Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Dead Air doesn't sell direct. Capitol Armory had a drop-down to make my piston selection.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just a heads up but they are not shipping with the flat end cap for "no-wipe" applications, they apparently decided to make you purchase that separately (despite alluding to that being apart of the total package).  So you won't find one included in the box when you go do your form 4.

Also, the pistons haven't been manufactured yet. Mine shipped from Capitol Armory without my selection. They indicated it would be shipped to me at a later date.

I emailed Dead Air direct and they stated no pistons are included in the purchase.

Dead Air doesn't sell direct. Capitol Armory had a drop-down to make my piston selection.

I think NFAreviews said that none are included but there you can get one for free from dead air. The idea was instead of including one that may or may not work with your gun, you can pick which one you need.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I can see by "creating" a wipe cap from the beginning that it could be construed as two being unnecessary, but there is nothing to modify to shoot "no wipe" in a wipe cap other than leaving the wipe itself out. Maybe I'm missing something here. I wouldn't be as perturbed if the can was designed so the wipe cap sat flush with the end of the can in both configurations. I gotta say that after i just paid $850, plus my $50 transfer fee, that is a lousy way to save a buck after implying on multiple SHOT videos that it was part of the can.  The flat cap wasn't touted as being available in different apertures, rather a wipe cap was added. Also, doesn't that change the OAL spec of the can that was listed on the Form 3? I'd bet a pack of wipes the listed spec is with the flat cap. Just sayin.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the flat cap, I have no idea.  It's not MAKING it need a wipe, the can is able to be shot without the wipe with that endcap.  If I had to guess, it was redundant to add in another piece that did the exact same thing, but was 1/8" or something shorter.  

I could see the annoyance with it not including a second end cap, but meh, not a huge deal.  As far as if you're annoyed about it not shipping with a piston, that's more of an issue to take up with your dealer rather than Dead Air.  (Since again, the MAP includes a piston.)

They modified the wipe cap so it can be used with or without the wipe, so two caps became unnecessary.

I can see by "creating" a wipe cap from the beginning that it could be construed as two being unnecessary, but there is nothing to modify to shoot "no wipe" in a wipe cap other than leaving the wipe itself out. Maybe I'm missing something here. I wouldn't be as perturbed if the can was designed so the wipe cap sat flush with the end of the can in both configurations. I gotta say that after i just paid $850, plus my $50 transfer fee, that is a lousy way to save a buck after implying on multiple SHOT videos that it was part of the can.  The flat cap wasn't touted as being available in different apertures, rather a wipe cap was added. Also, doesn't that change the OAL spec of the can that was listed on the Form 3? I'd bet a pack of wipes the listed spec is with the flat cap. Just sayin.....

This. I'm trying not to get too soured on the deal just yet, but it is definitely making me second guess my decision. When I bought my ghost I had the choice of it or the obsidian and went with the ghost due to build materials, weight and length of the different configurations, and the "extra" end cap which now I'm hearing it won't come with. If they want to change it from here on out that's one thing, but to change it on people that already purchased is pretty shitty.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They modified the wipe cap so it can be used with or without the wipe, so two caps became unnecessary.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
On the flat cap, I have no idea.  It's not MAKING it need a wipe, the can is able to be shot without the wipe with that endcap.  If I had to guess, it was redundant to add in another piece that did the exact same thing, but was 1/8" or something shorter.  

I could see the annoyance with it not including a second end cap, but meh, not a huge deal.  As far as if you're annoyed about it not shipping with a piston, that's more of an issue to take up with your dealer rather than Dead Air.  (Since again, the MAP includes a piston.)

A bit confused here, on the videos the "wipe cap" is longer than the non-wipe cap. So they are shipping only with the "longer-wipe-cap" modified to be shot with or without the wipe?
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like it will be a good product.  Small gripe, but I still would've preferred the module & its baffles were Ti & SS, respectively.  However, I get the cost & weight distribution goals/issues that probably drove the decision.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

One thing you can count on, Pappas doesn't design shit cans!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cans LITERALLY got into dealers hands very, very recently.  Getting numbers is a all day task... then putting them together and making it presentable is another issue.  Right now, with 41F, all dealers are insanely busy...

The can sounds absolutely fantastic though.

I had a chance to converse with Eric Rogers recently and he is an extremely impressive guy.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Any metered numbers on this can yet?
View Quote

IN AN EFFORT TO HELP THE OP OUT, ......AFTER 3 PAGES OF BS AND FLUFF,

STILL NO NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:35:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

STILL NO NUMBERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any metered numbers on this can yet?

I don't have numbers, but I have talked to 4 different reputable guys that frequent this forum and all but one has said that the Ghost is the can to beat right now. Some of these are people that have actually shot the Ghost side by side with other cans. I was told if the Ghost and can A,B,C or O were side by side to get the Ghost if the money wasn't an issue. Take that for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 2:05:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 5:14:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Mine arrived this past weekend to my dealer and form 4 went out Monday. I was in a rush so didn't even unbox it yet to look what came with it. I am going to need a 3 lug and 13.5x1mm LH for sig barrels.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
There hasn't been time, or parts for anyone to do numbers yet.  But yes, it sounds fantastic.
View Quote

the thread and this had me realize that Dead Air basically wanted to have the ability to sale "tubes" post shoot for the market share race & 41P rush. Which makes sense from a sales standpoint and as far as pistons and mounts what does it really matter as most forms will not be approved till late July - Early June.  

....it is like the Omega db fiasco but with no mounts all over again
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:20:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I am fine buying a registered tube now, and accessorizing later.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

While I'm not a Ghist buyer, I completely agree
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

do not get me wrong i want a tube too...i just wish someone had one for me to await accessorizing
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:25:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I've only had a chance to shoot the Ghost M at SHOT Show Range Day, which is so noisy that there is no reasonable way to judge a can. I coincidentally spent lunch with Todd Magee one day, and the way he described the Ghost design goals and process to get there was fascinating. One thing to keep in mind with all Dead Air cans is that they aren't chasing sound at the muzzle- they're working to optimize the shooter's experience, which includes both sound and the effects of back pressure. It's possible that the Ghost won't beat the Obsidian on numbers but still be a favorite with a lot of shooters.

That said, the Obsidian is definitely my favorite can I've shot so far. I love the sound, and I love the modularity even more so. I'll know more once my own Ghost M gets to me in a few weeks so I can shoot it without being surrounded by WWIII.

The 308 market is much deeper than I've been able to experience firsthand. There are many awesome cans in that caliber out there. Of the ones I've shot, I recommend the Surge for first time buyers because of the modularity and the Sandman-L for precision rifles because mine had such a big impact on my group size. I just shot the PRS match this weekend with a Bergara LRP Elite 6.5 CM and the Sandman L on the end, and the combo wowed people at every stage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TWANGANDBANG,  Since you have shot a lot of cans; what pistol suppressor impressed you the most? It seems the Dead Air Mask was your favorite rimfire one. What about 308 can?

I've only had a chance to shoot the Ghost M at SHOT Show Range Day, which is so noisy that there is no reasonable way to judge a can. I coincidentally spent lunch with Todd Magee one day, and the way he described the Ghost design goals and process to get there was fascinating. One thing to keep in mind with all Dead Air cans is that they aren't chasing sound at the muzzle- they're working to optimize the shooter's experience, which includes both sound and the effects of back pressure. It's possible that the Ghost won't beat the Obsidian on numbers but still be a favorite with a lot of shooters.

That said, the Obsidian is definitely my favorite can I've shot so far. I love the sound, and I love the modularity even more so. I'll know more once my own Ghost M gets to me in a few weeks so I can shoot it without being surrounded by WWIII.

The 308 market is much deeper than I've been able to experience firsthand. There are many awesome cans in that caliber out there. Of the ones I've shot, I recommend the Surge for first time buyers because of the modularity and the Sandman-L for precision rifles because mine had such a big impact on my group size. I just shot the PRS match this weekend with a Bergara LRP Elite 6.5 CM and the Sandman L on the end, and the combo wowed people at every stage.

Love your videos, can't wait for your review on the Ghost.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:30:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks for supporting the silencer community. There's nothing else like your videos out there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for all your support as well man. Hope the videos help you in some way!

Thanks for supporting the silencer community. There's nothing else like your videos out there.

I agree your videos are fantastic.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:05:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

do not get me wrong i want a tube too...i just wish someone had one for me to await accessorizing
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gamaliel has them in stock and have a 5% off coupon (see deals thread for the coupon).
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:32:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for the heads up! Order placed.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Gamaliel has them in stock and have a 5% off coupon (see deals thread for the coupon).
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:58:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Missed them, all sold out FML
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:25:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The cans LITERALLY got into dealers hands very, very recently.  Getting numbers is a all day task... then putting them together and making it presentable is another issue.  Right now, with 41F, all dealers are insanely busy...

I was at a gun fair in MN today and got to meet some of the Dead Air people, including one of the people who designed the SilencerCo Osprey, and even got to shoot the Ghost and the sandman.

The Ghost was so stupid quiet and impressive, I bought one on the spot. (I guess I'll get it sometime around September - December with the current backlog of people trying to beat the new rules.

The idea with the wipes... I have no idea how nobody has thought of this yet! After shooting it and screwing around talking over a span of minutes, he gave me five more rounds of 45, and there was a negligible FRP, then it went right back to stupidly quiet.

Got a massive pile of swag too including a tee shirt.

The Dead Air people are good people.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 8:39:13 PM EDT
[#20]
My guy says his dealer is supposed to have them at the end of this month so hopefully I'll  get it in before the deadline but with my luck I doubt it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:47:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I was at a gun fair in MN today and got to meet some of the Dead Air people, including one of the people who designed the SilencerCo Osprey, and even got to shoot the Ghost and the sandman.

The Ghost was so stupid quiet and impressive, I bought one on the spot. (I guess I'll get it sometime around September - December with the current backlog of people trying to beat the new rules.

The idea with the wipes... I have no idea how nobody has thought of this yet! After shooting it and screwing around talking over a span of minutes, he gave me five more rounds of 45, and there was a negligible FRP, then it went right back to stupidly quiet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I got to shoot the Ghost with Pappas at the NFA Review Channel Shoot today. AWESOME can! So glad I have one coming. The videos are great but it sounds even better in person. The Sandman S on the belt fed Shrike upper was pretty sweet too!
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for coming out man! Did you stay for the 500lb explosion at the end?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Thanks for coming out man! Did you stay for the 500lb explosion at the end?
View Quote

Of course. That was awesome! I brought my BIL trying to push him into the world of NFA. We both had a good time and he was impressed walking down the firing line with no ears and we could just stand there and talk to each other. He might be hooked. The 240 with the Razor and the Shrike with the Sandman S really impressed him also. I'm ready for the next one!

ETA: Thanks for all the hard work putting this together.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:23:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I got to touch my ghost on sat.  it's going to be a long six months.  of course that will give them time to release the pistons. it would be nice to get some kind of clarification regarding the end cap change
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I got to touch my ghost on sat.  it's going to be a long six months.  of course that will give them time to release the pistons. it would be nice to get some kind of clarification regarding the end cap change
View Quote

I asked Mike about the end cap change and he said that it was just too redundant. He said that the wipe end cap is just as quiet without wipes as the flat end cap and that it offered everything where the flat end cap basically offered nothing. This is all paraphrasing here of course. I know after actually seeing it in person with the wipe end cap and more importantly shooting it both with and without wipes, I am very much looking forward to having it in my possession.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#27]
My local dealer already had a form 3 on the way for a couple, I snagged one of them up, hopefully the form 3 clears before July.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My local dealer already had a form 3 on the way for a couple, I snagged one of them up, hopefully the form 3 clears before July.  
View Quote

My last form 3 submitted on 2/25 cleared in 49 days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:40:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I ordered one from Capitol Armory on January 19, and it didn't ship until April 4... about 75 days.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I ordered one from Capitol Armory on January 19, and it didn't ship until April 4... about 75 days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd be totally okay with a 75 day F3 right now
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:51:51 PM EDT
[#31]
I ordered something from Capitol Armory last week.  If it doesn't ship until July and takes 90 days, I'll be OK with it as long as I can file the form 4 before the deadline.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:56:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm glad to hear that.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:17:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I ordered something from Capitol Armory last week.  If it doesn't ship until July and takes 90 days, I'll be OK with it as long as I can file the form 4 before the deadline.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:25:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Form 4 arrived on Friday. Check cleared my bank on Tuesday. They sure don't waste any time collecting the money...
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:33:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Form 4 arrived on Friday. Check cleared my bank on Tuesday. They sure don't waste any time collecting the money...
View Quote

Oh no...they are as efficient as they can be on getting funds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:30:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Anybody know if the Ghost 3lug mount is going to be near flush when added or if it is adding length?

ETA: talked with DeadAir and the 3-Lug mount will recess internally and add no more than the piston's length would
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:56:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Any leads on where I can find one of these? I'm signed up for notifications from places with the option, just thought I'd ask.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bet Capitol had serial only. I believe the first batch was sent out around that week. The form 3 was likely approved before and they shipped it out the day they got it in.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Anybody know if the Ghost 3lug mount is going to be near flush when added or if it is adding length?

ETA: talked with DeadAir and the 3-Lug mount will recess internally and add no more than the piston's length would
View Quote

I asked the same and very happy about that. Will make it as short as the Omega 9K with 3-lug. Only thing is that they haven't started making the 3-lug yet so might be a while. The piston that was suppose to come with the can just shipped out this week. A few months later.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:48:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

The idea with the wipes... I have no idea how nobody has thought of this yet!
View Quote

Wipes have been around for a long time. Just haven't seen them on modern cans because baffles are much improved. With all these modular take apart cans it's easy to swap them. There will likely be more companies that add wipe options as an add-on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 4:25:42 PM EDT
[#41]
for those who said they have had their piston ship to them; are you getting it shipped from Dead Air or your seller. I saw on NFAREVIEW that it does not ship with a piston but it is included in the price? does this mean you call with your serial or register to Dead Air or what?
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
for those who said they have had their piston ship to them; are you getting it shipped from Dead Air or your seller. I saw on NFAREVIEW that it does not ship with a piston but it is included in the price? does this mean you call with your serial or register to Dead Air or what?
View Quote

I was told that it was up to dealers if they wanted to include the piston or not.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 10:39:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Shipped from dealer(Quiet Riot). It was listed as included when I purchased it. Just arrived today. Very well made and nice nitrided finish.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 2:16:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Shipped from dealer(Quiet Riot). It was listed as included when I purchased it. Just arrived today. Very well made and nice nitrided finish.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Same here.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:51:44 AM EDT
[#45]
Ghosts in stock at Captiol Armory.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:34:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep. Bought one this morning... Didn't get an In-stock email, but saw them late last night.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yep. Bought one this morning... Didn't get an In-stock email, but saw them late last night.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The first batch I checked their site at like 11am, and they were in stock so I ordered one.  Got the "in stock" notification I signed up for close to midnight that evening.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:39:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Anyone have experience with 22lr in the Ghost?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:31:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Have a 13x1LH piston in hand now. Glad they made a run before my Ghost stamp comes back. Now I just need Dead Air to crank out some 3-lug adaptors ASAP!
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:44:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted: Now I just need Dead Air to crank out some 3-lug adaptors ASAP!
View Quote

No cross compatible products?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top