Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/15/2016 9:40:31 AM EDT
Whats the best place? Anyone actually ever filed a claim or know who actually pays out? Looking for ~20-25k coverage pricing. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have firearms coverage through State Farm
I've had it pay a claim on a title 1 item, no problem
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:04:44 AM EDT
[#2]
After having 2 pistols stolen, I checked with state farm and will be getting a policy through them.  It's $0 deductible and they will cover any NFA, including machine guns, and even NV gear.

Edit- I asked about MG because I have one in transfer and my agent says they will pay current market value on them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:08:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After having 2 pistols stolen, I checked with state farm and will be getting a policy through them.  It's $0 deductible and they will cover any NFA, including machine guns, and even NV gear.

Edit- I asked about MG because I have one in transfer and my agent says they will pay current market value on them.
View Quote

Right, replacement cost
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 1:10:23 PM EDT
[#4]
I looked into State Farm and it was crazy expensive for my collection.  I don't remember off the top of my head who I use (it was recommended on here or another gun forum I'm on), but it was much better.  And it covers any firearm related item - guns, ammo, suppressors, mags, scopes, night vision, reloading, etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#5]
In, as I would like to update some of mine.

I have used several, can't remember the name as it was tied into my at first renters insurance and now into my home policy, but I want to add some more.  I shopped around a lot before and hated that they wanted to charge me the same rate for scopes and such as the firearm itself.  So I store them in the safe separate with qd mounts and then included them on the general house hold items/covered stuff.

I also keep a excel sheet with all the serial numbers of everything that has one, and a picture of it showing the number, whether it be a tv, gun, scope, firearm etc.  Call me OCD but I don't want a hassle, if I ever have a claim.. Also doesn't hurt to Do a walk around your home while filming describing stuff as proof as well.  Never hurts encase there was ever a fire or natural disaster...
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 5:35:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Check these guys out. I am going with them. Mailed off my application today. VERY good rates. Covers guns, NFA items, optics, cases, leather goods. etc.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Collectibles Insurance Services.  By far the best pricing I've seen.  NFA stuff is covered.

I've never had to make a claim, thank goodness, so cannot comment on the claims service.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Collectibles Insurance Services.  By far the best pricing I've seen.  NFA stuff is covered.

I've never had to make a claim, thank goodness, so cannot comment on the claims service.
View Quote

Look into the link I posted above you. I thought CollectInsure was good too, but Eastern Insurance's "HFI" has them beat by quite a bit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a policy on all my guns and NFA stuff through Farmers. Wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a policy on all my guns and NFA stuff through Farmers. Wasn't nearly as expensive as I thought.
View Quote

I went to talk to my agent about it specifically, and I about fell over for what a firearms rider on my collection would be.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check these guys out. I am going with them. Mailed off my application today. VERY good rates. Covers guns, NFA items, optics, cases, leather goods. etc.
View Quote

Yep, that's who I went with also.  Much more reasonable for what I had to cover.  He offers a discount for NRA members too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:05:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I use USAA Valuable Property Insurance for my firearms, suppressors, and I even have my high-end optics insured. Very low rate for the amount of coverage I get IMO.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:10:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Look into the link I posted above you. I thought CollectInsure was good too, but Eastern Insurance's "HFI" has them beat by quite a bit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed. I switched from Collectibles Insurance to Historic Firearms.

Historic's minimum coverage was $30k, and they were STILL cheaper than my $20k policy with Collectibles Insurance. And have better communication.

Very happy with Historic Firearms / Eastern Insurance.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Historic's minimum coverage was $30k, and they were STILL cheaper than my $20k policy with Collectibles Insurance. And have better communication.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am in the market too and am curious how do they compare to this? https://mynrainsurance.com/insurance-products/firearms-armscare-plus
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#15]
NRA's insurance sucked from what I recall. Get quotes from a couple places. Important things to ask:

1. Is ammo covered?
2. Are mags covered?
3. Are scopes, lasers, flashlights, etc. covered?
4. Are items registered to a trust covered?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 7:25:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I am in the market too and am curious how do they compare to this? https://mynrainsurance.com/insurance-products/firearms-armscare-plus
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For what I just signed up for with Eastern / HFI - Armscare Plus is 4x the premium cost. AND! Eastern doesn't require a schedule of guns unless the value is over $10,000. So, not having to list every gun/firearm/accessory over $2,500 is nice.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Do many require an itemized list of every item (I seen Gopherboy above answered for company he went with) ?

Or are most like the one above and just want itemized for individual items over a certain value?

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:29:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do many require an itemized list of every item (I seen Gopherboy above answered for company he went with) ?

Or are most like the one above and just want itemized for individual items over a certain value?

View Quote

Collectibles and Historic only need it over a pretty high value, don't remember the exact numbers on each. NRA and some more traditional insurance companies require it at much lower levels, like $2500 on a single item.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:44:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

State Farm and USAA want make model caliber serial number
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:17:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Collectibles and Historic only need it over a pretty high value, don't remember the exact numbers on each. NRA and some more traditional insurance companies require it at much lower levels, like $2500 on a single item.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collectibles is 5k. They didn't need the serial number though, just the make and model.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:21:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I think the checked all the big names and collectibles and historic; NONE would cover large amounts of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, how much was the $30K coverage?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:02:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

$125 annually, great price in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#24]
I believe their lowest is $35k for $125  per year

ETA: Just checked my welcome packet, and it is $35k. They advertise $0.33 per $100 of coverage. Also said 5% discount for NRA members.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

ETA: Just checked my welcome packet, and it is $35k. They advertise $0.33 per $100 of coverage. Also said 5% discount for NRA members.
View Quote

You're right, I just checked my Historic Firearms packet now that you said this and it was $125 for $35k.

My Collectibles Insurance policy was $137 annually for $20k if I'm not mistaken. May have been $22k? Either way, a LOT more coverage and I even saved $12 annually.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:45:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I got 15% more coverage and saved almost 50%.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You're right, I just checked my Historic Firearms packet now that you said this and it was $125 for $35k.

My Collectibles Insurance policy was $137 annually for $20k if I'm not mistaken. May have been $22k? Either way, a LOT more coverage and I even saved $12 annually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is everybody paying annually?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Eastern Insurance said I had to pay in full to start my coverage, but that once they sent me a formal offer, I could pay over the phone to have coverage starting that day.

I dont know if they offer a payment plan? Believe most insurance are due in full to begin coverage.

Here is the thread from GD that turned me on to Eastern / Historic Firearms Insurance.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:05:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Eastern / Historic here also on both my firearms and art.  The fact it's under written by Hanover, and offered through Hanover and Chubb alone with multiple reviews here is what made me pick them over anything else.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:55:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be sure and do that.  Thank you for the heads up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 10:58:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Collectibles is $5k or more for scheduling.  However, this includes optics and other accoutrements.    So, for example, if you believe your 10.5 inch factory Noveske and Elcan combo is valued at more than $5k, it needs to be specifically scheduled.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 11:30:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good point

I could see a insurance company using that as a way out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:25:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:46:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Additionally...do you get the policy in your name? Or the trust's name? I'd hope individual so you could add non-NFA items (or you could simply add those items to the trust?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point

Additionally...do you get the policy in your name? Or the trust's name? I'd hope individual so you could add non-NFA items (or you could simply add those items to the trust?)

It depends on the insurance company.  One of the majors (can't remember which), requires that you have two separate accounts/payments - one for non-NFA firearms and one for your trust.  The NRA/Lockton insurance requires that you name your individual and trust items separately with the associated coverage amounts, but you can keep it all under one account with one payment.  And some just cover everything under one account with no separation.

It's an important distinction to make though so I would definitely check with your insurance company, and go up the chain if necessary because some customer service people will not know.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:49:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good point

Technically, both.  All Named Insureds listed will be indemnified.  If you read your HO policy I bet it says something along the lines of "items in your care or custody" are covered.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:04:15 AM EDT
[#36]
I got a quote from Historic/Eastern the other day and asked about nfa items under a trust. They said yes the trust items are covered under one policy, and they cover the cost of the tax stamp's, and cover the items while they are in transfer. You can't beat $135 annually for $35k of coverage for guns, optics, nfa, and ammo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:45:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Eastern HFI responded today. They can add/remove/change named insureds on the policy at any time. So my policy will cover me as an individual and both of my NFA trusts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 11:32:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I got a quote from Historic/Eastern the other day and asked about nfa items under a trust. They said yes the trust items are covered under one policy, and they cover the cost of the tax stamp's, and cover the items while they are in transfer. You can't beat $135 annually for $35k of coverage for guns, optics, nfa, and ammo.
View Quote

They cover ammo?
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:27:51 PM EDT
[#39]
1. Insure ammo.
2. unfortunately it is distroyed in a series of small explosions.
3. file claim
4. profit

5. jail probably for arson and insurance fraud.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:19:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have firearms coverage through State Farm
I've had it pay a claim on a title 1 item, no problem
View Quote

came to post half of this(thank god nothing has been lost), I got a policy on guns, optics, and cans.  State farm does my house and my firearms rider, didn't care that it was a can just that it was legal (lady asked how long my stamp wait was, lol) I think I pay about 550 a year for house and guns combined.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I BUY MORE guns I can SAVE money... Off to cabellas...

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I use USAA Valuable Property Insurance for my firearms, suppressors, and I even have my high-end optics insured. Very low rate for the amount of coverage I get IMO.
View Quote

Same here.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 3:45:47 PM EDT
[#44]
I put this in the other thread, but I thought I would put it here too.

So I called both collectibles and eastern today. Here is a quick list of what some differences I observed -

Eastern
Minimums - $30,000 coverage policy
Premium - $125/yr
Deductible - $100
No scheduling for items under $5k $10k
Covers everything except ammo
%5 discount for NRA members
Eastern expects your homeowners policy to cover the safe

Collectibles
Minimums - $70/yr premium
Premium for $20,000 - $155
Premium for $30,000 - $218
Deductible - none, minimum claim of $50
No scheduling for items under $5k
Covers everything including ammo and the safe.
No discounts for NRA membership mentioned.

Eastern seems to come in substantially lower than Collectibles, but I don't always pick the the lower bidder. For me customer service means more than cost.  Has anyone ever had to make a claim, with with either?

For the ammo I'm guessing my renters/homeowners policy would cover that. They cover up to $3000 of "valuable" items.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 4:28:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

So I called both collectibles and eastern today. Here is a quick list of what some differences I observed -

Eastern
Premium - $125/yr
Deductible - $100

Collectibles

Eastern seems to come in substantially lower than Collectibles, but I don't always pick the the lower bidder. For me customer service means more than cost.  Has anyone ever had to make a claim, with with either?

For the ammo I'm guessing my renters/homeowners policy would cover that. They cover up to $3000 of "valuable" items.
View Quote

Good luck getting a homeowners policy to cover ammo not to mention your deductible or affect on future premiums

Is be interested in hearing actual claims experience with Eastern or Collectibles as well as if you're getting non renewed.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:13:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Eastern
Premium - $125/yr
Deductible - $100

Collectibles

View Quote

FYI, $35k minimum coverage on Eastern. I made a mistake earlier in the thread and said $30k, but I checked my welcome paperwork. I'm with you, relying on my renter's insurance to cover my safe.

I haven't made a claim with either, but customer service / communication is a lot better with Eastern than Collectibles in my experience.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 7:49:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Just trying to get info, Eastern is WAYYY better than Collectibles.

Also, Eastern doesn't required scheduled items under $10,000 in value, per their 2016 "Welcome" packet.
Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:03:13 PM EDT
[#48]
I had always planned on getting insurance on my collection, but never took the time to do the research. Thanks OP and everyone that has contributed to this thread! You made it easy for me!
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:16:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I haven't made a claim with either, but customer service / communication is a lot better with Eastern than Collectibles in my experience.
View Quote

Can you give some examples of this? I'm wanting to make a decsion before the end of the week and customer service is more important to me than saving a few bucks (PSA is my only exception ).
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Do any of these policies require you to itemize by serial # and make/model for each firearm??
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top