Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2016 1:38:41 AM EDT
I'm new to the NFA field.  I just recently setup my trust now I want to do a few things before 41F kicks in.  I'm going to SBR my Scorpion Evo and Zenith Z-5P and I am going to get my first (and possibly only?) can.  So I need it to be versatile and looking at the Silencerco Hybrid which is at my LGC for I think it is around $750.  I know the Hybrid might not be the best thing for someone that already has multiple cans, but I don't.  I like the fact that it can be used for all of my weapons (I understand I'll have to buy adapters for them though).  I'd be looking to use it on these guns:

AR15
AR10
AK.47
CZ Scorpion Evo
Zenith Z-5P
Glock 21
Ruger 10/22
Springfield Armory 1911

Is the Hybrid as versatile as it seems to be from the videos I've watched?  Reliable?  Am I looking at as much of an expenditure in adapters for the various weapons that it does not offset the cost of purchasing cans with specific weapons in mind?

Thanks,
Earl
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 3:48:38 AM EDT
[#1]
After mounts for all of them You will probably be close to the cost of 2 suppressors.

3 suppressors can cover everything you have. And will do a better job.

30 cal rifle
45 pistol
Rimfire

Read read and read. Once you've done that. Read some more. Educate yourself on different suppressors. Read specs. Watch videos. Find someone or a dealer that has suppressors that you can demo. Prioritize what you want out of the suppressor. Such as:
Noise reduction, weight, mount type, length, etc.

The hybrid can work but no one just buys one. YMMV. It's addicting as hell. See my sig line. Once you start. It's worse than BRD.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 7:18:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Agree with RA.

The 'All In One' should not be your first suppressor. Pick a two or three that will function great on the hosts that you have.

You don't want something that will be just ok over a range of guns. You want a suppressor that will be awesome on one or maybe two of your most favorite guns.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After mounts for all of them You will probably be close to the cost of 2 suppressors.

3 suppressors can cover everything you have. And will do a better job.

30 cal rifle
45 pistol
Rimfire

Read read and read. Once you've done that. Read some more. Educate yourself on different suppressors. Read specs. Watch videos. Find someone or a dealer that has suppressors that you can demo. Prioritize what you want out of the suppressor. Such as:
Noise reduction, weight, mount type, length, etc.

The hybrid can work but no one just buys one. YMMV. It's addicting as hell. See my sig line. Once you start. It's worse than BRD.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:02:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think the Hybrid would be a bad choice to start with. It is certainly the only can I'm aware of that can handle 45ACP and full power 308. It covers all of the firearms you listed but I would contact SilencerCo and find out if it is "dip" safe to remove lead buildup from the 10/22. If it is not safe to dip, I wouldn't lead it up with 22LR. Some people report success shooting centerfire rifle through it after rimfire to clean them out so that may be an option. Other than that if you ever do decide to add dedicated pistol or rifle cans you can purchase SilencerCo cans that share the same mounting components to minimize potential waste. Example: You could purchase an Omega or Specwar and use the ASR mounting system with them and your Hybrid. The same goes for the Osprey and Octane lines as the pistons are all shared with the Hybrid. The 3-lug mount is also shared so you could dedicate the Hybrid to pistol caliber carbine duty if you wanted. There are alot of options.

Now I say all of that as encouragement to get into the game, but I have purchased many more than I originally "planned". I have alot of cans and am still thinking about getting a Hybrid!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Agree with RA.

The 'All In One' should not be your first suppressor. Pick a two or three that will function great on the hosts that you have.

You don't want something that will be just ok over a range of guns. You want a suppressor that will be awesome on one or maybe two of your most favorite guns.

I went through this process last fall, back and forth, back and forth. I finally made a list of what guns I had RIGHT NOW that I would, or could suppress, and stopped thinking about "well what if I buy a..." when I did that, I settled on a jack of all trades, master of none, I went with a Liberty Mystic-X. I primarily wanted to suppress my 9mm and .22s, and have the ability to at least take some of the bark out of other stuff like my ARs. I also knew it wouldn't be my last, I purchased a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 direct thread as my .30 cal rifle/AR can, and a Regulator for my rimfires.

My Mystic just showed up yesterday, and I'm excited to go put it on everything I own that has a threaded barrel, while I'm waiting for the others to show up. I talked to a bunch of people that bought a dedicated can first, and they ALL said "well, I can't shoot my .22 through my .30 cal can" or "I wish I could shoot my AR suppressed, but I only have a rimfire can right now"

How about this analogy, if you didn't own any tools at all, would you rather have a really nice Phillips screwdriver, and no straights, or would you buy a 6 in 1 to get you going? YMMV. Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:28:57 AM EDT
[#6]
By the time you buy all the necessary accessories to make it work with all your host (with mediocre performance on some of them) it will not be worth it.

I would start with a .30 caliber suppressor and a user serviceable pistol suppressor, then you can pick up a dedicated rimfire can later

Rifle - Razor, Surge, or Sandman S/L

Pistol - Obsidian or Ghost-M

Rimfire - Mask

You will be a lot better off if you go this route
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's the minimalist approach as I see it to mount solutions for your hosts below:

Hybrid: $895

5/8X24 Direct Thread - Included $0
AR10
AK47 (I would have my AK re-threaded to this pattern but you can choose not to.)

1/2X28 Direct Thread - $110
AR15
Zenith Z-5P (They show to be provided with 1/2X28 threads as well as 3-lug.)
Ruger 10/22

M18 CZ Scorpion Adapter - $75
CZ Scorpion Evo

Octane Piston .572X28 - $70
Glock 21 (If you are purchasing an aftermarket barrel threaded to American specs.)
Springfield Armory 1911

Total Mount Costs:  $255

These prices were all obtained from Capitol Armory's website (my favorite place). I'm really not trying to play devil's advocate to any other responses here (I highly value Joshua's opinion and have discussed purchases with him many times) but the total cost figures may be slightly inflated. If you wanted to include a 5.56, 7.62, or 9mm bore front cap that would add another $75 each, but you don't have to have them. The main thing is to have fun and be excited about whatever you purchase!
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 11:46:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Might be worth your time:

Beginner's Guide
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:11:55 PM EDT
[#9]
That's a good price for that can.

I would not--and did not--consider it for .22 use.  Too many good cans for .22s available.

I bought my Hybrids to cover big bore and PCC--I just bought a second yesterday.  The Hybrid is similar in size to other good PCC cans, and meters quieter on 9mm than most.

To start with, you need to realize what mount system you want to be primarily attached to.  Then pick accordingly.  When I started in NFA last year, all the deals were on SicO cans, and that's primarily what I buy.  It works to have most of my cans using the same mounts.

Are you married to that certain dealer?  Are you open to online purchase?

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm an opponent of multi use cans - hybrid, Optimus, mystic X, etc so take what I say with a grain of salt.
You could get away with a .30 and a .45 that has SS baffles and shoot .22 through it.

I would not be happy with a jack of all trades and master of none but ymmv.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the replies.  You guys have given me a lot to think about.  I probably won't run one on the 22, didn't know that caused issues.  I may still get the Hybrid since it gives me some flexibility with my rifles - hell I've even been known to own a 45/70 from time to time..  I know I can get adapters on a 9mm can that I can use that on both the Scorpion and Zenith...but do they make a smaller pistol can that I can use on both these sub guns and my .45 Glock 21?  I know, there I go with my multi-purpose crap again :)
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#12]
I wouldn't worry too much about the "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" rap some like to put on the Hybrid.  If you do the research, and I did, (see the tables below), the Hybrid is very competitive with all the current "must have" suppressors.  In any case you can make the same argument for the Ghost, Obsidian and Surge "modular cans".  In the pistol category, no one has presented any hard data on the Ghost that I'm aware of.  So it's all hearsay at this point.
Full disclosure- I own Dead Air products and have a Ghost on order.  I do not own, nor have I ordered a Hybrid.  Yet.
Buy what makes you happy and what you can afford.

Sandman L  Sandman S  Surge   Hybrid
LGTH (in.)      8.9             6.8            9.0       7.8
WGHT(oz.)   21.8           17.3           21.5     13.8
DIA (in.)         1.5             1.50           1.50     1.565
5.56 (dB)      134.8          138.8       135.0     130.4
7.62 (dB   )   135.3          143.7       136.0     136.4
.300B(dB)     121.1          133.1       120.0     123.7

GhostM    Obsidian    Hybrid
LGTH (in.)      8.75          8.60          7.80
WGHT (oz.)  12.00        12.80        13.80
DIA (in.)         1.375        1.375        1.565
9mm (dB)        --          123.7        125.7
45 ACP (dB )   --         129.3         130.4
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:55:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I would get an Omega and Octane 45 if you wanted only two cans.   Maybe forget suppressing the AK-47 unless you are dead sure you have concentric threads.

Octane will be giant for a 22 but at least you can clean it easily.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:10:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wouldn't worry too much about the "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" rap some like to put on the Hybrid.  If you do the research, and I did, (see the tables below), the Hybrid is very competitive with all the current "must have" suppressors.  In any case you can make the same argument for the Ghost, Obsidian and Surge "modular cans".  In the pistol category, no one has presented any hard data on the Ghost that I'm aware of.  So it's all hearsay at this point.
Full disclosure- I own Dead Air products and have a Ghost on order.  I do not own, nor have I ordered a Hybrid.  Yet.
Buy what makes you happy and what you can afford.

Sandman L  Sandman S  Surge   Hybrid
LGTH (in.)      8.9             6.8            9.0       7.8
WGHT(oz.)   21.8           17.3           21.5     13.8
DIA (in.)         1.5             1.50           1.50     1.565
5.56 (dB)      134.8          138.8       135.0     130.4
7.62 (dB   )   135.3          143.7       136.0     136.4
.300B(dB)     121.1          133.1       120.0     123.7

GhostM    Obsidian    Hybrid
LGTH (in.)      8.75          8.60          7.80
WGHT (oz.)  12.00        12.80        13.80
DIA (in.)         1.375        1.375        1.565
9mm (dB)        --          123.7        125.7
45 ACP (dB )   --         129.3         130.4
View Quote

Thanks for the comparison. It's interesting to see how the Hybrid stacks up, despite that this is probably not the most scientific comparison (same day, same host, yadda yadda yadda, etc.). I've got a Hybrid in jail right now.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:33:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I think the hybrid is a perfect first can.  It will do all your hosts while you're saving for caliber specific cans.

I've shot a lot of 9mm and 45 through a hybrid, and a little 5.56.  It's a great can.  Mine ships today after a two month F3.  I am kicking myself for not sending my F4 sooner, but ill get to play with it at work whenever I want.

Get a .22 can and a hybrid and then worry about more later.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#16]
The do all cans are great for your first can as they can "entertain" you on just about everything to start. However, if you're like me (and most of us in this game) you'll end up buying more specific platform performers and end up rarely shooting the "do all" can.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 7:58:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Keep in mind not many people have seen the Hybrid in the wild.  Reviews & videos have all but dried up in the past few weeks.  IIRC, Capital Armory was working on a longer video but I haven't seen it.  

I impulse-bought a hybrid the day they came out and am still waiting on a stamp.  I don't think we will really know what it can/can't do until they start getting into peoples' hands.  We do know it is bigger/heavier than many other centerfire cans, but that is about it.

I'm slowly accumulating pistons & other fixtures as I wait.  They are interchangeable with other silencerco suppressors so there is no harm in it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:29:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The do all cans are great for your first can as they can "entertain" you on just about everything to start. However, if you're like me (and most of us in this game) you'll end up buying more specific platform performers and end up rarely shooting the "do all" can.
View Quote

This is good advice and I wish I had followed it.

I went the other route and got the 7.62 and 45 cans. Don't get me wrong, they are incredible cans, however, there are things I like and don't like and had I owned one can to compare others to so I could learn what I like and don't like on a do all can I might have.... well I'd have made the same decisions because they're awesome.

But a Hybrid for a first can to learn about them and figure out what you want and might not want in a suppressor is a great idea.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I shot my Mystic-X a few nights ago, on a few different guns. I didn't have my booster in hand, I do now, so I'll go shoot my Legion 226 one of these nights now.

On a .22 rifle, it did great. Heavier and longer than a dedicated rimfire can, but not objectionable at all. Probably not as quiet as a dedicated rimfire can, but did excellent in my opinion.

On my .300 Handi Rifle, it was giggle quiet. Literally. I shot it once with ear plugs in, and laughed and removed them.  Not as quiet as the .22, but easily my favorite of the day.

On my 16" AR, Meh. It took the big bang away of course, but it took it down to an unsuppressed .17hmr or .22 mag. I shot one round with no ears just to get a feel for it. It won't blow out your ear drums, but it's still loud. And you can't shoot fast, so I had to constantly remind myself to not run through the mag.

To sum up, I'm still very happy I got to try it on everything. It's merely a stop-gap AR can for me until my Thunderbeast shows up anyways, I bought it as a  .22/.300 blk./ 9mm can. I'll definitely use it on my rimfires and Handi rifle after my other cans show up. It won't get much AR use, I may put it on my .223 bolt gun though. 24" barrel would kill more noise. If Jonny Criminal busts in the door, I'm not going to worry about the rated fire rate on my AR/Mystic combo for now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top