Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2016 9:26:11 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with Griffin Armament's Optimus on a 9mm? I've been going back and forth between the Optimus and a dedicated 9mm can like the Revolution. I would love to be able to use the Optimus on an AK and AR but it will spend most of its time on a 930DMG. So it really comes down to performance on a 9mm. I realize the Optimus won't be as quite as the Revolution, but by how much?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:29:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the answer to your question.  It's not a matter of dbs.  All modern cans are really close in sound.  Unless you are metering, it'll be hard to tell.  I'm not saying you can't tell, but you'll have to being paying attention to that.  Which means you may not be the one shooting the gun.  Not having the fun.  

Look at other mounts (if that is important), reputation of the suppressor company, weight and length.   I think those factors are way more important being the dbs are so close.  
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:42:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. This would be my first suppressor, so definitely a complete newbie here.

That's really interesting... It's hard not to assume decibel difference would make a dedicated suppressor much better. I read somewhere (can't find it again) that the Optimus was getting readings about 10 db higher than the Revolution using 9mm. That sounds like a lot. Then again without hearing it in person

I guess the thing that worries me is if the Optimus was on the edge of not being hearing safe.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 2:50:10 PM EDT
[#4]
What's hearing safe to you?

I'm surprised we don't have more user info but then again when you wait 6+ months for the newer releases to get out there that's what happens.  You may want to consider cans that have a lot of users feedback already.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:20:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Full disclosure I am waiting to a form 4 for an Optimus.

The Optimus will definitely be hearing safe with 147gr factory ammo which will be subsonic. As seen in the video above the Optimus metered around the 133db mark. Above 140db is the OSHA limit for hearing safe.
The Optimus will be my first can as well. For the value of 3 cans in one (rimfire, pistol, and magnum rifle) it is a great deal. That's why I got one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot my Optimus next to my Rev45 in the K configuration and couldn't really tell any difference. Should be another month till my is completely out of jail.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys. That solves it. Optimus it is!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top