Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2016 9:56:43 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting one more form 4 can in the next week or 2 and I am deliberating on which one to get. They seem to be close to identical in size and weight. I saw a mil-standard suppressor test on military arms channel and the Recce was about 3-4 DB quieter than the Specwar.

One aspect I am also thinking about is the mounting system. I also want to make several form 1 cans and I want the mounting system to be the same. I can get a end cap that fits the GA tapered muzzle devices for about $50.   SiCo is not so simple. There is an end cap for a MAAD mount, but the mount (from SiCo) costs $250. The only feasible option would be to by the Omega ASR mount ($120) and get a custom end cap made ($$??), but this is still more expensive than the GA mount. I tried to email SiCo and ask them what the thread size was, they said it is proprietary an they couldn't tell me . That almost made me want to by a GA product alone.

Some questions -
How good does the GA taper mounts work? Do they come loose at all during firing?
Anyone know of a Texas dealer that has stock of a Recce? I can only seem to find stock of a Specwar, which may make it my only choice anyhow.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a (generally) happy specwar (full size) owner. I paid a smokin' price too so that really alleviates any dissatisfaction with this can.
I also have a Recce 7 on F3 right now. The taper mount really intrigues me and their plethora of muzzle devices is the cherry on top.

I wouldn't mind having a Recce 5 in the stable but there are 1-2 556 cans near the top of my list.

You really don't have a right to be mad at SiCO for not providing you info so you can design your own product. That's money out of their pocket essentially, and I'm a F1 builder too. YHM is what you seek, IMHO
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You really don't have a right to be mad at SiCO for not providing you info so you can design your own product. That's money out of their pocket essentially, and I'm a F1 builder too. YHM is what you seek, IMHO
View Quote

I would agree about not giving away trade secrets, but this is a thread size we are talking about. Anyone with some decent machining skills could measure the thread size, so it is not something that can be effectively kept secret. I was just hoping they would save me the trouble of having to pay a machinist to get it measured.

They also wouldn't be loosing money by telling me, I'm going to build a form 1 can and a commercial can anyway.  I just wanted to be able to use muzzle devices compatible with my other SiCo products (the Specwar 7.62 I have in jail and the Specwar 5.56 K I am thinking about buying). I would have to buy something from SiCo that most form 1 guys would never buy, so they get atleast the $100 from me they wouldn't normally get.

The only reason I even started even looking at GA is the response SiCo gave me. But now that I started researching them, it looks like the Recce might be a better can. Plus the mounting system would be easier and less expensive for a form 1 can.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:02:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Why not get an Omega and buy a 5.56 end cap?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'd buy Ti parts for the omega first but this is a decent option
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:26:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't really need an Omega. This purchase is more about getting a small lightweight 5.56 can that is still in the 130db range.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Tagged.  I'm going through the exact same question.

Also considering mounting method and customer service of the two companies - anything to break the tie.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 1:56:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Tagged.  I'm going through the exact same question.

Also considering mounting method and customer service of the two companies - anything to break the tie.
View Quote

Buy one get one free mounts and devices from silencerco several times a year, to include the ASR adapter for the hybrid and omega. Also the silencerco one freebie policy covering anything stupid that may happen even if it's on purpose
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:06:46 AM EDT
[#8]
No experience with the Specwar K, but I do own a Recce 5 Mod 3.  Awesome can, and the Taper Mount brake is fool proof.   It locks up tight and the POI is repeatable.   No latches or springs to wear out or fumble with.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 3:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Between the two I would get the Recce 5 without blinking because of the superior mounting system

The fact that you want to use the Griffin mounts for F1 builds is just icing on the cake

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:33:47 PM EDT
[#10]
I have had the Specwar K and Omega in hand, side by side. SiCo's site says the Specwar K is .3 oz lighter, but that was not the case when I held them, the Omega was noticeably lighter. The Recce 5 specs say it's .8oz heavier than the Specwar K.

Both the Specwar and Recce 5 are 6.2" long. With a flat end cap the Omega is 6.6". The Omega suppresses better than either the Specawar K or Recce 5, though the difference isn't a whole lot. Given the mix of stats, I would have to go with the Omega and flat end cap, if I could get the pricing close. If not, the Specwar is a really nice suppressor, and I would go that route because of the weight.

JPK
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have had the Specwar K and Omega in hand, side by side. SiCo's site says the Specwar K is .3 oz lighter, but that was not the case when I held them, the Omega was noticeably lighter. The Recce 5 specs say it's .8oz heavier than the Specwar K.

Both the Specwar and Recce 5 are 6.2" long. With a flat end cap the Omega is 6.6". The Omega suppresses better than either the Specawar K or Recce 5, though the difference isn't a whole lot. Given the mix of stats, I would have to go with the Omega and flat end cap, if I could get the pricing close. If not, the Specwar is a really nice suppressor, and I would go that route because of the weight.

JPK
View Quote

Did you actually weigh the two? The Specwar is a denser can so it is likely to feel heavier.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:17:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Recce 5.

I have one on F4, if the reviews I read are correct and its anywhere near as quite as my saker k I'll be very happy. The fact that you want to F1 a few cans and can share mounts makes it a no brainer to me.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:48:58 PM EDT
[#13]
My Recce 5 sounds excellent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:08:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I was in the same boat as you and wanted a Recce 5 but decided on the Omega. It makes more sense in my mind as I can run it with a 5.56 end cap, it suppresses really well, it's super light and if I want to run it on any of my other 7.62 guns, I can. Why limit yourself?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a specwar K pending and got to shoot it next to my fullsize specwar and they sounded the same to everyone around.  It's really light and durable....
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I highly recommend the Recce 5.  It's really quite.  Check out the SilencerShop review.  I've had mine for a few months, I'm very happy with it.  

Also keep in mind SiCo muzzle devices are much heavier than Griffin's.  Which all adds up on the barrel end.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:04:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a recce7, and an alpha in jail. I am debating a recce5. The recce7 sounds great on a 5.56, but shorter is better ( in this context ).

Is silencershop gets the recce5 in, I will likely add one.

I can not say enough good things about the taper mounts.

My one nagging item is adding a 5.56 can that could go on the 7.62 mounts.

Might err on the side of extreme caution.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:56:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Tapper mount is awesome, no moving parts.  As for the putting a 5.56 on a 7.62.....just pay attention.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, I pay attention. But, I consider removing the possibility to be worthwhile.

Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#20]
All jokes aside, it's a great system.  I have both 5 and 7 they are awesome.  I've not had any problems.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#21]
I really like the mounting system on my Specwar K, so much so I think I might switch my Sakers over and in hindsight I believe the Specwar K is a much better value than my SOCOMs.  At the end of the day, these things are mufflers and the Specwar K does its job for a low cost.  I can't speak on the Griffin cans, but you cannot go wrong with a Specwar K.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#22]
it seems they are both great supressors with the Recce metering 3-5 db lower and touting low back pressure.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a specwarK in jail now. Got some good feedback on it here and elsewhere and bought without reservation. Any day now....
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:55:34 AM EDT
[#24]
I can tell you firsthand the Rec 5 is quieter than the Specwar.  I shot them on very similar SBRs, the Specwar hurt my ears and Rec 5 does not.  So I would assume it's quieter than the K.

As for the ASR vs MAAD mount I would agree it's a better design.  However since I always seem to find a way to screw anything with moving parts up, I prefer the tapper mount.   I like to forget to unlock the ASR ring before I start torquing on it.....

The tapper mount is stronger and repeatable, once the can heats up it will not come off.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 1:44:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone that has a Recce 5 in stock. So, either I buy a Specwar now before 41F or wait for someone to get stock and go through new the 41F process whenever they get back in stock.

Edit: I called Capitol and SS, both can not give me an estimate of when they will be back in stock. I checked out a local dealer that gets thier stuff from Allen and said Allen has no stock or ETA.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#26]
That sucks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:11:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone that has a Recce 5 in stock. So, either I buy a Specwar now before 41F or wait for someone to get stock and go through new the 41F process whenever they get back in stock.

Edit: I called Capitol and SS, both can not give me an estimate of when they will be back in stock. I checked out a local dealer that gets thier stuff from Allen and said Allen has no stock or ETA.
View Quote

Wait list at SS?

I was on it for 4-5weeks before I could order mine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Recce 5 shows in stock on Silencer Shop website right now.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 5:43:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Recce 5 shows in stock on Silencer Shop website right now.
View Quote

Thanks for letting me know!

I had called Capitol around lunchtime to see if they had a SPEQ eligible Specwar as this would be my last day to order one. They where out of stock so I decided I was going to wait a few weeks. After I got off a conference call, I saw this post and promptly ordered the Recce.

Talk about luck.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Tapper mount is awesome, no moving parts.  As for the putting a 5.56 on a 7.62.....just pay attention.
View Quote

I'll keep my existing investment in the Specwar 7.62 for my larger caliber guns, so I don't have to worry about that. I have a 308 and am considering a 6.8 SPC and those will just get 7.62 ASR muzzle devices. The only thing I am out right now is a 5.56 ASR muzzle device, so I'll just go out that in the EE.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top