BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:57:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The SD can itself is an NFA item, so it would have to be produced here. Beyond that, it may be difficult to bring in on an importation points basis - I've never bothered to figure out how many points it would get, but they're heavy as hell for a pistol so it may have enough points. Not sure. And it also may be difficult to get approval of any additional models from Turkey because of the whole Turkey-Syria-Russia-U.S. whatever.
View Quote
Nfa items cannot be imported for commercial use. By definition they are non sporting and are not subject to the points system.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Nfa items cannot be imported for commercial use. By definition they are non sporting and are not subject to the points system.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The SD can itself is an NFA item, so it would have to be produced here. Beyond that, it may be difficult to bring in on an importation points basis - I've never bothered to figure out how many points it would get, but they're heavy as hell for a pistol so it may have enough points. Not sure. And it also may be difficult to get approval of any additional models from Turkey because of the whole Turkey-Syria-Russia-U.S. whatever.
Right, but it could be imported as an SD pistol (no SBR, no can), correct? And would be subject to the point system? Just checked, they're about 6 lbs in pistol form without a can, which would put them at 96 points just on weight, with 75 points required.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 2:56:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought you were referring to the can for points.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:36:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
After 393 days of waiting on Form 4s, I got news my TPM SD is approved and ready for pickup.  Road tripping to Carrollton next weekend to pick it up.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
something unique about that SD can.

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
something unique about that SD can.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4319/35394515404_d6540128a4_c.jpg
View Quote
Is it full of crackers?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 7:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is it full of crackers?
View Quote
How'd you know?
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:01:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How'd you know?
View Quote
I like MP5s and crackers. I thought we all did.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:58:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I like MP5s and crackers. I thought we all did.
View Quote
We do. It's like a secret club
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:08:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

We do. It's like a secret club
View Quote
Great. Now everyone knows.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 6:47:56 AM EDT
[#11]
I love this thread. You guys crack me up.

I'm interested in seeing what new SD options are coming out. Who knows, maybe I'll take the plunge one of these days.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:51:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Nope.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:52:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote
well shit!
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 10:45:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nope.
View Quote
You got denied?
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You got denied?
View Quote
I don't blame them.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't blame them.
View Quote
I don't either. Lol.

No denial. Just no approval. No nothing. Except pain, love and loss.

Don't mind me, I've got Fire and Rain on a loop and three bottles of Rosé.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 10:25:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Has anybody done any gel tests with their SD? Curious how the expansion of hollowpoints is at the slower speeds.
Link Posted: 8/8/2017 11:05:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Well I emailed Silencerco... they told me that in their high round testing, it showed that there wasn't a need to ever clean the Omega 9SD cans they're releasing. If I do get the urge to clean it, they told me to soak it in mineral spirits for 12-24 hours and then used compressed air to blow it all out.

Never really had to clean a suppressor before... but does that sound normal? On paper it seems Silencerco is really modernizing the MP5SD, but with the hassle/expense of a suppressor and tax stamp, I want to make sure it's not a regrettable decision.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 2:08:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Well I emailed Silencerco... they told me that in their high round testing, it showed that there wasn't a need to ever clean the Omega 9SD cans they're releasing. If I do get the urge to clean it, they told me to soak it in mineral spirits for 12-24 hours and then used compressed air to blow it all out.

Never really had to clean a suppressor before... but does that sound normal? On paper it seems Silencerco is really modernizing the MP5SD, but with the hassle/expense of a suppressor and tax stamp, I want to make sure it's not a regrettable decision.
View Quote
Honestly it sounds like bullshit to me. I've seen the pictures of SD cans completely filled with stuff. I've heard the warnings from TPM that you must clean the can or it will fill up with stuff. I've weighed my can before and after one range session and found it gained 0.25 ounces and visually had a considerable amount of stuff in it. Stuff is bad.

It will fill up without cleaning. It has to. I don't know how many rounds it takes, but it has to happen.

We can question the logic or necessity of user serviceable rifle cans and pistol cans, and there's evidence to show that even they benefit from cleaning. But questioning a sealed rimfire can or sealed SD can isn't even up for debate in my mind. It's idiotic because of the design of the platform.

All of this is my semi-informed opinion, and the people at SilencerCo have a lot more experience than I do. But I don't believe for a second that it never needs cleaned. If mineral spirits works, excellent. It'll be a nice short can (that hasn't been metered against the leading cans as far as I know.)

Maybe that same cleaning method can be used for the Omega 9K and Dead Air's new sealed pistol can.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I don't either. Lol.

No denial. Just no approval. No nothing. Except pain, love and loss.

Don't mind me, I've got Fire and Rain on a loop and three bottles of Rosé.
View Quote
Figured you were listening to REM's "Everybody Hurts"...
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:05:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Figured you were listening to REM's "Everybody Hurts"...
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
But I don't believe for a second that it never needs cleaned.
View Quote
" Never say 'never' "

I don't believe that it "never" needs cleaned. But the infamous TPM cans full of schmoo and cut apart, how many rounds were we talking? Nobody (that I am aware of) has said "these cans had (X-number) of rounds through, and were never cleaned"

It just seems they look at the photos and say "they need cleaned!

That being said, I prefer to have the ability to clean them to my standards, at my discretion.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:32:24 AM EDT
[#24]
I bought another rollerlocker in the meantime. Probably the exact opposite of the SD.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bought another rollerlocker in the meantime. Probably the exact opposite of the SD.
View Quote
????
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Ha. So close. PTR K3P.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

" Never say 'never' "

I don't believe that it "never" needs cleaned. But the infamous TPM cans full of schmoo and cut apart, how many rounds were we talking? Nobody (that I am aware of) has said "these cans had (X-number) of rounds through, and were never cleaned"

That being said, I prefer to have the ability to clean them to my standards, at my discretion.
View Quote
Those were 80-100K rounds I believe
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:50:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

" Never say 'never' "

So at what point did the can weigh twice as much and lose a significant amount of suppression? 30K rounds?

If it'll gain 0.25 ounces for every 300-400 rounds, that can is getting heavier and heavier over time. It's also going to block the ports that slow the bullet down.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:22:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Ha. So close. PTR K3P.
View Quote

Nice choice.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Damn... I bet SiCo/Dead Air/etc figure most "civilian" shooters won't come close to that, and if we do we would just buy another.

Again, I'm a fan of having the *option* to clean my cans. Although I don't. But I probably should.

#dirtycansmatter
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Awesome.

Link Posted: 8/17/2017 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#32]
My Sandman-S will go on the G3K when it gets out of jail
Link Posted: 8/21/2017 12:39:21 PM EDT
[#33]
went to the LGS on sat to fill out my Form 4s.  This is going to be a long 6 months to 1 year
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 9:56:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Nope. Nope. Nope.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 1:49:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nope. Nope. Nope.
View Quote

I'm going to get my Sten before you get your SD...
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 11:29:39 PM EDT
[#36]
Anyone here order the Omega 9 SD can?
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:18:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone here order the Omega 9 SD can?
View Quote
I doubt it. It's heavy and twice as expensive as the TPM and will fill with lead since it's not serviceable.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:30:32 PM EDT
[#38]
@BCV when can you lift the lid on TPM's announcement regarding their SD cans?! Been wondering if I jumped the gun back in Oct... still haven't "heard" anything...
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 3:36:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@BCV when can you lift the lid on TPM's announcement regarding their SD cans?! Been wondering if I jumped the gun back in Oct... still haven't "heard" anything...
View Quote
Not my decision to make. But I can tell you we started on them last week.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:51:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Not my decision to make. But I can tell you we started on them last week.
View Quote
Ok, so long as I didn't miss the announcement, I can wait longer
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:37:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:39:21 PM EDT
[#42]
What if I told you the author of that article is also the creator of this thread?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

What if I told you the author of that article is also the creator of this thread?
View Quote
He's just a poser .. probably doesn't even have an MP5SD. 
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:43:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 8:31:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shots fired.

Interesting to see an MK9K competitor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:58:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where? Half the volume of the MK-9K, I would bet MK-9K still meters better, and it's .5" shorter. So why not add the extra .6" diameter and get better sound? But to each their own
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:18:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Where? Half the volume of the MK-9K, I would bet MK-9K still meters better, and it's .5" shorter. So why not add the extra .6" diameter and get better sound? But to each their own
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe a half-step between the Omega 9K and the MK9K then. I would definitely expect the MK9K to meter better, but isn't it around 22-24 ounces?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Maybe a half-step between the Omega 9K and the MK9K then. I would definitely expect the MK9K to meter better, but isn't it around 22-24 ounces?
View Quote
20oz. Balances well though.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:17:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Ha!

I must have accidentally unsubscribed from this thread. Accidentally.

Still no SD. Somebody hates me.  

I have pricing on the HK cans. But I can't share it publicly.  Hit me up if you are considering one and I'll give you an estimate.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:53:44 PM EDT
[#50]
TPM released some info today on IG
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top