Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2016 9:45:05 PM EDT
Need some help guys. I can't get my SOCOM556Mini off. I depress the locking collar button but can't get the collar to turn. I tried a pair of tongue & groove pliers with a piece of leather and it still won't budge. Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#1]
didn't surefire tell people to shoot them off?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
didn't surefire tell people to shoot them off?
View Quote

Yeah but you need to unlock the collar first.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#3]
have you tried shooting a magazine through it and getting it hot then trying again?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's what I do with my Socom.
1. Unload rifle.

2. Point downward

2.5. release collar

3. Use a squirt of Kano Kroil where the suppressor mates up with the muzzlebreak.

4. Let sit about 5-10 mins and just wiggle it till it comes off.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:05:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
have you tried shooting a magazine through it and getting it hot then trying again?
View Quote

This is what I was told
Socom mini pending
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Here's what I do with my Socom. 1. Unload rifle.
2. Point downward
2.5. release collar
3. Use a squirt of Kano Kroil where the suppressor mates up with the muzzlebreak.

View Quote

In bold. The collar is seized.

Eta - I'll try shooting a mag through it tomorrow to see if that helps.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:35:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

2. Point downward

2.5. release collar

That happened to me. I tapped (okay, probably more than tapped) the collar with a rubber mallet and it loosened whatever carbon that was locking it up. Then it turned and it came right off.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That happened to me. I tapped (okay, probably more than tapped) the collar with a rubber mallet and it loosened whatever carbon that was locking it up. Then it turned and it came right off.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
2. Point downward
2.5. release collar

I'll give that a try. Thx
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:03:17 AM EDT
[#9]
If the rubber mallet doesn't work, maybe a strap wrench?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Shoot a mag or two through it to heat it back up.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:03:39 PM EDT
[#11]
My SOCOM556 and 556-Mini both do this.  It does get annoying.  Only complaint I have about em though, they're great silencers.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Happened to me only once. I used a cheap strap wrench with the red rubber strap.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. Heat will help.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:34:27 PM EDT
[#14]
51t is looking pretty good right about now?

Sorry just had to, for everyone who always jumps on the AAC bash fest. I HATE my surefire can, like my AAC,  LOVE my TREK-T.

Heat will help. Another option is just leave it on. I think people take their cans on and off too much.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:02:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry just had to, for everyone who always jumps on the AAC bash fest. I HATE my surefire can, like my AAC,  LOVE my TREK-T.

Heat will help. Another option is just leave it on. I think people take their cans on and off too much.
View Quote

What don't you like about the Socom?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:09:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I had success putting it muzzle down on a piece of 4x4 and thumping it a few times.  

I've also found when I seat it if I rotate it back and forth against the index a few times before I lock it down it seems to come off easier (doesn't really move but you can hear/feel a slight click).
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#17]
How many rounds do you guys fire before removing your suppressor? I've never had any sticking issues with mine but I do remove them every other range session or so when I boresnake the rifle's barrel.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 2:17:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Also, when you do get it off, make sure to keep the carbon build up off your muzzle brake and inner suppressor mating area. It will really help.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#19]
Off to the range now.
Postponed til the AM. My SO nixed my plans.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Is this the stuff you're supposed to put on mounts?
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Is this the stuff you're supposed to put on mounts?
View Quote

I use Lox-Cease. Never tried anything else, though. I have 2 556RC's, never had one stick while using it.

Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:19:47 AM EDT
[#22]
my surefire is permanently stuck on my mk18. I just accepted it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:48:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
my surefire is permanently stuck on my mk18. I just accepted it.
View Quote

I wouldn't give a shit, I just worry running a barrel rod through might catch a baffle or something while cleaning the barrel.  Or some solvent getting trapped in the suppressor.  That's my only worry.  Probably neither are worth a second thought.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Main reason is its heavy and I can never get it off, and since its always stuck on, I might as well stick with a thread on can and just leave it. SF sounds about the same as my TREK-T but weighs almost double. Im big into weight savings. This whole "make sure the mount is clean here, or buy this stuff to put on it...." thats BS, my AAC always works with no maintenance right from the beginning.
I've never had a problem with 51t, so for me its actually a slick easy mounting system. I think AAC gets bashed on way to much. Surefire adds that wiggle off, wiggle on, make sure its in the right place, screw it down, cant get it off.....and again, I leave most cans on all the time, so might as well save weight and size and just have thread on.
AAC is just on and off, and the dirtier i leave it the better it fits.
Surefire makes good cans, I would just never buy another one until they somehow make them lighter. There are some cool guys from SF I've talked to recently who have made me like the company more, but 5 years ago the guys I delt with were true dbags.
Right now I wish I could have all Sig cans, they have a good mount and are lightweight.
Sorry but surefire and mk18 and all that stuff is mostly purchased because the military uses them. There are better options out there for what most people are ACTUALLY using their stuff for.  I prefer slick light accurate stuff. Try using a KMR and a TREK-T for a month and then go back to mk18/sf and you'll feel like you went from a Ferrari to a minivan. (and I know its all personal blaw blaw, but slicker the better and I'm right )
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive had to beat on mine before to get it to come off.

But a seized collar would make things pretty difficult.

Usually after a range session mine is always difficult to get off
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:09:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've had this happen on my SOCOM 2.
Shot a mag, heated it up, gave it a rotate back and forth at the collar it popped from stuck and let me unlock it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:10:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Main reason is its heavy and I can never get it off, and since its always stuck on, I might as well stick with a thread on can and just leave it. SF sounds about the same as my TREK-T but weighs almost double. Im big into weight savings. This whole "make sure the mount is clean here, or buy this stuff to put on it...." thats BS, my AAC always works with no maintenance right from the beginning.
I've never had a problem with 51t, so for me its actually a slick easy mounting system. I think AAC gets bashed on way to much. Surefire adds that wiggle off, wiggle on, make sure its in the right place, screw it down, cant get it off.....and again, I leave most cans on all the time, so might as well save weight and size and just have thread on.
Surefire makes good cans, I would just never buy another one until they somehow make them lighter. There are some cool guys from SF I've talked to recently who have made me like the company more, but 5 years ago the guys I delt with were true dbags.
Right now I wish I could have all Sig cans, they have a good mount and are lightweight.
Sorry but surefire and mk18 and all that stuff is mostly purchased because the military uses them. There are better options out there for what most people are ACTUALLY using their stuff for.  I prefer slick light accurate stuff. Try using a KMR and a TREK-T for a month and then go back to mk18/sf and you'll feel like you went from a Ferrari to a minivan. (and I know its all personal blaw blaw, but slicker the better and I'm right )
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I remove my can while it's still warm, don't have an issue getting it off anymore.

But yeah, my SOCOM is absurdly heavy.
Definitely getting a thread on Ti can next.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 4:15:54 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I remove my can while it's still warm, don't have an issue getting it off anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absurdly heavy?
Doesn't help that mounts are 4oz
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 10:14:44 PM EDT
[#29]
I mean in relation to the trek ti I handled. It's a brute.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:41:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ti doesn't like to get hot
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:24:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely disagree.

The internet is filled with a lot of bad info. I have all these cans and a good amount of rounds through all of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-d_HvS1A8M

Its pretty much the only can I use now.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut?

I was talking about the weight in-comparssion to my Socom in my original post.
Then responded to Brad.

I derailed a bit, sorry.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

It is lighter than nearly any fully size 556 QD can.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:12:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Absolutely disagree.

The internet is filled with a lot of bad info. I have all these cans and a good amount of rounds through all of them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely disagree.

Hot forming of most titanium alloy's starts at 400F vs about 650F for steel, on the hi end titanium wins out but there we're talking to about getting to liquid state so your suppressor wouldn't be working either way

Google fu

Deeper explination
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 12:00:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Update-
Put a couple mags through it and it came off.
Eta I like Dead Air mounts more better.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 2:08:26 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Hot forming of most titanium alloy's starts at 400F vs about 650F for steel, on the hi end titanium wins out but there we're talking to about getting to liquid state so your suppressor wouldn't be working either way

Google fu

Deeper explination
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely disagree.

Google fu

Deeper explination

I understand the science behind it, and I agree steel is stronger than Ti, however 99% of people will not need that added strength. Speaking from experience, as someone who owns all these cans, the Gemtech TREK-T is more than enough can for 99% of people. Ive run it hard with full auto mag dumps and bursts, and its a great can. To me buying a surefire instead of a lightweight can is like buying a hummer to get to work instead of a Jeep grand cherokee. Yes, the hummer is tougher off road, but most people aren't spending more than 2% of their life off road. So I'd rather drive a grand cherokee down the freeway and park it in town. Most nights we go out I shoot about 500 rounds, mostly burst fire, and I've never had any issue with the TREK-T or the Omega. So as long as the suppressor can do its job all night, I'm happy to shave off 10oz.

Sorry but durability is something that is WAY overblown in the suppressor world. I have a buddy who wouldn't listen to be on buying an Omega for is 9" BLK, he bought a surefire SPS, and after a few months of hunting and one carbine class, he's ordered an Omega. That extra weight sucks, and honestly having a can thats HALF the wight on the end of an SBR allows for quicker target acquisition and precise movement.

This isn't an attack on your surefire fan club, I dont use my M4-2000 anymore either

YES, a surefire is more durable than a TREK-T or an Omega, but you will never need that durability, and you'll have more fun with less weight.

Link Posted: 8/1/2016 8:10:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Active, you're convincing me! I just visited Gemtech' site and apparently it's discontinued. Not that I couldn't find one still in stock, but any idea why?
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Active, you're convincing me! I just visited Gemtech' site and apparently it's discontinued. Not that I couldn't find one still in stock, but any idea why?
View Quote

Im not 100% sure on this, but I think they are replacing the TREK-T with their new line of extreme duty cans. They might still be making the TREK-T though I'm not sure. You should give Gemtech a call though, they are really helpful. I think their new PATROLMAN can is what is replacing the TREK-T. Otherwise you might be able to find one at silencershop or gunbroker.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 11:07:13 PM EDT
[#39]
LOK-CEASE works wonders.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 1:59:41 AM EDT
[#40]
I got like 6 of these of our rifles at work that were seized, having not been removed for 500-600 rounds at least.  I used a thick strap wrench on the collar and broke that loose, just remember it's reversed, loose is to the right.  Then I used a screwdriver with electrical tap over the blade and a mallet to beat it off downwards.

Too bad this same process wont work on my YHM at home that's currently seized on.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:...just remember it's reversed, loose is to the right.
View Quote

I'm confused. Mine are not. Unless you're referring to viewing them from the muzzle end.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 7:50:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I got like 6 of these of our rifles at work that were seized, having not been removed for 500-600 rounds at least.  I used a thick strap wrench on the collar and broke that loose, just remember it's reversed, loose is to the right.  Then I used a screwdriver with electrical tap over the blade and a mallet to beat it off downwards.

Too bad this same process wont work on my YHM at home that's currently seized on.
View Quote

Man, this sounds like a horrible idea. Have you called surefire to see what their recommendations are?
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Man, this sounds like a horrible idea. Have you called surefire to see what their recommendations are?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Meh, he said it's at work. If it's .gov organization, they'll just buy more. If it's commercial write it off and they only have to do a F3.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 12:50:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I'm confused. Mine are not. Unless you're referring to viewing them from the muzzle end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:...just remember it's reversed, loose is to the right.

Yes, natural inclination is to unscrew them like a screw when you are facing them from the muzzle.  The SOCOM minis we have at work the collar unscrews to the right as you are facing them from the muzzle.

Quoted:

Im not sure what the issue is. It doesn't even mar the finish, and once the collar is popped its simply stuck on there and has to be forced off somehow.  Im not sure of any other solutions while in Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:Yes, natural inclination is to unscrew them like a screw when you are facing them from the muzzle.  The SOCOM minis we have at work the collar unscrews to the right as you are facing them from the muzzle.
View Quote

Not that it matters, but I don't see it that way. I think the natural tendency is NOT to face any gun from the muzzle, suppressed or not. I hope you don't attach your suppressors that way.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Not that it matters, but I don't see it that way. I think the natural tendency is NOT to face any gun from the muzzle, suppressed or not. I hope you don't attach your suppressors that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Yes, natural inclination is to unscrew them like a screw when you are facing them from the muzzle.  The SOCOM minis we have at work the collar unscrews to the right as you are facing them from the muzzle.

Reading comprehension is important. He is describing the direction the can unscrews from the collar viewed from the muzzle end. Would you feel safer if he said it unscrewed to the left with the muzzle facing away from you? At no time did he describe installing or removing the can with the muzzle end pointed in at himself.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 2:03:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the advice Sally.

Cans slide on/off from the muzzle end, that should probably be the angle from which one describes screw direction. That is literally the direction your hand is travelling from when you put it on or take it off, regardless of where you are standing.     If I stand behind a block of wood and use my hand around it to install a screw into it most people would understand that the screw direction is the way my hand is facing, not my face.

I generally install/remove and work on suppressors from the side. My hand still comes in from the muzzle end.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 3:57:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I bought a Manta suppressor cover at the same time I bought a YHM Phantom M2 556 can, mainly so I can reach up and give the can a twist while it's hot in order to prevent it from seizing on the mount. It's a goofy-looking cover but it looks like it's a helluva lot more durable than the cloth covers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I bought a Manta suppressor cover at the same time I bought a YHM Phantom M2 556 can, mainly so I can reach up and give the can a twist while it's hot in order to prevent it from seizing on the mount. It's a goofy-looking cover but it looks like it's a helluva lot more durable than the cloth covers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, looking into that!
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Nice, looking into that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, looking into that!

You just gotta get it off first......
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top