Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/9/2016 2:51:28 AM EDT
I may put a can on my FNAR as a dedicated host.  If I do, I know one day I'll likely get a bigger bolt gun to share the load.

I have an YHM ULT and love it, but it maxes at 308 and is not supposed to be very quiet on anything bigger than 6.8spc.

$855 Omega weighs 14oz, comes with like 4 mounts included, and is advertised as "most quiet" or whatever.

$575 Harvester weights 11oz, comes with NO MOUNTS (+$90) and shows as more decibels, yet it has more volume.

I am open to direct thread cans if you have suggestions.  This wil be hunting/precision rigs only.  No blasters.  I have the ULT for that.

for me weight is most important, then noise and length.

I honestly don't see why the Omega is so much better than the Harvester unless its something to do with full auto rating or something..
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#1]
get what you want, or whatever man
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Omega with Ti front and rear is like 12oz
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
The tone is deeper on the Omega.  I have both (Harvester and Omega) and prefer the Omega for hunting on ARs.  I think the Harvester sounds better on bolt guns.  The weight is very similar in the direct thread attachment.

I would go with the Omega unless you are wanting to save as much weight as possible.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:24:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Have both as well. The Omega is a newer can and has more modularity built into it and can serve both as a hunting can as well as something you can blast with. The Harvester is dedicated hunting can - mirage gets pretty bad after a few shots and the smooth anodized surface isn't real grippy when using mirage covers.

Price is a wash - the Omega comes with an ASR module ($125), the direct thread mount and two (if they are still giving away one when registering) muzzle devices.

For a hunting can, you can't go wrong with either. The Omega gives you the benefit of serving as something more than just a hunting can.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I hunt with the Harvester 30 but voted for the Omega. I purchased the Harvester 30 prior to the Omega being released but I don't feel the slight weight penalty of the Omega outweighs the increased durability and modularity it provides. All that being said I currently have two Thunder Beast Ultra 9s in jail!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
If Weight is most important, then get the Harvester.  I have both an Omega and a Harvester, and just ordered a second Harvester for hunting.  Yes, the Omega is more versatile, and if you are swapping things around, then it is definitely better.  However as purely a dedicated hunting suppressor, I like the Harvester better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If Weight is most important, then get the Harvester.  I have both an Omega and a Harvester, and just ordered a second Harvester for hunting.  Yes, the Omega is more versatile, and if you are swapping things around, then it is definitely better.  However as purely a dedicated hunting suppressor, I like the Harvester better.
View Quote

I don't think you could go wrong with either, but this would be my suggestion as well.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:31:19 PM EDT
[#8]
The omega would be a wonderful compromise if you ever wanted to throw it on an AR, but if it's strictly going to be bolt gun use only and weight is the too priority than I think the Harvester is what you seek. However, when in doubt, get both
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I have both in jail. Harvester is going on a .223 bolt and the Omega is going on a 300 wsm bolt and will be direct thread with flat cap.

The 300 will have the barrel cut to 20" so I have the shortest practical length (Elk rifle). Harvester isn't rated for 20" magnums.

I voted Omega due to better versatility, stronger, shorter, and it doesn't weigh much more.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 4:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The omega would be a wonderful compromise if you ever wanted to throw it on an AR, but if it's strictly going to be bolt gun use only and weight is the too priority than I think the Harvester is what you seek. However, when in doubt, get both
View Quote

In direct thread format with Ti front and rears, the omega is within 1/2oz
It's much more versatile and significantly shorter too
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At that point, it will also be twice the cost once you add in the Titanium.  You are also removing the benefit of the built in Brake.  Granted in the field, you won't notice the recoil, but while practicing I believe the brake will help most people in shot placement and repeatability by reducing the recoil.  This might not matter as much on something less than a 308, but 308 and above, I think the brake is definitely worth having
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:23:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

At that point, it will also be twice the cost once you add in the Titanium.  You are also removing the benefit of the built in Brake.  Granted in the field, you won't notice the recoil, but while practicing I believe the brake will help most people in shot placement and repeatability by reducing the recoil.  This might not matter as much on something less than a 308, but 308 and above, I think the brake is definitely worth having
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell the Omega ASR, sell the omega FH, sell the omega Brake. That's $225 in recouped cost at least.
It's not a clear cut winner but there are serious advantages to going with an Omega and I'm by no means an omega fanboi
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:42:34 PM EDT
[#13]
I played with both and ended up with two Harvesters. They will live on lightweight hunting rifles. I have other suppressors for AR's and whatnot.  Cant really go wrong with either of your choices.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#14]
My main hunting rifle is a 10.5" 300blk sbr . I had to use my heavy ass specwar on it because my harvester isn't rated for supers in that barrel length . I'm wishing I had an omega now
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I went with a griffin sportsmen tm over the harvester since it comes with one mount and has qd mounts. Planning on using them on a 308 and 556 ARs
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:13:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I went with a griffin sportsmen tm over the harvester since it comes with one mount and has qd mounts. Planning on using them on a 308 and 556 ARs
View Quote

Maybe the Gemtech tracker will force a price war in this category. I'd be down for a $399 hunting can
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:21:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe the Gemtech tracker will force a price war in this category. I'd be down for a $399 hunting can
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not at $600  Msrp. Maybe if they included 2 mounts or thread inserts. More competition is better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top