Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2016 9:41:24 PM EDT
I'm giving the NFA game a try again and I'm trying to decide between getting a Tirant 9 or a Sig SRD556-QD.
I realize that those are two very different choices, but I can't seem to figure out which one would be best for quiet shooting. I also haven't been able to find out much about the Sig.

How loud does a suppressed AR sounds when using super sonic ammunition?
Will shooting left handed be excessively uncomfortable with a can on?

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
A suppressed 556 will never impress anyone ever
If you have a line on a Tirant, but it. They're discontinued, awesome cans

Sig has had some serious discrepancies with advertised weight vs actual weight so be warned.

I'd buy the Tirant; you can also shoot 300blk subs with it which WILL be impressive
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:04:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on what you shoot most.  For me, I get more pleasure reloading and shooting for accuracy with my rifles.   Pistols are just an added bonus to my range visit.    First rifle can, get a good 30 cal can.   Pistol,  a 45 based can that you can take apart.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 10:56:36 PM EDT
[#3]
First, a .22 rimfire can on a pistol is just too much fun.  Everyone should have one.
On a .22 rifle with typical hi speed bulk ammo, there is very little difference in volume, as the supersonic crack is much of the noise.
Shooting subsonic .22LR is much quieter, but the ammo expense will go up, assuming you can find any subsonic or target grade 22s.
But, after that, as others have posted, I also found myself gravitating towards the centerfire rifles.
They just work together well, still balance and carry normally, and most important, save my hearing.
The centerfire pistol cans have begun to seem like more of an amusement; not very practical to holster, and do nothing for the dozens of revolvers in my safe.
It also can get very expensive to put a threaded barrel and tall sights on every pistol you want to suppress.
A great amusement, for sure; enormous fun, and it really impresses the new shooters.  
I'm not giving up any of them.

But, if I had to focus on one segment of suppression, it would absolutely be the centerfire rifle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Depends on what you shoot most.  For me, I get more pleasure reloading and shooting for accuracy with my rifles.   Pistols are just an added bonus to my range visit.    First rifle can, get a good 30 cal can.   Pistol,  a 45 based can that you can take apart.
View Quote

^^This.  That being said, if you need something that will be truly quiet, a pistol can and subsonic ammo would be a more appropriate choice.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:21:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
First, a .22 rimfire can on a pistol is just too much fun.  Everyone should have one.
On a .22 rifle with typical hi speed bulk ammo, there is very little difference in volume, as the supersonic crack is much of the noise.
Shooting subsonic .22LR is much quieter, but the ammo expense will go up, assuming you can find any subsonic or target grade 22s.
But, after that, as others have posted, I also found myself gravitating towards the centerfire rifles.
They just work together well, still balance and carry normally, and most important, save my hearing.
The centerfire pistol cans have begun to seem like more of an amusement; not very practical to holster, and do nothing for the dozens of revolvers in my safe.
It also can get very expensive to put a threaded barrel and tall sights on every pistol you want to suppress.
A great amusement, for sure; enormous fun, and it really impresses the new shooters.  
I'm not giving up any of them.

But, if I had to focus on one segment of suppression, it would absolutely be the centerfire rifle.
View Quote

Yup.  30 cal can, 22 can, then one more of each.  Only thing a pistol can works well on for me is a pistol caliber carbine.  A bolt action loaded with subsonic 357 or 44 is lots of fun.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:23:52 PM EDT
[#6]
My general rules for 'first cans'

Rimfire can.  Crazy quiet.  Lives up to the expectation of what a suppressor should do.  

2nd can.  Rifle can.  Get a 308 can, even if you dont own a 308.  Can still shoot 300 wm - 556 for most 308 cans.  

3rd can. Pistol can.  45.  Can suppress 45-9mm.

Then diversify.  556 can.  9mm can
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I would also not discount practical uses
Hunting - preserves hearing, doesn't spook game as bad, recoil management

Home Defense - I'll take deaf over dead any day of the week but I can't imagine touching off an unsuppressed 10.5" 556 in a hallway

SHTF - whether that be something like Katrina or Ferguson, having a short suppressed rifle caliber would be comforting.  

I think a rifle can is much more practical, if you can argue that
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:46:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I'd buy the Tirant; you can also shoot 300blk subs with it which WILL be impressive
View Quote

Speaking of, any idea where to get a piston or adapter so that I can actually use my Ti-Rant on my 300blk.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Get which ever one you will use the most first.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:34:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Unless you shoot 556 exclusively, that would make a poor choice for a first can.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#11]

After reading some responses I ordered a GM-22.
It seems like it's hard to go wrong with a rimfire can for my first one, and the price tag is much easier to swallow. Down the line I'll probably pop for the Sig.
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I purchased a GM-22and a SRD762Ti-QD for my first 2 suppressors in Feb...getting real close now
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If it is the TiRant 45, you can use our adapter - TiRant 45 5/8-24 adapter
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Speaking of, any idea where to get a piston or adapter so that I can actually use my Ti-Rant on my 300blk.

If it is the TiRant 45, you can use our adapter - TiRant 45 5/8-24 adapter

Yep, that's the one! I've been searching everywhere and figured I was going to have to get one made.  I'll be placing an order within a week.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Some people silence guns to impress people or themselves. Others do it to protect their hearing. Some people say rimfire, pistol, rifle. I feel like it should be rifle, pistol, rimfire.

I did rifle, pistol, rifle, rifle, pistol. No interest in shooting rimfire. It's personal preference.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:17:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm in a similar situation. I was all set on getting an omega and dead air mask as my first suppressors, but as of last week got a factory threaded glock 17. Now I really want a ghost, or similar pistol can. I just have to decide if a pistol can is worth another $1000 when I haven't even purchased the mask and omega yet. It would be much easier to put off buying a pistol can if It wasn't for the long and seemingly growing wait times.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought my first 4 cans back in December. I went in with the thought of wanting to be able to suppress as many of my firearms as possible. I currently don't won anything larger in caliber than .357 so I stayed with that as my upper limit. In hindsight I should have maybe planned ahead a little better.

Dead Air Mask 22 - Super happy with this.
Liberty Mystic-X - At liberty being fixed, something was off from the factory. Will be a nice jack of all trades when done. Will split time between  PCC's, SP-01, .357 Lever gun, and A 300 BLK bolt gun.
Liberty Chaotic - Mostly dedicated to my 300 BLK SBR. Nice and short. Will also see use on a 300 BLK Bolt Gun when not using the Mystic-x on it and maybe some .308 rifles. Very content.
Griffin Optimus - It is user serviceable which is nice. Seems heavy in pistol config/rimfire (rifle config is decently light), but will be very durable. I do wish Griffin would have included a few more accessories for the price. For example, they include the .22 cal end cap from the factory but no way to attach the can to any sort of .22 cal firearm. Will be a nice jack of all trades once I buy a few more attachment options. Will mostly find use on pistol and rifle caliber ARs.

If I could do it again, I would have probably picked another can besides the Optimus or Mystic-x that could handle larger calibers. I am happy otherwise. Guess I will just have to buy another can
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:08:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I wanted to cover all my bases so I ended up buying
Dead Air Mask x2
Rugged Obsidian 45
Dead Air Ghost 45M
Rugged Surge (w?5.56 endcap)
Dead Air Sandman L and S
SilencerCo Salvo
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 11:44:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Of your choices, the Tirant. Absolutely get the Tirant. Forget the 556 can.

I've found the most satisfying rounds to shoot suppressed to be 9mm and 300blk.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 12:19:19 PM EDT
[#23]
An AR with a suppressor is better with an adjustable gas block.  Greatly reduces gas in face. Shorting left it no problem.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:13:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I wanted to cover all my bases so I ended up buying
Dead Air Mask x2
Rugged Obsidian 45
Dead Air Ghost 45M
Rugged Surge (w?5.56 endcap)
Dead Air Sandman L and S
SilencerCo Salvo
View Quote

Adequate.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

^^This.  That being said, if you need something that will be truly quiet, a pistol can and subsonic ammo would be a more appropriate choice.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well said here. I shoot rifles 10x more than pistols. So I own a lot more rifle cans.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 6:33:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Check out the gemtech suppressed bolt carrier. Great option for a lefty, especially if you want to keep the FSB and not use an adjustable gas block.

I went trek, 2 form 1 cans, 9mm multimount and have a Griffin sportsmen in waiting. Griffin mounts are pretty awesome and all my rifles are getting taper mounts, even the form 1 can be fitted with a taper mount adapter. You are buying into a mounting system if you want to use qd cans on multiple rifles.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 8:28:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Get a suppressor for whatever you shoot more.
I own 3 rifle suppressors and 0 pistol suppressors.

Suppressing a pistol nearly doubles its weight and size, canceling out the whole concept of a pistol which is a small and lightweight firearm.

On a rifle you can pick a slightly shorter barrel to offset the weight and length of adding a suppressor. You do loose some velocity by going with a shorter barrel but you will get some off that velocity back because of the backpressure created by the suppressor.

You will get gas to the face shooting right or left handed. The best way to reduce it is to go with an adjustable gas block.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Rifle can is most practical, pistol with can is fun to shoot though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Everyone's situation different so you have to determine which e you shoot the most I have young kids so a 22 was the most important thing for me.  My rifle suppressor was next since I have a 11.5" SBR for home defense.  However don't discount a pistol suppressor if you are thinking about buying a PCC.  My scorpion is getting my Obsidian and should be here anytime now.

Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:01:34 PM EDT
[#31]
My Specwar 556 impresses everyone who hears it.   A range oficer with a Surefire can had some serious envy.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 1:02:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Rifle can is most practical, pistol with can is fun to shoot though.
View Quote

I think that's most practical for most people as well, but "practical" is going to come down to what your firearms are for and what emphasis you place on some uses over others.      I think it's hard to go wrong with a good quality .30 cal can, particularly if it's not super heavy or long.

The only reason I shoot centerfire rifle without a can is because:

1.  There is too much other (and more important) stuff hanging from the rifle, even though it has a can mount on it
2.  I'm still waiting on the stamp

Not wanting to clean pistol cans means that I don't shoot them as much as I otherwise might - mostly enough to stay proficient with them.   Then again, I can't say I like cleaning suppressed AR's either.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top