Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 12:32:40 AM EDT
I'd like to have a silencer refinished.  Thinking FDE cerakote.  

My concern is the dealer / model info and serial number will probably "disappear" due to shallow etching.

What are my options here?

Re-label the can after the cerakote?  Engrave the info deeper before finishing?  Advice welcome...

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:35:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Curious, what can?

I recently cerakoted a F1 can with no adverse effects to the engraving.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#2]
As you mention having it refinished, rather than refinishing it yourself, by far your best action is to send it to the manufacturer.
Most of them already use Cerakote, and charge relatively little for a refinish. The lettering will look the same as it does now.

If you want to try it yourself, you want the Cerakote C Series (high temp).
Flat Dark Earth is: FDE-C-246Q.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Thousands of silencers are coated every day.

How do you think the manufacturers do it?

Paint is literally one of the last steps before it goes in a box.

You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:34:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Here's the can in question...

I'm not sure how the labeling was done...  Etching?  Laser?  You can feel it so it IS beneath the surface of the tube.

Having experience with both rattle can and gun painting, I have no doubt the lettering will be covered no matter how thin I can make the coats.

If that happens, do I need to have Griffin do the lettering or can I have that done locally?
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I use engine enamel because Im too impatient to send it off. If the serial number is of concern, lightly spray that area, or not spray it at all.

My cans finish never seem to hold up to be honest. I guess from the heat and getting beat around on things.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top