Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2016 3:17:17 PM EDT
Got to bring home four cans last night.  Two of them were integrated 10/22 barrels, the Liberty Pinnacle 2 and a Gem-tech Mist-22 TD.  I've had the HTA Fusion T22 since March.

I've posted before about my issues with the HTA can, but through trial and error I've gotten it working decently.  My function issues turned out to be bad ammunition and with all three ports open it'll keep bulk pack subsonic a little over 90% of the time.  Last weekend I took it to the range and put five 10 round mags through it of Remington Golden Bullet.  Of those 50 rounds three went supersonic.  Accuracy was pretty good for me on a hot day offhand at 50 yards.  No function problems at all and it was comfortably quiet.  Not awe inspiring, but decent.  Considering the price I got it for, I'm ok with it.

Now, on to the good stuff!  The Liberty and Gem-Tech from a manufacturing, design, and quality standpoint are in a completely different class from the HTA.  The Gem-Tech is just a slick setup and the core of the Liberty is a work of art.  I almost hate to shoot it as it is so pretty!

Liberty on top, Gem-Tech in the middle, and the now relegated to backup HTA on the bottom:

The Core of the Gem-Tech is their "G5" core and looks just like the core in my IOU converted Pilot.  The barrel is stated to be 10" long and the core is quite nicely pinned to the barrel to bring it out to 16".  The tube is the serialized part and just screws off.

The Liberty starts life as a Green Mountain 16" bull 1/16 twist match barrel (still marked on the side).  Liberty back bores it till the rifled portion of the barrel is 4.75" to keep bulk pack subsonic.  They then drop the core in (over 10" long) and have a threaded cap on the end.  The cap takes a large Allen wrench to open.  It also comes with a core extracter in case after a lot of shooting you can't get the core out of the barrel.  It's impressive looking.  Heres the Liberty disassembled with the uncovered Mist below:

It's a very long core, quite a bit bigger than the mist.  It'll be interesting to shoot them back to back.

Here's a pic of the HTA core when I first brought it home:

The HTA has a nut on the end of the barrel that holds the serialized tube on.  It also has three ports that come plugged.  I've found that you have to unplug all thee to keep bulk pack even close to subsonic.

I'll probably build up another 10/22 for the HTA can later just for another rifle.  I have to say, the Mist TD setup with a red dot on it is really freaking cool.  I'm planning to murder some pop cans with my son this weekend and will report back on how quiet the two new ones are.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome. Ever considered adding a TM operative to the list?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:04:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Guess I hadn't thought about Thompson.  I've got a WASP 22 from them and it's pretty cool.  Amazingly small, a little bigger than a Chapstick container.  Considering I've got three integrated cans I'll probably hold off.  Maybe another TD cause it's really a nifty setup.  I'm assuming Thompson makes a TD version of the Operative.  I saw they make a Charger version as well.  That might be cool.....
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Guess I hadn't thought about Thompson.  I've got a WASP 22 from them and it's pretty cool.  Amazingly small, a little bigger than a Chapstick container.  Considering I've got three integrated cans I'll probably hold off.  Maybe another TD cause it's really a nifty setup.  I'm assuming Thompson makes a TD version of the Operative.  I saw they make a Charger version as well.  That might be cool.....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The charger one is what I've been eyeing. Trying to get Brooks to make me a deal
ETA: looking forward to hearing your thoughts on any sound differences between the Gemtech and Liberty. Liberty is quite a bit more expensive, right?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, the Liberty is the most expensive by a bit.  $800 for the Liberty, $535 for the Gem-Tech, and I paid less than $400 (a lot less) for the HTA.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 7:59:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm interested in how that gemtech shoots, as mine just cleared F3 a few weeks ago and is at my dealer.  I have not visited yet.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 8:34:12 AM EDT
[#6]
What ammo types do you have?

I purchased the Pinnacle over the Mist for the ability to shoot bulk pack stuff and have it stay subsonic. Let us know what you shoot and whether it is super or sub out of a particular barrel.

They both look great!
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 9:36:53 AM EDT
[#7]
They are both going to get a workout today or tomorrow depending on the weather.

I've got some older RWS subsonic that the Gem-Tech will get fed, and my other mags are loaded with Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack.  I've got about everything on hand for testing.  I'll throw some Federal Automatch and some Winchester Super X in the range bag as well.  I've got plenty of Gem-tech subsonic but I feel that's "cheating" for the Mist.  Of course that will sound good......

ETA- specs on the rifles:

The one with the Liberty is a early 1980's receiver in a Boyd's stock with a VQ trigger pack.  BSA Sweet-22 scope.  I'd put a better scope on but it was a gift from my wife shortly after we got married.  And honestly it works pretty good.  Harris by pod as well.

Gem-tech rifle is a brand new stainless TD with a Hogue over mold stock and a Burris TR25 ($70 off Amazon).
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Those are some really awesome setups man! I'm especially interested in hearing your thoughts regarding sound performance between the Gemtech and Liberty.  I've been eyeing the Gemtech for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 2:16:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Those are some really awesome setups man! I'm especially interested in hearing your thoughts regarding sound performance between the Gemtech and Liberty.  I've been eyeing the Gemtech for a long time.
View Quote

Also interested in any accuracy differences due to barrel length differences? Been considering these two as well!
Link Posted: 7/3/2016 4:34:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Mist on a Ruger SR-22 rifle.  Shoots great.  I have not put it to paper, but can consistently hit about a 5" rock across a river at about 50yds with a TRS 25.

Only down fall I see to my set up is cleaning.  I have to take off the handguard to get to the baffles.

Cant remember which ones did, but shooting a variety of winchester 525 and SV CCI had a few go super...most stayed sub.  I love shooting the GEMTECH sub 22lr.   My Mist has the port hole.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 3:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Just got back from the range.  I'm a very happy man!  We used about 30 rounds getting the Liberty zeroed where I liked it.  Here's my last four rounds (zeroing) of Remington Golden Bullet bulk pack at 100, bench with bipod:

I didn't measure it but I'd swag it at 1.5".  I'm very pleased with the accuracy of the barrel.  I'm sure with good ammo it'll shoot that consistently.  As would be expected some of the groups were larger, I was just shooting to get it where it needed to be.  I put a total of 165 rounds of the above mentioned Golden Bullet through it.  No malfunctions and no round went supersonic.  The sound was impressive!  Very quiet!  The action made more noise than the round going off.

We then proceeded to get the Mist TD on paper.  As it was a brand new rifle it took three mags before it would run consistently.  I had short stroking issues.  I did apply lube to it last night.  Once we got the kinks worked out it ran fine.  Using RWS subsonic it was also very quiet.  VERY close to the Liberty.  I'd honestly have a hard time saying which one was quieter, but I gotta give the nod to the Liberty for running bulk pack at scary quiet levels.  Both of them were quieter than I remember the HTA being.

I haven't opened the Liberty yet after we got back but I did take the tube off the Gemtech.  The RWS is dirty ammo!  Lotta gunk came out when I pulled the tube off.  Shot 100 rounds of it.

My son and I ventilated some pop cans after getting them zeroed.  Had a great time.  He's partial to the Liberty.  I told him we'd build him up his own 10/22 using the HTA barrel.  Should be fun.
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:29:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Excellent update!
How was the accuracy of the Mist?
What stock is that on the Mist?
Link Posted: 7/4/2016 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Excellent update!
How was the accuracy of the Mist?
What stock is that on the Mist?
View Quote

Hogue overmold on the Mist TD.  The accuracy was good.  I didn't bench it from 100, I just shot it from 25 and 50.

Also, I just pulled the core from the Libety.  I did have to use the extractor provided basically to break it free.  It wiped clean with a paper towel after  the 165 rounds of Golden bullet.  I'm assuming most of the difference in cleanliness was the difference in ammo.  That RWS is dirty in other hosts as well.  The wax lube on the bullets tends to cause carbon to stick.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Minor update - Shot some Federal Automatch through the Liberty and it also stayed subsonic.  I was able to whack pop cans at 50 yards with ease.  I'll get some more paper time with it and really see how they both shoot in the next couple weeks.  I'm very pleased with both purchases and both barrels fill their niche very well.  The TD rifle with the Mist is VERY light and handy.  Really quick to point with the red-dot on it.  I'm not expecting match accuracy as I've heard the TD rifles will wander a little.  For my role for the rifle (general plinker plus cool compact rifle) it's perfect.  The Liberty is setup for more accuracy with the trigger and bipod.  It might get a better scope and the Sweet 22 might go on a rifle setup with the HTA can.  We'll see......
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the updates! Your report on the Pinnacle matches what I've been able to find elsewhere. Have you thought about getting the Mist ported or do you plan to just run subs through it? Locally I've seen quite a few more subsonic ammo options popping up so it's not as hard to come by as it once was.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:32:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks for the updates! Your report on the Pinnacle matches what I've been able to find elsewhere. Have you thought about getting the Mist ported or do you plan to just run subs through it? Locally I've seen quite a few more subsonic ammo options popping up so it's not as hard to come by as it once was.
View Quote

I think for the moment I'll leave it un-ported.  Based on where the can starts on the TD version versus what I've seen of the normal I'm not sure it could be ported properly anyway, but I can take that up with Gemtech.  I've got a pretty good supply of subsonic ammo so I'm not really worried about it.
Link Posted: 7/5/2016 1:47:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think for the moment I'll leave it un-ported.  Based on where the can starts on the TD version versus what I've seen of the normal I'm not sure it could be ported properly anyway, but I can take that up with Gemtech.  I've got a pretty good supply of subsonic ammo so I'm not really worried about it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't get it ported. I had a ported barrel and it never could reliably keep bulk pack ammo subsonic. It also made the fouling worse and the tube harder to get off the core.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:42:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Any updates on accuracy for the mist?
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 11:15:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

This was a 10-shot group by Gemtech when I sent my Mist in for service (just so I can't be accused of cooking the books ).

Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a Mist on a Ruger SR-22 rifle.  Shoots great.  I have not put it to paper, but can consistently hit about a 5" rock across a river at about 50yds with a TRS 25.

Only down fall I see to my set up is cleaning.  I have to take off the handguard to get to the baffles.

Cant remember which ones did, but shooting a variety of winchester 525 and SV CCI had a few go super...most stayed sub.  I love shooting the GEMTECH sub 22lr.   My Mist has the port hole.
View Quote

How hard is it to remove the handguard each time? What method of cleaning do you guys utilize to remove the 22lr carbon build up? I guess one could just clean every time?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 12:53:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

How hard is it to remove the handguard each time? What method of cleaning do you guys utilize to remove the 22lr carbon build up? I guess one could just clean every time?
View Quote

How 'durable" is the Mist suppressor tube?  Is it thin anodized aluminum?
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, it's reasonably thin.  I'm planning on being careful with it.  The tube on the HTA feels more durable, plus it's just a tube.  No threads or anything.  The Liberty feels like a tank.

ETA- so far I just pull the tube off and knock the crud out of the tube, then use a nylon brush to clean the crud out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

This was a 10-shot group by Gemtech when I sent my Mist in for service (just so I can't be accused of cooking the books ).

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/Engineer303/ammo_and_guns/target_after_zpsqwln3d0b.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j88/Engineer303/ammo_and_guns/target_after_zpsqwln3d0b.jpg

Cool. Looks more promising than i was expecting. What service was being done?
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Yea, it's reasonably thin.  I'm planning on being careful with it.  The tube on the HTA feels more durable, plus it's just a tube.  No threads or anything.  The Liberty feels like a tank.

View Quote

A back bored 0.920 barrel like Liberty seems to be a better solution for most people.  With nieces and nephews, soft cases in side-by-sides, trees, etc. (normal scrapes and bumps), the stainless option sounds preferable to me especially considering how long it is.  My thread-on do okay but, they come off go on as needed so, it is a whole lot easier to be gentle with them.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

A back bored 0.920 barrel like Liberty seems to be a better solution for most people.  With nieces and nephews, soft cases in side-by-sides, trees, etc. (normal scrapes and bumps), the stainless option sounds preferable to me especially considering how long it is.  My thread-on do okay but, they come off go on as needed so, it is a whole lot easier to be gentle with them.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you simply backbore a .920 barrel and drop some premade cups and get a threaded endcap? Sounds like a feasible F1 project...
I'm sure I'm overly simplifying it
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:15:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can you simply backbore a .920 barrel and drop some premade cups and get a threaded endcap? Sounds like a feasible F1 project...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You could, but cleaning would be a bitch.  Getting the individual baffles out with no real way to push them would not be easy.  That's where a monocore works better.  Liberty sends a tool to extract the core and it screws into the end of the stack.  I've had to use it every time.  Just to give me leverage to break the carbon free, never had to use a wrench.  It dropped out nice and smooth before shooting, but now that there's a little buildup in the tube it sticks.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:38:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I sent it in to have the ports plugged.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:58:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You could, but cleaning would be a bitch.  Getting the individual baffles out with no real way to push them would not be easy.  That's where a monocore works better.  Liberty sends a tool to extract the core and it screws into the end of the stack.  I've had to use it every time.  Just to give me leverage to break the carbon free, never had to use a wrench.  It dropped out nice and smooth before shooting, but now that there's a little buildup in the tube it sticks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ya I bet you're right, good call
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:23:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Now that I've been shooting them for a while I figured I'd update again.

I have done some upgrades on both rifles.  First on both were rubber coated bolt buffers.  On a suppressed 10/22 they really do quiet the action noise.  I also added Kidd charging handles, springs and guides to both.

The Liberty also got new optics (Vortex Diamondback HP) and a Kidd extended optic rail.  The Mist-TD got a new Boyd's stock as the Hogue cracked at the takedown screw hole.  It also got a Kidd single stage trigger (awesome!) and the BSA Sweet 22 scope with some Warne QD rings.  The whole thing still fits in the bag if you take the scope off.

The Liberty is just amazing with its ability to shoot any bulk pack I throw at it and it stays subsonic and stupid quiet.  Accuracy with Remington Golden Bullet bulk is not awesome.  About 3.5" at 100 yards.  I really do need to feed it some match rounds from the bench and see what it'll do.

The Mist-TD is also amazing with the RWS subs I've been feeding it.  Accuracy is very good.  Just a ragged hole at 25 yards.  Now that I've got some magnification on it and a great trigger on it I need to stretch its legs.  Did I mention the Kidd single stage is awesome?

I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the two volume wise.  Both are spokey quiet.

The Mist-TD:

The Liberty:
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 6:14:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top