Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/7/2016 2:16:16 PM EDT
I am working through the Form 4 and was notified by the CLEO that he has his own set of hoops that I need to jump though...including but not limited to;

- Must provide the Record's Division staff with a drivers license
- Must provide the Record's Division staff with a completed ATF Form 4 indicating the item with a digital photograph and completed finger prints
- Must possess a "heavy duty" safe.
- Safe must not have glass/glazing to prevent unauthorized access
- The item(s) must be kept secure in safe at all times when not in use
- The residence or place of storage must have a functioning audio alarm system (video optional) that can he heard on the exterior of the residence
- Must sign a Authorization Form for inspection reference the above by the Sheriff's Office designee (they want to come and inspect my home?? What kind of BS is that!!??)
- Must immediately report to the authorizing agency the loss or theft if the item(s)

Guess I'll just wait until the new Form 4 forms come out after the July 17th and the CLEO will just get notification that I own one....what an unnecessary pain in the a$$ I was told that there are only 9 registered suppressors in Sanilac County which seems awfully light, but now I think I know why.
Seems over reaching to say the least.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:26:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Now I've at least virtually "met" one guy who will *benefit* from 41F.  I think the date is July 13, so you don't have long to wait.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Buy as many as you want after July 13th! I suspect many counties like these will see a spike in NFA ownership in the next few years.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Why didn't you go the trust route and skip evening asking for his permission?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now I've at least virtually "met" one guy who will *benefit* from 41F.  I think the date is July 13, so you don't have long to wait.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The 13th...right, mis-typed that date. Guess I should have gone the Trust route, kinda late in the game now.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#6]
He is being an ass, he doesn't get to make up his own rules.  They can come in and inspect, BS!!!  If I were you, wait till the 13th just to flip him the bird.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote

Not really. He could have just formed a trust and bypassed the CLEO altogether. Now because of 41F, some CLEO somewhere will know what NFA items you have and it's up to their discretion about what they do with the information. So it's still one big F.U. to the NFATCA.

OP - trusts still have their benefits (eg, if you want multiple people to be able to possess the NFA item independently).

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 6:46:27 PM EDT
[#8]
I guarantee there's more suppressors in your county than that, they were just transferred to a trust and your CLEO doesn't know about them...

What a asshat

Link Posted: 7/7/2016 7:42:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not really. He could have just formed a trust and bypassed the CLEO altogether.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was mistakenly thinking he was in one of those states that doesn't allow trusts to own NFA items....  Agree on everything else, thus the score of stamps in the last few months.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:01:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I was mistakenly thinking he was in one of those states that doesn't allow trusts to own NFA items....  Agree on everything else, thus the score of stamps in the last few months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Which states don't recognize trusts as legal instruments?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty sure no trusts for NFA items in IL

ETA: it wouldn't surprise me if it was just a Cook County thing
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Is it not possible to have the CLEO from the next county sign off? I didn't know it had to be the local sheriff. After 41f I plan to inform the sheriff from a few county's over just to keep the locals from having a list of my nfa stuff. I'm sure they would find out anyway but I don't want to make it easy for them.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Is it not possible to have the CLEO from the next county sign off? I didn't know it had to be the local sheriff. After 41f I plan to inform the sheriff from a few county's over just to keep the locals from having a list of my nfa stuff. I'm sure they would find out anyway but I don't want to make it easy for them.
View Quote

O believe there is 6-10 people that qualify as "CLEO"
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#14]
That Sheriff sounds like an asshole.   I'd wait until 41F goes into effect and simply provide "notification'' to his office.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:06:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I am working through the Form 4 and was notified by the CLEO that he has his own set of hoops that I need to jump though...including but not limited to;

- Must provide the Record's Division staff with a drivers license
- Must provide the Record's Division staff with a completed ATF Form 4 indicating the item with a digital photograph and completed finger prints
- Must possess a "heavy duty" safe.
- Safe must not have glass/glazing to prevent unauthorized access
- The item(s) must be kept secure in safe at all times when not in use
- The residence or place of storage must have a functioning audio alarm system (video optional) that can he heard on the exterior of the residence
- Must sign a Authorization Form for inspection reference the above by the Sheriff's Office designee (they want to come and inspect my home?? What kind of BS is that!!??)
- Must immediately report to the authorizing agency the loss or theft if the item(s)

Guess I'll just wait until the new Form 4 forms come out after the July 17th and the CLEO will just get notification that I own one....what an unnecessary pain in the a$$ I was told that there are only 9 registered suppressors in Sanilac County which seems awfully light, but now I think I know why.
Seems over reaching to say the least.
View Quote

You may not even have to notify him or his department.  I plan on going the route Silencer Shop is going and notifying someone at the State level who is likely to not give zero shits.  I am probably going to send mine to the head of State Police or the State Attorney General's office.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:41:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
That Sheriff sounds like an asshole.   I'd wait until 41F goes into effect and simply provide "notification'' to his office.
View Quote

"Notification" might not even go to him.  We havent even seen the "notification" form either.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:53:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
We havent even seen the "notification" form either.
View Quote

This - it could hypothetically require notifying ALL who might be considered CLEO
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think 9 in that county is light.  I am up there once in a while and there are not many people in Sanilac Co.  Of those, ther are probably only few that have the financial means to afford to play.  It is pretty rural and there is not a lot of money in that area compared to some of the affluent suburban areas.

I would guess that the CLEO is not used to dealing with someone wanting to acquire a suppressor very often and is probably being a stickler about it.  Most times I have run into someone that is unfamiliar with procedures, they tend to drag their feet and draw out the process.
Link Posted: 7/8/2016 2:21:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
He is being an ass, he doesn't get to make up his own rules.  They can come in and inspect, BS!!!  If I were you, wait till the 13th just to flip him the bird.
View Quote

^AGREED^
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I just sent the new Form 4 and 200.00 tax to BATFE...as well as the notification form to the CLEO. It will be interesting to see if I hear from him or not considering the rocky nature of our last meeting and the added BS/hoops he was attempting to make me jump through.
As mentioned above I just might be the only person who is benefiting from the new Form requirements as a individual.

I'll keep you posted. Wish I could be there to see the look on his face when he opens that notification.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:52:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I just sent the new Form 4 and 200.00 tax to BATFE...as well as the notification form to the CLEO. It will be interesting to see if I hear from him or not considering the rocky nature of our last meeting and the added BS/hoops he was attempting to make me jump through.
As mentioned above I just might be the only person who is benefiting from the new Form requirements as a individual.

I'll keep you posted. Wish I could be there to see the look on his face when he opens that notification.
View Quote

Congrats, I hope.

I would have sent the notification to the MSP contact that Silencer Shop is sending all their CLEO notifications to.

While your sheriff can't officially do anything, he can still be a dick and now he knows that you are going to be possessing an NFA item without adhering to his decree. Would suck if he kept that information on file or put it in their CAD system.

I suppose there's some satisfaction in shoving the new forms in his face, but keeping him totally in the dark would have been the sweetest revenge (IMHO).

Either way, congrats on getting your new toy!

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:35:22 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Congrats, I hope.

I would have sent the notification to the MSP contact that Silencer Shop is sending all their CLEO notifications to.

While your sheriff can't officially do anything, he can still be a dick and now he knows that you are going to be possessing an NFA item without adhering to his decree. Would suck if he kept that information on file or put it in their CAD system.

I suppose there's some satisfaction in shoving the new forms in his face, but keeping him totally in the dark would have been the sweetest revenge (IMHO).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats, I hope.

I 100% agree, and I prefer to keep him in good graces. However, I refuse to be subjected to overreaching Gestapo type BS too. I am a law abiding citizen and expect to be treated as such. Realistically, the fact that I reached out to him at all proves (in my mind) that I respect his position. As you stated I could have went around him completely by setting up a trust but choose not to do so. Hopefully hes reasonable and doesn't react in spite from a position of power and authority. I simply filled out the most recent federal forms which supersede his county jurisdiction.  
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:37:33 PM EDT
[#23]
As a former resident of Washtenaw County ( Ann Arbor) thats some pretty crazy BS requirements for an area of the country thats generally pretty pro gun.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
As a former resident of Washtenaw County ( Ann Arbor) thats some pretty crazy BS requirements for an area of the country thats generally pretty pro gun.

View Quote

My thoughts exactly...and I have known this CLEO for 30+ years, went to high school with his kids and he was my PADI scuba diving instructor. I learned everything I needed to know about his true stance when he referred  to suppressors as "those damned things." Oh, well he need not worry about it anymore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 2:24:00 PM EDT
[#25]
So what did you pick out? Intended hosts?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:12:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Kind of went plain jane...but effective and proven
SpecWar 7.62
Hosts
AR15, 5.56
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:08:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

SpecWar 7.62
Hosts
AR15, 5.56
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

SpecWar 7.62
Hosts
AR15, 5.56

Heavy but great suppressor. Sounds very good on a 300blk bolt gun too.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#28]
please post his response to the notification if you get one from his office
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:07:26 PM EDT
[#29]
OP I am really curious but do you like drama?  Since you had zero reason to notify him of the purchase when you could notify a few other groups at different levels within your state this makes no sense to me why you still sent the info off to him.  You are poking a bear that based on those hoops he thought he could make you jump through isn't gonna just get your notification paper in and think nothing of it.  My guess is he is going to give you some grief and you just made some sort of shit list for the county you are in.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
OP I am really curious but do you like drama?  Since you had zero reason to notify him of the purchase when you could notify a few other groups at different levels within your state this makes no sense to me why you still sent the info off to him.  You are poking a bear that based on those hoops he thought he could make you jump through isn't gonna just get your notification paper in and think nothing of it.  My guess is he is going to give you some grief and you just made some sort of shit list for the county you are in.
View Quote

O

I prefer under the radar...this is my first suppressor and I wasn't informed that there was another option for a CLEO in my area until after the fact. My assumption is he might be a bit chapped but has bigger fry in the area than me, a law abiding citizen that simply went through the legal channels set up by BATFE. After all, had I went the Trust route he'd be none the wiser. So what's the big deal? If he does get pissed and acts out of spite or chooses to use his position of authority to harass me he'll have a legal battle on his hands. I have the means and the grit to see that kind of abuse of power brought in font of a judge. However, I highly doubt that will be the case.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 3:34:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:17:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

So...your process of "working through the Form 4" (a quote from your initial post) didn't involve reading the instructions printed on the form itself?

Instruction (2)(f):

Law Enforcement Notification. The transferee must provide a copy of the Form 4 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the transferee's address shown in item 2a of the Form 4. In addition, if the transferee is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, completed by each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.

Just harassing you...but it's still amazing the number of people that seem to have never actually read all the instructions on the form they're submitting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...this is my first suppressor and I wasn't informed that there was another option for a CLEO in my area until after the fact.

So...your process of "working through the Form 4" (a quote from your initial post) didn't involve reading the instructions printed on the form itself?

Instruction (2)(f):

Law Enforcement Notification. The transferee must provide a copy of the Form 4 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the transferee's address shown in item 2a of the Form 4. In addition, if the transferee is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, completed by each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor.

Just harassing you...but it's still amazing the number of people that seem to have never actually read all the instructions on the form they're submitting.

I deserve it When I started the process I was jumping through the old Form Hoops, then after the 13th the new Forms closed the door on needing the CLEO approval. I should have taken a step back and reassessed the situation. Had I done so I would have remembered the other CLEO designations. Whats scary is the fact that we as law abiding citizens need to be worried about BS like this. But I guess that's the oligarchy we live in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top