Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/4/2016 1:30:06 PM EDT
I bought this can for the ability to switch between the standard and short 'K' configuration. However, I'm having issues getting the thing a part to make the switch. The most problematic area is the little ring on the back end of the suppressor. I've circled it in red.

The instructions say to use the provided loc-tite on this area, but I have problems getting it loose without the loc-tite.

I've tried pieces of rubber to grip the can and the ring without much success. That ring is so small and hard to get a grip on. I finally managed to wrap the can enough to use channel locks, though I did leave a slight mark on the spacer piece. I don't want to have to fight this thing every time I want to go from short to long configuration. It kind of defeats the purpose of having a suppressor  that is marketed giving the impression it's an easy task to go from standard to short configuration.

Anyone have any methods they've come up with to address this issue? I was thinking maybe a couple of rubber pipe wrenches may work, if I can get them small enough. But I hate to keep buying things that may not work.

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I believe the ring on the Griffin Resistance is notched for a CAR stock wrench. Maybe you could send yours back and have them notch it to make removal easier:

Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Holy crap where/how did you get that? Maybe mine came with the ring it did by mistake. I'll contact Griffin and see what they say!
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I just noticed on Griffins website that they upated the whole Revolution 9 with the resistance features. They now come with take down tools and are notched for tool usage. There is also now a mini half baffle at the front of the stack?

Maybe the Griffin Rep can give us some more info. It would be really nice to have at least the piston removal tool. I ordered my Revo 9 about 6 months ago and it just got here.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Holy crap where/how did you get that? Maybe mine came with the ring it did by mistake. I'll contact Griffin and see what they say!
View Quote

It's a SHOT Show 2016 video. the notched feature came out with the Resistance so I wouldn't expect versions of the Revolution predating the Resistance to have those features.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:38:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:27:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got a message from Griffin:

"The hex tool will be available on the website within the next 3-5 days. An upgrade will possibly be offered in the future, more info will be posted when/if that becomes available.

-Griffin Armament Tech Support"
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Was wondering how the heck I'm supposed to get this thing apart later with no place to grab it with a tool.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Strap wrench has saved me so far with my ASR mounts and now with these.

Dumb question: Engraving feels super shallow on my Rev9 compared to my Omega. Is there a risk of engraving becoming illegible if paint is applied? Should it feel really shallow?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:23:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I too have had a very difficult time getting that ring loose and ended up nicking mine up changing configuring using channel locks. I haven't even put any round through it yet. My solution is leaving it in full sized configuration and buying a Octane 45K. I also have a Obsidian pending and it looks like it can be switched around much easier than the Revolution.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The slotted ring is part of an upgrade package to the suppressor series.   The best way to get the original design apart is to use either a red Klien tools strap wrench.
View Quote

Is this the one you'd recommend?

Klein Tools S-6H Grip-It 6-Inch Strap Wrench with 1-1/2-to-5-Inch Capacity, Silver/Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DIN9P/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awd_YxNkxbRVH2PEB
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I used two strap wrenches to take my Rev9 apart.  One on each part.  No marks or finish damage.  If that didn't work I was going to use a heat gun on the outer part (tube) to get it to expand and loosen up but didn't have to.

Has there been any baffle upgrades to the Rev9 to lower the tone?  My Rev9 makes my ears ring and my Osprey does not on the same hosts/ammo.  The Osprey seems to have a lower tone.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#14]
This is has been my biggest complaint about the Rev9.  Any significant torque on the assembled suppressor tightens down the booster piston housing into the external booster housing and it is nearly impossible to get it unstuck.  The first time this happened to my I had to send it back to Griffin Armament for repair.  The second time I was able to use a hex key secured in a vice and inserted into the holes of the booster piston housing and finally got the two pieces apart with a strap wrench.

This is also problematic when switching between the piston and 3 lug adapter.  My advice is use a liberal amount of anti seize on the threads and hope the parts don't get stuck again.  It would be nice if Griffin Armament offered the proposed upgrade free of charge to existing Rev9 owners since this seems to be a design flaw causing this trouble.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:46:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:21:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm pretty disappointed in the product as well,  and will likely never buy another item from GA.

If it's not a design flaw,  it's certainly a bit of marketing BS. I got the impression it was an easily configurable suppressor.... Between regular and short (k)  configuration. It's anything but IMO.

I don't have much experience with suppressors and sound levels,  but it seemed to do great in both normal and short configurations. Tested in indoor range that echoes.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:35:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If it's not a design flaw,  it's certainly a bit of marketing BS. I got the impression it was an easily configurable suppressor.... Between regular and short (k)  configuration. It's anything but IMO.

View Quote

Everyone has said from the get go that most people will choose one variation and stick with it. Same goes for the Rugged Surge. User configurable is gimmickie IMHO. Ymmv
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Gimmicky is a better choice of words.

I like the short version for in the home,  and the longer version was to be used when I shoot at a place I go regularly. It's outside city limits,  but still has neighbors who don't like to hear the shots sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:47:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Everyone has said from the get go that most people will choose one variation and stick with it. Same goes for the Rugged Surge. User configurable is gimmickie IMHO. Ymmv
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with the only exception being the Salvo 12.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:04:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Wow, I was actually waiting for one to show up in stock at Capitol, but I guess I will look at other options.

Does rugged have a problem similar to this? I see that their short tube is in the front rather than the back. If they have a problem, I just might buy a separate K style and a normal style suppressor from SciCo instead.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:05:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I actually think to use both K and long, though.  If I plan to stick one version, I'd buy standard can.
 I was planning to buy their Optimus and/or Alpha from Capitol Armory, but now....definitely holding pattern, or go something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually think to use both K and long, though.  If I plan to stick one version, I'd buy standard can.
 I was planning to buy their Optimus and/or Alpha from Capitol Armory, but now....definitely holding pattern, or go something else.

I have an Optimus in jail. I'm not worried about it, it's one issue with one can and they're offering an upgrade as soon as things slow down.

I read threads almost every day about people having problems with another "big name" suppressor companies mounts. This seems minor compared to the $$$ those people have invested in what seems to be a problematic mounting system IMO.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:36:38 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#24]
If only using in long configuration, just get the resistance...that's what I did.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 11:48:12 AM EDT
[#25]
It is hard to swap.  After a couple times of shooting and changing it out, you will get fed up and stick with one configuration.  My Room mate has one and it gets changed from long to K once in a while, usually when he is putting it in his 9mm SBR.  He thought he would change configuration a lot more.  As carbon builds in the thread you shouldnt need the loc tite.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:03:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
 As far as I know, at least this "big name" suppressor company has replaced the mounts for free.

How does Griffin expect current owners to disassemble the parts when there's no proper tool provided?  Oh...Yes, you can...But you have to pay $160 to upgrade.    Seems to me their R&D needs to be "upgrade".

Can one "undo" their Form 4?  Because if so, I'll undo Form 4 and go with something else.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an Optimus in jail. I'm not worried about it, it's one issue with one can and they're offering an upgrade as soon as things slow down.

I read threads almost every day about people having problems with another "big name" suppressor companies mounts. This seems minor compared to the $$$ those people have invested in what seems to be a problematic mounting system IMO.

As far as I know, at least this "big name" suppressor company has replaced the mounts for free.

How does Griffin expect current owners to disassemble the parts when there's no proper tool provided?  Oh...Yes, you can...But you have to pay $160 to upgrade.    Seems to me their R&D needs to be "upgrade".

Can one "undo" their Form 4?  Because if so, I'll undo Form 4 and go with something else.
+1

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 2:32:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yes, you can cancel a Form 4. Can you get your money back? That's up to your dealer and its cancellation policy.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#28]
I've had a Rev9 for almost 8 months now. I have never shot it and I had to sent it back to the factory to have the marred booster assembly replaced. When you thread the can on your host and tighten it like any other suppressor it will lock up. Heat didn't work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:35:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Well this thread convinced me to get an Octane 9.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Find a Ti-rant
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:50:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks GA charging existing Rev9 owners $160 to upgrade their suppressors to make them easier possible to disassemble is pure BS.  Last time I had a problem with my booster housing getting stuck GA sent me the rubber hex tool.  It didn't work.  Looks like its designed to remove the piston assembly or a 3 lug mount from the booster housing.  It doesn't do squat to help separate a stuck booster housing assembly.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Find a Ti-rant
View Quote

I'm looking for one, but AAC discontinued them.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm looking for one, but AAC discontinued them.
View Quote

Should be a large handful still in the wild. I'll see what I can dig up. Maybe others have leads. Even a 9s would be okay
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Thanks guys. My rev 45 got out of jail today...
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Man, this sucks!  I'd kinda lusted after a Revo 9 when it came out, but I jumped on the cheap TiRANT's when they were available.  Looks like I made the right choice.  I really like my M4SDK though.  Only GA can I have.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Wow, I was actually waiting for one to show up in stock at Capitol, but I guess I will look at other options.

Does rugged have a problem similar to this? I see that their short tube is in the front rather than the back. If they have a problem, I just might buy a separate K style and a normal style suppressor from SciCo instead.
View Quote

I have a Surge & a Rev45.  The Surge module swap out is simple, no tools required.  The only tool needed is the one supplied for the end cap.  2 parts, that's it.

I've changed the Rev around & didn't note any issues.  I may have to try it more to see if I can replicate any of the issues being described.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#37]
For those complaining on not getting free upgrade parts, I would rather have Griffin focus on cranking out cans to meet the pre-41F demand.    There is a lot more going on with 41F than just some fingerprint cards and photos.

Another option for taking the can down is to wrap that rear knurled part with some leather and stick it in a bench vise.   I've had no trouble at all with that.  

Make sure to take the endcap off first.  I've read of a lot of people failing to do that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 2:08:10 AM EDT
[#38]
I've been trying to get mine apart for a week. After a few hundred full auto rounds from an mp5 the booster assembly seems frozen. I want to set it up in the k configuration but I don't think it's going to happen without damage. As far as the $160 upgrade goes, thats good to know. I'll gladly put that $160 towards a can from some one else.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 11:12:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:00:20 PM EDT
[#40]
I shot my Revolution 45 for the first time yesterday on a Glock 17. Wow, with a LH thread and all the different parts screwing together in the opposite direction, it was a real chore to keep it all together. I will have to chose a configuration and do some loctitiing. Performance wise it did very well. I don't regret my purchase as I already have the Octane 45 HD and Octane 45k and wanted something else to try. I just wish it had the same modularity capabilities as the Obsidian (pending now). That being said, it would be nice if they would retrofit the older design blast assembly with the new one with notches free of charge.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:04:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine was difficult to remove a few times.  Can't remember how I broke it free but it sure wasn't a major deal.  I change configurations in my gun room at the work bench so it really isn't a big issue for me.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Klein strap wrench.  I'll add a couple to my tools. I guess if you are swapping configs multiple times at the range you should probably pick one up too.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:37:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#43]
I have already had issues separating booster/mount from the endcap on my never used revolution. Didn't think you Loctite endcap to extension ?

Guess they won't take returns. Did they change the baffle stack on the upgraded version ?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:47:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:51:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I have a Surge & a Rev45.  The Surge module swap out is simple, no tools required.  The only tool needed is the one supplied for the end cap.  2 parts, that's it.

I've changed the Rev around & didn't note any issues.  I may have to try it more to see if I can replicate any of the issues being described.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This has been my experience also.  I find myself switching between the long and short configuration quite often, depending on what host I decide to take to the range with me..
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:01:28 PM EDT
[#47]
I got two endcap strikes on my very first outing with my revo 9, I couldn't get a grouping with it. I put it up and haven't touched it since. Pistol host was a p30 hk and ammo was 147 gr lawman. I was going to buy a tirant 9 but the jerkoff at silencer shop convinced me the revo 9 was the latest and greatest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 1:40:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I got two endcap strikes on my very first outing with my revo 9, I couldn't get a grouping with it. I put it up and haven't touched it since. Pistol host was a p30 hk and ammo was 147 gr lawman. I was going to buy a tirant 9 but the jerkoff at silencer shop convinced me the revo 9 was the latest and greatest.
View Quote

I'm not sure that sounds like a suppressor issue. Factory threaded barrel?
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 2:14:36 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/8/2016 2:15:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be either, but if it had happened to me, I don't think I would  just put it on a shelf and forget about it.

Either the barrel is threaded non-concentric, or the suppressor/piston is. Both would be going to a third party to determine which.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top