Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2016 2:21:18 PM EDT
I picked up an Omega 7.62 and plan on using it for precision work with .308 bolt actions/ARs as well as range play with 5.56. TAB Gear was highly suggested to me but once I went on their website, they state they don't advise their product for high frequency shooting of 5.56. Do most people only use a cover to prevent a morage when shooting? Are there any functional covers that are rated for rapid shooting?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:43:35 PM EDT
[#1]
5.56 cans can get stupidly hot, really quickly. Do you, by chance, happen to have a RR, LL or DIAS? Do you like to pretend you do? If so, you are not really the target audience for suppressor cover makers.

5.56 through a .30 can might not be as bad because of the larger volume...??

But in general, I see them more as a mirage-buster for a long range, larger caliber gun. If you find one that doesn't melt, catch on fire, or get hot enough on the outside to sear flesh when run hard on an AR, please share.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a point to a cover on can that rides a 5.56mm SBR?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It can offer limited protection against instantaneous burns when you accidentally touch the can during/after shooting.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:46:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It can offer limited protection against instantaneous burns when you accidentally touch the can during/after shooting.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my thought in addition to being able to handle it a little more quickly to change it to another host instead of bringing an oven mitt with you to the range.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:57:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I was going to look into covers myself.  I was handling the rifle and managed to tag myself with a hot suppressor which caused me to drop the front end on a plastic bag on the bench.  It instantly melted and wrapped around the suppressor.  Luckily with a little scraping it came off.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:18:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Manta sleeve for my YHM Phantom 556.

It's a bit goofy-looking, but if it prevents me from burning myself or melting anything I may lean my rifle against, that's a small price to pay.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 4:20:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out Bowers Group, $25-$35.  Work great
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I got a HAD cover for my SakerK on my 12.5. Lit the sucker on fire after 3 mag dumps.
I wouldn't recommend it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:01:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I got a HAD cover for my SakerK on my 12.5. Lit the sucker on fire after 3 mag dumps.
I wouldn't recommend it.
View Quote

Are they marketed for sustained fire like that? I thought they were geared towards SPRs or boltguns
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:22:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a cole-tec summit series for my saker 762, I only use it when I'm firing slow cycles on my otbr (556). It seems to work well with heat mirage and it's easy to take the can off without burning my hand. Which is why I bought it. Bonus was being able to design the colors/look of it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:40:33 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got a Rifles Only HAD and I couldn't keep it from walking off my Omega 7.62.  It was affecting accuracy every time it moved.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:46:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View Quote
All day. Only "problem" I've had, is that the sleeve will slide to the rear of the can over 200 rounds.

Knocks teh IR way down, I don't burn my leg in a vehicle, or while transitioning to a pistol.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 8:56:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
5.56 cans can get stupidly hot, really quickly. Do you, by chance, happen to have a RR, LL or DIAS? Do you like to pretend you do? If so, you are not really the target audience for suppressor cover makers.

5.56 through a .30 can might not be as bad because of the larger volume...??

But in general, I see them more as a mirage-buster for a long range, larger caliber gun. If you find one that doesn't melt, catch on fire, or get hot enough on the outside to sear flesh when run hard on an AR, please share.
View Quote

I can assure you that it does not change a thing. 30 rounds through a SiCo Omega and it will burn through a leather glove..... ask me how i know

Ended up going with Cole Tac. They have great discount codes with a couple YouTube channels too.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Suppressor covers work great for the PRS crowd. After that, they are dumb.

I have yet to see a suppressor cover that hasn't failed. Even the high dollar fancy griffon ones.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:25:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have yet to see a suppressor cover that hasn't failed. Even the high dollar fancy griffon ones.
View Quote

Does this include the Bowers and Manta sleeves?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:44:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

neit on the bowers, but I have personally destroyed a manta... still got some of it on my specwar
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yup, I have a Griffon one...tightened it down to the point where I was sure I was going to snap one of the cords...put 2 mags through it, and about halfway through the 3rd mag, the cover slid off and a round basically split it in half

The only one I've not heard a raft of negative reviews of is the Bowers cover. That'll be the next one I buy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:24:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

neit on the bowers, but I have personally destroyed a manta... still got some of it on my specwar
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it bad for the can to keep a cover on it instead of letting the heat dissipate?
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Is it bad for the can to keep a cover on it instead of letting the heat dissipate?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's hot enough to do any real damage, whatever is one there would burn up long before that temp is reached.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yup, I have a Griffon one...tightened it down to the point where I was sure I was going to snap one of the cords...put 2 mags through it, and about halfway through the 3rd mag, the cover slid off and a round basically split it in half

The only one I've not heard a raft of negative reviews of is the Bowers cover. That'll be the next one I buy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. I bought four of those expensive ass Griffon HMMS's right out of the gate.

I'd tighten the cords down with as much elbow grease as possible. The covers will still easily slide forward on the can from even just a few rounds of 223/556 or 308. After a mag or two, you already need to slide them all the way back so the cover doesn't end up with a bullet hole in it. Not sure you can even tighten the cord enough to keep their covers even slightly in place from even modest use.

A couple weeks ago, I had one of my cords snap mid third mag from heat during just some slightly rapid fire use on one of my 10.3s. I've pretty much tossed in the towel on them at this point.

Their only purpose is for mirage dissipation for precision shooting. I'll continue to run one on my AR-10 that I'm always shooting in the 300 to 1000 yard range for precision. The other three, assuming Griffon will send me a replacement cord for the one (or if I'll have to buy one), I'll probably be selling for a good loss at this point.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How did the Manta fail? I have one on my YHM can and am looking forward to shooting it soon, but don't want to melt anything to it. I have a Bumpfire stock that I sometimes use, so it will get very hot at times.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 3:08:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
All day. Only "problem" I've had, is that the sleeve will slide to the rear of the can over 200 rounds.

Knocks teh IR way down, I don't burn my leg in a vehicle, or while transitioning to a pistol.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66373504/20160820_125018.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do you get that to stay on your Saker?  I used one for a while on my Saker 556.  Typically, it would be halfway slid off the front of the can before I got through a mag or two.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 5:20:42 AM EDT
[#24]
I just lay my rifle in the dirt until it cools.  Let the heat out, don't keep it in.  Put your beer in a cozy, not your suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 7:15:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
How do you get that to stay on your Saker?  I used one for a while on my Saker 556.  Typically, it would be halfway slid off the front of the can before I got through a mag or two.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine are on YHM's and were a real bitch to get on.  That being said, no movement once on there.  I am a happy customer.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 9:07:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Let the heat out, don't keep it in.  Put your beer in a cozy, not your suppressor.
View Quote

I've always thought along those same lines. I just use enough cover to give me something to grab if needed.

I don't think one ever used a cover on a rifle can. But there have been a few times when a mirage cover would have come in handy.

Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:30:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 8:56:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1.  you won't burn your self if you touch it
2.  it helps with heat mirage looking through your scope
View Quote

...those are precisely the reasons why people buy covers in the first place

I don't think anyone expects these things to cool down cans faster. They expect to be able to handle them without needing pain management medication more often with them on...

And, if you're shooting high volumes or want to try to be precise, mirage mitigation is also why people use them...

If you didn't care about either, then there's no reason to run with a suppressor cover. If you're running drills and have a drill that has you shoot 10-15 rounds then sling and switch to sidearm...you want a suppressor cover.  Either that, or you want a skin graft. One or the other
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top