Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2016 5:43:17 PM EDT
Hi guys ... I'm new to shooting my rifles with silencers.  I have a few coming in and wanted to use the geissele alignment rods to ensure proper alignment.

I installed a 762 ASR mount on a Wilson Combat 223 wylde heavy barrel that is threaded in the same pitch as your typical 7.62/.308 barrel.  Figured I would just run this setup with my Specwar 762.

I used the supplied shims and rockset when installing the ASR mount.

Here is a picture of the Alignment Rod just through the ASR mount. Looks good ...

And here is after I install the Specwar 762 ... although this would probably be ok, I'd like to get it centered as well as possible.  

I inspected and cleaned the barrel threads prior to install as well as cleaned the ASR and Specwar threads ...

Here is the same Specwar 762 installed on one of my Remington 700 .308 rifles with a different ASR mount...

They all seem to go low left a little ... would you assume this is the mounting setup on the Specwar itself???
Do I need to worry about any of this?  None of the rods hit baffles or end of suppressor but they are not perfectly centered ...

Thanks,
Tim
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe email Silencer Co and ask them, they are very helpful. Ive never used an alignment rod on the 3 rifles i use my Specwar on and have never had any issues.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe email Silencer Co and ask them, they are very helpful. Ive never used an alignment rod on the 3 rifles i use my Specwar on and have never had any issues.
View Quote

Will do ... thank you.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#3]
What happens if you turn the rod 90 degrees? Does it change the position of it being off centered?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What happens if you turn the rod 90 degrees? Does it change the position of it being off centered?
View Quote

I tried that and it didn't really seem to change much, maybe a hair but still pulling to the original side.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:27:21 AM EDT
[#5]
looks fine to me
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
looks fine to me
View Quote

thanks man ... you're probably right ... I'm new to this and was just thinking they should be dead nuts centered ... but I've been reading that lots of folks see some variation from center and have no issues ...
I sent a note off to Silencerco as well just to be sure ... I hope to shoot these soon ...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:48:04 AM EDT
[#7]
That will be fine, especially on a 223 host. Small bullet with large bore...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:48:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 10:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Should be fine.  When they're really off, you know it.  It's very, very obvious.  

View Quote

Thanks ! ... I appreciate everyone's help ...
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:13:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The rods aren't going to be a perfect zero clearance fit in all barrels; actual bore diameter can vary slightly.
Gravity alone can make the rod look that far off, as seen in your photo..  
Rotate the gun not just 90 degrees, but 180 and 270, and see how the rod sits.
Will bet it sags nearly the same in all positions.

Also, with the rifle vertical, pull the rod out just enough to hang on to, and as gently as possible, without pressure, move it towards all four quadrants.
It will have a slight bit of play, but should deflect about the same amount in every position.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The rods aren't going to be a perfect zero clearance fit in all barrels; actual bore diameter can vary slightly.

Also, with the rifle vertical, pull the rod out just enough to hang on to, and as gently as possible, without pressure, move it towards all four quadrants.
It will have a slight bit of play, but should deflect about the same amount in every position.
View Quote

Thanks ... good advise ... will verify
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 2:50:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
looks fine to me
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:04:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hence why I never bought into buying the rods. Wasted $$ imo unless you need 100% proof somethings screwed up.

Visual down the bore has worked for me 99.99% of the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top