Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/20/2016 1:11:03 AM EDT
I know it seems like a noob question.  I'm not talking about a mag here or there.  I'm talking about a consistent basis just due to cost of subs.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:21:28 AM EDT
[#1]
A 300 rifle can yes.  My Ospreys and YHM Sidewinder pistol cans are subsonic only, but my AAC SDN6 is a fully welded rifle can and can do either.

Eta:  any 30 caliber rifle can will be ok for both.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:30:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A 300 rifle can yes.  My Ospreys and YHM Sidewinder pistol cans are subsonic only, but my AAC SDN6 is a fully welded rifle can and can do either.

View Quote

What about 5.56 through the 300 can?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 3:10:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In general, yes as long as it's a rifle can. IMHO, if your considering buying a pistol can that is "rated" for 300 blk subs, buy it for its primary pistol use and get a separate 30 cal rifle can (sdn-6, sandman S, etc etc.) for 5.56 & 7.62.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#4]
OP;
like everyone else has said, you can shoot 556 and 300blkout (supers and subs) through a 30 caliber rifle can. Pistol cans that are 300blkout rated usually only handle 300blkout subs-but it is best to check with manufacturer to confirm what they recommend/warranty.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 11:15:26 AM EDT
[#5]
OP: why are you being vague? What can are you inquiring about?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 6:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know it seems like a noob question.  I'm not talking about a mag here or there.  I'm talking about a consistent basis just due to cost of subs.
View Quote

What is the make/model.

Let's start there.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

I didn't realize I was being vague.

I thought a can was a can, lol

Its a Griffin Recce 7.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:00:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

Rated on Following barrel lengths 7.5" 5.56mm, 8" 300BLK, 8" 7.62x39, 8" 6.8SPC, 12.5" 7.62x51, and 22" 300Win Mag
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

You couldn't break it if you tried
I have one pending
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 10:50:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have one pending
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

I have one pending

Mine is still in jail.  And with the way things look, it'll be there for a long time.

But I'm starting to buy 300blk ammo when I find it.  So far, I have some supers.  Looking for subs, but not having much luck.  At least not bulk inexpensive ones. I think this will be the only caliber I will be shooting reloads from, just due to the crazy costs.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Mine is still in jail.  And with the way things look, it'll be there for a long time.

But I'm starting to buy 300blk ammo when I find it.  So far, I have some supers.  Looking for subs, but not having much luck.  At least not bulk inexpensive ones. I think this will be the only caliber I will be shooting reloads from, just due to the crazy costs.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

You couldn't break it if you tried l
I have one pending

Casting and reloading is the way to go for 300 blk
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:16:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

I have one pending

Not sure what is considered inexpensive but you can find the 220gr silencerco ammo for $15/20 before shipping which is pretty reasonable for factory subsonic
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Rated on Following barrel lengths 7.5" 5.56mm, 8" 300BLK, 8" 7.62x39, 8" 6.8SPC, 12.5" 7.62x51, and 22" 300Win Mag
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

This.  You can shoot supers thru it super easy
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 12:57:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Honestly, I'd be unimpressed with an octane/Revo/ other SS pistol can that would fail with 300blk supers
Aluminum like a Ti-rant is another story altogether
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 4:30:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Check out Cabelas, they have reasonable prices on subs and suppers. Well up here in Alaska they do, but everything is crazy priced up here.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 3:16:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not sure what is considered inexpensive but you can find the 220gr silencerco ammo for $15/20 before shipping which is pretty reasonable for factory subsonic
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

I have one pending

source? A search shows most are almost double that.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:30:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Able Ammo has the SilencerCo 220gn Harvester for $16.99.  That's the cheapest I'v3 seen it recently.  I've never ordered from them so I don't know what their shipping prices are like.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 6:58:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Seems like it was the 'Black Friday' special at the time, but we got some SiCo 220's and 208's for $9.99/box.  

~$15 is a more normal street price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Subs are usually about $1 per round retail. If you're finding them at $0.75, you should probably pick some up, and if you're finding them at $0.50, then you should buy as much as you can.

This is all assuming you don't reload.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 9:58:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

I have one pending

If you were ever to think of reloading....nows the time.

I can load my own 300 blk with NEW Brass, and still be at 1/2 the price.

With coated lead, and my brass, Im aprox .20 a round ($4 a box)

Do the math, its almost a requirement.

Nothing will pay off the equipment faster then loading 300 blk.

Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:46:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Able Ammo has the SilencerCo 220gn Harvester for $16.99.  That's the cheapest I'v3 seen it recently.  I've never ordered from them so I don't know what their shipping prices are like.
View Quote

Damn that's the one place I haven't looked. I'll have to make a trip up there this weekend. I've bought ammo from them for years, best prices locally. I can't speak for the shipping costs but they are gtg otherwise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

What YHM pistol can do you have?

How do you attach it to a 300 blk.

I have the M2 9mm can in jail.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:09:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

I have one pending

It will be worth the wait I can assure you. I don't have a .300 BLK host but on .223, .243 and 6.8 it's fantastic. I have the Mod 2 and the newer Mod 3 is rated for a 39 dB reduction on .300 BLK subs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 11:54:03 AM EDT
[#24]
It is the YHM 9mm Sidewinder and the YHM 5/8X24 Sidewinder Adaptor. Adaptor
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It is the YHM 9mm Sidewinder and the YHM 5/8X24 Sidewinder Adaptor. Adaptor
View Quote

What did you do about the piston and spring in it. Booster is what I think it is called.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 1:09:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Remove the piston and spring and install adaptor.  That's all there is to it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2016 10:41:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Remove the piston and spring and install adaptor.  That's all there is to it.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:27:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.  Just placed my order yesterday and they've shipped it out today.  That's super fast in this day and age for ammo, lol.  Wasn't even sure if it was in stock actually.  And $10 flat shipping, cant be beat.

I was pricing out subs at Ozark, Freedom, and Fog.   For the price of their reloads, once I factored in shipping, they are very close in price.  Factory fresh was a no brainer in this choice.  Still not cheap at a little over $.80ish per round.  

Supers seem to be around $.50-60 per round.  

Now, what are good self defense subs?  

I saw youtube videos of Lehigh Defense 194gr "Maximum Expansion" cartridge.  Seems to be devastating in tissue.  Only place I've found them for sale is from Lehigh and it's $50 per 20rds.  FFUUUUUUU.  Obviously, I wont need much, but still.  Would love a full tac load without getting raped without lube.

Oh, I also plan on saving my 300 brass, just in case.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#29]
The subs that expand are very expensive, just use a good super, that is what stays in my 300. 125 grain hornady sst
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 11:20:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

I have one pending

the appeal to 300 blackout is how quiet it is for subs and suppression.   I in fact hunt with mine.  Not with subs, although I can for my intended purpose.  I hunt ferral hogs with mine and one of my favorite to shoot suppressed is the Barns TSX 110 grain black tips.  Great bullet.  Suppression on supers also makes it nice if you have an application like hunting.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The subs that expand are very expensive, just use a good super, that is what stays in my 300. 125 grain hornady sst
View Quote

The reason I went with the 300 is for HD.  I didn't want to blow out my ear drums if I have to fire the AR  indoors .  Obviously if that's what it takes to stop the threat, so be it.

My understanding is, shooting a supersonic round indoors will still severely damage your hearing, even when suppressed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 12:05:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

the appeal to 300 blackout is how quiet it is for subs and suppression.   I in fact hunt with mine.  Not with subs, although I can for my intended purpose.  I hunt ferral hogs with mine and one of my favorite to shoot suppressed is the Barns TSX 110 grain black tips.  Great bullet.  Suppression on supers also makes it nice if you have an application like hunting.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

I have one pending

The TSX will over penetrate with ease, correct?  Reason I'm a bit hesitant on that.  Not to mention, it's still loud as hell indoors, right?
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:12:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Barnes Triple Shocks are solid copper bullets that are penetrating by nature, high weight retention with controlled expansion. In general, if Barnes Triple Shocks or Nosler Ballistic Tips don't shoot well out of a gun, you've got issues. I can tell you how hard the 180 gr. TSX is on larger bears out of a 300 RUM. Through the front shoulders, it's like a bolt of lightening hitting them. Obviously an unreasonable comparison  between 300 RUM and 300 blk in terms of velocity and foot pounds, but the point being that the 110 gr. is designed to perform at 300 blk velocities.

And yeah, you would know if it went off indoors
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Barnes Triple Shocks are solid copper bullets that are penetrating by nature, high weight retention with controlled expansion. In general, if Barnes Triple Shocks or Nosler Ballistic Tips don't shoot well out of a gun, you've got issues. I can tell you how hard the 180 gr. TSX is on larger bears out of a 300 RUM. Through the front shoulders, it's like a bolt of lightening hitting them. Obviously an unreasonable comparison  between 300 RUM and 300 blk in terms of velocity and foot pounds, but the point being that the 110 gr. is designed to perform at 300 blk velocities.

And yeah, you would know if it went off indoors
View Quote

With a home/apartment situation, I'll rather not have something that will penetrate all of the walls if I do somehow miss or it goes through someone.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a Griffin Recce 7.

You couldn't break it if you tried l
I have one pending

Casting is the answer for anything it's feasible for. .45-70 costs me just a touch more than CCI Stinger .22LR(my 405gr cast loads run about $8.50/50, might get a lighter mold just to bring cost down a bit more)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top