Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2016 5:32:25 PM EDT
Ok, maybe not the ONLY reason I own suppressors, but one of the primary reasons is to be able to shoot here at home without bothering the neighbors too much. (We live out in the country, but neighbors are only 100-200yds away.)

I am trying to encourage my kids to shoot, and being able to attach a suppressor to my son's .22 rifle and not have to mess with ear pro makes it more enjoyable for my kids.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
That's why I have invested in several 22 guns and suppressors this year.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 5:43:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Today was the first time I let my 11 year old take his rifle out by himself to shoot. It warmed my heart!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I snagged a savage rascal .22 for my daughter and got it threaded. Should be nice with my keystone armory situator
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course, now my kids are spoiled on suppressors and don't ever want to go to public ranges where they have to wear ear pro.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:08:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Of course, now my kids are spoiled on suppressors and don't ever want to go to public ranges where they have to wear ear pro.
View Quote

Yep.  I've got the same issue.  My son only wants to shoot suppressed now.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:11:11 PM EDT
[#7]
A suppressed .22 is great fun for anyone, but it's especially nice for beginning shooters.  I get a kick out of handing my suppressed .22 SBR upper to new shooters.

My wife and daughter aren't new shooters, but they love it too.  The other day at the range they spent the whole time plinking at a Texas Star with it.  They had an absolute blast.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#8]
still some eye protection would have been nice
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:27:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

yep.  plus, even suppressed rifles, unless subsonic ammo is used, they are still loud, 120+ db.

extended exposure is not a good thing for kids who are still developing.

I wear ear plugs no matter what.  probably I'm used to them, 8 hours a day at work, or get fired.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:42:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Came here to say this.

Not telling you how to raise your kids by any means, but a good practice to start them out young is to at least wear eye protection.  You only get 2 of them in your life.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:53:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 9:55:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not telling you how to raise your kids by any means, but a good practice to start them out young is to at least wear eye protection.  You only get 2 of them in your life.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Guess you guys wore helmets when you were riding your bicycle as a kid too right...

Not trying to start anything, but if the OP's kids are shooting into a soft backstop I don't see the issue.  These days everyone apparently needs a safety device for every daily activity

Good job OP, raising your kids right
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Today was the first time I let my 11 year old take his rifle out by himself to shoot. It warmed my heart!
View Quote

Well done Dad.

I was blessed with growing up on a 155 acre farm. We leased out a portion of the land to a sand and gravel company. I had my pick of pits, sand piles, and larger berms to shoot into.

I also had a father that taught me right and after proving my self....trusted me to go and shoot on my own. I was around the same age 11 or 12 and understood the responsibility that I was being entrusted with. I was grateful and it made me even more careful.

My first rifle was an M1 Carbine....LOL....not much of a "carbine" when you are 12. Nothing like the freedom of being able to sling your own rifle and go shoot on your property.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 1:45:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I am doing the same thing.

I grew up on a farm, no neighbors beside family. And I could go shoot hunt all day with out disturbing anyone. Fast forward a few years, me and the wife live out in the country on a few acres and have 1 set of neighbors who are elderly.  Their house is about 60 feet from my house. And my little range is about 100 yards from their home.(pointing in a safe direction) I shoot but only when they are not at home. I have been taking the daughter out shooting on the range but it was hard since the neighbors are home most of the time. With the recently purchased 22 suppressor in NFA jail that will no longer be a problem. Looking forward to me and the daughter making more memories.

upload a picture

Jan 1 2016 Her first shot was at 97 feet and hit the large steel plate free hand. Was using CCI HP segmented quite ammo. CZ 452 scout.

print screen

The Range has since been updated. Having a buddy make me some more funny shaped steel targets. No bad for $40.00 Think I may have him do a rhino or turtle next.

image upload
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 3:40:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Shooting suppressed 22 rf is what I shoot 90% of the time these days because I can do so in my own backyard.  Now I am finding myself wishing I had an 22 bolt action I can fire suppressed as well as at least one more 22 rf can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Came here to say this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to say this.

Jesus guys, it is a bolt action rifle is it not?  Give OP a break about the glasses

Also, are you going to tell me a suppressed 22 bolt rifle is not hearing safe

Op, what is the rifle?
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:29:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Jesus guys, it is a bolt action rifle is it not?  Give OP a break about the glasses

Op, what is the rifle?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to say this.

Op, what is the rifle?

I wouldn't let my kids shoot suppressed all afternoon without ear pro
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Came here to say this.

Op, what is the rifle?

Well I guess the cracks can ad up.  Only 85 db is rated for continuous exposure, admittedly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Enjoyed shooting yesterday evening at 7pm without bothering the neighbors.  It's nice to have the option.  Too bad silencers cause so much crime that the government needs to regulate them for our safety.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:58:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:59:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I own suppressors for my wife and my future children (one cooking in the oven as we speak) and for every first time shooter I ever take to the range.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:00:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

There isn't historical data to support silencer use in crime being a factor worthy of consideration.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Enjoyed shooting yesterday evening at 7pm without bothering the neighbors.  It's nice to have the option.  Too bad silencers cause so much crime that the government needs to regulate them for our safety.

There isn't historical data to support silencer use in crime being a factor worthy of consideration.

I believe his post was in jest.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 6:52:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

also sensed sarcasm. I think there are 2-3 cases of murders with a can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:31:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Now I am finding myself wishing I had an 22 bolt action I can fire suppressed as well as at least one more 22 rf can.
View Quote

Perfect for backyard shooting.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:59:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Op, what is the rifle?
View Quote

Ruger American youth model with factory threaded barrel.

It's a bolt action that takes the 10/22 rotary magazines. He fired maybe 50 rounds total.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

It's a bolt action that takes the 10/22 rotary magazines. He fired maybe 50 rounds total.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Op, what is the rifle?

How do you like the rifle so far?  I was thinking about picking up the same rifle in an adult model to have a bolt action 22 for suppressed use.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:08:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the rifle. Most recommended a 10/22, but I wanted him to focus on marksmanship fundamentals and shoot slower. I had a semiauto 22 rifle when I was new to shooting and my best friend had a bolt action. He was always a better shot than me.

It's a quality rifle, and I would recommend it to anyone.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#28]
what's the twist rate on that thing how heavy of a bullet can you shoot through it? That's pretty neat that it uses Ruger mags
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:10:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:35:33 PM EDT
[#30]
My two kids will not shoot unless a suppressor is involved.    I need to get more now...  To those of you that say you would not let your kids shoot with out ear pro have never shot a suppressed bolt action .22.  My Ruger American is the quietest gun I have ever fired.  You can actually hear the fireing pin hit the rim.  I run CCI standard velocity in mine.  Very accurate too.  I really need another .22 can.  I have three threaded .22's now.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:29:09 AM EDT
[#31]
These two matching CZ 452 American 16" threaded rifles belong to my boys...2 years old and 1 week old. I hope they appreciate them when they're old enough to take small game hunting and target shooting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top