Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2016 7:37:54 PM EDT
I know it's not the latest and greatest as far as pistol cans go but my FFL has one in stock, he also has several AAC cans but I seem to be drawn to the Octane more. Primary use will be on a CZ scorpion and other PCCs.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Like anyone here would tell you to NOT get an Octane
No Form 3 drama and fees and a solid can. If one of the new wonder-cans becomes available to you, that's just gravy assuming you have the cash.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Back pressure

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
What AAC cans?
Tirant > Octane
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:10:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I use an octaNE 9 on my scorpion and it is awesome. Quiet and no issues.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What AAC cans?
Tirant > Octane
View Quote

Pretty much this.

I prefer my tirant over my octane.  Quieter, lighter, less blowback.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What AAC cans?
Tirant > Octane
View Quote

Tirant 45 and 9S.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I wont, I have one and am waiting on the Form 3 on my 2nd one.  

MAHA
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:26:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Tirant 45 and 9S.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What AAC cans?
Tirant > Octane

Tirant 45 and 9S.

If they're both the same price i'd buy a tirant 45 before an octane 9
Ymmv
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Backpressure on the Octane is a bitch. You're running PCCs, go for it! Handguns are a no go for the Octane in my book.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Octane9 on my mp5 reverse stretch and 9mm AR is great to shoot. Solid can for PCC. I never understood the blowback complaint when shooting my Sig P226, then I got an M&P.......and I feel the blowback.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I would say not at all ...

This past weekend, I had an opportunity to get together with another ARFCOMer and we played with a CZ Scorpion EVO 3 S1, Sig MPX, POF MP5 and a 9mm AR along with an Octane 9 with GA 3-lug, Octane 9 with Silencerco 3-lug, Ti-Rant 9 and Mystic.

We also had a bunch of different ammo from Federal AE suppressor to 124 gr subsonic loads, 147 gr sub loads made with TiteGroup and 147 gr sub loads with VV N320. The handloads chronoed around the same velocity.

Honestly while there were differences with suppressors, ammunition selection made a HUGE difference in perceived volume. Even comparing the 147 gr sub loads, the N320 loads were a touch quieter than the TiteGroup loads.

We experienced no noticeable blowback/gas issues with our handloads through any of the suppressors.

It was an interesting experience. While we were originally there to compare the different PCCs, it became an impromptu test of different ammunition as well.

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:35:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Octane9 on my mp5 reverse stretch and 9mm AR is great to shoot. Solid can for PCC. I never understood the blowback complaint when shooting my Sig P226, then I got an M&P.......and I feel the blowback.
View Quote

Use a Glock with the Octane and you'll taste the blowback.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Strange, I shoot my G17, G34 and G21 and an Octane with no issues...

I don't know if it makes a difference that its an Octane 45, vs an Octane 9 though...
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don't know if it makes a difference that its an Octane 45, vs an Octane 9 though...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Octane .45 on a G22 for me. Never again. But I really don't like suppressed handguns anyway, so it's not a big deal.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:04:37 PM EDT
[#15]
I role with a g17 and octane 9.  Blowback doesn't bother me one bit, until I read about it her on ar15.com

Also shoot it with a 9mm AR 4" tros barrel.  No problem there either

also shoot it with a 300 blkout handyrifle . No problem with blowback either

Also shoot it with a 300 blkout 8" AR.  You can guess it - no problem with blowback

I really don't know what the world is coming to?  When the octane 9 was released there were no reviews where blowback was mentioned to be a problem and now a few years later the blowback has morphed into a game changer where the can isn't even recommended because the blow back is so severe?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I role with a g17 and octane 9.  Blowback doesn't bother me one bit, until I read about it her on ar15.com

Also shoot it with a 300 blkout 8" AR.  You can guess it - no problem with blowback

I really don't know what the world is coming to?  When the octane 9 was released there were no reviews where blowback was mentioned to be a problem and now a few years later the blowback has morphed into a game changer where the can isn't even recommended because the blow back is so severe?
View Quote
Its Arfcom, there is a new hot...  When that happens the old magically doesn't function the same anymore...

Link Posted: 4/18/2016 11:28:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

No shit, there's no blowback on your Handi Rifle? Tell me more.

I have an Octane and the backpressure was dangerous on my Glock. Shit was flying out of the gun and hitting me in the face with enough velocity that it was really uncomfortable and distracting. Eye protection was an absolute must.

Just because you haven't had the same experience that plenty of others have had doesn't mean the "world is coming to" anything.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:02:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Reason not to get an Octane 9?

Octane 45HD.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:02:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What AAC cans?
Tirant > Octane

Pretty much this.

Yeah.... I hate to admit it.  The Octane was my first can, but after getting a Tirant during the crazy blowout prices, I prefer it.  Noticeably quieter on my 4.5" SBR.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Octane 45K on my G21 produces no projectiles other than the one that is intended. Blowback is very minimal and the sound is more than acceptable for a K-can.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 3:10:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

<snip>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<snip>

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:10:40 AM EDT
[#22]
If the price is right, it's a solid can. It's just not the latest and greatest anymore.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:38:04 AM EDT
[#23]
How about this choice:
Octane 9 VS. Griffin Armament Revolution 45 for a PCC?

That's my morning dilemma.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#24]
If it's strictly for PCC - have you considered a dedicated 3 lug subgun can? Higher volume will reduce blow back and sound signature. Highly recommend Gemtech MK9K.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:52:22 AM EDT
[#25]
In stock anywhere for less than $700?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#26]
Mmm because I got a GM45 for less than $500 but its on backorder.

I would get the octane, I wanted a octane K but they did not come with pistons at my LE dealer so I went with surefire.  Now I am waiting on the fixed barrel thingy for my rifles.

The good thing of the octane its proven and has accesories instead of waiting for the company to release them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:52:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
How about this choice:
Octane 9 VS. Griffin Armament Revolution 45 for a PCC?

That's my morning dilemma.
View Quote

Subgun can
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:37:09 AM EDT
[#28]
What is a "K" can?
Thanks.

I have no issues using my octane 45hd on 9mm or my glock 45s

I have a griffin rev9 on order but after a month or more there are none in stock at SS so I think I will switch to a tirant 45 based on articles I've read.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:40:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is a "K" can?
Thanks.

I have no issues using my octane 45hd on 9mm or my glock 45s

I have a griffin rev9 on order but after a month or more there are none in stock at SS so I think I will switch to a tirant 45 based on articles I've read.
View Quote

K stands for Kurz in German which means 'short'. So a short can or MP5K (short MP5).
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Thanks.

Probably not as quiet, too, right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thanks.

Probably not as quiet, too, right?
View Quote

Correct
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:53:25 PM EDT
[#32]
No blowback issues with my Oct 9 when using either a Scorpion or G19.   Can is very quiet with the Scorpion and 147gr bullets.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Octane 9 isnt horrible. If you bought one, nobody would make fun of you. There are newer, improved options. If you like it and the price is right, go for it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Well I went a different direction entirely and bought a Surefire Ryder 9mm.

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Ozman2/media/FE749FFF-1EDB-4A6E-A849-0F25BCCFF01E_zps2lujjw71.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/Ozman2/FE749FFF-1EDB-4A6E-A849-0F25BCCFF01E_zps2lujjw71.jpg</a>
View Quote

With no aftermarket support? I do like the color though
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Slick looking can for sure.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:25:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s62.photobucket.com/user/Ozman2/media/FE749FFF-1EDB-4A6E-A849-0F25BCCFF01E_zps2lujjw71.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h103/Ozman2/FE749FFF-1EDB-4A6E-A849-0F25BCCFF01E_zps2lujjw71.jpg</a>

The Surefire certainly is an interesting choice for a PCC can. I don't think it would be my first pick for the application, but it'll probably get the job done.

Since you're going to have more complete powder burn in a longer PCC barrel, I'd rather have a short (and potentially, but not necessarily fatter) can for use on something like a Scorpion EVO. I'd also prioritize 3-lug compatibility, which is coming in a future (but different) Ryder.

The slim Ryder is better for pistols where it offers less sight obstruction and is lighter than most other full-length 9mm suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Surefire certainly is an interesting choice for a PCC can. I don't think it would be my first pick for the application, but it'll probably get the job done.

Since you're going to have more complete powder burn in a longer PCC barrel, I'd rather have a short (and potentially, but not necessarily fatter) can for use on something like a Scorpion EVO. I'd also prioritize 3-lug compatibility, which is coming in a future (but different) Ryder.

The slim Ryder is better for pistols where it offers less sight obstruction and is lighter than most other full-length 9mm suppressors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand its not really Ideal for a PCC but I decided to get something a little more pistol friendly as well, also I was very impressed by the construction of the Surefire and I got a decent deal on it. I may still buy the Octane but I felt this one needed to come home with me.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I understand its not really Ideal for a PCC but I decided to get something a little more pistol friendly as well, also I was very impressed by the construction of the Surefire and I got a decent deal on it. I may still buy the Octane but I felt this one needed to come home with me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It sounds like your head is in the right place then. I like the design of the Ryder (though I have yet to try one) for a dedicated pistol can.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
If the price is right, it's a solid can. It's just not the latest and greatest anymore.
View Quote

This is how i would approach it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 1:55:59 PM EDT
[#41]
I was an early adopter of the Octane 9. I got the first model, then sent it back to have it updated to HD2 specs with the CTA baffles. I have shot the piss out of this thing. Over the years it's gotten plenty of mileage on my MP5, SIG P239, Glock 19 and Browning Buckmark .22lr.

In my experience, most problems with blowback/backpressure are related to ammo, or more specifically, powder types. Your cheap 147 grain fodder from your favorite mass manufacturer is likely to sandblast your face when fired from a pistol. I had the worst luck with American Eagle, in fact that stuff caused me issues with all of my 9mm hosts.

I decided that I was tired of being held hostage by the availability of 9mm subs, so I started reloading my own. I control the bullet profile, powder type, etc. I also load it for roughly half the cost of factory subs. I shot a ton of 9mm each year, so for me it is very much worth the time and effort reloading subsonic loads.

The Octane is a super tough can. I like that I can throw the whole baffle stack and any other steel parts into an ultrasonic cleaner and emerge with a fresh, clean can within a short period of time. I like that it was always available with all the pistons and mounts I needed, whereas other manufacturers made us wait for YEARS just to produce a 3-lug mount. The Octane is backed by one of the best companies in the business and their Customer Service is impeccable.

Clearly, there are many new cans that borrow heavily from the Octane HD design. Some might meter a little better, and some might even have a little less blowback, but I'd have no qualms about buying an Octane given the robustness of the design and the business ethics of its manufacturer.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

In my experience, most problems with blowback/backpressure are related to ammo, or more specifically, powder types. Your cheap 147 grain fodder from your favorite mass manufacturer is likely to sandblast your face when fired from a pistol. I had the worst luck with American Eagle, in fact that stuff caused me issues with all of my 9mm hosts.

I decided that I was tired of being held hostage by the availability of 9mm subs, so I started reloading my own. I control the bullet profile, powder type, etc. I also load it for roughly half the cost of factory subs. I shot a ton of 9mm each year, so for me it is very much worth the time and effort reloading subsonic loads.

View Quote

I have come to this conclusion too. My pet 147 sub loads were done using Titegroup and I recently had a chance to shoot some 147s loaded with VV N320. Not a huge difference but it was noticeable and both loads were chronoing at around 950 fps.

It was enough of a difference than I'm definitely going to get some N320 and try it out myself for some more controlled testing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 8:01:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got my Octane 2 months ago and yet have to try it out on my S.Co barreled G-17.

Mmmmm sweet blowback, can't wait to taste it

ETA: My Octane and SpecWar are my first cans, I'm just psyched to have them. Blowback be damned.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top