Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/31/2016 3:22:19 AM EDT
I want to share my experience with the Gemtech IOU program for anyone considering having this done.

I bought an Outback II probably 8-9 years ago. This was before a lot of take apart cans were on the market (at least to my knowledge). While it was a great little suppressor, it filled up with lead and residue over a few years and 10 thousand plus rounds. It basically became an expensive muzzle weight. It simply sat in its box for the last 4-5 years as a result.

I found out that Gemtech was doing an IOU program and decided to pay and send it in. The process was pretty easy and took about a month door to door. My rebuilt suppressor came back with a pouch and manual. I mounted it to my 10/22 and shot about 250 rounds through it, mostly CCI subsonic and some mini mags. It sounds great with subs and didn't bother me with the mini mags and no ear plugs. I tried it on a couple of pistol hosts that a friend brought and shot about 100 rounds through those. I don't really care for it in that application due to first round pop. As a rifle can though, I think it shines. It is very light weight, sounds great, and came apart easy at the end of the day.

Overall, it was a good value in my opinion. It breathed life back into a useless paperweight that had been sitting unused for years. I hope this helps anyone on the fence about this upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#1]
My Oasis is heading to them presently. Glad you had a good experience.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had my IOU converted AAC Pilot for over a year now.  Got it back from Gemtech in January of 2015.  I think they did a great job bringing my old can back to life.  Yes, it's got some FRP, but it went from basically a paperweight (with a tax stamp) to a functional, user serviceable can.  I will say I use teflon plumbers tape on the core threads to keep it tight.  The core tended to come loose from the tube while firing before I did that, but after the tape I've had zero issues.  I haven't even replaced the tape yet through several cleanings.  "Gums up" the threads enough to keep the core tight in the tube so it won't back off.

Here's some pics of mine when it came back from Gemtech:

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Oasis is heading to them presently. Glad you had a good experience.
View Quote

I'd be interested in hearing how the Oasis turns out, been thinking about sending in mine for the upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's pretty cool that they will upgrade other brands as well as their own. That's pretty unique from a big name manufacturer from what I can tell. I haven't had mine loosen with use but I'll keep an eye on it and use the teflon tape you recommended if it does.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]
From start to finish I agree with the OP except mine seemed to sound almost identical to my brother's Spectre 2 on P22s w/ the same barrel length and same ammo back to back (our impression as well as a neutral third party observer 10 yards away).  My favorite part about the whole thing is that it is now full auto and 22 WMR/17 HMR rated.  I know I've posted it before, but I asked Gemtech to send a picture of it once open since mine weighed twice its original weight when sent in...  eight years of love does that to a sealed rimfire can

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm glad this thread came up.
I sent in my old Outback II for the IOU program amd they sent an email that it was received on May 6th.  Hopefully it will come back soon--I miss it.
I was a little concerned about the FRP.  Can you guys comment on how bad it is compared to how the suppressor was before you sent it in?  I never had FRP with the Outback II before.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Jrock762 works shipping and receiving there.  He's a good dude..
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I sent in my old Outback II for the IOU program amd they sent an email that it was received on May 6th.  Hopefully it will come back soon--I miss it.
I was a little concerned about the FRP.  Can you guys comment on how bad it is compared to how the suppressor was before you sent it in?  I never had FRP with the Outback II before.
View Quote

My old Pilot had pretty much no FRP due to the baffle design.  It now has some, and according to Dr. Dater the Pilot conversion is worse as the tube is longer than an Outback, so the blast chamber is larger.  I don't think it's a big deal.  The FRP doesn't make my ears ring on a pistol and on a rifle I hardly notice it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 7:00:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I only noticed the FRP on pistols. It was pretty loud but didn't ring my ears. My old one had zero FRP that I could detect on pistol or rifle, but then again it filled up with crud and got loud over time. Overall, I'm happy to use this as a rifle can. I'll buy a rimfire pistol can at some point in the future.
Link Posted: 6/4/2016 5:52:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks guys.
My Outback is on its way back from Gemtech per a recent email.
If the FRP is really annoying, it may end up a dedicated rifle suppressor.
I recently put a YHM Stinger in jail.  It has stainless steel baffles, and from what I've read, minimal if any FRP.  This may end up being a dedicated pistol suppressor instead.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top