Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 10:10:47 AM EDT

I have this old 18t suppressor. The wife wont let me upgrade till its dead, so im putting together a new upper in hope of bringing this thing to its demise. However I would like to do it without baffle strikes. Many moons ago I seem to remember someone saying you CANNOT use a crush washer when mounting the AAC hider. Is this correct? The reason I want to use it, it will give me just enough space to use the rail I want. 12" on a 12.5" barrel.

Any info would be great.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:15:49 AM EDT
[#1]
No crush washer. Use a fat shim.
FYI AAC has a program to upgrade 18t M42ks, not sure if that exists for the 1ks
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:17:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I wouldn't say you can't, but you really shouldn't. I know adco sells a 1/4" spacer, while maybe not ideal that would probably be preferable to a crush washer.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Total number of Suppressor Manufacturers that approve crush washer use:    Zero

Suppressor Manufacturers that specifically say to not  use crush washers:  All
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Silencerco makes a threaded spacer for situations just like this.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#5]
No crush washer, put it on 10.5, do a few Cmags, your wife will let you have a new can in no time.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#6]
*edit*

The Silencerco is 2x the size of the crush, is that a big deal when losing threads for the flash hider?

Ok guys. No crush, will find the Silencerco spacer and run with that.

Was gonna go with the 10.5" but found the 12.5" first.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

pretty sure ops inc. specified a crush washer
eta. fuck spell check
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 4:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

pretty sure ops inc. specified a crish washer
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only because there are multiple points of contact for alignment. The exception, not an acceptable rule
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:47:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Crish washer, maybe.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 4:30:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I never heard about that.  Do you know any more details?  Costs?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:34:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$250 I believe
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
They wont do anything for the 1000's. I asked a few years back.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They wont do anything for the 1000's. I asked a few years back.
View Quote

New management looking to build rapport in the community right? Might be worth another email. Ymmv but good data point
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Id give them a call again. If they were willing to change the mount system I wouldnt intentionally be trying to kill this thing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:06:06 AM EDT
[#15]
never heard of anybody wearing out the guts on an AAC can.  YMMV!

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive had it since '08 and it still works like day one. Just sucks when it comes loose. Ill probably end up with a baffle strike from the mount issues before the guts wear out.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:47:22 AM EDT
[#17]
You can't get another suppressor until you destroy your current one? Okay... it's not like they take half a year to get or anything

Also... use like 3 crush washers on it (it's better if they've already been used). That should be good. You'll also be able to get a new can pretty quickly if you're lucky.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 1:54:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I just had this thought... She's not wanting you to buy another suppressor... yet she's Okay with you putting thousands of rounds through this one? Let's just say it takes another 5k rounds to wear this one out (and that's if you're doing full auto dumps and go through that 5k in a day... and that's still probably not going to do it). 5k of 556 Is roughly $1,500.00 minimum if you find a good deal (including shipping. Or tax if you buy locally).
Now how much does a new suppressor cost and how much will it cost to replace said ammo? You're looking at $3k to probably not even wear the thing out. Just buy another fucking can.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 3:28:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Its not the money. Its the fact I have tons of shit, not just this hobby but all my hobbies. Its a big money item and she knows a lot of my stuff tends to collect dust. I dont need the new one, I want it. She knows that. So yeah, happy wife, happy life. One item goes, the next comes in.

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:16:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Lifetime warranty applies - call us and we can work something out.
View Quote

you just made me glad i recently purchased another AAC can. like you said there is much more to buying a can than specs and internet video's

Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:42:57 PM EDT
[#22]
So I spoke with a tech at AAC. For now, all I'm gonna say is this new management has really stepped up. Will update more as I can.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 5:44:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So I spoke with a tech at AAC. For now, all I'm gonna say is this new management has really stepped up. Will update more as I can.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:22:39 AM EDT
[#24]
So what is involved in the upgrade program?  Just conversion to the 51t mounting system?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:02:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I believe they replace the entire core. Unfortunately for me I have a model that is spot welded and mine cannot be fixed, since pulling the spot welds out would destroy the entire can. I will keep this thread updated as details come in. As of now AAC has asked me to send my suppressor in for them to look over.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I believe they replace the entire core. Unfortunately for me I have a model that is spot welded and mine cannot be fixed, since pulling the spot welds out would destroy the entire can. I will keep this thread updated as details come in. As of now AAC has asked me to send my suppressor in for them to look over.
View Quote

Yep, I've got a 2006 vintage M4-2000 with the spot welded baffles as well.

ETA:  Did they discuss the possibility of converting the mounting system to the 51t system?
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View Quote

I'm glad they're honoring old upgrade programs for some things. Some are getting the "that was under previous management" response; so basically you're SOL. I asked about the Element End Cap Upgrade program they used to have in the industry section and they said that is no longer an option. So, rather than pay then for the upgrade, I just bought a Dead Air Mask. I've liked my Element except for the end cap wanting to stay with the barrel when you remove it. I miss the days when you could call them up and actually talk to people like Mike Mers on the phone; I remember him chatting for a bit when I called up to get a second piston for my Ti-Rant 45.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#28]
I spoke to two different living people. Both were more than cool and willing to help right away. I talked with the tech for a little while explained what the issue was and he explained what could and couldn't be done. From there he said send it in and we would sort things out. I don't want to say exactly what was said till everything is set in stone. Package was sent off this afternoon so they should get it friday.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 2:26:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Percentage of suppressors mounted using crush washers, probably 75%
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top