Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2016 8:06:09 AM EDT
I just started reviewing a FNX 45 Tactical as a suppressor host and I'd like to hear from longtime users/owners. Is this a good setup? How would you rank it among your other suppressed pistols? What suppressors sound the best? Positives/negatives?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:29:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Been shooting mine for about a year with a SiCo Octane .45, but I don't have any other threaded pistols to compare to YET . Currently my only other center fire "pistol" host is a CZ Scorpion. The FNX 45/Octane 45 combo (shot wet) is quieter at my ear than my Scorpion SBR/Octane .45 (SubSonic ammo) is shouldered

I'm loving it, very comfortable shooting wet, shooting dry seems to be pushing it for my ears, but my friends don't mind it. I don't get blow back and crud splattered on me, although the gun gets pretty dirty, especially when shot wet. It's been reliable, both suppressed and unsuppressed, and it is my nightstand gun right now.

Probably not much help, ask again in a couple years when I have more cans and hosts hopefully! Lol
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been running mine for a few months. Compared to a glock 21, 17 and ATI 1911. It is the best IMO, reliably runs while filthy. I feel there's less blowback with it than the glock. But the 1911 has a lot less blowback compared to it though. But I plan on trying to snag me a USP tact sometime to compare the two later on. As far as my experience goes I feel it is the best host but YMMV
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:09:51 AM EDT
[#3]
My .45 hosts include the FNX Tactical, a USP Tactical and a threaded 1911 (specifically a Kimber Custom with an aftermarket barrel).

The FNX Tactical is OK in my book. Doesn't quite seem to have the fit and finish of the USP Tactical and doesn't sound quite as good as my 1911 suppressed.

It's a big and heavy gun, especially when fully loaded. I've tried messing around with all the different backstrap size/texture combinations but can't find one that my hand completely agrees with.

Functionally the gun has been great - no failures when shot suppressed and the provision for a slide mounted optic is nice.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine. I tried an RMR on it but couldn't get used to it and after a year I gave up. I shoot it much better with the factory night sights. Been 100% for well over 1000 rounds. I use an octane 45 and yes it does get really dirty.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:07:24 PM EDT
[#5]
An FNP45T is my only handgun, and I mostly shoot it with my Octane 45. I haven't experienced any gassy blow back....but it does shoot little specs of crud back at my face depending on ammo. It's been 100% reliable with regular FMJ ammo, I have had a few hornady critical defense (the ones with the red rubber cavity plug) HP rounds bind up while going into the chamber. But I haven't tried any other HP ammo as of yet to determine if it's strictly an issue with that certain HP ammo.

Edit for Pic.

Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Great stuff thanks. I'll be using it with my Octane 45HD as many of you are.

Anybody daily carry this beast?
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 3:22:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great stuff thanks. I'll be using it with my Octane 45HD as many of you are.

Anybody daily carry this beast?
View Quote

Hahahahahaha! Maybe with the weather up there you could get away with it! Shorts and a t shirt in FL it's kinda tough. I have done it but I usually carry a g19 or g36 depending on mood. Great nightstand gun with a light though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:31:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Great thread. I'm also looking for a 45 host and have been considering the FNX. I'm torn between it and a p220.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#9]
If you guys don't mind, post up some pics of your FNX setups.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:11:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I love mine. I tried an RMR on it but couldn't get used to it and after a year I gave up. I shoot it much better with the factory night sights. Been 100% for well over 1000 rounds. I use an octane 45 and yes it does get really dirty.
View Quote

I had the same RDS experience, tried a Burris FF3 but I was less accurate and slower with it than without. After a few months it came off
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:18:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing special but here is mine
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s757.photobucket.com/user/ranchhand112/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160703_074516.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/ranchhand112/Mobile%20Uploads/20160703_074516.jpg</a>
View Quote

Absolute sex. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 9:29:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s757.photobucket.com/user/ranchhand112/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160703_074516.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i757.photobucket.com/albums/xx216/ranchhand112/Mobile%20Uploads/20160703_074516.jpg</a>
View Quote

So nice! This is on my list of pistols to buy next.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:14:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you guys don't mind, post up some pics of your FNX setups.
View Quote

I'm not the best photographer. This is 2 years ago with RMR still on.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I shot a friend's with an Octane 45 Here recently. It seemed to have more blowback and much more port noise than the other .45 we were shooting with the same Octane 45 a Sig 1911. The Sig was comfortable to shoot without ear protection, the FNX 45 not so much. I will say it was easy to shoot though with the can attached, pointed very naturally.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I shot a friend's with an Octane 45 Here recently. It seemed to have a more blowback and much more port noise than the other .45 we were shooting with the can a Sig 1911. The Sig was comfortable to shoot without ear protection, the FNX 45 not so much. I will say it was easy to shoot though with the can attached, pointed very naturally.
View Quote

The octane 45 is known to have more blow back than most other cans.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:33:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I shot a friend's with an Octane 45 Here recently. It seemed to have more blowback and much more port noise than the other .45 we were shooting with the can a Sig 1911. The Sig was comfortable to shoot without ear protection, the FNX 45 not so much. I will say it was easy to shoot though with the can attached, pointed very naturally.

I understand that. I was saying that it seemed to have even more on the FNX 45 as Compared to the Sig 1911 we were also shooting with the same Octane 45.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 1:57:37 PM EDT
[#18]
your first post was informative when you compared the two pistols with the same suppressor. thank you for the info (pmodas)
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#19]
I love mine with my 45 Osprey, it's almost like that can was made for the FNX45 tactical!
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:46:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I like mine.

FNX .45 wearing a Octane 45HD

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:34:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I love mine. The RMR was only on it for a minute as it lives on an IGFS Glock 17. I find it has less blowback than the Glock and it is super accurate!

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:38:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 6:48:34 PM EDT
[#24]

(I have to save the rest for the TFB review...)
Link Posted: 8/28/2016 11:10:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Nice. Enjoy it!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#26]
The FN FNX 45 Tactical is an excellent suppressor host. I exclusively purchased a SilencerCo Osprey 45 suppressor last December for this pistol. As many have already said, it is as if the Osprey was built with this pistol in mind. Although my suppressor has been stuck in jail since December of last year, I am fortunate that my FFL has a indoor shooting range. As a result, I have shot my can at least once a week since receiving the can without issue. As far as blowback is concerned, I have not experienced any when mounted to my FN FNX 45 Tactical, Glock 21, + Glock 19.

My Osprey 45 was approved Wednesday, August 17th. It is only a matter of days until my paperwork arrives and I can finally take her home!
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:40:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Initial impression: not a fun gun to shoot suppressed. It could be the Octane, but every shot I got hit in the face with bad blowback.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 5:59:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Initial impression: not a fun gun to shoot suppressed. It could be the Octane, but every shot I got hit in the face with bad blowback.
View Quote

I would blame that partially on the Octane, and partially on the ammo your'e shooting. Never fired the FNX-45 in question, but with my Octane 9, I have had similiar issues with P30 and USP, both in 9mm. Try different brand of ammo- and voila! No blowback.
Link Posted: 9/4/2016 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I would blame that partially on the Octane, and partially on the ammo your'e shooting. Never fired the FNX-45 in question, but with my Octane 9, I have had similiar issues with P30 and USP, both in 9mm. Try different brand of ammo- and voila! No blowback.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tried a couple. Blowback was brutal. I was shooting the Octane wet, however.

Beautiful, well made pistol.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 7:12:58 AM EDT
[#30]
I noticed first few mags through my osprey, the blowback was bad. But it got better, if i shoot with my 17 wet or dry I get peppered bad in the face, I rarely use it because of it. And now my FNX has almost nothing, but I'll still get a random spray occasionally.
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#31]
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/10/31/fnx-45-tactical/

Shout out to Hansohn Brothers inside...
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Great write up goloud! I just bought an FNP a few weeks ago and installed a burris fastfire 3. I have a REVO 45 and obsidian in jail. My buddy is waiting on an ocatane. I will compare the 3 when they all get out of jail to see if the REVO and Obsidian have any less blowback on the FN.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#33]

Here's mine in a fantastically crappy pic with a TLR-2G and a Revo 45,  After reading the review at TFB and seeing the picture of the blow back with the Octane, I got to say the blowback with my set up (with the Revo and 230 grain handloads with CFE Pistol) is not even in the same league.  I like the RMR on this rig- the only problem is how quickly it gets dirty since the lens is so close to the ejection port.  I am really, really hoping to get a deer with this set up soon.  With the RMR, it'll put 5 rounds into a 3" circle at 40 yards.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Do it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#35]
I haven't noticed anything like that with my Octane 45 and FNX-45 tactical, even with rapid fire.  I've never shot it wet before though.
Link Posted: 11/1/2016 11:39:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#37]
My debate is the cheaper Black version, or wait for an FDE used.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 1:15:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The FN FNX 45 Tactical is an excellent suppressor host. I exclusively purchased a SilencerCo Osprey 45 suppressor last December for this pistol. As many have already said, it is as if the Osprey was built with this pistol in mind. Although my suppressor has been stuck in jail since December of last year, I am fortunate that my FFL has a indoor shooting range. As a result, I have shot my can at least once a week since receiving the can without issue. As far as blowback is concerned, I have not experienced any when mounted to my FN FNX 45 Tactical, Glock 21, + Glock 19.

<a href="http://s640.photobucket.com/user/986S/media/3F344A1C-6B89-4D9E-9864-A66430AFB38F_zpsui9fjv8l.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu125/986S/3F344A1C-6B89-4D9E-9864-A66430AFB38F_zpsui9fjv8l.jpg</a>

My Osprey 45 was approved Wednesday, August 17th. It is only a matter of days until my paperwork arrives and I can finally take her home!
View Quote

Daaaaaayum!  I don't even want to know how much I have to put myself into debt to get that exact setup.......
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:42:39 AM EDT
[#39]
FNX series, meh - magazine release is way too big which leads to the magazine falling out randomly and the trigger is pretty crappy compared to anything,high end or low end.  

HK usp is better in every way, if you want an expensive huge honkin hangun just get an HK
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#40]
A couple years ago I contemplated getting one of them, but I found the grip texture/stippling to be a little to aggressive for my tastes. I too agree the trigger also could have been better in it too now that I think about it for how much you are paying for it. Still a cool looking firearm.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 9:50:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

They both have the same dealer/ wholesale price, MSRP and Retail MAP.  I went with the black since I just don't like colored pistols (so stop calling my pistol cheap).
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They both have the same dealer/ wholesale price, MSRP and Retail MAP.  I went with the black since I just don't like colored pistols (so stop calling my pistol cheap).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You totally blew a shot at inserting a good "you're racist" joke in there!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:17:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the FDE. And I wish I would have got the black model. I love FDE but the cool factor wore off. Get black unless you have to have everything FDE. BTW, I have FDE knives, phone cases, AR15s, flashlights, plate carriers, holsters etc. But the FDE FNX is meh to me
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 10:25:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
FNX series, meh - magazine release is way too big which leads to the magazine falling out randomly and the trigger is pretty crappy compared to anything,high end or low end.  

HK usp is better in every way, if you want an expensive huge honkin hangun just get an HK
View Quote

Owning both, this is my sentiment as well. The HK USP just feels more refined and less "creaky"

The FNX is kinda neat with the slide mounted optic but I still reach for the USP Tactical when I want to shoot a huge honkin handgun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's racist, he said colored .
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Everyone seems to have forgotten that the FDE one is MUCH more accurate!
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:45:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sold my HK USP to help fund a couple FNX tacticals. No regrets ragrets.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Everyone seems to have forgotten that the FDE one is MUCH more accurate!
View Quote

It's just science.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top