Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2016 5:13:12 PM EDT
I have a can in jail while I wait for the form 4 to go through.  The LGS said I can shoot it there if I desire while I wait.  Says "you break it, you still buy it"

Before I mount a compatible flash hider for this suppressor, I want to know what happens if I actually do break it before the form 4 gets approved?  Do they still do the form 4473 and transfer it over to me, broken?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a can in jail while I wait for the form 4 to go through.  The LGS said I can shoot it there if I desire while I wait.  Says "you break it, you still buy it"

Before I mount a compatible flash hider for this suppressor, I want to know what happens if I actually do break it before the form 4 gets approved?  Do they still do the form 4473 and transfer it over to me, broken?
View Quote

Have you already paid for the can in full? If so, it's your property. If damaged while waiting for the F4, the shop can just ship it back to the manufacturer to be repaired.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
As in end cap strike?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:21:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes its paid in full minus a cent.  

Not an end cap strike, but what if you hit a baffle?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Really no different than if you booger it up the day after you take it home.

First can? Stop worrying, don't do anything stupid with it, and go enjoy shooting it. That's what it's for.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 5:55:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Why minus a cent?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:00:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I want to know what happens if I actually do break it before the form 4 gets approved?
View Quote

Probably loses value as an investment. Make sure it doesn't have a scratch before you accept it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Why minus a cent?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why minus a cent?

Probably a store software issue. If there is still a payment due then the sale is not "completed" and it is technically in a layaway type situation.

A lot of the newer gun inventory software for dealers will automatically do a disposition in their electronic gun books once a sale is completed in the system, whether the transaction is really completed or not.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I am wondering the same thing, I paid mine off in full and the salesman didn't tell me if I could shoot it or not. Is that a normal thing or is it just certain stores let you shoot it.

My thought is I bought it so I should be able to, if for some reason it gets rejected do I get my money back?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I do my transfers through a local Gunclub. An arfcommer is their NFA manager and he hooked me up with ridiculously good deals on transfers even though I'm not a member of the club. So no, I don't shoot my cans while in jail.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:03:40 AM EDT
[#11]
My dealer lets you shoot it, but they say if you get disapproved you just bought them a range can and would get half your money back for a used can.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:57:48 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My dealer lets you shoot it, but they say if you get disapproved you just bought them a range can and would get half your money back for a used can.
View Quote

Obviously they've never been called out on this BS policy. If you paid for the can it's yours. If your form 4 is disapproved you can fix the typo and resubmit, sell the can to someone else, or attempt to get a refund. If this is actually your dealer's policy for suppressor purchases, I'm glad he has your business because he'd never get mine.

Edited: I used to like touch keyboards....

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#13]
My SOT offered to let me shoot my cans on his property while they're pending.
I'll prob take him up on it eventually.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:10:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Lots of slimy FFLs out there. Choose wisely.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 1:09:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Obviously they've never been called out on this BS policy. If you paid for the can it's yours. If your form 4 is disapproved you can fix the typo and resubmit, sell the can to someone else, or attempt to get a refund. If this is actually your dealer's policy for suppressor purchases, I'm glad he has your business because he'd never get mine.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would assume that this is something they offer, giving them the benefit of the doubt, I suspect they wouldn't hold your feet to the fire if you were able to find another buyer or get a refund, much less re-submitting a "problem" form (I suspect you would have bigger problems if you were refused outright).  

Assuming it's an "offer," I would say that it's a more liberal policy than no policy at all, e.g., if the manufacturer refused a refund and you couldn't find another buyer, at least they're offering to buy it off you, instead of having 100% of your money tied up until you could get the company to refund you and take it back, and/or find another buyer for a suppressor you can't take possession of.

From the standpoint of a dealer, once you've shot it, it is a used can, your cost is probably higher than their dealer cost anyways, and even if they sold it for you on consignment, you'd probably be looking at a similar return.  

~Augee
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:20:05 PM EDT
[#16]
I agree that if this is an optional feature of using their services it's a nice gesture. From the content and tone of the post, I interpreted the policy as one of strongly favoring the FFL to the point of them not viewing the suppressor as anything other than their property until a customer walks it out the door with an approved form 4 in hand.

Honestly, many people are uninformed and meek enough to probably take a policy such as the above at face value and forfeit half the purchase price without question. In such a case the dealer would get a low mileage can for free or possible while making some $ for acquiring it. I'd make them take my ass to court and argue my purchase receipt for said item is invalid.

Many FFL's view the NFA process and its long wait times as another way to hold people hostage and take advantage of their wallets. I've dealt with more than a few "normal" FFLs with predatory pricing and policies that are not crafted to respect their customers. Reasonable pricing and positive reviews on the HTF here were 2 of the primary means I used to chose a class 3 dealer because I wanted to make sure they were someone who treated me like a person and I would be comfortable with having my property for 6-9 months while the ATF chugs away.

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#17]
What would it take for someone to get denied on a f4 anyhow? I thought if you can pass a background check for a gun you can for nfa items also, just a more lengthy process because .gov. I will only use Capitol Armory for my purchases because they are an hour away and no transfer fee, I would t want to shoot my can at my dealers range anyway, you will just want to keep coming back and paying the range fee, I prefer to shoot at home where it's free.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#18]
You own it.  You just don't have the stamp.  Just like shooting a gun in a match while it is still in jail.  You own it. Shoot it.

As long as you are sure everything is lined up and installed properly, go for it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:20:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn't see it as that big of deal...

Kinda a CYA way incase someone really wants to shoot there can before the stamp comes back and something that couldn't be fixed happens

I don't see it as mine till I get the stamp and it is home(but that's just me)

I always got better prices with this dealer than I could find or read other have paid

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#20]
My dealer has probably the biggest indoor range in the state and they don't let you shoot suppressors while waiting.

Next time i'm there I might try pleading my case again.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:22:09 PM EDT
[#21]
What's the difference between damaging your property before the paperwork is finished or damaging it after you have the paperwork?

Make damn sure your barrel is threaded concentric to the bore and that the silencer is installed properly. Wear gloves they get hot. Continue to check occasionally while shooting so you're confident it's not loosening during the process.

Geissele makes range rods that fit inside the silencer and barrel that will show you if it's aligned properly. I think they're around $75.00, cheap insurance over the life of a silencer IMO. Especially when you consider the paperwork headaches. wait times, $200 title transfer fees, cost of the silencer....................
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 12:46:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
What's the difference between damaging your property before the paperwork is finished or damaging it after you have the paperwork?

Make damn sure your barrel is threaded concentric to the bore and that the silencer is installed properly. Wear gloves they get hot. Continue to check occasionally while shooting so you're confident it's not loosening during the process.

Geissele makes range rods that fit inside the silencer and barrel that will show you if it's aligned properly. I think they're around $75.00, cheap insurance over the life of a silencer IMO. Especially when you consider the paperwork headaches. wait times, $200 title transfer fees, cost of the silencer....................
View Quote

Or you can eyeball it if it's on a gun you can see through, or buy drill rid of appropriate diameter for AKs or others you can't eyeball.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top