Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/22/2016 8:43:51 PM EDT
I have bought my first can. Been sitting on the fence for ages, and finally went and did it. Sadly, I did it post-41F, so Ihave to go through the whole Form 1 deal (prints, CLEO approval and all that jazz).

GIGGITY!

Couldn't find my original NFA Trust paperwork and the people that did the paperwork for me are out of business, so I went the Form 1 route.

Actually, is not that hard; the paperwork changed slightly, but it was time-consuming, and the fact the shop I bought my can from was loaded with customers did not help matters; I did get to finger-fuck a new HK SP5K, which helped a lot.

BTW; not as expensive as the original SP89s are, no try-lug barrel though (for those of you that want to get one to convert into a PDW).

ANywho; the can is paid in full, the paperwork was dropped off with my local CLEO; so now, the wait begins.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
41f removed the cleo approval. It's just cleo notification now.

Eta: So are you buying a can or making one? Isn't a form 1 to make an nfa item, not to buy one that's already been made?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
41f removed the cleo approval. It's just cleo notification now.

Eta: So are you buying a can or making one? Isn't a form 1 to make an nfa item, not to buy one that's already been made?
View Quote

Confused as well. How do you lose your trust documents? Sorry, just find it odd to misplace estate planning docs unless you don't have a family& this was only to acquire NFA with some cheap one size fits all online thing.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:30:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#4]
NO, I sent off one fingerprint card and one Form 4 to the CLEO for notification; I have the rest of the paperwork in an envelope, waiting to be sent once I have CLEO approval.

Sorry; should've been a bit clearer on my explanation.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:42:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NO, I sent off one fingerprint card and one Form 4 to the CLEO for notification; I have the rest of the paperwork in an envelope, waiting to be sent once I have CLEO approval.
View Quote

I'm confused, it was my understanding is you send a copy to the CLEO while sending to ATF, no need for approval.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Sorry; should've been a bit clearer on my explanation.
View Quote

Need to read this
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#9]
This is a good example of what a clusterfuck 41f is going to be.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And I'm assuming you meant the individual route, not the Form 1 route. (You did mention Form 4 later on)
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Couldn't find my original NFA Trust paperwork and the people that did the paperwork for me are out of business, so I went the Form 1 route.

And I'm assuming you meant the individual route, not the Form 1 route. (You did mention Form 4 later on)

Yeah; i meant form 4 as an individual, not as a trust.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:02:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

No...this is simply a good example of somebody not reading the instructions on the forms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No...this is simply a good example of somebody not reading the instructions on the forms.

Yup! That's me alright.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep it's a cluster fuck by design. Glad I spent all the pre41f money I did
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yup! That's me alright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup! That's me alright.

What most amazes me is that you knew about the rule change and still didn't take the time to read up on it, either on the web or in the instructions on the forms. This whole thread is about your post 41f experience. You knew that 41f changed the process. I fear that you won't be alone, and once ATF clears the epic pre 41f backlog, the post 41f submissions will be so filled with errors that the approval process will run even more slowly than it is now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Wow man did your dealer not explain anything to you or did he not know?  Form 1 vs 4 and CLEO notfication not approval.  Hope he didn't stear you in the wrong direction.

Post 41f or the "new forms" don't seem like they will be that big a deal just prints and a photo.  I think the hardest part will be convincing my wife why I need her firgerprints and a passport photo.  Once I figure that part out and the price on the DA Ghost comes down I will make my first post 41f submittal.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:15:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Wow man did your dealer not explain anything to you?
View Quote

I'm afraid the dealer knows less about the new process than the OP. The fact that fingerprint cards were sent to the CLEO for "approval" is a clear indication the instructions are not being followed.

OP -  Congrats on your purchase but please review the paperwork you are holding for the ATF against the instruction thread from BigWaylon. It would be incredibly disappointing to wait a year only to be told to start over due to using the wrong forms or process. You may end up teaching your dealer as well!
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is why I bought from Silencer Shop, I didn't have to read forms or anything, just pay, sent in a FP card for them to scan, and will take my photo when their app decides to come online
View Quote

Did they tell you when it would? If you're mailing in fingerprint cards, why not mail a 2x2 passport photo with it?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:19:57 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Did they tell you when it would? If you're mailing in fingerprint cards, why not mail a 2x2 passport photo with it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is why I bought from Silencer Shop, I didn't have to read forms or anything, just pay, sent in a FP card for them to scan, and will take my photo when their app decides to come online

People don't realize there are smartphone/tablet apps to do that.

Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:34:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To do what?
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:11:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Free app.  ID Photo Print
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 3:49:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah I get that there are apps. I was just saying if youre already mailing SS your prints, might as well mail in a 2x2 photo with them,  and then you wont have to wait for SS photo app
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 4:29:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 6:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I'm afraid the dealer knows less about the new process than the OP. The fact that fingerprint cards were sent to the CLEO for "approval" is a clear indication the instructions are not being followed.

OP -  Congrats on your purchase but please review the paperwork you are holding for the ATF against the instruction thread from BigWaylon. It would be incredibly disappointing to wait a year only to be told to start over due to using the wrong forms or process. You may end up teaching your dealer as well!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks; I will definitely do that. I have the forms at home and I will review them as you said. Looks to me like the shop is doing things wrong, but I already paid in full for the can and I don't want to screw this up (which seems I did).

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:13:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't worry about it! You haven't sent the ATF forms yet so you haven't done any permanent damage. Let us know if the dealer had you fill out the correct forms. I really wasn't joking about you teaching them the new process.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Thanks; I will definitely do that. I have the forms at home and I will review them as you said. Looks to me like the shop is doing things wrong, but I already paid in full for the can and I don't want to screw this up (which seems I did).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are in Pima county, I understand your dilema.  The County Sheriff had his own process over and above ATF/NFA to get his signature on the CLEO block which is obsolete now.  

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:05:12 PM EDT
[#28]
It's not screwed up.  The wrong forms are in the wrong hands, but it doesn't matter.  Fill out the right forms, send 'em in, send the notification to the CLEO.  Done.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have bought my first can. Been sitting on the fence for ages, and finally went and did it. Sadly, I did it post-41F, so Ihave to go through the whole Form 1 deal (prints, CLEO approval and all that jazz).

If you bought a can it would be on a Form 4 regardless of 41F... And post 41F a CLEO notification would be all that is necessary...

GIGGITY!

Couldn't find my original NFA Trust paperwork and the people that did the paperwork for me are out of business, so I went the Form 1 route .

So you have misplaced your original Trust, and now your applying for NFA items on the wrong form???

So what  other NFA items were on this "Trust"...

Actually, is not that hard; the paperwork changed slightly, but it was time-consuming, and the fact the shop I bought my can from was loaded with customers did not help matters; I did get to finger-fuck a new HK SP5K, which helped a lot.

So what paperwork have you done in the past?  You said this was your first suppressor...

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 11:48:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Okay, maybe the way I explained my original post was wrong. Let me try and clear the air.

My original post was to explain that I had the fortune of purchasing my first can - a Surefire SOCOM 556; sadly, I did not have the available to purchase the can until after the 41F grandfathering ended.

Now; I wanted to add this NFA item to my NFA Trust, which I already had for an SBR that I built, but because I somehow misplaced the original Trust letter, I could not purchase the can as an addition to the trust, so I had to file the paperwork as an individual.

Now, I have right next to me the new Form 4 (5320.4), which has three copies, 1 for the ATF, one for me and one for the CLEO; a couple of days ago, I took the CLEO copy to the CLEO here, along with a fingerprint card and a passport picture; leaving me two more copies, along with the corresponding fingerprint card and passport pictures. I've read that 41F removed the CLEO signature requirement and implies it to a "notification", so I can assume that by dropping off the CLEO copy for the new Form 4 should suffice as notification. Please correct me if I am wrong.

All I have to do now (I assume) is to mail the remaining form, along with the fingerprint card and passport picture to the ATF to start the processing. I expect that because of the backlog of pre 41F applications, my application could take up to a year to process; but I am patient and I am hoping that it will not take that long, though I am not making any assumptions and I am mentally prepared to wait a year for my stamp to arrive.

I hope this explanation is better than the one on my original post.

If not, then you can all rag on me all you want at how much of an ignorant I am on this.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:19:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It's not screwed up.  The wrong forms are in the wrong hands, but it doesn't matter.  Fill out the right forms, send 'em in, send the notification to the CLEO.  Done.
View Quote

I double-checked the forms I have; they're the right forms. I just haven't sent the forms to the ATF just yet; I'm giving the Sheriff's office a call tomorrow to verify that they do have the right form.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:21:24 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you are in Pima county, I understand your dilema.  The County Sheriff had his own process over and above ATF/NFA to get his signature on the CLEO block which is obsolete now.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, it's Pima County. I dropped the CLEO copy at their front desk with a fingerprint card and a pic of me. That way, i can appease him. I haven;t sent the other two forms to the ATF yet.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

All I have to do now (I assume) is to mail the remaining form, along with the fingerprint card and passport picture to the ATF to start the processing. I expect that because of the backlog of pre 41F applications, my application could take up to a year to process; but I am patient and I am hoping that it will not take that long, though I am not making any assumptions and I am mentally prepared to wait a year for my stamp to arrive.

View Quote

You need to submit two fingerprint cards with your application, so if you only had two to start with and gave one to the CLEO - you'll have to have another one taken.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#34]
You need to send TWO fingerprint cards to the ATF

(Abit to slow) /\/\/\/\
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Also review the SilencerCo Education Guide for individuals. The text below is from their link and details how many of each document you need and who gets them:

PURCHASING CHECKLIST:

Use our example form below to carefully complete (2) included BATFE Form 4s (5320.4) and sign in blue or black ink

Obtain (2) passport photos and affix one to each Form 4; do NOT staple

Make (1) photocopy of your completed Form 4 with passport photo affixed

Use our example form below to carefully complete (2) FBI Form FD-258s in blue or black ink

Identify your local Chief Law Enforcement Officer (CLEO)

Write a $200 check to the BATFE

Using the mailing checklist below, mail your completed paperwork to the BATFE and your CLEO

MAILING CHECKLIST:

CLEO

(1) Photocopy of BATFE Form 4 (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm)

BATFE

(1) $200 Check to Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives

(2) Original BATFE Form 4s (5320.4) (Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm)

Affix (1) Passport Photo to Item 15 of each Form 4, do NOT staple

(2) Original FBI Form FD-258s (Fingerprint Card)

Your dealer will notify you when your silencer is ready for pickup, at which point you will complete a BATFE Form 4473 and finalize your ownership.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:25:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Now; I wanted to add this NFA item to my NFA Trust, which I already had for an SBR that I built, but because I somehow misplaced the original Trust letter, I could not purchase the can as an addition to the trust, so I had to file the paperwork as an individual.
View Quote

You know having an NFA item registered to an entity but no way to prove the legitimate existence of said entity isn't good right?

Does your state require trust to be filed with the county or any other place you may be able to get a copy?

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  You know having an NFA item registered to an entity but no way to prove the legitimate existence of said entity isn't good right?

Does your state require trust to be filed with the county or any other place you may be able to get a copy?
View Quote

BATFE has a copy.  If he filed on eForms, he should be able to download the original file, I think.  His lawyer might also have a copy.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#39]
STOP! Go back to the Sheriff, get your Form 4, Fingerprint card, and photo back.

Then, FIND your trust documents!

Go back to the dealer and have him reprint the Form 4's with your trust information.

There is no reason to file this as an individual when you already have a trust set up, simply find your documents!

When you get your trust squared away drop off a copy of the Form 4 to the Sheriff and mail the other 2 copies along with both fingerprint cards and both photos to the BATFE.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 11:13:27 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yup
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

No.

The only reason this is a clusterfuck is because the OP doesn't know what he's doing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No.

The only reason this is a clusterfuck is because the OP doesn't know what he's doing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup

No.

I thought it was all a cluster fuck before 41f, so it's all in how you perceive it. It's definitely a cf for me now.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:04:37 PM EDT
[#43]
HALLELLUJAH! Found my Trust paperwork.

Dammit! I was shitting prix about all this. Called the SO to withdraw my application and taking all this back to the gun store to redo THE RIGHT WAY.

AND OUT OF ALL PLACES I WENT TO LOOK FOR THE DAMN PAPERWORK; I stuck it on the top shelf of the kitchen cupboard.

Is official; I'm an dumbass.

OK; let's stand back... Take a deep breath... Make two copies of all this paperwork and stick it in the safe, so I don;t have another repeat of this sudden case of dumbassery.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:38:17 PM EDT
[#45]
I m glad I finally found the paperwork; spent a couple of hours last night and the better part of the morning looking for the stuff, only to find the paperwork when I was not looking for it (how 'bout them apples?); took the paperwork to the office and made several copies to keep in the safe, so this doesn't happen to me again. Plus, since I have intentions to add a couple some more NFA stuff in the near future, I want to make sure I don't go through this again.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yes, it's Pima County. I dropped the CLEO copy at their front desk with a fingerprint card and a pic of me. That way, i can appease him. I haven;t sent the other two forms to the ATF yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Appease him my ass.

Seriously, there's nothing he can do about it now right?

No reason not to mail the ATF their copy at the same time

Eta:sounds like waiting worked out for you in this instance

I would draw a dick on the CLEO copy
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 2:18:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 Really-peeps gotta read this stuff if they are new to the NFA game.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Picking the paperwork from the SO once I get off work, then goi g to the LGS and do it all over again.  

Thank God I found the Trust paperwork, should've made sure I had it to begin with.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Now, I have right next to me the new Form 4 (5320.4), which has three copies, 1 for the ATF, one for me and one for the CLEO; a couple of days ago, I took the CLEO copy to the CLEO here, along with a fingerprint card and a passport picture; leaving me two more copies, along with the corresponding fingerprint card and passport pictures. I've read that 41F removed the CLEO signature requirement and implies it to a "notification", so I can assume that by dropping off the CLEO copy for the new Form 4 should suffice as notification. Please correct me if I am wrong.
View Quote

Just because I didn't see it made ABUNDANTLY clear in the subsequent posts, you have a fundamental error in your statements above. The ATF needs TWO Form 4 copies and TWO fingerprint cards and a photo. When you say you have 3 Form 4s, one for the ATF, one for you and one for the CLEO you are setting yourself up for disappointment in however many months it takes for them to discover that you didn't include a copy for them to SEND BACK to you with a stamp. What you have are TWO copies for the ATF and ONE for the CLEO and NONE for you unless you make one.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Just because I didn't see it made ABUNDANTLY clear in the subsequent posts, you have a fundamental error in your statements above. The ATF needs TWO Form 4 copies and TWO fingerprint cards and a photo. When you say you have 3 Form 4s, one for the ATF, one for you and one for the CLEO you are setting yourself up for disappointment in however many months it takes for them to discover that you didn't include a copy for them to SEND BACK to you with a stamp. What you have are TWO copies for the ATF and ONE for the CLEO and NONE for you unless you make one.
View Quote

OK, I have TWO copies for the ATF (one they keep, the other one returns to me with the stamp); the third one WAS with the SO, but I withdrew the application and picked the form back.

I am going first thing tomorrow morning to the shop I bought the can from WITH my Trust Paperwork to REDO the entire FORM 4 as a TRUST. THE WAY I SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS INT HE FIRST PLACE IF I HAD NOT MISPLACED MY TRUST PAPERWORK IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top