Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2016 11:51:48 PM EDT
I have an Octane 45 that I waiting for approval and am getting a couple of pistols ready for it.  

Tornado Technologies is sending me a new barrel for my Beretta 92FS and I pick up a threaded barrel for my Sig p220 from Brownells.  I assumed the Sig would be a drop in barrel but when I went to install the barrel, the slide gets hung up about the last 1/4".  I believe the feed ramp on the new barrel is contacting the frame which is preventing me from installing the barrel.  

I called Sig today and all they would say was they had not heard of the problem and to take the pistol to a gunsmith.  So now I am $200 into the barrel and now have to find a gunsmith to see if they can fix it.  Does anyone know of a good gunsmith for Sig pistols?  Has anyone else had this problem?  The sig is a newer one with a serial number G 526 XXX.  

I really want to suppress this pistol and am really disappointed that the barrel was not drop in ready.  

Thanks in advance for any help.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:10:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Tornado Technologies (or any competent gunsmith) needs to fit the 220 barrel to the slide.

I had the same exact issue with a Storm Lake 220 barrel. Chad at Storm Lake sent me a shipping label for the barrel and slide. Had my barrel back after a few days and everything fit perfect. Kudos to Storm Lake customer service!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:20:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Even factory barrels sometimes need fitting. If you've got some mechanical inclinations, some jewelers files, and digital calipers, doing it yourself is usually pretty manageable. I've done a factory Beretta M9 barrel fitting and I've also fit a Storm Lake "drop in" 1911 barrel that needed to have its hood shortened by around 2 thousandths of an inch. In this case, you could use your current barrel as a template for the new one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:52:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tornado Technologies (or any competent gunsmith) needs to fit the 220 barrel to the slide.

I had the same exact issue with a Storm Lake 220 barrel. Chad at Storm Lake sent me a shipping label for the barrel and slide. Had my barrel back after a few days and everything fit perfect. Kudos to Storm Lake customer service!
View Quote

Was there an extra charge for the fitting?  I need to get a threaded 220 barrel sometime.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:39:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Storm Lake did not charge me.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:08:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Had the exact same thing happen to me, but Sig offered to fit it free of charge and sent me a shipping label to return the gun and barrel for fitting.  They told me I needed to pay for the shipping, when I pushed back they discounted the shipping down to $25-30.00 can't remember the exact figure.  This was just a couple of months ago, you should call them back.  It's a common issue with their P220 barrels.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:45:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Same issues here and it was a factory barrel.. It required a very tiny amount to make it fit.

But it's tight and very accurate.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the same problem, the factory threaded barrel did not fit my slide.

My 220 is also my carry gun.  When I got my Osprey 45, I got another slide/barrel assembly and had a factory threaded barrel fitted and put the taller suppressor sights on it.  This way I have a dedicated threaded "upper", and another non threaded slide/barrel.  Works pretty good that way, but not the cheapest way to go.  
The big pain is the pistol gets dirty enough shooting suppressed that I have to really clean it before I carry it again, so I think at some point I'm just going to get a factory set up threaded .45  pistol and that will use the Osprey.  

Just not sure what to get yet....
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the same problem, the factory threaded barrel did not fit my slide.

My 220 is also my carry gun.  When I got my Osprey 45, I got another slide/barrel assembly and had a factory threaded barrel fitted and put the taller suppressor sights on it.  This way I have a dedicated threaded "upper", and another non threaded slide/barrel.  Works pretty good that way, but not the cheapest way to go.  
The big pain is the pistol gets dirty enough shooting suppressed that I have to really clean it before I carry it again, so I think at some point I'm just going to get a factory set up threaded .45  pistol and that will use the Osprey.  

Just not sure what to get yet....
View Quote

Do you like the tall suppressor sights on the pistol?

I called Sig Sauer again today and decided to send the pistol in for threaded barrel fitting.  I did not know about the taller suppressor night sights until today and decided to have them installed while Sig has the pistol.  
Since I am paying for shipping already,  I decided to send a p225 in also.  It is getting the Sig service package and will come back wearing night sights.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top