Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 34
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:03:46 PM EDT
[#1]
For my SD family. Pics courtesy of SiCo. I'll share more next week after the TFB post Tuesday.

Link Posted: 7/20/2017 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

0.45 ounces lighter than a TPM can on the first shot, steadily heavier after that unless it can somehow be cleaned.

And it's priced to aggressively compete with the KAC SD can.
View Quote
That and in video they compared it to a can at 129.6db, and has there can at 126.4. Can't imagine what can they used to get 126, that is very loud for a SD can. KAC can is 125.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 3:50:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
For my SD family. Pics courtesy of SiCo. I'll share more next week after the TFB post Tuesday.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/83570/IMG-0508-258739.jpg
View Quote
Got the email this morning as well...I don’t have $3k to spend on a host and can...damn it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Ordered two of the 9SD.

One for our actual Postie MP5SD, another for a personal gun(guess I need a DT).
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:03:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ordered two of the 9SD.

One for our actual Postie MP5SD, another for a personal gun(guess I need a DT).
View Quote
DT's are extremely over rated.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:06:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

DT's are extremely over rated.
View Quote
Who would you recommend?

I've been honestly underwhelmed by ever other Manf. that wasn't DT.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Who would you recommend?

I've been honestly underwhelmed by ever other Manf. that wasn't DT.
View Quote
As someone who has been dissecting all the main players for a project I have been working on (more on that later) I can tell you that I was the most impressed with TPM, which is why I bought one, followed by Brethern.

The first DT we had was jammomatic which I believe is from not being properly folded. This was about 3'ish years ago so maybe he got better. The other one I got the finish and welds looked like a 8 year with down syndrome did it. It's your money so spend how you like.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:28:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

As someone who has been dissecting all the main players for a project I have been working on (more on that later) I can tell you that I was the most impressed with TPM, which is why I bought one, followed by Brethern.

The first DT we had was jammomatic which I believe is from not being properly folded. This was about 3'ish years ago so maybe he got better. The other one I got the finish and welds looked like a 8 year with down syndrome did it. It's your money so spend how you like.
View Quote
For some reason my mind completely blanked about TPM.

That's the gentleman with the 93R/Lava Lamp, right?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
But look at the size of the Omega 9SD, much shorter and lighter than the other SD cans and only slightly, almost imperceptibly, louder.  Looks like a winner to me! 
View Quote
If it delivers 3db less than a KAC/B&T can, then it rules. But I saw the fine print and 129 db is for the "original MP5SD silencer". That would be the cheese grater made in the 70s.

However, even if comes close to a current SD in sound, it is a winner just on size alone!
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 6:31:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

If it delivers 3db less than a KAC/B&T can, then it rules. But I saw the fine print and 129 db is for the "original MP5SD silencer". That would be the cheese grater made in the 70s.

However, even if comes close to a current SD in sound, it is a winner just on size alone!
View Quote
With your SD can library, you're the best one here to test them all side by side.

I'm assuming these will be similar to  the Gemtech MK9K and made on limited runs?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
But look at the size of the Omega 9SD, much shorter and lighter than the other SD cans and only slightly, almost imperceptibly, louder.  Looks like a winner to me! 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That and in video they compared it to a can at 129.6db, and has there can at 126.4. Can't imagine what can they used to get 126, that is very loud for a SD can. KAC can is 125.
0.45 ounces lighter than TPM's can.

The fact that it can't be cleaned (can it?) seems like a complete non-starter to me. SD cans HAVE to be cleaned or they'll fill with lead. Reposted:

If it can be cleaned, then hell yeah the length is awesome. But if it can't be cleaned, absolutely nothing else about the can matters one bit.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:49:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah I'm going to order a TPM gun myself next calendar year. Have a TPM can in jail right now.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah I'm going to order a TPM gun myself next calendar year. Have a TPM can in jail right now.
View Quote
Im in the same boat, and strongly considering it. What will I do with 2 SDs? Dunno. But wont hurt to find out
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The fact that it can't be cleaned (can it?) seems like a complete non-starter to me. SD cans HAVE to be cleaned or they'll fill with lead. Reposted:

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Why.you_.need_.to_.clean_.your_.suppresor.cans_.every_.so_.often_-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/ghilliebear/5-21-2011/DSC00634.jpg

If it can be cleaned, then hell yeah the length is awesome. But if it can't be cleaned, absolutely nothing else about the can matters one bit.
View Quote
They say this in their manual but who knows if it means disassembly on our end.
Attachment Attached File

Eta: or are they referring to "assembling" the firearm?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:13:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/328336/IMG-3005-259097.JPG

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://14544-presscdn-0-64.pagely.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/Why.you_.need_.to_.clean_.your_.suppresor.cans_.every_.so_.often_-1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y182/ghilliebear/5-21-2011/DSC00634.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/328336/IMG-3005-259097.JPG

They're talking about the firearm.

Didn't see that about the welded mount. Wow, that can will turn itself into a paperweight. I don't want to call it a POS, but...yeah...that's retarded.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Didn't see that about the welded mount. Wow, that can will turn itself into a paperweight. I don't want to call it a POS, but...yeah...that's retarded.
View Quote
Those pics that you posted of cans filled with lead, realistically how many rounds does it take for that to happen?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:43:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Those pics that you posted of cans filled with lead, realistically how many rounds does it take for that to happen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure, but I bet TPM knows. SD cans get crap in them at an alarming rate because of the ported barrel. My intuition tells me that it's quite a few rounds, but quite a few less than someone might expect.

I'd love to find out a solid number on that if anyone knows. But if the can is going you be disposable, it needs to be $300 + stamp. And even then, tough sell.

ETA: Let's just say it's 50,000 rounds for argument's sake. I shoot 390 rounds in a range session and I shoot twice a month. Five years and my can is solid lead? Great. And it would be worthless from a suppression standpoint long before that.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#20]
Send it back to SiCo and let them cut the stack off, clean it out and weld a stack back on???
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Those cans had like 100K through them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

TPM has their SD cans on sale for $465 each right now. That's a hell of a price.
View Quote
Is this sale still on? Is there a special link or code for it? Their site shows 599
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:47:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is this sale still on? Is there a special link or code for it? Their site shows 599
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TPM has their SD cans on sale for $465 each right now. That's a hell of a price.
Just call them. They posted it on Facebook a few days ago IIRC.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Those cans had like 100K through them.
View Quote
So at what point were the barrel ports completely blocked off, defeating the purpose of owning an SD at all? 10k? 20k? That's a totally unacceptable compromise just to have a shorter can that costs twice as much as others.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:14:03 PM EDT
[#25]
GeneralPurpose now that you have had your SD for awhile what are your thoughts on it and the TPM can?

I remember when you posted about first shooting it that it appeared louder than your K, is that right?  

Please try to sell me on it.  I have a POF reverse stretch that is approved to be SBR'd but I havent messed with it yet.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:33:27 PM EDT
[#26]
With Subs and a octane 9mm my K is as quiet as my TPM MP5SD.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:51:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
But does the SD actually make the 115's as quiet as the sub's through your K?  

I should have elaborated a little better.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd like to know the answer to this as well, I'm already planning for and mp5 just not sure which one yet. I'd like to be well educated on the differences of each before I purchase, and also what ammo they like to eat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 10:08:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I'd like to know the answer to this as well, I'm already planning for and mp5 just not sure which one yet. I'd like to be well educated on the differences of each before I purchase, and also what ammo they like to eat.
View Quote
To the ear, yes! You get a flyer every now and then.

On meter, I couldn't tell you!
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
GeneralPurpose now that you have had your SD for awhile what are your thoughts on it and the TPM can?

I remember when you posted about first shooting it that it appeared louder than your K, is that right?  

Please try to sell me on it.  I have a POF reverse stretch that is approved to be SBR'd but I havent messed with it yet.
View Quote
I love the SD. The last time I went shooting, the K stayed home. The SD is so soft shooting, and so easy on brass compared to the K.

I don't think the K is quieter than the SD, I think it has a deeper tone but that seems pretty universal with silencers. The ones that are quieter have a slightly higher pitch. If you want quiet, both guns will check that box. Shooting them outside there's really no difference. Shooting them inside (I usually shoot out of the open end of a metal building), the SD is quieter.

If I could only keep one, it would be the SD. But I'm really happy to have both. Also, the TPM can is awesome. It's so light. SDs have kind of a heavy front end with the cage and rubber handguard, and I don't think I would've been as happy with a steel can.

The silencer design is a big thing to consider. If you want shielded baffles, Engineer's can looks like a killer design. I'm okay with a little more maintenance, I knew what I was getting into with an SD.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:15:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
115s? No. They are noticeably louder in the SD than subsonics in a K or normal full size with a standard pistol can.

124 grain through the SD is just as quiet as 147 grain and just as quiet as 147 grain in a K and full size.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 11:30:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Interesting.  Thanks guys
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

115s? No. They are noticeably louder in the SD than subsonics in a K or normal full size with a standard pistol can.

124 grain through the SD is just as quiet as 147 grain and just as quiet as 147 grain in a K and full size.
View Quote
Ditto. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 1:43:15 AM EDT
[#34]
Sounds like the sd is the route to go just so I don't have to shoot the heavy bullets to keep it subsonic.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:31:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:18:48 AM EDT
[#36]
Since we're on the topic of quiet MP5s- shot my MP5K with the SiCo Omega 9K for the first time yesterday. 115s were a bit loud, 147 was nice and quiet. Very happy with that setup.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Ditto. 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ditto. 
It's funny, in the SD 115 seemed quieter when shooting outside, but 147 was definitely quieter shooting inside.

In the K, 147 is quieter all around. Since I reload, and 147 is a negligible cost increase over 115, I'll just feed 147 through everything. It's a difference of ¢1.7 / round.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I just cleaned my TPM SD can again after ~400 rounds. I'm not going for white glove clean, just scraping off what I can with a scoop-shaped dental pick and spraying it down with oil.

Pre-cleaning = 15.65 ounces
Post-cleaning = 15.40 ounces

That pretty much sums up why I think a sealed SD can is a terrible idea unless it's for a law enforcement / Military application. For us mere civilians who have to wait a year, pay $200 for every transfer, and probably shoot a lot more annually...screw that. And I can't imagine LE/Mil wanting to order anything other than factory HK cans, but I could be wrong.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Anyone know wherw i can find a barreled omega sd receiver in stock? Atlantic arms has been out of stock for a long time.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:46:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Anyone know wherw i can find a barreled omega sd receiver in stock? Atlantic arms has been out of stock for a long time.
View Quote
Pretty sure it was said that due to some politics omega wasn't gonna make anymore!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Pretty sure it was said that due to some politics omega wasn't gonna make anymore!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Details? It seems like that would've been a hot seller for them, provided they could get the barrel concentric to the cage.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Where was that said?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Dude u mean zenith mke. I kniw theyre not importing sd anymore because of Turkish politics. Omega is domestic, and just waiting on the next run. But want now!
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:14:54 PM EDT
[#44]
I think Atlantic Arms said it in another thread. Something about some internal politics. Maybe I dreamed it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:31:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I think Atlantic Arms said it in another thread. Something about some internal politics. Maybe I dreamed it.
View Quote
I haven't seen that but I'm curious now.

I have heard that the MKE SD won't be happening. Eh, who knows. Glad I have my TPM.

I want a full-size but I also want to buy a house, soooooo...maybe in five years?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:11:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
I haven't seen anything like that. If anything they're coming out with even more models.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:23:12 AM EDT
[#47]
After 393 days of waiting on Form 4s, I got news my TPM SD is approved and ready for pickup.  Road tripping to Carrollton next weekend to pick it up.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:34:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
After 393 days of waiting on Form 4s, I got news my TPM SD is approved and ready for pickup.  Road tripping to Carrollton next weekend to pick it up.
View Quote
cant wait for the IG pics.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:29:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Dude u mean zenith mke. I kniw theyre not importing sd anymore because of Turkish politics. Omega is domestic, and just waiting on the next run. But want now!
View Quote
What about their laws/etc make a SD different than anything else?
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:55:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The SD can itself is an NFA item, so it would have to be produced here. Beyond that, it may be difficult to bring in on an importation points basis - I've never bothered to figure out how many points it would get, but they're heavy as hell for a pistol so it may have enough points. Not sure. And it also may be difficult to get approval of any additional models from Turkey because of the whole Turkey-Syria-Russia-U.S. whatever.
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top