Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/8/2016 8:42:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:16:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
https://youtu.be/2vPfOMCZusA

Silencer Shop released their sound meter test data for of the Griffin Armament Optimus sound suppressor.   We appreciate their work in putting it into some configs to give people a little insight into how it works in some of the applications and configs possible.
View Quote

Mother of pearl, it even got good numbers.  Hopefully someone gets these in stock soon!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I want Tyler's job.  He gets to have fun and work!  

Nice video, looks good for those who want a do all.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:13:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Noice. It's going to suck having to wait 6 months for my optimus to get out of jail.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Mother of pearl, it even got good numbers.  Hopefully someone gets these in stock soon!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Silencer Shop released their sound meter test data for of the Griffin Armament Optimus sound suppressor.   We appreciate their work in putting it into some configs to give people a little insight into how it works in some of the applications and configs possible.

I've hinted at the numbers here a few times the past couple weeks. If I hadn't tried the can before they were shared with me, I would have had a tough time believing them. If you're willing to accept a little extra length over a caliber specific can, the Optimus will work very well.

Seeing is definitely believing, but Silencer Shop's test is no fluke.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:45:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:29:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Sold. Let the wait begin.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:41:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It was really a nice performing can across calibers.   During development we were impressed by that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've hinted at the numbers here a couple of times the past couple weeks. If I hadn't tried the can before they were shared with me, I would have had a tough time believing them. If you're willing to accept a little extra length over a caliber specific can, the Optimus will work very well.

Seeing is definitely believing, but Silencer Shop's test is no fluke.

It was really a nice performing can across calibers.   During development we were impressed by that.

What meter do you guys use to test silencers at the factory?

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:10:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 6:53:41 PM EDT
[#10]
what effect would moving the meter to the end of the silencer have on the numbers?

seems like having it at the muzzle and then again where the muzzle/silencer meet would make the naked numbers highest and suppressed lowest.

Is there a standard all tests are done to? I don't think there is but was wondering. I'm not trying to crap on the numbers at all, but was wondering if theres a testing standard all the companies use.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:55:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:51:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I haven't tested to see what the effect of using mil-std vs the Silencer Co / ASA proposed method is.

Mil-std is how we have tested and how we do R&D and testing- that samples 1M left of the muzzle of the unsuppressed barrel, and 1M left of the muzzle of the suppressor.  Silencer Co working with the ASA introduced the muzzle of the rifle both suppressed and unsuppressed method and Silencer Shop adopted it on their request as far as I know.  So all Silencer Shop testing as far as I know is done that way and has been since the Omega was tested in ~february 2015.   For example the second to last 762 can tested- the Rugged Razor hovered around 144DB in Silencer Shop testing, that is using the same testing Silencer Co / ASA standard they used here to test the Optimus. What my point is- is that there are several datapoints for comparison using the new testing method Silencer Shop is using- so when you mention that method, it wasn't integrated for the Optimus and we had nothing to do with that being used.

Whenever people talk about standards there are as many opinions as minds weighing on the subject, and we use Mil-std simply because it is what Gemtech, AAC, Surefire, KAC, and other industry companies use and have used for decades, but I feel what is most important is that performance comparisons are conducted using the same testing standard.  So silencer shop data compared to other silencer shop data is as scientific as anything else as far as we are concerned.   By the same token our testing for product performance ratings should be very comparable to Gemtech or AAC testing, as long as that was done to mil-std which most of it is.  When I say most the major exception is disclaimed testing using the shooters ear location which most companies do on occasion- an example being .338LM or 50BMG testing- applications where the major concern is that the shooters ear location be ear safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what effect would moving the meter to the end of the silencer have on the numbers?

seems like having it at the muzzle and then again where the muzzle/silencer meet would make the naked numbers highest and suppressed lowest.

Is there a standard all tests are done to? I don't think there is but was wondering. I'm not trying to crap on the numbers at all, but was wondering if theres a testing standard all the companies use.

I haven't tested to see what the effect of using mil-std vs the Silencer Co / ASA proposed method is.

Mil-std is how we have tested and how we do R&D and testing- that samples 1M left of the muzzle of the unsuppressed barrel, and 1M left of the muzzle of the suppressor.  Silencer Co working with the ASA introduced the muzzle of the rifle both suppressed and unsuppressed method and Silencer Shop adopted it on their request as far as I know.  So all Silencer Shop testing as far as I know is done that way and has been since the Omega was tested in ~february 2015.   For example the second to last 762 can tested- the Rugged Razor hovered around 144DB in Silencer Shop testing, that is using the same testing Silencer Co / ASA standard they used here to test the Optimus. What my point is- is that there are several datapoints for comparison using the new testing method Silencer Shop is using- so when you mention that method, it wasn't integrated for the Optimus and we had nothing to do with that being used.

Whenever people talk about standards there are as many opinions as minds weighing on the subject, and we use Mil-std simply because it is what Gemtech, AAC, Surefire, KAC, and other industry companies use and have used for decades, but I feel what is most important is that performance comparisons are conducted using the same testing standard.  So silencer shop data compared to other silencer shop data is as scientific as anything else as far as we are concerned.   By the same token our testing for product performance ratings should be very comparable to Gemtech or AAC testing, as long as that was done to mil-std which most of it is.  When I say most the major exception is disclaimed testing using the shooters ear location which most companies do on occasion- an example being .338LM or 50BMG testing- applications where the major concern is that the shooters ear location be ear safe.

You are doing it right, suppressor muzzle and rifle muzzle.

This is how all the reputable suppressor companies test their products, when doing 1 m side of the muzzle tests.

I would however also emphazise that the U.S MIL-STD specifies the shooters ear location as the primary one and the 1 m to the side is a combination of the two additional reference locations.

This is actually also a rather current topic here, as one of the reputable independent testers of suppressors in Finland has been doing his latest tests the Suppressor Shop way.

Here is a quick shot of how it effects results ( our SL5 easily being the shortest/smallest suppressor, longer suppressors understandable benefit more from this )

Meter B&K 2209 with a B&K 4136 mic

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#14]
thanks for the testing info. ive never been much of a dB chaser, but its good to see there is some consistency in testing. good video and looking for one of the sportsmen. just ordered one
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks for the info. The optimus is definitely on my list of cans to buy
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Just bought one. I need it. Best investment ever
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 5:41:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 7:48:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The comparison test of the Mil-STD to ASA methods was interesting.  Thanks for the post Tuuka.
View Quote

Yes and 3 dbs is a big difference IMO.  

I really don't see why you wouldn't test at the muzzle end of the suppressor.  It makes more sense doesn't it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:38:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:10:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The argument that some manufacturers use is that the muzzle of the gun doesn't change when you add a silencer. Therefore the location of the meter doesn't change. Not saying it's right or wrong but if everything is tested at the same location then you can compare apples to apples.
View Quote

That just doesn't make good sense.  If you want apples to apples, you need to be testing from a repeatable distance....FROM THE SOURCE OF THE WAVE.  While it might fool some to test from "the same location", every time......it doesn't take a lot of high level thinking to see this is bogus.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:17:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I agree with you. However if some manufacturers are testing at the end of the silencer and others are not then it is not a fair comparison. So we chose to test everyone at the same location so that you can tell how they compare to each other.
View Quote

I'm confused.  Do you mean so that we can see how they compare based on the numbers the manufacturers are putting out themselves?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 8:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]
With regards to testing in front of or slightly behind the source, the question is whether the sound wave propagation is the same directly to the side of the source or slightly behind it. The distance is greater (think hypotenuse of a right triangle) but the increase is probably inconsequential.

My bigger concern is with the B&K2270 meter that Silencer Shop uses. The meter has a sampling rate of 48 kHz while MIL-STD-1474D calls out digital recording/sampling rates of 160 kHz in 5.3.1.2.2 and MIL-STD-1474E calls out a sampling rate for impulse noise of 192 kHz in 4.7.5.2. The issue with undersampling the analog noise signal is that you may miss the peak of the gunshot.

Here's an excerpt of a paper which shows that meters which have inadequate sampling rates can often produce erroneous results. The Larson Davis 831 they cite in the paper has a sampling rate of 51.2 kHz.

So I think there is much to flesh out regarding a unified standard for testing suppressors, but the equipment needs to meet MIL-STD specifications first.

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 1:05:19 AM EDT
[#27]
Put in my order today
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 10:58:53 PM EDT
[#29]
This is kind of unrelated, but is it possible to use the Optimus in the mid or full size configuration on a 9MM carbine? Looking to add a very short 9mm ar upper at some point and thought it would be nice if I could get some type of taper mount muzzle device or somehow use the direct thread taper mount adapter to work with a 1/2-36 threaded 9mm barrel to get a little better sound reduction.

Looking to place an order with Silencer Shop within the week.
Link Posted: 2/22/2016 11:49:55 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I think it is probably important to understand the way mil-std ~10-20microsecond rise time, compares to ~30microsecond rise metering (something we might take a look at in the future by conducting some testing to help people understand the likely influence of differential rise time between these two types of systems).  
However; I don't think dropping to minimum theoretical rise time would do anything more than add another standard, further increasing the in-comparability of results on the market which would then vary by a factor of 9 from ~3-~30micro seconds where currently the comparability is only influenced by a factor of 2 from ~15-~30.  I believe the fastest available systems (which are not portable) have ~3-4 microsecond peak system rise time limitations and all that faster equipment is not really portable or affordable for industry companies, so that data is important to consider.  
So in my opinion as someone who has followed sound testing from the late 90's to present time, portable meters with mil-std, or with ~30microsecond peak rise time should be used for suppressor testing.  This limits testing to 2 older meters, and as far as I know 2 modern portable meters- both from Larson Davis and Bruel & Kjaer respectively.  Whenever testing is conducted, the meter used should be specified, so that people know which peak rise time approximately they are looking at.  
Hearing risk is rated based on time and SPL, so metering the absolute crests of peaks at nearly zero duration in time is probably not going to yield an accurate assessment of overall hearing risk.  I see the obvious reasons to meter very near to peak amplitude, but at the same time I also see reasons not to meter unrealistically short representations of peak sound for the purpose of a hearing damage risk assessment- that one number value used to represent a waveform of varying amplitude and duration.  For example, if we meter [completely hypothetically] 4DB louder at 1/3 or 1/4 the time of mil-std, does that mean that the SPL occurring in 1/4 of the already very short duration in time is more significant? I would say no.  Mil-std to ~30microsecond peak rise would be ~ twice the duration of sound- a little less substantial to the effect that my engineering hypothesis would be that ~20microseconds (where the military scientists wanted to be) is probably ideal for conducting this type of testing.  B&K 2209's sample at ~16microseconds and that is very near to that. My experience with cans metered on the 2209 is that cans ear metering at 140 do seem to be borderline dangerous to my ears (an unscientific perception), so I feel the mil-std A weighted results fairly closely parallel the OSHA risk limit for practical purposes.  This is supported by the fact that C weighted firearms impulse noise (what the OSHA scale is based on) is fairly close to A weighting of the same, and also by the fact that OSHA impulse noise is considered to be duration of less than 50 microseconds- in other words it was probably built around ~30microsecond equipment (what is more commonly available) running C weighting, so Mil-std A weighted at ~16microseconds is actually probably less lenient than the OSHA std for impulse noise.  The people arguing for faster sampling or different weighting are disregarding the fact that a new hearing risk scale would be required to interpret data taken with faster equipment.  That doesn't exist of course, so they are in essence arguing for a move to data that has no ability to be interpreted- like a new measuring system combining inch and metric that no one is familiar with.    Confusion would be the result of such a move.
Anything you find on this topic will be an opinion piece, because even the scientists are talking about analytical data, and then interpreting the results which is where their opinion comes into the argument.  What is not opinion but rather fact, is that over 2 decades of data at a ~20 microsecond standard exists, and that very recently, some industry motion to ~30 microsecond systems has occurred.
View Quote

So I think we're talking about two different things  -  you're talking about rise time, which is related to the bandwidth of the input signal. A 30 microsecond rise time is a bandwidth of 11.6 kHz and a 20 microsecond rise time is a bandwidth of 17.5 kHz. Since the human auditory range is 20-20 kHz, a rise time of 20 microseconds or better would, for all intents and purposes, capture that range. Not sure if you guys do any analog signal conditioning/filtering before sampling.

Sampling rate, which I was referring to above, is the rate at which the samples are being acquired by the A-to-D converter. The best diagram I can find to illustrate this is from NI:

(but imagine the decay of the signal to be much faster so that the third sample on the left graph (representing a slow sample rate) would capture a value less than the peak)

So in addition to having the rise time necessary to capture the highest frequency of interest, Samples need to be acquired quickly enough so that the peak of the signal can be captured. If the sampling rate is too slow, then the peak of the gunshot can be missed.

My hope is to see people using equipment that properly captures the data with regards to the frequency range and time-scale of the signal. Then we can argue about all the other confounding factors like test conditions, hosts, ammunition, etc.

Then there's Interpretation of the data - which is a whole other matter.

Unfortunately, most people have misrepresented/mis-processed data, such as linear averaging of logarithmic data, averaging all sound data together when there is such a phenomena as first round pop/etc.

I agree that interpreting a single dB value as a characterization of performance is not the way to go, but the industry seems to have settled on it.

I would love to see a waterfall spectral plot (frequency vs. amplitude vs. time) which would really go a long way to providing insight as to the tonal qualities of a suppressor.

Then again, people seem happy with subjective descriptions and not objective data - so I'm not sure the time and equipment required to obtain all this data is worth it.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Has anyone used the Optimus a2 mount?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:37:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:56:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Probably few if any.  We are selling them.  I've used it.  It works and adds functionality to the Optimus for end users who have A2 mounts or who own our A2 length or flash comp mounts and want to run a can some of the time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Has anyone used the Optimus a2 mount?

Probably few if any.  We are selling them.  I've used it.  It works and adds functionality to the Optimus for end users who have A2 mounts or who own our A2 length or flash comp mounts and want to run a can some of the time.

I had thought of getting it since I'd say probably 10 of my rifles still have it and majority of my close friends and family have a2's. Was just curious about how tight lock up and the seal was.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I looked at the manual for the B&K 2270 and that suggested the sampling rate of the B&K 2270 used by Silencer Shop is 20.1 microseconds [48KHZ], but the impulse peak is based on a 35 microsecond constant.  I couldn't find the data for sampling speed of the 2209 in A weighting but it appears to be equal or faster because the minor discrepancies in data trend toward the 2209 hearing a noise as louder - as far as I know only having sent products to be tested.  We haven't tested products on the same day in the same location with both meters so I can't be any more accurate than that.
Again rather than ask for unrealistic specs that most industry grade equipment is not capable of, the 20-30 microsecond arena I would consider ideal.  If anything needs to be done, it would be to revisit OSHA's risk level and develop risk limit parameters built for ~25 microseconds rather than 50 where it is.   This might for example move the 140DB limit to 143, which would probably soften the arguments that people have made that A weighting and mil-std are inadequate because the shorter duration of measurement would have to raise the risk limit because the 50 microsecond data used to develop the 140DB C weighted limit was probably substantially clipped.
View Quote

The 20.1 microseconds is related to the sampling rate. 48 kHz is 48,000 samples per second. If you take the inverse of the sampling rate (1/Sampling Rate = 1/48,000 = 0.00002083 = 20.83 microseconds per sample. That is different than the rise time spec, which relates to the bandwidth (frequency range) of the input signal that the system can handle.

A basic block diagram of instrumentation designed to measure "something" is:

(1) a transducer which converts the physical phenomenon, in this case, sound pressure, into an electrical signal.
(2) the signal is then conditioned - where filtering to band limit the signal and amplification occurs.
(3) then, in the case of the digital noise meter, the signal is digitized. This is where all those specs like rise time, sampling rate, resolution etc. are important.
(4) then the signal is processed - in this case the meter does the conversions/calculations and spits out a decibel rating.

What I am talking about relates to step 3. We haven't even discussed converting the signal to dB and what sort of weighting is applied to the measurement.

I don't believe I'm asking for an unrealistic equipment specifications. This stuff is all outlined in MIL-STD-1474D, which everybody is claiming they test to. Here's an excerpt of the relevant portion of the spec:

Section 5.3.1.1.5 calls out a rise time of not more than 20 microseconds - and 20 microseconds translates to a bandwidth of 17.5 kHz.

Section 5.3.1.2.2 calls out a minimum sampling rate of 160 kHz or 160,000 samples per second or 6.25 microseconds per sample (compared to the 20.1 microseconds per sample above when the sample rate is 48 kHz).

If people are testing to the MIl-STD-1474D standard, they NEED to use equipment that meets those specifications. This isn't an unreasonable request. MIL-STD-1474E is even more demanding on the sample rate.

Link Posted: 2/24/2016 11:58:30 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 12:31:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I would like to compare the B&K 2209 to the 2270 and Larson davis 831 to see how the numbers compared, and what the influence of ~30 microsecond rise time was, but that is as far as my interest goes.  I don't want to change the standard that I've seen as easily used and understood by consumers researching products for ~20 years.

As a company we realize engineers ultimately need efficient and reliable testing equipment, and often have to test off site, so portable equipment needs to be used for that.  In that respect I wouldn't fault a company for running a Larson Davis 831 if they couldn't find a 2209.  It doesn't help a company or an industry to force testing equipment on engineers that is so time consuming to set up that it reduces the frequency of testing in product development.   As time passes there will be less and less access to the old analog meters that are considered 1474-D compliant.
View Quote

I understand where you are coming from. It'd be interesting to see your results. My thoughts are that you will see more "erratic" data as the lower sampling rate hits/misses the peak but I would like to have data to confirm that hypothesis.

I think the issue for me is having people understand the limitations of the equipment being used. Most people accept that the $25 noise meter they buy at the Val-U-Electronics Shop isn't suitable for testing impulse noise. But harder to understand that the $2000 impulse noise meter still falls slightly short of the standard and that if you can accept a confidence interval of +/- 6dB then by all means, go ahead and use it.

My industry focuses on noise standards mainly from IEC60601-1. The money we spend on maintaining test equipment and sending out equipment annually for calibration and certification is insane. But we have to cross all our t's and dot all our i's or else the government gets very unhappy with us.

This was an interesting discussion. And now back to the regularly scheduled Optimus show.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 12:03:50 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The 2209 is very accurate.  We can meter the same can twice with accuracy of a couple tenths of a DB (same day/platform/ammo)- and that shows consistency of the 10round testing method as well as the meter.  We can use the system to recognize performance gains in R&D as small as 1DB.   All the systems discussed are class 1.  

I'm not sure how bad the meter would have to be to see +-6DB but my guess is all the discussed systems would be more accurate than that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: But harder to understand that the $2000 impulse noise meter still falls slightly short of the standard and that if you can accept a confidence interval of +/- 6dB then by all means, go ahead and use it.

The 2209 is very accurate.  We can meter the same can twice with accuracy of a couple tenths of a DB (same day/platform/ammo)- and that shows consistency of the 10round testing method as well as the meter.  We can use the system to recognize performance gains in R&D as small as 1DB.   All the systems discussed are class 1.  

I'm not sure how bad the meter would have to be to see +-6DB but my guess is all the discussed systems would be more accurate than that.

So this illustration is a gross oversimplification of understampling but I think it gets the point across. You have a free running data acquisition system that isn't gated. So it's humming along, happily picking up one sample every 20.1 micoseconds (48 kHz sampling rate) and another data acquisition system that's picking up one sample every 6 microseconds  (160 kHz sampling rate). For the sake of making everything nice and round, we'll say the red dot represents the slow sampling rate (48 kHz) while the blue dot represents the fast sampling rate (160 kHz). Keep in mind that whenever you see a red dot, there's also a blue dot at the same time point.

So on the first shot, both the slow and fast sampling happen to hit the peak and we get the peak signal.

On the second shot, the fast sampling hits the peak again while the slow sampling misses the peak and gets something less than the peak signal.

On the third shot, the fast sampling again hits the peak and the slow sampling again get something less than the peak signal.

This is the issue with undersampling - not acquiring enough data points in a given time. This is where the 6 dB or less that the paper I cited above talks about when you acquire the data at an insufficient sampling rate. The B&K 2270 acquires at a rate of 48 kHz while MIL-STD-1474D requires 160 kHz and MIL-STD-1474E increases the minimum sampling rate to 192 kHz:

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nerds.
View Quote

ya, holy cow!
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Mil-std 1474-E has never been used as a silencer industry standard test.   They could have made the number 1500KHZ, it wouldn't have any validity in my discussion as a consumer market silencer company representative.  It is not uncommon for the government to ask for things that have no logical basis in reality.  That doesn't mean the private sector has to pay attention or pretend like they made intelligent decisions.  There is not one portable meter on the market capable of satisfying 1474-E.  If someone working a hired job wrote that specification, his boss would laugh him out of the office.
View Quote

Agreed. But it was to make the point that the latest revision of the specification did not relax the sampling rate. They didn't say to themselves "Yeah, 160 kHz was totally absurd." And even if 1474-E doesn't apply to the suppressor industry, 1474-D still defines 160 kHz as the minimum sampling rate.

The paper I cited was directly related to gunshots and the technical requirements for accurately capturing a gunshot sound profile in the digital domain. Be it 160 kHz, 190 kHz, 200 kHz - it's all well above the 48 kHz sampling rate of some of the meters in use today. I believe I have also illustrated my point regarding the issues of under-sampling data.

Like I said above, go ahead and use whatever hardware you want as long as you understand the limitations. If portability is the driving factor and none of the portable meters available today satisfy standards/best practices then the tradeoff should be understood.

Personally, I've gotten to the point where a the "dB number" ranks pretty low on my list when considering a suppressor for purchase.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 6:44:32 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Nerds.
View Quote

This is much more interesting that sitting at the office running a Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA) while Dumb Ways to Die is playing through my head.

Link Posted: 2/25/2016 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 11:52:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

1474-D (your citation above) talks about data recording (AKA capture of information from the sound level meter), 1474-E is talking about the actual sound testing equipment sampling of information.  So 1474-D could be tested with a 2209 and a tape recorder or an oscilloscope like the military did do in August of 1968 during the Silencer Principles and Evaluations report and allowed for through 1474-D , but 1474-E appears to be made with the B&K Pulse system in mind.

Another point to keep in mind is that the only authority the military takes data from is itself.  So you don't have to test to 1474-E to sell a product to the military or to win a contract with it.  As an industry it will generally make more sense to test with portable equipment, or to at least have testing standards that support portable equipment.  For that reason 1474-D is a sensible standard for the industry to have and it makes sense to me why we use it.  

View Quote

The 2209 is an analog meter and the AC output of the meter is still in the analog domain.

So using a tape recorder (again, staying in the analog domain) is fine as long as the recorder has the proper frequency response and the output signal of the meter is matched to what the analog recorder's input levels. Everything is good as long as you stay in the analog domain.

The terminology is the same in 1474D as in 1474E. The specific sections are calling out the properties of the analog to digital conversion process.

I'm not looking to get into a debate about how the military does things or how they go about soliciting their proposals. I'm focusing on the discussion of using digital sound meters to acquire impulse noise data. It is not about performance requirements for something under solicitation but performance requirements for the tools that are used to gauge the widget being solicited. 1474D calls out a certain performance requirement which is also echoed by a technical paper outside of the military arena. If these performance criteria are not met, then the data acquired by the equipment is in question.

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 1:05:09 AM EDT
[#47]
First I don't want to hijack the thread and I like Griffin.  Both brothers has been at my place and we have tested silencers together.  They are both veterans and good people.  

Second, no company/dealer who releases so-called silencer testing is doing it right.  Period.  The only companies that I know that are using digital sound meters that actually meet Mil Std 1474D or E is Surefire and AAC.  The other digital meters being used are a joke.  They are not capable of testing silencers as per 1474D or E.  This includes every single test Silencerco has released, Silencer Shop released, Capitol, etc...  They are nothing more than marketing meters.  Doing 5 shot averages, not placing the distal end of the silencer at the same place for suppressed vs un-suppressed testing...etc.. its all a joke and is for marketing.  The truth is that most people don't care.  Most people buy into whatever marketing garbage they see and if some big company says it, well they know all about this stuff, so they are right.  Marketing meters are cheap and make people think they are doing real testing.  They are not.  Its all marketing.  

Lots of people say dB's don't matter, or they don't chase dB's....or whatever.  I don't blame them with the bullshit information that they have been able to get for the last 5 years from bogus digital marketing sound meters.  There are many quality products on the market these days.  As for how they actually perform with regards to Mil Std testing, you are not going to find any real answers today.  Buy what you want and what you like, but don't take any of these sound tests seriously because they are pure marketing hype.  Now back to your regularly scheduled dose of marketing madness...
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
First I don't want to hijack the thread and I like Griffin.  Both brothers has been at my place and we have tested silencers together.  They are both veterans and good people.  

View Quote

I have not had the opportunity to meet them but I definitely respect their participation in this discussion. This discussion definitely isn't focused at or directed towards Griffin. I like their products and own a couple of their suppressors - well, I will once they get out of NFA jail.

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I just wanted to clarify because really you are talking about a nuance of the testing and the fact that all the industry companies and also all the independent testing authorities (Al Paulson, Robert Silvers, John Titsworth) have historically read the dial and not hooked up the oscilloscope and taken pictures of the screen.  
I understand your argument.  I'm glad I was able to get to the point I can say I see what you are driving at.  I don't feel it disqualifies the statement the industry as a collective whole has made for the last 20 years, that it tests to Mil-Std 1474-D.    I also don't see the data collection std which is unrelated to peak system rise time as a precedent to 1474-E for establishing that the peak system rise time was seen as not fast enough at 20 microseconds.
View Quote

So the nuance with the B&K2209 is that the data acquired by the meter, in the analog domain, is accurate. The error comes from somebody's eye not being able to discern where that needle exactly is on the scale. With a digital meter, you don't get to look at the analog data. You're looking at undersampled data that's acquired and then processed in the digital domain. So the data acquired by the meter is inaccurate, but there is no inaccuracy associated with reading a number off of an LCD .

Rise time and sampling rate are two different things when characterizing a DAC. A good explanation of the difference between bandwidth/rise time and sampling rate can be found in this white paper from National Instruments.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top