Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 1:04:39 AM EDT
I thought I was going for an Octane, then these new modular cans come out of nowhere. I'm trying to decide which way to go now. Is the Ghost that much better?
Want to use it for pistols, 300 Blackout subs, perhaps pistol caliber carbine later.
What can y'all tell me?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I thought I was going for an Octane, then these new modular cans come out of nowhere. I'm trying to decide which way to go now. Is the Ghost that much better?
Want to use it for pistols, 300 Blackout subs, perhaps pistol caliber carbine later.
What can y'all tell me?
View Quote

Ghost > Obsidian > Revolution > Octane in my opinion, because I like the wipe feature of the Ghost, the construction and warranty of the Ghost, Obsidian, and Octane, and the modularity of the Ghost, Obsidian and Revolution.

However, for the additional money that the Ghost currently commands, I would pick the Obsidian, followed by the Revolution. I don't think I'd be a buyer of the Ghost because of the cost, or the Octane because it's the oldest of the bunch and the others are all improvements on it.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Right now it's Ghost or Octane due to what I can find in stock locally. Obsidian seems to be unobtainium, even to order in.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Ghosts are starting to trickle in. Rugged is busting their asses making more of everything, but no eta to distros yet.  Octanes are available now.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:38:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ghosts are starting to trickle in. Rugged is busting their asses making more of everything, but no eta to distros yet.  Octanes are available now.
View Quote

Can we get a video review of the ghost-m pretty please
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Ghost > Obsidian > Revolution > Octane in my opinion, because I like the wipe feature of the Ghost, the construction and warranty of the Ghost, Obsidian, and Octane, and the modularity of the Ghost, Obsidian and Revolution.

However, for the additional money that the Ghost currently commands, I would pick the Obsidian, followed by the Revolution. I don't think I'd be a buyer of the Ghost because of the cost, or the Octane because it's the oldest of the bunch and the others are all improvements on it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What can y'all tell me?

Link to released specs for ghost that rank better than obsidian?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:44:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I own the Octane and I feel the same way you do about the three newer cans above.  I like the Optimus for 9mm cans.  It is the current-generation Griffin.  Hard to compare the Rev45 which is an older generation to the current gen Ghost and Obsidian.  I would think an Optimus in .45 would be competitive.  Since I don't own a 9mm can, I think the Optimus might take the place of my Octane for 9mm, .223, 22 lr, 300 blackout, etc. applications that I currently use either a 30 cal or 45 can for.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 12:45:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not entirely sure the Ghost and Obsidian are going to perform much different.  The features, construction, and intangibles are what would set it apart.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What can y'all tell me?

He didn't say it was ranked better. He put it first in his opinion because he likes the wipe feature. He then put the ghost and obsidian in the same categories for

construction, warranty, and modularity.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Ghost, but I am biased.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm pretty much sold on the ghost just trying to find one in state within driving distance so I can avoid a form 3.

I figure it's a safe bet for an all around pistol can.  Choosing a rifle can is another story.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I am just clinging to old-school train of thought here ... but I do NOT like the modular cans.  Just one more thing to come loose while shooting.  One more threaded tolerance to stack.  One more thing to remember to Loktite.  I'd rather have two cans, a short and long configuration, than one that tries to do it all.

And not to bash on Dead Air, Rugged, etc. but I would go with SilencerCo or Griffin as they have been around significantly longer.  You have a better chance of them still being key players in this market 5-10 years from now.

I do not think ANY of the above are a bad choice.  And as far as suppression goes - they all are so close it is splitting hairs.  Change one variable and a can that metered best on Day 1 may meter worst on Day 2.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:32:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Pulling the trigger on a Ghost-M from local dealer Andrew @ Lone Star Armory in Ft. Worth.

Said we can even test fire it on my pistol when the form 3 clears and the shipment arrives from Dead Air  

My first can so my impressions won't hold much weight but I'll report back.  

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:15:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Right now it's Ghost or Octane due to what I can find in stock locally. Obsidian seems to be unobtainium, even to order in.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

In that case, I would go with the Ghost for the wipe, construction, and modularity over the Octane. Also, the Ghost is purported to have a very low-backpressure design. The Octane is well known to have extremely high backpressure, making it suck to shoot on a lot of hosts.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What can y'all tell me?

He didn't say it was ranked better. He put it first in his opinion because he likes the wipe feature. He then put the ghost and obsidian in the same categories for

construction, warranty, and modularity.

You took the words right out of my mouth. People seem to read what they want to.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Ghost.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 3:27:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
And not to bash on Dead Air, Rugged, etc. but I would go with SilencerCo or Griffin as they have been around significantly longer.  You have a better chance of them still being key players in this market 5-10 years from now.
View Quote

I don't think anyone here can really make that judgement call. By the way, SilencerCo has only been around six years. Don't get me wrong, they've made a massive splash in that time. But I don't think SilencerCo, Griffin, Dead Air, Rugged, Gemtech, YHM, TBAC, Surefire, KAC, and others are going to close up shop any time soon. Additionally, some of the geniuses behind SilencerCo have now left to form the aforementioned Dead Air and Rugged. These guys know what they're doing, and there's enough room in the marketplace for all of these companies.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Ghost-M.

In the grand scheme and over the balance of your life owning the can, $150 is nothing that should stop you if it's what you want.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:12:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

If we all did this starting in the 90's I would think development would stall out and we'd just have a bunch of heavy, single caliber cans from a few manufacturers instead of the variety of options on the market now?

Quoted:
Ghost-M.

In the grand scheme and over the balance of your life owning the can, $150 is nothing that should stop you if it's what you want.

The shorter 'short' mode and wipes plus the lighter aluminium end baffles in 'long' configuration were what sold me.  I'm assuming numbers will be equal.  

That said I know I could have gotten an obsidian actually in my hands a little sooner and the off chance that it's numbers best the ghost by some meaningful amount.  

Now to fret over what rifle can to get.  There appear to be a lot more trade offs to consider between length, weight, durability(minimum barrel length).
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:45:03 AM EDT
[#18]
I also could have allocated the Obsidian sooner than the Ghost, but I'm glad I have the Ghost in process. Now the wait......
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:16:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:I don't think anyone here can really make that judgement call.
View Quote

In my short time dealing in the suppressor world, I have never found so many consumers making judgement calls on products that they haven't laid their hands on like no other industry LMFAO
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:In my short time dealing in the suppressor world, I have never found so many consumers making judgement calls on products that they haven't laid their hands on like no other industry LMFAO
View Quote

So, I assume that in your world only suppressors that are handled are bought?  You don't live in the same world most modern suppressor buyers live in.  If only judgments based on ownership were allowed, there would be a whole lot of nothing to go by when buying new cans.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

In my short time dealing in the suppressor world, I have never found so many consumers making judgement calls on products that they haven't laid their hands on like no other industry LMFAO
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Indeed, but I think A LOT of purchases happen that way. At least with suppressors, you have faith in the product or the people behind the product. It's similar to how people buy a car or house. You don't get to live in the house before you buy it. You don't get to commute in that car before you buy it. You take a leap of faith by being an informed consumer With Rugged and Dead Air, the community gets to support some guys that have been around and through investors, are working to make the products they want. to make. That's a huge plus in my book. They may not be at the same company as  when they were designing top of the line products and industry leading no-bs customer service, but those traits are CLEARLY shining through in their new endeavors.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

About what companies are going to be key players in 5-10 years? 5 years ago, SilencerCo made one .22 suppressor. Dead Air and Rugged didn't exist yet. AAC was ubiquitous. Surefire only made silencers that cost a fortune.

You can take what I said out of context, but that's not very useful.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The people at Rugged have been around longer than all those others combined.

Quoted:
I do not think ANY of the above are a bad choice. And as far as suppression goes - they all are so close it is splitting hairs. Change one variable and a can that metered best on Day 1 may meter worst on Day 2.

Agree 100%.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too.

If it is new almost nobody has touched it (outside of SHOT) and unproven it must be the best!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 6:02:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Having never seen or shot any of them I will say I like idea of the wipe for the ghost. Especially for HD use. If it performed like a wet can without the mess and ready to go at anytime it would probably be worth the extra $150 to me.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:28:55 PM EDT
[#26]
The PEOPLE, not the company.  Just because you have the right tech-oriented guys - does not equaly success.  Look at Gordan Ingram...

I hate to say it, but for legacy-tech support - you want the company with the strongest backbone.  I will give up 1-3dB for support in the future.  Call it a gamble or risk, but I call it a safe move.  Today's 10 may be tomorrows 2.  And tomorrows 2 MAY become the next day's 10.  But I will go with the brand who WAS a 10 and made some serious cash-flow.  It is more conducive to long-term product support.  Whether it is guns, cans, trucks, cars, or mother-effin-tacos.  I love Tacos.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:17:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:At least with suppressors, you have faith in the product or the people behind the product. It's similar to how people buy a car or house. You don't get to live in the house before you buy it. You don't get to commute in that car before you buy it. You take a leap of faith by being an informed consumer With Rugged and Dead Air, the community gets to support some guys that have been around and through investors, are working to make the products they want. to make. That's a huge plus in my book. They may not be at the same company as  when they were designing top of the line products and industry leading no-bs customer service, but those traits are CLEARLY shining through in their new endeavors.
View Quote

When one buys a car or a house, does one not take a test drive before they buy the car or do a home inspection prior to signing the paperwork to own the house?

I just find it kind of funny how people say you can tell how a suppressor sounds by watching a video (which I honestly believe is the case), but man, when it's a new product from a stand up guy, people HERE are hollaring how great the suppressor sounds on the video.

I honestly think that if you had to have a stamp for shit and wait 4 months for it, put out a cool video, put it up on a good looking poster, and it will be the best shit out there

That said, the supressor market is interesting per consumer reviews because generally when a product is intruduced into market, consumers can generally get their hands on them to write up reviews what they think of them (let alone have to pay a flat rate tax of $200 for each single item purchased by the consumer).  Do I think Dead Air or Rugged or a host of other manufacturers make inferior quality product?  Hell no.  I just find it amusing that before anyone can actually get their hands on the product they're proclaiming it the best thing since slice bread.

I still remember doing research online, looking for personal opinions on a particular model and came across a guy who could not believe one suppressor sounded better than his newly aquired suppressor, and that EVERY source of information he came across stated that his suppressor should be more quiet, but it wasn't (he even sent it back to the manufacturer for testing and they told him nothing was "off" per sound level).  Funny thing was that the guy stated he was happy with his suppressor, but just couldn't believe it was louder.  

For myself, I've just come to the conclusion that there are so many variables that play into how a suppressor performs, added that every person's hearing is different on how they percieve the sound to be that it's next to impossible to say one model is so much better than another model.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Anybody out there seem any numbers for the Ghost?

The more I read, the more I'm leaning towards waiting for an Obsidian. So little info available on the Ghost. Nothing about other pistons, spacers, direct thread, 3 lug, etc. Surely they will become available but how far down the road. Obsidian can use SiCo pieces.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Guess I'm out of it. I was considering an a .45 Octane since I already have an Osprey in .45 and 9mm and an Octanne in 9mm, which I could swipe the three lug barrel adapter for my last stamp purchase before 41p takes effect. Funny thing it's not in stock at SS.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#30]
The only thing that hat is certain is that whatever can you choose will be outdated next year.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

The only thing that hat is certain is that whatever can you choose will be outdated next year.
View Quote
I'm sure eventually the new regulations will weed out quite a few people. It just seems like a little too much, the tax stamp, the wait and now fingerprints, passport pictures for everyone on the trust and for every transfer (purchase).
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Guess I'm out of it. I was considering an a .45 Octane since I already have an Osprey in .45 and 9mm and an Octanne in 9mm, which I could swipe the three lug barrel adapter for my last stamp purchase before 41p takes effect. Funny thing it's not in stock at SS.
View Quote

Evidently SilencerShop is no longer a Silencerco dealer.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's on their website, just says out of stock. Are you sure ?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:34:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I recall having read it here on Arf somewhere, which by itself means nothing. Also told by a local SilencersShop direct dealer that that was the case. Could I be repeating incorrect information? Possibly.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:38:39 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, , but if he's not sure, I am. Currently SilencerCo is not doing business with SS.

Link Posted: 2/6/2016 10:46:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Ti-rant was king of the hill for a WHILE. New doesn't always mean better, just more hype
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top