Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 1:10:30 PM EDT
What does the Omega brake acutally do? Does it do anything really or just take it off and use an end cap?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:28:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I use an Omega with the brake on a 6.8 and it actually does reduce recoil and muzzle rise. There isn't much of either to begin with, but the Omega does help.

JPK
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:26:54 PM EDT
[#2]
same thing a non-suppressed muzzle brake is supposed to do
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:03:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Anecdotal:  I was shooting groups on a 308 Ruger American Predator using my Omega with brake.  After shooting all day with the suppressor on, I took it off to test POI change.  I was completely unprepared for the amount of recoil that was present after shooting with the brake all day long.  With the Omega on, it felt like shooting a 223.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 5:16:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:11:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anecdotal:  I was shooting groups on a 308 Ruger American Predator using my Omega with brake.  After shooting all day with the suppressor on, I took it off to test POI change.  I was completely unprepared for the amount of recoil that was present after shooting with the brake all day long.  With the Omega on, it felt like shooting a 223.
View Quote

IM sent.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did that with my 30-06 and my Harvester. It's mind blowing how much that brake help.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:08:18 AM EDT
[#7]
What about 300 BLK? Does anyone have any experience with the brake versus the flat end cap?

I was hoping to use the flat end cap to save a little length but I like that the brake will possibly make a difference when shooting.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:38:01 AM EDT
[#8]
The anchor brake really keeps the rifle flat, as well as changing the tone to being lower than the endcap.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:50:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What about 300 BLK? Does anyone have any experience with the brake versus the flat end cap?

I was hoping to use the flat end cap to save a little length but I like that the brake will possibly make a difference when shooting.
View Quote

I feel with my 16" thread on Harvester has more recoil than my 14.5 with pinned brake and Omega with flat cap.  Now that is an opinion but the brake definitely does something. (I've never shot my Omega with the brake attached)

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:16:41 PM EDT
[#10]
If you are using the Omega with the QD over  a comp what would be the results?
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:51:11 PM EDT
[#11]
I actually tested this out the other day on a 308 bolt gun for noise comparison. It sounded slightly quieter/different tone with the brake but nobody thought it was worth the length penalty so I run the flat end cap. Sounded quieter than the 9" Harvester too, but not material in a hunting situation.

I wasn't shooting so can't comment on the recoil difference. In direct thread at 6" is where it seems to rise above the other cans in my opinion. Great suppression, accurate, light weight, and short. I guess put the brake on if you need to shoot multiple shots and recoil is important.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top