Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2016 4:43:54 PM EDT
I have a Winchester M70 in 300 H&H with a thin profile barrel. I would like to have it eventually threaded for a suppressor and since it has a .552" muzzle the only option is a 1/2x28 thread which will only leave a .026" shoulder. I understand I would need to put a bushing on the muzzle but there is another issue. When one puts a 1/2 thread on a .30 barrel is there enough meat left in the barrel walls after threading to hold up and not develop problems with stretching or anything else?

I'm starting to feel that it would be impractical to thread this barrel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Chop, then thread, get to a thicker part of the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Chop, then thread, get to a thicker part of the barrel.
View Quote

Hmm not sure if I will end up doing that. I had this barrel specifically made 27" so I could step back my powder charge and still get the same velocity as the 24" that was on it before.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Press or weld a sleeve onto the last inch of the barrel in order to get the thickness you need for proper threads and an adequate shoulder.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:57:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The sleeve is the only way you'll get to a 5/8" thread, and that would be your best thread choice for this.  Silver solder would be a good method.

If a slight barrel shortening will get you to .560, you'll be at the edge of a 9/16" thread spec, which seems to be the minimum recommended for full power .30 cal.
You would need to thread long and add a collar, which would be faced off to make the shoulder.
I've only done this one time, but it worked out very well as a last resort to keep the original barrel.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 4:03:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a .308 threaded 1/2-28 that I've never had any trouble with. Seems to hold up a 21 OZ TROS Envoy II with just fine (firing M118LR, FGMM, M80 Ball, etc).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top