Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 34
Posted: 2/5/2016 10:33:15 PM EDT
As I come closer and closer to buying a SA MP5, I'm pretty sure I am going to want an SD version.  

My questions are:

Is there a suppressor that has similar dimensions as the SD can? It doesn't need to be exact; I'm not cloning.

I'm assuming the barrel on the SD is ported? I'd like to be able to shoot most 9mm as subsonic. If it's not ported, I may rethink this project.

If I go with a thread-on solution, will the increased/decreased back pressure with certain cans effect the roller delayed-blowback action? Does the SD version have differences in the bolt/action over the MP5?

Is a Form 1 the way to go or does someone make a semi-drop in solution that performs well?

My preferences: It should sound great and fit inside the SD handguard.

I have plenty of time on the MP5 and MP5K, but I've never had a chance to field strip an SD.
Thanks

ETA: Scrap the idea and go with an MPX integral by Innovative Arms?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Definitely keep the MP5 idea!
Beyond that, I don't have any insight
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#2]
True SD is ported barrel/integral non-removeable suppressor.  The porting is what makes standard loads subsonic, so any screw-on solution you attempt won't reduce standard loads to subsonic.

ETA: There didn't used to be any difference in the locking piece or springs for an SD compared to the other models, as the porting was meant to keep things in the proper range.

I run a 3-lug QD can on mine with standard barrel.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
True SD is ported barrel/integral non-removeable suppressor.  The porting is what makes standard loads subsonic, so any screw-on solution you attempt won't reduce standard loads to subsonic.

ETA: There didn't used to be any difference in the locking piece or springs for an SD compared to the other models, as the porting was meant to keep things in the proper range.

View Quote

Thanks.

I'm assuming there are companies out there making the ported barrel/suppressor combo or converting a standard barrel to an SD? Maybe cost prohibitive?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm assuming there are companies out there making the ported barrel/suppressor combo or converting a standard barrel to an SD? Maybe cost prohibitive?
View Quote

I'm only aware of people building receiver-cut SD kits into semi autos, or occasionally cloning them for a new build as custom work.  Very cheapest possibility would be a faux-SD clone that you have a custom suppressor retrofitted into, which is still going to be custom gunsmithing work.

I'd guess $2k-3k for a clone between the faux-SD host and the work to have it built into a functional SD clone. More like $6k+ to get a genuine parts kit and have it built on a semi receiver.  Mags are expensive, too... inexpensive and HK do not play well together.

Unless you're up for that level of financial commitment for a suppressed semi auto, maybe get an integral 9mm upper for an AR instead.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
As I come closer and closer to buying a SA MP5, I'm pretty sure I am going to want an SD version.  

My questions are:

Is there a suppressor that has similar dimensions as the SD can? It doesn't need to be exact; I'm not cloning.

Most of the aftermarket cans are. The KAC can is slightly smaller diameter.

I'm assuming the barrel on the SD is ported? I'd like to be able to shoot most 9mm as subsonic. If it's not ported, I may rethink this project.

Yes it is ported.

If I go with a thread-on solution, will the increased/decreased back pressure with certain cans effect the roller delayed-blowback action? Does the SD version have differences in the bolt/action over the MP5?

All MP5 SD cans are thread on, unless someone welds it up. The factory BBL is threaded M18x1.

Is a Form 1 the way to go or does someone make a semi-drop in solution that performs well?

You could do a pistol and have A1 buttcap. But if you want a stock it is F1.

Of course it has to fit. If it doesn't fit, it will not work.

I have plenty of time on the MP5 and MP5K, but I've never had a chance to field strip an SD.
Thanks

View Quote

_BLUE_

Obligatory pix. You can see the KAC can is smaller diameter than the factory HK can:

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:47:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

RCM makes a bbl. It is easy to source parts.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:56:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you.

For clarification, I meant Form 1 a suppressor. I know the MP5 itself will need to be an SBR.

Do you have any pics of just the barrel? Even though it's thread on, I'm assuming is a reflex design that covers the port?

Quoted:

_BLUE_

Obligatory pix. You can see the KAC can is smaller diameter than the factory HK can:

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/HK/MP5SD-HKKAC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/HK/MP5SD-HKKAC.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My questions are:

Most of the aftermarket cans are. The KAC can is slightly smaller diameter.

Yes it is ported.

All MP5 SD cans are thread on, unless someone welds it up. The factory BBL is threaded M18x1.

You could do a pistol and have A1 buttcap. But if you want a stock it is F1.

Of course it has to fit. If it doesn't fit, it will not work.

Thanks

_BLUE_

<a href="http://s839.photobucket.com/user/Umbrarian/media/Guns/HK/MP5SD-HKKAC.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz314/Umbrarian/Guns/HK/MP5SD-HKKAC.jpg</a>

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Definitely understand that anything HK related is going to be pricey. I was hoping to convert an MKE5 ($1600) to an SD for a "reasonable" amount of money.

But I'll figure something else out for anything over $2500 not including stamps.

Quoted:

I'm only aware of people building receiver-cut SD kits into semi autos, or occasionally cloning them for a new build as custom work.  Very cheapest possibility would be a faux-SD clone that you have a custom suppressor retrofitted into, which is still going to be custom gunsmithing work.

I'd guess $2k-3k for a clone between the faux-SD host and the work to have it built into a functional SD clone. More like $6k+ to get a genuine parts kit and have it built on a semi receiver.  Mags are expensive, too... inexpensive and HK do not play well together.

Unless you're up for that level of financial commitment for a suppressed semi auto, maybe get an integral 9mm upper for an AR instead.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:05:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Comparison only:

Innovative Arms Integral MPX (MSRP $2395)

http://innovativearms.com/portfolio/smpx-sig-mpx-integral/

All of our integral firearms feature a one piece billet core that is machined from 17-4ph stainless steel and are user serviceable. Each integral comes with a tool, however, you can also use any standard 3/8 drive wrench. No need to buy subsonic ammo to be stealth quiet, our unique design gives you subsonic velocities with standard and high velocity ammunition.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Do you have any pics of just the barrel? Even though it's thread on, I'm assuming is a reflex design that covers the port?
View Quote

hkparts.net has pix and parts and more

ETA: So, $200 for the barrel, $600 for the can if you don't roll your own on an F1, $200 for the suppressor stamp, $200 for the SBR stamp, and whatever you have to pay to have the SD barrel installed on your host firearm, on top of the cost of the host.  $3k total if you did it on the MKE, little less if you could find a cheaper host, but you'd need to factor in other parts costs if the host didn't already have most of the correct parts needed for the forearm, etc.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:22:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKNARCMSD001-4.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/catalog/HKNARCMSD001-4.jpg

Thanks. That's some serious porting.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:34:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Converting a standard to an SD can be difficult. There is a different trunion used on the SD. ALso, the SD has a different locking piece inside the bolt, but the standard should work if you had to use it.

I have an SD clone from TPM outfitters. They are great to deal with and I love the gun. I have an SBR's MPX too. Trust me, get the SD or you will be getting on later.

I think I paid $2,750 for my SD including suppressor. The suppressor is made by TPM using K Baffles.

Unfortunately their prices have gone up due to demand. I think now their SD model is $3,500 - $4,000
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:53:20 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Converting a standard to an SD can be difficult. There is a different trunion used on the SD. ALso, the SD has a different locking piece inside the bolt, but the standard should work if you had to use it.

I have an SD clone from TPM outfitters. They are great to deal with and I love the gun. I have an SBR's MPX too. Trust me, get the SD or you will be getting on later.

I think I paid $2,750 for my SD including suppressor. The suppressor is made by TPM using K Baffles.

Unfortunately their prices have gone up due to demand. I think now their SD model is $3,500 - $4,000
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks. Great info.

http://www.tpmoutfitters.net/apps/webstore/products/show/6024957

TPM Built MP5SD pistol/W Suppressor

$3,649.99

We have a new production TPM Outfitters Built MP5SD pistol with the following upgrades, LSC flat with weldment kit. HK 3 action bolt group, these are the latest offering from HK Germany, factory HK navy style semi auto trigger group with 4 position clipped and pinned housing, HK Mag parts, MP5SD handguard, RCM MP5SD Barrel and trunion, TPM MP5SD suppressor on a form 3 in Texas. It comes with one 30rnd hk mag. We can register it as an SBR for any one and will be 922r compliant and Add $399 for an HK a3 stock if desired that way or $75 for an A2 stock.

Manufacturer: TPM Outfitters

Model: M P5SD

Caliber: 9mm Luger (9x19 Para)

Barrel Length: 6 inch

Frame Finish: Black

Slide Finish: Black

Grips: Polymer

Shipping and transfer Tax fees not included. All sales are final. The prices above reflect a cash discount, we accept MO, checks or Visa/Mastercard CC add 3% We Ship to FFL dealers only, we need to have an FFL with your info (name, and what you are buying) on it and faxed to 972-242-2035 or send a scanned copy. NO sales to California or any other banned state, please know your local laws.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Mine started life as a Coharie barreled receiver.  Painted and added the guts myself + RCM can.  I think I'm about $2500 into it.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Awesome. Do you have a build thread?

Is the barrel ported?

$2500 including stamps?

If you had to do it over, same route or something different?

Quoted:
Mine started life as a Coharie barreled receiver.  Painted and added the guts myself + RCM can.  I think I'm about $2500 into it.

<a href="http://s92.photobucket.com/user/HK94dude/media/2012-07-10_19-43-20_592.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l30/HK94dude/2012-07-10_19-43-20_592.jpg</a>

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is the barrel ported?

$2500 including stamps?

View Quote

I did the same thing. Just attach a trigger group, stock and screw on a can. Mine was Black Market Parts. It has run 100%, better than my factory HK MP5SD which is only 99.999% (1 FTE).

If BMP was still selling them, I would buy several more.

eta

this is link where I learned about it

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=6&f=9&t=355395
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I did the same thing. Just attach a trigger group, stock and screw on a can. Mine was Black Market Parts. It has run 100%, better than my factory HK MP5SD which is only 99.999% (1 FTE).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Is the barrel ported?

$2500 including stamps?

My mistake, it was a BMP upper, no build thread though.  Just like X said, drop in the parts, screw on the can and go bang.  No regrets and I would do it again in a second.   It's been 100% reliable with every brand of ammo I've tried and really quiet.

edit:  ported barrel and the $2500 was a ball park guess

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:40:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My mistake, it was a BMP upper, no build thread though.  Just like X said, drop in the parts, screw on the can and go bang.  No regrets and I would do it again in a second.   It's been 100% reliable with every brand of ammo I've tried and really quiet.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is the barrel ported?

$2500 including stamps?

Yep, both you and I posted in that thread I mentioned. Your unpainted photo is still there.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#20]
I would get the in-stock $799 kit from HKPARTS.

Then take take it to Ghillibear to put together.

eta

u-oh. my wallet is saying go for it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:00:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would get the in-stock $799 kit from HKPARTS.

Then take take it to Ghillibear to put together.

eta

u-oh. my wallet is saying go for it.
View Quote

I was eyeing that one too...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Just watched a bunch of flat bending videos... I feel like building three and SBRing them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Just watched a bunch of flat bending videos... I feel like building three and SBRing them.
View Quote

What are you waiting for?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:14:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unlike AKs they require welding. I'm missing that skill.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:14:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Dbl
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:18:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Not sure if you knew, but MKE is rumored to be bringing in SDs. As with anything HK, there's several price points you can do this at and none of them are particularly cheap.

But if you lack welding, I'd probably avoid that route.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Not sure if you knew, but MKE is rumored to be bringing in SDs. As with anything HK, there's several price points you can do this at and none of them are particularly cheap.

View Quote

I did not. Thanks. I'm assuming with a faux suppressor?

MKE seems like the best value right now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:26:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Maybe a source for 100% receivers and make this a long term project?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real deal suppressor.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/457228_Zenith_Firearms___No_news_from_Shot_Show_2016_.html&page=1#i4494330

Unless you're trying to beat 41F for whatever reason, I'd probably just wait. My MKE purrs. I want the SD and I don't even have a good reason.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Real deal suppressor.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_9/457228_Zenith_Firearms___No_news_from_Shot_Show_2016_.html&page=1#i4494330

Unless you're trying to beat 41F for whatever reason, I'd probably just wait. My MKE purrs. I want the SD and I don't even have a good reason.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real deal suppressor.

Don't think they are importing them with suppressors. I don't think suppressors can be imported.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:10:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Don't think they are importing them with suppressors. I don't think suppressors can be imported.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Real deal suppressor.

I believe the guns will be imported sans-suppressor, and the suppressors will be made by a contractor here.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 6:38:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Wow. The SD has always been at the top of the "want" list. If this happens I'll finally dive into the MP5 clone game.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#34]
The more I price this out and figure out options, the better an MPX looks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Still wont be an MP5SD though.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:10:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s114.photobucket.com/user/gopherboy128/media/Arfcom/20140925_055255_zpso3aftkuk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/gopherboy128/Arfcom/20140925_055255_zpso3aftkuk.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s114.photobucket.com/user/gopherboy128/media/Arfcom/20140925_055255_zpso3aftkuk.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n266/gopherboy128/Arfcom/20140925_055255_zpso3aftkuk.jpg</a>

Picture. 1000 words and all that. Awesome.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:18:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More Pictures
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:25:55 PM EDT
[#38]
SD's are awesome looking machines. I have around $5200 into mine. It was build by DJ Getz from a sd parts kit. Knights Armament suppressor.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

More Pictures
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More Pictures

Ok, I'm back on the train. Wow.

Mind sharing the cost?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#40]

Borrowed "Postie"  for photo op maybe 12 yr ago...
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:07:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have both an SD and MPX. If you get the MPX first, you will too.

The MPX is a superior weapon in every way, but I wouldn't give up my SD for a second.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Mind sharing the cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

More Pictures

Mind sharing the cost?

RCM Can - $400 +$30 shipping + 8% tax and $25 transfer fee.
Jeffs labor - $1200 +$100 shipping +$25 transfer fee and 8% tax
Parts from HKParts $1900
NFA stamps $400
Engraving  $50

$4,268.40 before accessories.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The MPX is a superior weapon in every way, but I wouldn't give up my SD for a second.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed. It's just plain sexy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:02:49 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Parts from HKParts $1900
NFA stamps $400
Engraving  $50o

View Quote

Ompf.  They are working art, but it's going to take me a while to save up that kind of coin.  
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Ompf.  They are working art, but it's going to take me a while to save up that kind of coin.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Parts from HKParts $1900
NFA stamps $400
Engraving  $50o

There are cheaper options. DJ Getz was selling them cheaper, along with BMP SD uppers. I paid for the one-off custom build.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:28:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Bump for Monday, post super bowl, snow ideas. Leaning towards waiting for the MKE version, but having one built around a custom can has its draw.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#47]
These guys are suppose to make very nice MP5.  

http://www.tpmoutfitters.net/apps/webstore/

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
These guys are suppose to make very nice MP5.  

http://www.tpmoutfitters.net/apps/webstore/

View Quote

$3600 complete. Looks awesome.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#49]
I bought a flat+weldment kit, SD parts "kit" from HKPro and I had Ghillie build mine. I bought a can from TPM (Bronco75). I used a German BCG, PTR trigger parts, and I think I'm into mine for north of 3k. I love it, but it's unique and requires additional cleaning that my MP5 doesn't. I wouldn't own just an SD - I think a standard MP5 is also a requirement.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Once a parts kit is built, are the barrel threads accessible? Is the handgaurd as easy to remove as a standard MP5?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if I can have everything built except for the can, then form 1 a suppressor easily myself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 34
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top