Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2016 1:32:22 AM EDT
After 6 months of waiting I found out from the ATF on Friday that my AEM 5 suppressor has been approved and now is in the process of mailing the stamp to my dealer

My Q:
How do i go about securing the Ops Inc collar to the SPR profile barrel because when I tighten the screw, it just breaks loose after 'X' amount of shots. Do i need to drill a dimple into my barrel to allow the screw to recess into the barrel or just add a tab or lock tight to the threads???

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:33:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe ask ADCO?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
After 6 months of waiting I found out from the ATF on Friday that my AEM 5 suppressor has been approved and now is in the process of mailing the stamp to my dealer

My Q:
How do i go about securing the Ops Inc collar to the SPR profile barrel because when I tighten the screw, it just breaks loose after 'X' amount of shots. Do i need to drill a dimple into my barrel to allow the screw to recess into the barrel or just add a tab or lock tight to the threads???

View Quote

The recommended installation is to use a drop of blue (242 or 243) loctite to seat the collar. Green (290) loctite can be used as well, but is a lot more runny during install and will require a little more heat to disassemble.The set screw is there just to help keep the collar in place until the loctite cures (at least 24 hours for full cure). You shouldn't be cranking down on the set screw, as it's pretty small and can strip easily should you ever need to remove it for rebarreling. In addition, if you torque down on the small set screw, you could cause a burr to form on the barrel, thus making removal of the collar virtually impossible even with heating and can ruin the barrel (I learned this the hard way long ago).

HTH
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The recommended installation is to use a drop of blue (242 or 243) loctite to seat the collar. Green (290) loctite can be used as well, but is a lot more runny during install and will require a little more heat to disassemble.The set screw is there just to help keep the collar in place until the loctite cures (at least 24 hours for full cure). You shouldn't be cranking down on the set screw, as it's pretty small and can strip easily should you ever need to remove it for rebarreling. In addition, if you torque down on the small set screw, you could cause a burr to form on the barrel, thus making removal of the collar virtually impossible even with heating and can ruin the barrel (I learned this the hard way long ago).

HTH
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Q:

HTH

Just so that im clear, are you saying that the locktite goes between the collar and the barrel?
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 2:05:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Just so that im clear, are you saying that the locktite goes between the collar and the barrel?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My Q:

HTH

Correct. Just a drop is needed, and then spread it around and wipe off the excess.
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I used red per ADCO's instructions, I don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:17:13 AM EDT
[#6]
I've always used Rocksett between the collar and the barrel and on the set screw.   I have not have trouble removing them, and only had one (out of 3) come loose after ~5 years of shooting.

I would defer to instructions from ADCO or AE, though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:02:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've always used Rocksett between the collar and the barrel and on the set screw.   I have not have trouble removing them, and only had one (out of 3) come loose after ~5 years of shooting.

I would defer to instructions from ADCO or AE, though.
View Quote

Thanks. Ill give AE a call tomorrow.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 9:21:26 PM EDT
[#8]
ADCO confirmed the use of red loctite to the collar seat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top