Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2016 2:06:32 PM EDT
This is a Noveske 8.5" 300 blk barrel, with a SiCo flash hider ASR mount and Specwar 7.62 can. I installed the flash hider; used about 20 ft/lbs and Rockset. I've shot about 100 rounds without any apparent issues. Decided to get an alignment rod and noticed that it's much closer on one side than the other. The close side is 6 o'clock when mounted on the barrel. I don't want to deal with a strike if I can help it and curious as to what I should do about it.

Is this an issue or should I just shut up and go to the range?

I tried to move the end to where the lighting was best. Also the rod sticks out an inch so it's hard to get a straight shot straight down the barrel but you can tell with the eye when you look at it.

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#1]
If you already shot 100 rounds without issue is say you're good to go. ADCO can make it perfectly concentric if you decide to take action on it though.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
That needs fixed in my opinion. With that being off, a bullet that would normally be a near miss will instead be a strike.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 4:58:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That needs fixed in my opinion. With that being off, a bullet that would normally be a near miss will instead be a strike.
View Quote

That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm going to call Noveske Monday and see what they say, maybe SiCo too. Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That's kinda what I was thinking. I'm going to call Noveske Monday and see what they say, maybe SiCo too. Thanks for the input!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Having shot it and not had any problems they might tell you they aren't willing to do anything, but SiCo has good service so you might be pleasantly surprised.

Let us know what you find out.
Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:41:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Have you tried a different ASR mount just to confirm that it is indeed the barrel that has the runout issue and not the particular mount that you have on right now?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 7:29:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Have you tried a different ASR mount just to confirm that it is indeed the barrel that has the runout issue and not the particular mount that you have on right now?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote

Have not tried yet but I have an ASR brake and hider ready to swap out. I just discovered this Saturday and before I fight the Rockset, I wanted to get an idea of what the issue probably is before doing anything.

I'll give N and SiCo a call and see what they say and will report back. Also will try a different MD and see how the alignment looks.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#7]
OST.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Who made the alignment rod shown in the photos?
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:13:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

CNC Warrior. It seems really nice and as far as i can tell straight as an arrow. Got the .223 version too.

Also an update. I spoke with Noveske who said if its our barrel we'll make it right. Spoke to SiCo who said if it's our stuff we'll make it right. Waiting on a contact back from SiCo tech support before I take anything apart. Nice to know that each will stand behind their products. Will update when I have more.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:17:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

CNC Warrior. It seems really nice and as far as i can tell straight as an arrow. Got the .223 version too.

Also an update. I spoke with Noveske who said if its our barrel we'll make it right. Spoke to SiCo who said if it's our stuff we'll make it right. Waiting on a contact back from SiCo tech support before I take anything apart. Nice to know that each will stand behind their products. Will update when I have more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

If there is any way to get some other 5/8-24 suppressor, check it on this barrel.  
Also, another barrel that is good with other cans could also be tested with your items.
This might get you in the right direction before you send anything to the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:38:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Thanks.

If there is any way to get some other 5/8-24 suppressor, check it on this barrel.  
Also, another barrel that is good with other cans could also be tested with your items.
This might get you in the right direction before you send anything to the manufacturer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Thank you, that's a really good idea! I have another can in jail i can check edit: it's 5.56 so that won't work but they also have ASR mounts on rifles there. Might be able to get there this week.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 2:36:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something simple that might be worth doing. Find a friend with an arrow spinner if you don't have one and spin up your alignment rod and see what it looks like. Just a thought.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:32:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Something simple that might be worth doing. Find a friend with an arrow spinner if you don't have one and spin up your alignment rod and see what it looks like. Just a thought.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for that idea, I'll see if I can locate one. I did spend a bit of time rotating the rod in the barrel to see if it changed the alignment and it didn't. Also rolled it on a glass table and to the eye it looks dead nuts on.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 7:40:47 AM EDT
[#15]
Looks like the rod is made out of steel...not something I would want to stick down my barrel.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:47:45 AM EDT
[#16]
High end steel cleaning rods are actually preferred by some experienced rifle shooters.
The hard steel can't embed other particles to act as an abrasive on the barrel.
With any rod, store it in a tube and wipe it down before use.  Always use a bore guide.

The one thing I would do to that rod -judging by the photos, is polish the slight radius at each end.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#17]
All good points, thank you for them!

SiCo responded and said that from the pics there doesn't appear there should be any issues. They invited me to send it in and they would check the tolerances. They also said that it's covered by the lifetime warranty so if something happens, they would cover it.

Ball is in my court now so I'm going to check a different ASR muzzle device on my barrel and also check the suppressor on a different rifle & mount. Will report back with my findings but it may be through the weekend before I have time to get all that done.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Interested to see what OP discovers.
I suppose there could be any number of reasons.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Just a observation.I bought 2 rods from CNC warrior to check my cans and mounts. I don't believe either rod is very accurate as all my barrels seemed to show some alignment problems even high quality ones I had used for some time. When I rotated rod it did seem to change the alignment slightly so I figured the rod wasn't perfectly straight to begin with. Considering ordering a geissele rod for the future.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:03:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Looks like the rod is made out of steel...not something I would want to stick down my barrel.
View Quote

Why? It's not engaging the rifling or anything.

If I remember correctly many gun manufacturers use similar rods to check straightness. Think I remember a FN video that showed them doing it to every barrel.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

If I remember correctly many gun manufacturers use similar rods to check straightness. Think I remember a FN video that showed them doing it to every barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd be afraid of scratching it but different strokes for different folks.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You mean LIKE THIS?

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:27:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Regarding the CNC warrior rod, I can't speak for others but the one I received seems pretty straight. If you turn the rod it doesn't change the alignment within the suppressor. I figured with a name like CNC warrior it had to be ok. I couldn't stomach the price of Geissele rod. I use their triggers and some other tools but just couldn't hand over the coin for the rod.

I put on my spare Specwar flash hider and it got better. I'm willing to live with this, especially since SiCo insists that they don't believe it will be a problem and they will fix it if it became one.

I think the hole in the end of the can is a little bias to one side. First two are opposite sides and the bottom two are opposite sides.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:07:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well you do not put it down the BBL like it is a bore scrubber....
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:32:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
25% off Gieselle at Primary Arms Memorial Day Weekend, including the alignment rods

Still $56+shipping but thats a healthy discount.
View Quote

I saw that the other day, and I'm pretty tempted, but it still seems like a lot of money to spend on a rod.

Of course, if it prevented a baffle strike, it'd more than pay for itself.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The rods don't always fit the barrel bores closely so sometimes a picture like you are showing doesn't indicate poor alignment.  If the rod is straight and not bent, and is just about squeaking into the bore, then it probably would indicate poor alignment.  

The AAC cans with the holes not in the center of the suppressor can represent properly manufactured EDM bored silencers.  Silencers which have cores that are comprised of 7-15 or more parts welded together often are not straight after they are welded- even if they are pressed into a straight outer tube.  That is the whole purpose of EDM- if the welded can was perfectly straight there would be no need to EDM it to straighten the bore to the bullet flight path.  

Conversely, EDM cuts true to the settup.  So if the operator didn't set it up right that could also be the source of the eccentricity.  So nothing is perfect, and EDM itself doesn't guaranty perfection.
View Quote

Thank you for taking the time to respond, that is great information I didn't know before.

I wouldn't say the rod is particularly loose or tight, it slides firmly but easily. I did consider what you're saying, over all, and tried to hold it in different orientations and see if that increased the bias to one side. Really it seems pretty consistent and unless I pull the rod to one side it doesn't change its position. If I rotate the rod, the apparent alignment remains the same.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#29]
My form 1 can uses a similar mount design.  It it's fine on the ARs and bolt guns, but I also made a mount for my Yugo M92 which is a threaded sight base.  The run-out on that is worse than you have pictures but it works fine.

I think bore rods are a good idea for anyone with multiple suppressors or hosts though.  You could not tell until I made one to check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top