probably just an oversight on my part. I think you're right about it being a bullpup and even just those few inches make a big difference to the shooter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#15]
And a bolt gun will always be quieter suppressed due to no gas coming out of the action and the sound of the action itself is not present.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

This was probably just an oversight on my part. I think you're right about it being a bullpup and even just those few inches make a big difference to the shooter.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You're shooting a bullpup.  

Seriously though, any port noise is closer to your ear.  The muzzle is also closer to your ear.  I don't know about action noise itself but, I notice it more with a Mini-14 myself.

How does it sound on a normal AR-15 or bolt action .223?  Whether shooting from an AR-15 or AR-10, the supersonic crack and any sound reflections from trees, buildings, berms, etc. is going to be more noticeable than out in an open grassy field.
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 9:33:34 PM EDT
[#17]

"I plan on picking up a 5.56 end cap. I figure it will reduce the sound some, and the length reduction will be nice for the AR. If I don't buy a 7.62 end cap, then I won't try to blast a .30 caliber bullet through a .22 caliber hole since hopefully I'll be able to tell the difference between a flat end cap and an anchor brake. "

Back when SS offered SiCo products I called to order the 223 end cap... The SS guy on the phone was the one who told me, "If you shoot multiple calibers through your Omega and swap brake and end caps, it isn't  a question of  if you will shoot a larger caliber through the 223 end cap, it is a question of when."  For the minimal gains, I decided this was good advice.

JPK
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:01:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it possible that the brake on the omega is making louder?  I run my saker 762 on .223 rifles and it sounds the same to me as the 556 cans next to it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#19]
we shoot the omegas and others at the store a lot and they perform great along side the other models.

1. shooting it direct thread is quieter than qd, the endcap wont change a meter much but if you shoot in big open spaces you'll notice a difference in echo. if you shoot in trees, dont bother. it'll sound the same.
2. The host matters more than almost any other variable. some people have noisy ass AR-15s and others are quieter. dont know why, but some are louder than others.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
we shoot the omegas and others at the store a lot and they perform great along side the other models.

1. shooting it direct thread is quieter than qd, the endcap wont change a meter much but if you shoot in big open spaces you'll notice a difference in echo. if you shoot in trees, dont bother. it'll sound the same.
2. The host matters more than almost any other variable. some people have noisy ass AR-15s and others are quieter. dont know why, but some are louder than others.
View Quote

HMM, you have me thinking. I have never shot my Omegas threaded on. How much quieter are they compared to ASR mounted?

I have two Omegas, but one lives one a 10.5" 5.56. Maybe using it direct thread with the 223 end cap would make sense for that dedicated purpose. Shorter, quieter and no risk of running a 6.8 or 308 bullet through the 223 end cap.

On the noisier vs quieter AR's I suspect an AR with an adjustable gas block set up for 4:00 ejection with the ammo you are using at the moment, and well lubed, is going to be quieter than the same rifle without adjusted gas and running drier.

JPK
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:04:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the answer.  My experience with suppressed Tavors was that they were absolute shit host guns.

On a 16" midlength AR, the Specwar556 is a tiny bit quieter than the Specwar762 or Omega with 762 anchor brake.  I literally just did that today at work trying to decide if the Omega was worth the extra money.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:49:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The supersonic crack is simply going to be loud.  There is no way around it.    If you shoot it without ears on, you will cause hearing damage.

I have shot the Omega on a 5.56 side by side against older - but very nice - 5.56 cans on otherwise identical rifles.   Regular setup with the .30 cal brake endcap.   The Omega was both quieter and lower in tone.   I'm sure some of the newer 5.56 specific cans might meter better, but if they're heavier and don't subjectively sound better, what is the point?

I'm not convinced that the 5.56 cap is worth bothering with.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"If you shoot multiple calibers through your Omega and swap brake and end caps, it isn't  a question of  if you will shoot a larger caliber through the 223 end cap, it is a question of when."
View Quote

This is exactly why mine does not have a 5.56 end cap.  I want to get a flat 7.62 end cap though.  I don't really feel the need for the brake on the end and think shaving an inch or so off the end would be a worthwhile tradeoff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top