Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2016 1:01:24 AM EDT
My impatience is getting the best of me and I am strongly considering purchasing an AAC M4-2000 that my LGS has in stock. I ordered two Knights Armament NT4 suppressors for my pair of SR-15 rifles from another LGS a few months ago and they have yet to arrive. At the present moment, I do not own any centerfire rifles cans. I have multiple pistol cans + rimfire cans in transfer and a Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1 on a form 3 via the Capitol Armory. Having said that, is the AAC M4-2000 worth having? Or is considered dated? The LGS in question only has the AAC M4-2000 in stock + the Surefire SOCOM Mini Monster. I go through with the purchase, it will not hinder me from purchasing the NT4's or a Dead Air Sandman S. Once my NT4's arrive, I can always toss the AAC M4-2000 on one of my Colt 6920's.

As always, I greatly appreciate your input.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:09:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Extremely quiet and durable, but there's better mounts. I don't see any reason to buy one when there's cans like the Recce 5 that slightly edge out the M4-2000 in every category. Length, weight, mount, etc.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:19:56 AM EDT
[#2]
My boss has 1 and before I shot it, I thought since it was an older can it wouldnt be all that good.  But when I shot it i was really surprised.   Specially since he has had the can for years
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:30:02 AM EDT
[#3]
The NT4's you bought are louder and have more mount to can interface play...  You'll be fine with the 51T mounts.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:03:11 AM EDT
[#4]
It's a great can. It was my first Centerfire rifle can. Since then, I have added some .30cal cans. I like my dedicated 5.56 can (smaller/lighter than its big brothers.)

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Still a great can, and I have the earlier Mod 07 ones.

Wish I had picked up a Mod 08 and Mini 4 before 41F.

The latch interface isn't the best but still get the job done.  From what I've read so far AAC has their shit together when it comes to CS and if the latch wears out they'll replace it.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 4:49:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The NT4's you bought are louder and have more mount to can interface play...  You'll be fine with the 51T mounts.
View Quote

This.

Love mine on one of my 10.3s:

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:06:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I've beat the piss out of mine. Front blast baffle looks rough, but I have 8k plus through it. While inot a big fan of mount or lever, both have held up for me since 2011.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#8]
What is the pricing like?  Didn't some AAC cans come up in the deals list yesterday?

There is a big thread on "what's the best mount" in the last week, and AAC didn't win the contest but was fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:36:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is the pricing like?  Didn't some AAC cans come up in the deals list yesterday?

There is a big thread on "what's the best mount" in the last week, and AAC didn't win the contest but was fine.
View Quote

$499 at Cherokee gun in GA
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Hell of a lot better can those that shitty ass Knights
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:50:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.  I grabbed an AAC Mini-4 they found in the back still in the box for $499 a few months ago to throw on my standard length ARs.  Haven't been by recently to see what they have left, but they had a few AAC cans at $499 awhile back.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:43:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.  I grabbed an AAC Mini-4 they found in the back still in the box for $499 a few months ago to throw on my standard length ARs.  Haven't been by recently to see what they have left, but they had a few AAC cans at $499 awhile back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No mini 4s. I called yesterday
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wow I paid around $700 in July. That was the last can I got in before 41f. I got it from Capitol Armory.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 1:29:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.  They special ordered one for someone and then the deal fell through and it was gathering dust in the back.  I went in for my bi-weekly visit and it was calling my name along with the other 6 I got there, so I grabbed it.

Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:20:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I got my last two Mini 4s from Cherokee for $399 each last summer.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought a M42000 for around $500

For that much yes, I would say it is worth any limitations the older mount design has.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I likes mine.  Alot.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:39:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Bought a M42000 for around $500

For that much yes, I would say it is worth any limitations the older mount design has.
View Quote

What exactly are the "limitations?"
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:26:07 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
The M4-2000 is a solid performer and on it's 8th revision. Many happy customers and one of the only 556 cans with a NSN#
View Quote

I assume if someone calls your its a S/N, pre-purchase, you'll verify if it's a mod 7 or mod 8?
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#21]
I have been pretty happy with mine.  Had it probably 8 years now or so.

Considering picking up a second one at a $499 pricetag.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 12:15:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Still after all these years it's one of the best 5.56 cans and if you can get one at $500 FO hard. Great sounding can and very durable. " />
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I guess I have been falling down in my duty of finding deals for the community at Cherokee.  
View Quote

Ya, pretty much
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 1:52:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Ya, pretty much
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess I have been falling down in my duty of finding deals for the community at Cherokee.  

Ya, pretty much

https://www.facebook.com/CherokeeGun/

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#26]
If you thought that the nt4 was worth ordering than the m4-2000 will blow your mind. That being said there are far lighter, shorter, and better made cans out there that come damn close to the m4-2Ks performance all while having a better mounting system.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you thought that the nt4 was worth ordering than the m4-2000 will blow your mind. That being said there are far lighter, shorter, and better made cans out there that come damn close to the m4-2Ks performance all while having a better mounting system.
View Quote

Very true...but not at $499...
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once you factor in the tax stamp on what amounts to a "lifetime" purchase, you're looking at $699 for an M4-2k or $849 for a Recce 5.  What's $150 in eight years?

That's where bargain shopping for cans doesn't really add up for me. And I'm very happy with my SDN-6, just under no illusions that there's not better cans out there now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 10:44:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Once you factor in the tax stamp on what amounts to a "lifetime" purchase, you're looking at $699 for an M4-2k or $849 for a Recce 5.  What's $150 in eight years?

That's where bargain shopping for cans doesn't really add up for me. And I'm very happy with my SDN-6, just under no illusions that there's not better cans out there now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I like my SDN6 as well...even after its issues... But I'd buy another 51T AAC before stooping to the point of buying a Griffin product based off of the owners past rants and BS here and elsewhere in the past.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:10:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:41:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^To the letter, what this guy said.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 1:07:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm pretty sure the Specwar556 has it beat in size/weight, db, etc.. And for damn sure the ASR mount is better.

If its on a great promo, do it.  I promo'd out my last one because I'm trying to ditch all my AAC stuff, it made a great deal for a guy who was going to marry it to a single gun.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 7:53:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

GP and I have definitely disagreed on them in the past but the specwar 556K that I have is a top notch performer with a great size and weight, and didn't cost me much more than the m4-2ks run. I won't pretend the ASR is a perfect mount, but it is a far cry from the AAC mounts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
GP and I have definitely disagreed on them in the past but the specwar 556K that I have is a top notch performer with a great size and weight, and didn't cost me much more than the m4-2ks run. I won't pretend the ASR is a perfect mount, but it is a far cry from the AAC mounts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have 11 rifles with 51 or 90T mounts. I've been using them all for years, and I think they're great. Never had a problem, and I don't really know what could go wrong with them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2016 11:56:09 PM EDT
[#35]
The M4-2000 was my first can and I still love it.  I've never had problems with it or the mount.  Sample size of one but I'd have no problem recommending it to somebody, especially for that price.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 12:21:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

556k is a great choice. It sounds the same as the fullsize version IMO at a much lighter weight.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 4:24:54 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have 11 rifles with 51 or 90T mounts. I've been using them all for years, and I think they're great. Never had a problem, and I don't really know what could go wrong with them.
View Quote

Yep.

Still waiting to hear what's "wrong" with the 51T mounts.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

Latch can wear out but ill take that over the unavoidable problems associated with other mounts any day of the week
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yep.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

No you're not. Unless this is your first venture into this forum, and you don't know how to use Google, there is absolutely no way you don't know what the inherent issues with it are.

1. The latch is a wear item.
2. The latch cannot be replaced by the end user.

Sound like a good combination of conditions?

3. The teeth on the mount can wear out as well.
4. The silencer doesn't always lock up 100% solidly because there's finite positions for it top tighten into, which is inherent to the design of toothed mounting systems. The larger the teeth, the more of an issue this is. There's a reason 18T is gone.

51T is not a horrible mounting system. When it came out nearly a decade ago, it was comparatively even better. Now, it's comparatively outclassed by mounting systems like Dead Air, Griffin, and Rugged to name a few.

I have a 51T can, and I like it a lot. I bought it several years ago, and I wouldn't buy it today. If I could go back several years and redo my decision, I still think I would buy it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

No you're not. Unless this is your first venture into this forum, and you don't know how to use Google, there is absolutely no way you don't know what the inherent issues with it are.

4. The silencer doesn't always lock up 100% solidly because there's finite positions for it top tighten into, which is inherent to the design of toothed mounting systems. The larger the teeth, the more of an issue this is. There's a reason 18T is gone.

51T is not a horrible mounting system. When it came out nearly a decade ago, it was comparatively even better. Now, it's comparatively outclassed by mounting systems like Dead Air, Griffin, and Rugged to name a few.

I have a 51T can, and I like it a lot. I bought it several years ago, and I wouldn't buy it today. If I could go back several years and redo my decision, I still think I would buy it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I know plenty, bud.

I know everything you just stated CAN be issues, but aren't common or rapidly occurring.

I own 7 51T AAC cans. My 3 oldest ones are approaching 4 years of good use at this point. Never a hiccup, and all rock solid.

The bit of play you speak of affects nothing as well. The KAC NT4 has "play" that makes the 51Ts seem like the tightest fit in the industry, and no one ever acts like it's a negative impact on the NT4s. It's as if it's become cool for some around here to just rag on the 51T mounts and cans, even if they've never owned one (I realize you in particular do), despite the fact that the AAC 51T cans have one of the longest and strongest track records in the industry.

And I also know that if one of the uncommon issues does ever occur with your 51T can, that AAC will swiftly take care of it.

No system is flawless, and immune to potential problems. I know that as well.

But stay on your condescending high horse. You can save that kinda talk for someone else next time.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:40:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I know plenty, bud.

I know everything you just stated CAN be issues, but aren't common or rapidly occurring.

I own 7 51T AAC cans. My 3 oldest ones are approaching 4 years of good use at this point. Never a hiccup, and all rock solid.

The bit of play you speak of affects nothing as well. The KAC NT4 has "play" that makes the 51Ts seem like the tightest fit in the industry, and no one ever acts like it's a negative impact on the NT4s. It's as if it's become cool for some around here to just rag on the 51T mounts and cans, even if they've never owned one (I realize you in particular do), despite the fact that the AAC 51T cans have one of the longest and strongest track records in the industry.

And I also know that if one of the uncommon issues does ever occur with your 51T can, that AAC will swiftly take care of it.

But stay on your condescending high horse. You can save that kinda talk for someone else next time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.

I know plenty, bud.

People here hate objective facts sooooo much when they own a silencer. I didn't complain about AAC's customer service, I pointed out conditions which are inherent to the design of the suppressor.

You just made the ignore list, "bud."
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:39:57 PM EDT
[#42]
See ya.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Nevermind
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Doubletap
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:27:30 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nevermind
View Quote

I thought you actually made a really good point, and I appreciate what you said before the edit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:33:53 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I thought you actually made a really good point, and I appreciate what you said before the edit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Nevermind

Color me curious as shit.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:38:31 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nevermind

Essentially, the guy I was responding to is the one who said he was waiting to hear what's wrong with the 51T...so I told him what was wrong with it. He just didn't actually want to hear it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:41:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nevermind

Just that GP gave a good argument for what was "wrong" about the 51t and that there was no need to get offended by it. I suppose he could of worded more kindly though. Either way I would hate for this thread to become derailed.

I think the M4-2000 is still a great can with it's weakest component being the mount. It led the industry for quite a long time for a hard use can.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#49]
And essentially, the guy who told me what is "wrong" with the 51T felt the need to be rude and condescending about it. And then when his comments were countered with other objective facts, he didn't want to hear them.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 3:28:40 PM EDT
[#50]
I used a M4-2000 a few times a couple years ago on my precision AR. Great sounding can.

I do remember not liking the 51T mount, which is the reason why I went with another brand. Reason why I didn't like it, was that there was some slight rotational play to it when mounted normally. This affected accuracy. It took a rifle that was shooting Sub-MOA to about 1.5 MOA with the same loads.

I also remember, that I could crank on the can, and basically cam it against the next tooth. This eliminated the rotational play, and corresponding accuracy issues, but the can would eventually "shoot loose" from it's cammed position against the next tooth, and returned to having slight rotational play.

On most carbines, SBRs, etc. it wouldn't matter, but since I was looking at putting it on a precision rifle, I didn't like that. I've never used an NT4 can and if it has that same play, I would pass on that as well.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top