Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2016 9:22:00 AM EDT
I tried a SilencerCo Omega (7.62 can) on my 10.5" AR in 5.56 this weekend and it was defenately not hearing safe. I should mention I was using the 7.62 end cap, but I doubt the .22 end cap would make it hearing safe.

Are there any cans that can make a 5.56 with this short of a barrel hearing safe? Should I be looking at a Specwar in 5.56? All the suppressor db measurements I've seen are with 16" rifles, so I'm having a hard time finding this info.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:32:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure that none of the centerfire rifles will be hearing safe, and especially on a short barrel.
I think the Specwar is supposed to be quietest (or one of the quietest). I would use a Specwar 7.62 can as the larger volume should make it quieter than a 5.56 can (I'm no expert, but I can't imagine the endcap would matter much).  The Harvester (per SilencerCo site) would be quieter and lighter than the specwar.

Harvester 134.9
Specwar 762 130.2
Specwar 556 130.2 (Hmm, interesting, looks like same rating in 5.56 between the two Specwars, if true the 556 would be lighter and shorter...)
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I tried a SilencerCo Omega (7.62 can) on my 10.5" AR in 5.56 this weekend and it was defenately not hearing safe. I should mention I was using the 7.62 end cap, but I doubt the .22 end cap would make it hearing safe.

Are there any cans that can make a 5.56 with this short of a barrel hearing safe? Should I be looking at a Specwar in 5.56? All the suppressor db measurements I've seen are with 16" rifles, so I'm having a hard time finding this info.
View Quote

Nope.

The specwar762 is probably still "quietest" with that setup, but any 5.56 can (especially an SBR) will need hearing protection.

ETA: Beat by 14 seconds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nope.

The specwar762 is probably still "quietest" with that setup, but any 5.56 can (especially an SBR) will need hearing protection.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Worth repeating
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:40:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Nothing with a supersonic crack is going to be hearing safe.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:01:33 PM EDT
[#5]
.300Blk is what you seek.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#6]
so what is the difference in using a Flaming Pig and a suppressor?
How much does the suppressor help?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 6:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

About 30 decibels. Enough to make it to where you can wear only earplugs instead of needing both plugs and over ear muffs. Beyond that, suppressors reduce recoil, muzzle rise, and flash drastically. Making it much more comfortable to shoot as well as making it less intimidating to new shooters.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

About 30 decibels. Enough to make it to where you can wear only earplugs instead of needing both plugs and over ear muffs. Beyond that, suppressors reduce recoil, muzzle rise, and flash drastically. Making it much more comfortable to shoot as well as making it less intimidating to new shooters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. A flaming pig is a "flash suppressor." A suppressor (silencer) is a sound suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Nope.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

I was under the impression that under 140db was hearing safe?  Lots of companies advertise numbers below 140 for cans used with 556. What am I missing?  
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:58:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that under 140db was hearing safe?  Lots of companies advertise numbers below 140 for cans used with 556. What am I missing?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

They are referring to this, but if you look 140 is where it is never safe. At the sound of most 556 cans it is still dangerous with even less than a second of exposure. What many don't realize is that in the 160s of a non suppressed 556 the average 20 some odd ear plugs do not bring the noise to a level that doesn't still cause damage to your inner ear. Unless you could drop it down below 115 (around the volume of the action of an AR15) I wouldn't shoot it without ear protection

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

"Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection140dB"

Manufacturers are saying 140 is ok?
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

"Even short term exposure can cause permanent damage - Loudest recommended exposure WITH hearing protection140dB"

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

They try to all the time and unfortunately our own community likes to spread around this information so they can pretend to be tough guys.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:15:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I've got a 10.3" barrel and have used a Saker 7.62 with 7.62 endcap and a Saker 5.56. Both hurt my ears without earpro.  

I still use earplugs and muffs. I wouldn't consider shooting without at least a set of good earplugs despite what the silencer manufacturers say.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:42:08 PM EDT
[#14]
IMO not much point in chasing the questest suppressor for 5.56 as the sonic crack of the bullet combined with the loud action makes it pointless.

I usually recommend a suppressor that's light and short.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:02:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They try to all the time and unfortunately our own community likes to spread around this information so they can pretend to be tough guys.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.

Agreed with this as well. I've gotten in enough arguments with idiots who fall back on "well I get my hearing tested all the time and MY ears are fine shooting without hearing protection" that I now simply ignore them. Looking around at various manufacturers, OSS and LaRue are the only two that I found that have "hearing-safe" touted on their centerfire rifle cans. OSS's page in particular is pretty funny.

LaRue: "The TranQuilo is 100% CNC machined from stainless steels, reduces sound to hearing-safe levels and flash signature to almost zero."

OSS (then click on "Sound suppression" at the far right.)

"OSHA and the US Military recognize hearing safe decibel levels as <140dB. Most baffle suppressors have reported measurement levels of at least 138db.

The baffle industry uses a testing methodology that measures dB with microphone placement 1 meter to the right of the muzzle.

At OSS we believe this results in dB levels that, while meeting industry standards, do not reflect real world experience.  Instead we measure dB levels for our Flow-Through suppression systems at the shooters ear.

OSS suppression systems can deliver sound levels as low as 138dB – well below hearing safe."

Those damn, dirty "baffle" suppressors are AT LEAST 138 dB (bullshit), while OSS suppressors are AS LOW AS 138dB, "well below hearing safe" (bullshit).

Don't "at least" and "as low as" mean the exact same thing?

138 dB is not hearing safe, and the difference between 138 dB and 140 dB is laughably small, not "well below" anything.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#16]
If suppressors were somehow magically dropped from the NFA, and they were available over-the-counter, I'm guessing that the playing field would quickly become more clear. The time between purchase and testing and then the spread of information would be days, not months.

Right now most of us lay down our money, cross our fingers and hope for the best... In six months.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:56:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
IMO not much point in chasing the questest suppressor for 5.56 as the sonic crack of the bullet combined with the loud action makes it pointless.

View Quote

Agreed. I would go as far as saying that net sound reduction is way down the list.

Far more important are length, weight, mounting system, and blowback through the ejection port.

I have shot the Specwar 556, the M4-2000 Mod 08 and the SOCOM RC 556 side-by-side, same day, same ammo, similar guns at a public range.

The SureFire is mine and I used to own the M4-2000 before selling it to a friend.

Half a dozen impartial observers could not definitively say which can was quietest.

Small increases in length and weight add up quickly when mounted on the end of a rifle barrel.

Suppressed AR's are still loud regardless of which can is mounted on them.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not aware of a hearing safe 5.56 suppressor from any manufacturer, .300 BLK might be what you need. With that said, my Saker 556K sounds like a pneumatic nail gun indoors.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:04:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sound advice for those seeking to quiet 5.56 rifles.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pun?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Small and Light makes sense. So for you gurus what are the top three
that are SHORT AND LIGHT???
Next Criteria is $$$$$.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I never understand why someone would focus on short and light when buying a suppressor until I started shooting suppressed.  Short and light is not the only thing I look for, but it's a top requirement for sure.  

Here are some recommendations:  Saker or SakerK, SpecwarK, Recce5, Razor, Omega, Sandman-S.  There are many others, but these are what I have used or have waiting on stamps, or have researched.  If it's only for 556, you're not married to a mounting system, and $$$ is an issue, I would look at the SpecwarK.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:26:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I never understand why someone would focus on short and light when buying a suppressor until I started shooting suppressed.  Short and light is not the only thing I look for, but it's a top requirement for sure.  

Here are some recommendations:  Saker or SakerK, SpecwarK, Recce5, Razor, Omega, Sandman-S.  There are many others, but these are what I have used or have waiting on stamps, or have researched.  If it's only for 556, you're not married to a mounting system, and $$$ is an issue, I would look at the SpecwarK.
View Quote

Even when money isn't an issue I recommend the specwar k. The only benefit to the saker k is if you already have mounts for other cans. Outside of that it is heavier louder, close in length and far more expensive than the specwar k.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:35:02 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree with the crew that's advocating for shorter and lighter on a 5.56/223 AR15.  I have several cans and my favorite is my Mini 4.  Based on sound pressure measurements, it sucks.  But even the "quietest" cans on 5.56/223 are still relatively loud so they aren't worth the tradeoff in length and weight to me.  That said, I'm not recommending AAC, just that one of the 'k' cans is IMHO the better choice.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:06:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Small and Light makes sense. So for you gurus what are the top three
that are SHORT AND LIGHT???
Next Criteria is $$$$$.
View Quote

I think the Recce 5 is a serious contender in this category. When you include the weight of the mount, it's lighter than the Specwar K 5.56. Both are 6.2" long.

Recce 5: 14.5 ounces, muzzle brake 1.8 ounces (or 1.0 ounces for the titanium brake) for a total of 15.5 oz / 16.3 oz.
Specwar K 5.56: 13.7 ounces, muzzle brake 3.4 ounces for a total of 17.1 ounces

The Recce 5 is also quieter than the Specwar K 5.56. It costs $66 more than the Specwar K 5.56 at Capitol Armory. They have both in stock.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks to you all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top