Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/4/2016 4:52:07 PM EDT
I was thinking the Walther PPQ M22 or...a ruger 10/22 charger so I can form 1 it?

I looking for quiet fun semi auto that's easy to disassemble and suppress--looking at the griffin checkmate QD as a silencer.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Underwhelms you how? B/c it's not easy to break down?
Any current mods? There are some that most of us consider mandatory to the 22/45
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an odd suggestion. My favorite 22lr pistol for suppressed use is my SIG P226 with a SIG 22lr conversion kit installed.

Feeds flawlessly, low crap from the ejection port, large but light because the kit slide is aluminum.

Maybe one of your center fires if you don't own a SIG (SIG offers 22 kits for other SiIG models.)

JPK
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#3]
M&P 22 Compact
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:01:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any current mods? There are some that most of us consider mandatory to the 22/45
View Quote

What mods?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

What mods?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What mods?

LCI filler
MK2 bushing (improves trigger and allows mags to drop free)
VQ sear
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

No mods yet...
This is my third or fourth one in 20 years...
 1). Yeah I hate the disassembly.
 2).  I don't like how the mag bottoms interface with the gun itself--I can ever get my hand out of the way and it blocks dropping the mag.
 3).  I don't like the controls.  I especially hate safeties and this one is the worst.
 4).  I don't like the color-- it showed up as a kind of electric blue on multiple places on multiple computers but the one I got is dark purple.
 5).  It feels like a brick.

It's just preference I guess but I'd hate to put more money into it and still not like it much.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:05:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have an odd suggestion. My favorite 22lr pistol for suppressed use is my SIG P226 with a SIG 22lr conversion kit installed.

Feeds flawlessly, low crap from the ejection port, large but light because the kit slide is aluminum.

Maybe one of your center fires if you don't own a SIG (SIG offers 22 kits for other SiIG models.)

JPK
View Quote

I mainly have HK pistols.. A bluline  G17 with 3 mags would cost me $430 OTD, plus the conversion kit--probably more than I want to dump into a 22 host.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:12:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

OP, what pistol do you CCW?  If you don't mind saying, the answer may greatly influence my suggestion.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was thinking the Walther PPQ M22 or...a ruger 10/22 charger so I can form 1 it?

I looking for quiet fun semi auto that's easy to disassemble and suppress--looking at the griffin checkmate QD as a silencer.

OP, what pistol do you CCW?  If you don't mind saying, the answer may greatly influence my suggestion.

Hard shell;
 I CCW a KelTec P32

(Ready for flaming from Brad Pierson about pee-filled super soakers)!
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:14:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm kinda in your boat OP. I wouldn't say that I'm underwhelmed with the 22/45 lite though. I think it's a steaming pile of crap and don't care for the you have to shake it this way and then sacrifice a goat to get it to go back together right. It does look like you can make them usable by dropping 100 bucks or so worth of mods in them but personally I'm waiting on a threaded barrel smith and wesson victory. I wish it didn't need a tool to breakdown but it seems like overall a much better design.

Right now some people are getting their hands on the standard version. I have one of the local dealers adding a threaded barrel version to their order from smith and wesson for me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:39:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I'm kinda in your boat OP. I wouldn't say that I'm underwhelmed with the 22/45 lite though. I think it's a steaming pile of crap and don't care for the you have to shake it this way and then sacrifice a goat to get it to go back together right. It does look like you can make them usable by dropping 100 bucks or so worth of mods in them but personally I'm waiting on a threaded barrel smith and wesson victory. I wish it didn't need a tool to breakdown but it seems like overall a much better design.

Right now some people are getting their hands on the standard version. I have one of the local dealers adding a threaded barrel version to their order from smith and wesson for me.
View Quote

Unless they make the barrel shorter, I have no interest in a 5.5" threaded barrel Victory as it won't keep bulk pack ammo subsonic.

The M&P 22 Compact has actually been a pretty fun shooter so that's probably worth a look.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:53:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Hard shell;
 I CCW a KelTec P32

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hard shell;
 I CCW a KelTec P32

haha, I've got a S&W 442 on me full time and I sure as hell know arfcom doesn't really approve of 5 shot .38s
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:00:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
 1). Yeah I hate the disassembly. - Disassembly is SLIGHTLY better if you take the mag safety out.
 2).  I don't like how the mag bottoms interface with the gun itself--I can ever get my hand out of the way and it blocks dropping the mag. - There is a mod for that.  I took a file and sandpaper to the cleaned it up to work much better.  Also, the mag disconnect prevents the mag from dropping free.  That can be removed.
 3).  I don't like the controls.  I especially hate safeties and this one is the worst. - You can remove the mag disconnect and you don't have to use the thumb safety or key safety.  You can also remove the loaded chamber jam inducer/indicator.
 4).  I don't like the color-- it showed up as a kind of electric blue on multiple places on multiple computers but the one I got is dark purple. - I take it you bought it online!
 5).  It feels like a brick. - Your mileage may vary, but it feels exactly like a 1911 to me.
View Quote

All of that said, I have both a 22/45 lite and a M&P 22 compact.  That S&W is a very nice gun, but also has its issues.  To disassemble it, you must remove the thread adapter.  This is not a step that is necessary for the Ruger.  That means you need a tool to break it loose.  There is VERY little margin for wrench flats on the sides of the adapter and the wrench flats go where the slide interfaces with the barrel.  I would consider the EWK thread adapter.  Works well for me.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#14]
The 22 pistol I have been taking to the range almost every time I go is the M&P22.  I have a Browning and a MkII with TacSol goodies on both, but the M&P has been more enjoyable lately.  For rifle, how about a 10/22 TD or a PWS Summit T3??
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I like my buckmark.  I have a MKIII also.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#17]
If you're going to be form 1ing it, then how about a gsg 522 pistol.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:03:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All of that said, I have both a 22/45 lite and a M&P 22 compact.  That S&W is a very nice gun, but also has its issues.  To disassemble it, you must remove the thread adapter.  This is not a step that is necessary for the Ruger.  That means you need a tool to break it loose.  There is VERY little margin for wrench flats on the sides of the adapter and the wrench flats go where the slide interfaces with the barrel.  I would consider the EWK thread adapter.  Works well for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
 1). Yeah I hate the disassembly. - Disassembly is SLIGHTLY better if you take the mag safety out.
 2).  I don't like how the mag bottoms interface with the gun itself--I can ever get my hand out of the way and it blocks dropping the mag. - There is a mod for that.  I took a file and sandpaper to the cleaned it up to work much better.  Also, the mag disconnect prevents the mag from dropping free.  That can be removed.
 3).  I don't like the controls.  I especially hate safeties and this one is the worst. - You can remove the mag disconnect and you don't have to use the thumb safety or key safety.  You can also remove the loaded chamber jam inducer/indicator.
 4).  I don't like the color-- it showed up as a kind of electric blue on multiple places on multiple computers but the one I got is dark purple. - I take it you bought it online!
 5).  It feels like a brick. - Your mileage may vary, but it feels exactly like a 1911 to me.

Yep, I recommend this adapter also.  Works very well and is easy to remove for cleaning the gun.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#19]
PPQ .22 is a lot of fun and probably my favorite host.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:59:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
M&P 22 Compact
View Quote

yes.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

LCI filler
VQ sear
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What mods?

LCI filler
VQ sear

+1 to all that too
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Cheetah.  Don't mess around.  Just do it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:36:10 PM EDT
[#23]
browning buckmark is what you want.

here
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:42:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Why the M&P compact?
Shorter barrel to keep bulk pack subsonic?

I like Buckmarks, but aren't the Tac Sol threaded barrels like over $200?
The linked BM is nice, but everything I have read here states that 4.5" should be the max to keep bulk pack subsonic.  They went an inch too far with that one.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Aforementioned models I have tried and put in the category of underwhelmed:
 1)  NEOS
 2)  Mosquito
 3)  S&W 22A (try to find a threaded barrel).
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:48:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Why the M&P compact?

The linked BM is nice, but everything I have read here states that 4.5" should be the max to keep bulk pack subsonic.  They went an inch too far with that one.
View Quote

just use this
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:56:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I have the 5.5" Tacsol on my Buckmark and it stays subsonic with most ammo, you could always thread a regular Buckmark barrel to any length you want.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:05:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
+1 to all that too
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What mods?

LCI filler

VQ sear

+1 to all that too
Did not know about the LCI filler.  This thread just cost me $20

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:31:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What mods?

LCI filler
VQ sear

+1 to all that too

$20 is piss in a bucket in this game. Call me when there are some more zeros
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:50:38 PM EDT
[#30]
If you can wait until reliability reports from production units start coming in, the new S&W SW22 Victory looks like it will make a great host.  I know a few people who have had pre-production units for a while who love them.  Volquartsen already makes barrels for them, too.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:55:57 PM EDT
[#31]
OK, so I have funds to spend at Cabela's.  (gift cards, points, etc.) of about $200.
No xfer or shipping saves me another $40.

Here is what I am looking at:
 1)  10/22 TD charger will be about $200 OTD for me.  Can I SBR this somehow later?
 2)  10/22 TD with flash suppressor about $200 OTD.  (Yes, this is a rifle--SBR later?).
 3)  10/22 non TD ITAC about $200 OTD. (Yes, this is a rifle--SBR later?).
 4)  Buckmark camper stainless about $200 OTD  + tac sol barrel is another $190-$200. $50 rebate on the pistol if I can find one in stock, too.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Originally Posted By rebelcovehunter

What mods?

LCI filler

VQ sear

+1 to all that too

You ain't just whistlin' Dixie there! This $20 follows the money already spent on the complete Volquartsen accurizing kit and an Element 2 suppressor... and worth every penny

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#33]
^ I think so too

Quoted:
If you can wait until reliability reports from production units start coming in, the new S&W SW22 Victory looks like it will make a great host.  I know a few people who have had pre-production units for a while who love them.  Volquartsen already makes barrels for them, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3A_Ld6t9bo
View Quote

+$100 to chop that barrel
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a Glock frame off Gunbroker and an Advantage Arms kit.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:49:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:44:12 AM EDT
[#37]

Honestly a $299 police trade in G22 might be better. I'm seeing frames for $225. I bet you can sell the trade in slide and barrel for more than $75
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:48:54 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Why the M&P compact?

View Quote

I have the linked buckmark. Shoots everything and it stays subsonic for me. Very happy with it so far. It has a dedicated sparrow on it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:54:46 AM EDT
[#39]
Threaded ppk/s 22?  I think Capitol Armory has them for under 400.00
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:41:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Do you even ADCO, Bro?   (originally a quote from hardshell).

I have not adco'd yet and unfortunately just sold my 22A to buy the 22/45.  :(

As far as the Glock route, I may consider that yet.  

Now there are too many options--but in budget for me means spending about $200 out of pocket at cabela's.

The base buckmark at cabela's has me around $150 out of pocket and then I could snag a threaded barrel later...how quiet are buckmarks suppressed?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 11:53:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Volquartsen LLV upper on your Ruger lower.  Get the threaded 4.5inch version.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:52:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Wait till the M&P 22's go on sale at Cabelas and then snag one.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:02:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Buckmark.
Advantage Arms conversion/Glock.
Find a used S&W 2213 or one of the variants, add EWK threaded barrel nut. They homely little pistols but a fun suppressor host.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#44]

yup

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:00:12 PM EDT
[#45]
I went with the basic buck mark from Cabela's.  They gave me an additional 5% off for being a vet.  So after $50 browning rebate I'm into it for $165.

Now I'm searching for a 4" Tac Sol (or other ) barrel and magazines.

Any advice on aftermarket threaded barrels?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:45:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
PPQ .22 is a lot of fun and probably my favorite host.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Maybe I'll just have to get one of those too!
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

^ I think so too

View All Quotes
Quoted:

^ I think so too

Quoted:

They offer it threaded.

Link Posted: 2/11/2016 12:08:39 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They offer it threaded.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
^ I think so too

Quoted:

They offer it threaded.

I meant to 4.5" to guarantee it stays subsonic
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top