Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:50:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Everything in green, thanks.
View Quote

Looks like the FAQ sections has what you need.  It states that they are, but if you are using belt feds to use MG line models.  

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Is the octagon shape only for cosmetic reasons, or is there a performance advantage?

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 4:46:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Looks like the FAQ sections has what you need.  It states that they are, but if you are using belt feds to use MG line models.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The FAQ section didn't answer a single one of my questions.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 11:39:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is the octagon shape only for cosmetic reasons, or is there a performance advantage?

View Quote

Supposedly it helps with the mirage effect cans have when they get hot and obscure the shooters view/line of sight when aiming.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my 762 OSS out of jail yesterday. First thoughts - I noticed the Cerakote job wasn't the best. As I took it down a bit, I found that the machining was nice in most areas, but there were some burrs that were not cleaned up. I'll take some pictures this evening. I also found that it didn't necessarily want to come apart very easily. The flash hider muzzle brake (fhmb) is the reflex part that comes over the barrel. On the end of that inner sleeve is the blast module. The outer tube screws down over the complete fhmb and this is the Back Pressure Regulator (bpr). From there, you add the sound reduction module (srm), tighten and time it, then tighten down the end cap. It sounds complex, and it is, a little.

There is definitely a lot of machining and threading that happens in here, and they all turn the same way.
When I unscrewed the upper srm from the bpr, there was no issue (good)
When I unscrewed the bpr from the barrel, the whole bpr came off (good)
I wasn't able to get the fhmb to unscrew from the inside of the bpr very easily. I had to put it on another barrel, hold the fhmb tip that peeks out of the front, then turn the bpr outer sleeve - almost needs 3 hands (bad)
I got it, but the sharper angles will definitely take a toll on your hands if you;re not careful. I used a shop rag, but a tool would help here (bad)
I got the outer sleeve off leaving the fhmb exposed. My attempts to unscrew this from the barrel resulted in the actual blast module unscrewing first. (bad)
That left the very base of the fhmb module on the barrel. If it's under a rail, that will be difficult to get to, so use a spanner wrench in the grooves and remove. (bad)

This will likely be a bear to get apart when it's caked with carbon. I'm hoping OSS Suppressors chimes in here but I'm considering the silicone oil treatment to ensure ease of use, takedown, and cleanability.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 1:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got my 762 OSS out of jail yesterday. First thoughts - I noticed the Cerakote job wasn't the best. As I took it down a bit, I found that the machining was nice in most areas, but there were some burrs that were not cleaned up. I'll take some pictures this evening. I also found that it didn't necessarily want to come apart very easily. The flash hider muzzle brake (fhmb) is the reflex part that comes over the barrel. On the end of that inner sleeve is the blast module. The outer tube screws down over the complete fhmb and this is the Back Pressure Regulator (bpr). From there, you add the sound reduction module (srm), tighten and time it, then tighten down the end cap. It sounds complex, and it is, a little.

There is definitely a lot of machining and threading that happens in here, and they all turn the same way.
I wasn't able to get the fhmb to unscrew from the inside of the bpr very easily. I had to put it on another barrel, hold the fhmb tip that peeks out of the front, then turn the bpr outer sleeve - almost needs 3 hands (bad)
I got it, but the sharper angles will definitely take a toll on your hands if you;re not careful. I used a shop rag, but a tool would help here (bad)
I got the outer sleeve off leaving the fhmb exposed. My attempts to unscrew this from the barrel resulted in the actual blast module unscrewing first. (bad)
That left the very base of the fhmb module on the barrel. If it's under a rail, that will be difficult to get to, so use a spanner wrench in the grooves and remove. (bad)

This will likely be a bear to get apart when it's caked with carbon. I'm hoping OSS Suppressors chimes in here but I'm considering the silicone oil treatment to ensure ease of use, takedown, and cleanability.
View Quote

Tag for future reading
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I own a first generation OSS in 762.  One of the reasons I bought it was the perceived modularity.   I could use it on my 762 semi rifles and then on my 556 full autos.   Well I can't buy the pieces to use what I have on 556.   I was lead to believe that was going to be the case.  My dealer has nothing to tell me and can't get in contact with OSS.   I'm hoping that by posting here I'll get an answer.    

So basically I shoot it very seldom.  

I have a Saker that I abuse.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:01:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I own a first generation OSS in 762.  One of the reasons I bought it was the perceived modularity.   I could use it on my 762 semi rifles and then on my 556 full autos.   Well I can't buy the pieces to use what I have on 556.   I was lead to believe that was going to be the case.  My dealer has nothing to tell me and can't get in contact with OSS.   I'm hoping that by posting here I'll get an answer.    

View Quote

Can't get ie AAC latches and ATF horseshit or can't get ie... AAC other parts? Haha
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have two questions about them.

1) Are they as quiet as a similarly sized suppressor with traditional baffles?

2) Do they significantly reduce back pressure?  

View Quote

No.  Yes.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 5:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Perhaps I misunderstood then.  When he mentioned baffle designs....I assumed he was talking about baffle designs?  Our suppressors don't use baffles, so I assumed he was speaking about everybody else?

The mission of OSS was to create a suppressor that had no adverse effects on the weapon system suppressed or un-suppressed.  To create a suppressor with virtually no back pressure increase, no bolt velocity increase, no increased fowling, better thermal dynamics, all while being hear safe.  To design a suppressor that the firearm didn't know it was wearing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not what he's asking. He asked if low backpressure was the goal of the OSS design or if it was a byproduct of the OSS design.

Perhaps I misunderstood then.  When he mentioned baffle designs....I assumed he was talking about baffle designs?  Our suppressors don't use baffles, so I assumed he was speaking about everybody else?

The mission of OSS was to create a suppressor that had no adverse effects on the weapon system suppressed or un-suppressed.  To create a suppressor with virtually no back pressure increase, no bolt velocity increase, no increased fowling, better thermal dynamics, all while being hear safe.  To design a suppressor that the firearm didn't know it was wearing.

The pitch your sales guy gave me at a demo was that cans issued to SF teams were blowing apart in firefights more often than not and that the designers were trying to make a can that wouldn't blow apart.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:08:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same here. Luckily I did not pull the trigger and buy one. I could never get a straight answer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Same here. Luckily I did not pull the trigger and buy one. I could never get a straight answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea.   I bought it at full retail to boot.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:21:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drunken NFA purchase or what? Nobody should pay full retail for any product
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.  I'm not buying things retail (I first look on the EE now).  Also I'm not going to buy anything that's generation one either.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:14:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

True.  I'm not buying things retail (I first look on the EE now).  Also I'm not going to buy anything that's generation one either.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ehh, proprietary gen 1 things, maybe
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:46:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ok, here are the pictures I mentioned earlier. Note, this is the 1275 (2.75" over the barrel) and not the 1425 (4.25" over the barrel). It was what was available at the time. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.
Here is the 300blk sbr I put it on. The upper is one of the 10.5 DSG uppers from the Black Friday 2014 sale.

Comparison to a 16" upper (LWRC with an MCSR rail)

Size comparison to a Specwar 762 on and off the rifle

Note the machining issues

Outer sleeve removed from the BPR leaving the FHMB - SRM already removed and placed aside

The end removed from the FHMB module

Spanner wrench needed to remove this part from the barrel.

The barrel threads after the eventual removal process.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: All kinds of good info....

View Quote

The big question on everyone's mind, how does it sound compared to the SpecWar?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Ok, here are the pictures I mentioned earlier. Note, this is the 1275 (2.75" over the barrel) and not the 1425 (4.25" over the barrel). It was what was available at the time. Let me know if you have any questions and I'll try to answer them.
Here is the 300blk sbr I put it on. The upper is one of the 10.5 DSG uppers from the Black Friday 2014 sale.
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/CE88BE2F-4A27-46E3-BB96-8081545E9763_zpsbuousxap.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/C01281C8-E542-4D24-A15E-23FE947D2DED_zps0wstjbwc.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/E4E57955-6F14-4AA2-939F-9DB5DD16B89B_zpsvqd2xny0.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/A57CE0FB-A99C-4A5F-A922-3D569BCCE656_zpsu9p9e0ra.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/E7C37831-5635-4123-8828-31A2E5B88CA8_zpsl7sg9eol.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/8578B0B6-3395-49B5-AC7D-12B628F7C2A5_zpsbdslaoe7.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/BE7D84E8-1507-4929-9DC9-F60047CEEF3C_zpsbqipmih9.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/07993DED-759A-419A-9059-B920C6BE6740_zps2uytodhr.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/46F02042-2B7A-46C4-AF52-C5E0822CBF6C_zpsgpbkqgwj.jpg

Outer sleeve removed from the BPR leaving the FHMB - SRM already removed and placed aside
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/D467FB10-1D75-443B-A82A-ED490D178DF7_zpsy1d6uzvd.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/9A8217E7-D875-4C77-AA5F-3E130075347F_zpsnfe3cuhd.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/5DDC3785-48DE-410E-961C-7829FC4D7784_zpsiq8bgq27.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/DAF4DF10-ABEE-4DDF-8EE9-928A712C1679_zps2wnfhhym.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/CE88BE2F-4A27-46E3-BB96-8081545E9763_zpsbuousxap.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/C01281C8-E542-4D24-A15E-23FE947D2DED_zps0wstjbwc.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/E4E57955-6F14-4AA2-939F-9DB5DD16B89B_zpsvqd2xny0.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/A57CE0FB-A99C-4A5F-A922-3D569BCCE656_zpsu9p9e0ra.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/E7C37831-5635-4123-8828-31A2E5B88CA8_zpsl7sg9eol.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/8578B0B6-3395-49B5-AC7D-12B628F7C2A5_zpsbdslaoe7.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/BE7D84E8-1507-4929-9DC9-F60047CEEF3C_zpsbqipmih9.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/07993DED-759A-419A-9059-B920C6BE6740_zps2uytodhr.jpg
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/46F02042-2B7A-46C4-AF52-C5E0822CBF6C_zpsgpbkqgwj.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/D467FB10-1D75-443B-A82A-ED490D178DF7_zpsy1d6uzvd.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/9A8217E7-D875-4C77-AA5F-3E130075347F_zpsnfe3cuhd.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/5DDC3785-48DE-410E-961C-7829FC4D7784_zpsiq8bgq27.jpg

http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af86/cgamer1/OSS%201275%20762/DAF4DF10-ABEE-4DDF-8EE9-928A712C1679_zps2wnfhhym.jpg

Damn! Talk about Friday afternoon deburr......
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 11:52:17 AM EDT
[#19]

Ouch.  Although with the incredible amount of machining work to build these i can see where skipping final items like this is needed to cut down on labor/machine cost....to stay competitive.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:31:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds like an exaggeration to say the least, and a bit misleading. I apologize for how we may have been represented.  Certainly baffle cans are not "blowing apart" in the field.  The last thing we want is our credibility damaged because of statements like these.  

In the future we will be releasing a lot more video content, and testing data to help consumers understand our products.  If you have any questions and you would prefer to IM me personally, I'd be happy to answer them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's not what he's asking. He asked if low backpressure was the goal of the OSS design or if it was a byproduct of the OSS design.

The pitch your sales guy gave me at a demo was that cans issued to SF teams were blowing apart in firefights more often than not and that the designers were trying to make a can that wouldn't blow apart.

Sounds like an exaggeration to say the least, and a bit misleading. I apologize for how we may have been represented.  Certainly baffle cans are not "blowing apart" in the field.  The last thing we want is our credibility damaged because of statements like these.  

In the future we will be releasing a lot more video content, and testing data to help consumers understand our products.  If you have any questions and you would prefer to IM me personally, I'd be happy to answer them.

The damage to credibility happened when he said it, especially considering the content of the crowd hearing it.   Spending as much time pitching Fire clean as the suppressor didn't help.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:35:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
If you have any questions and you would prefer to IM me personally, I'd be happy to answer them.
View Quote

Whats wrong with answering questions on this thread?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:41:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: All kinds of good info....

I think we are going to figure that out soon. Now that I have it in my possession, we can meet up and go test it. I should have the 556 1425 model at my dealer soon, so if we wait just a little, we can test all of them against all of the cans you have as well as the ones I'll bring along. Email coming later today.

I'll be honest, I thought I would get some acknowledgment from OSS on the machining or take down process.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#26]
If OSS wants to send me a free can I'll be glad to post detailed reviews ;)

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#27]
So, OSS...any answers to my previous questions? Since you've come back to the thread multiple times now.

And I'd like to add a few more. From your website:

OSHA and the US Military recognize hearing safe decibel levels as <140dB. Most baffle suppressors have reported measurement levels of at least 138db.

The baffle industry uses a testing methodology that measures dB with microphone placement 1 meter to the right of the muzzle.

At OSS we believe this results in dB levels that, while meeting industry standards, do not reflect real world experience.  Instead we measure dB levels for our Flow-Through suppression systems at the shooters ear.

OSS suppression systems can deliver sound levels as low as 138dB – well below hearing safe.

And with OSS’s modular suppression systems, operators can combine different BPRs and SRMs to achieve the sound signature required for their mission.
View Quote

1. "At least 138 dB" and "as low as 138 dB" mean the exact same thing. Do you agree?
2. Do you really believe 138 dB is "well below hearing safe"?
3. I always see testing done to the left of the muzzle. Can you clarify this?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:50:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

more port noise from the right side of a gas gun?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I remember that "selling point". It was patronizing and beyond absurd; and the spokesperson's position was always "I was with a prestigious Army unit so I know what I'm talking about."

IIRC it was posted either here or the old snipers hide. I'm trying to find it right now.
View Quote
Sounds like the same guy.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:56:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm really on the fence about the $449 ones from Jake
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, questioning OSS's statement that testing is done one meter to the right of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 4:19:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 7:18:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Thanks for the answers.

I would wholeheartedly disagree that 138 dB should ever be represented as hearing safe. OSHA guidelines state that employees shouldn't be exposed to sound levels above 140 dB. That's completely different than saying 138 dB is fine for your hearing. Hearing protection should still be worn at that sound level.

If you should still be wearing hearing protection, that's not hearing safe.

I think it's dangerous, erroneous, and misleading to claim 138 dB is "hearing safe."

ETA for the chart that's been posted here recently:

Claiming that something which you shouldn't be exposed to for even ONE SECOND is "safe" is like saying playing with liquid mercury with your bare hands is "safe."
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for the answers.

I would wholeheartedly disagree that 138 dB should ever be represented as hearing safe. OSHA guidelines state that employees shouldn't be exposed to sound levels above 140 dB. That's completely different than saying 138 dB is fine for your hearing. Hearing protection should still be worn at that sound level.

I think it's dangerous, erroneous, and misleading to claim 138 dB is "hearing safe."

http://www.avicennajmed.com/articles/2011/1/2/images/AvicennaJMed_2011_1_2_35_90914_b2.jpg

Claiming that something which you shouldn't be exposed to for even ONE SECOND is "safe" is like saying playing with liquid mercury with your bare hands is "safe."
View Quote

I agree with everything you've said.  Unfortunately this isn't exclusive to OSS.  All the other manufacturers do the same thing and market anything <140 as "hearing safe."
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I agree with everything you've said.  Unfortunately this isn't exclusive to OSS.  All the other manufacturers do the same thing and market anything <140 as "hearing safe."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the answers.

http://www.avicennajmed.com/articles/2011/1/2/images/AvicennaJMed_2011_1_2_35_90914_b2.jpg

Agreed. Just bringing it up with OSS here since this is the OSS thread. I looked around and only saw one other manufacturer who claims "hearing safe" for centerfire rifle silencers - I would assume there's more, but it doesn't appear to be common practice.
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 1:21:15 AM EDT
[#36]
First double-tap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 6:37:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lets start from the top.

1: Regarding testing with bolt action models. Yes we will do this, especially with our bolt action line 7.62 suppressors.

2: Materials can very depending on the model.  But generally speaking, the suppressors are made out of a lot of titanium, some stainless, and some cobalt.

3: Reason for not having 5" cans being 1.5" in diameter and weighting 14 oz is because Flow-Through suppression technology requires a bit more space for the linear expansion of gas over more surface area to result in a hearing safe product.  In short yes, they would be louder.  After we patent the alien technology we now have, and come out with Gen 8, they will likely be a bit longer.  We do hope to compete in weight as much as possible.  Durable materials seem to always be heavier.  Because OSS cans don't trap gases, we don't need to make them out of inconel, but they can't be made out of 100% aluminum.

4: Yes they are all full auto rated.  For long sustained full auto (belt fed applications etc) you'll need an MG suppressor.

1: I agree.... If you'd like I can put in a word to the site developers to have the wording adjusted on the site? lol
2: Technically, "well below" would be a relative term so I'm not exactly sure how to answer this.  Yes its well below hearing safe (140 dB).
3: 1 meter to the right is the standard, and its where are mic is placed.  Generally there is more noise on the side of most semi-auto platforms.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. The silencers tested on bolt action hosts. Right now, the 7.62 silencers only have dB values for a 14.5" AR. A 20" bolt action is a very common rifle for people to use a 7.62 suppressor on. Will you guys do this?

2. Materials listed for the tube, the stack, everything. What are they made out of?

Understanding the purported benefits of the OSS design, why doesn't OSS have silencers that are more competitive in size and weight to traditional silencers? Would they be louder than acceptable if they were kept to the same size limitations as traditional silencers?

Also - are all OSS suppressors full auto rated, or only the MG suppressors?

Lets start from the top.

1: Regarding testing with bolt action models. Yes we will do this, especially with our bolt action line 7.62 suppressors.

2: Materials can very depending on the model.  But generally speaking, the suppressors are made out of a lot of titanium, some stainless, and some cobalt.

3: Reason for not having 5" cans being 1.5" in diameter and weighting 14 oz is because Flow-Through suppression technology requires a bit more space for the linear expansion of gas over more surface area to result in a hearing safe product.  In short yes, they would be louder.  After we patent the alien technology we now have, and come out with Gen 8, they will likely be a bit longer.  We do hope to compete in weight as much as possible.  Durable materials seem to always be heavier.  Because OSS cans don't trap gases, we don't need to make them out of inconel, but they can't be made out of 100% aluminum.

4: Yes they are all full auto rated.  For long sustained full auto (belt fed applications etc) you'll need an MG suppressor.

Quoted:
1. "At least 138 dB" and "as low as 138 dB" mean the exact same thing. Do you agree?

1: I agree.... If you'd like I can put in a word to the site developers to have the wording adjusted on the site? lol
2: Technically, "well below" would be a relative term so I'm not exactly sure how to answer this.  Yes its well below hearing safe (140 dB).
3: 1 meter to the right is the standard, and its where are mic is placed.  Generally there is more noise on the side of most semi-auto platforms.

The U.S. MIL-STD actually does not indicate left or right.

With regards to 1m to the side of the muzzle being "the standard", it may have now been long an industry standard, however:

5.4.5 Transducer locations

For shoulder-fired and hand held weapons, transducers shall be located at the center of each operator or crewmembers's probable head location. For other weapons the transducer shall be positioned 1.60 m above the ground surface; for sitting locations it shall be 80 cm above the seat. When the operator must be present, the measurement shall be made 15 cm from the rear closest to the noise source ( ie., muzzle or breech, as the case may be ) on a line between the operator's era and the noise source

This is followed by to additional placements:

5.4.5.1 Refence transducer

a. If required, a transducer shall be placed 200 cm to the side of the major noise source of the weapon ( e.g, perpendicular to the muzzle for closd breech systems and perpendiculr to the rear for rocket launchers) with the weapon and the sensor 160 cm above the ground.

b. If required, a reference transducer shall be located on the 135-degree or 225-degree radial ( taking the line-of-fire as 0 degrees ) For weapons of bore diameter greater than 20 mm, this transducer shall be located at a distance of 50 bore diameters measured from a point directly under the muzzle with a tube ( barrel ) elevation of 0 degrees at a height of 160 cm. For weapons of smaller bore diameter, the transducer shall be located at the same elevation as the muzzle at a distance of 100 cm.

So, in essence, the shooters ear is the primary measurement location, especially the ejection port side and the 1m to the side of the muzzle is a combo of the a. / b. from 5.4.5.1

According to what has been told to me by long time industry colleagues, the 1m to the side comes from the 70s, started by Reed Knight, Charles Finn and Down Walsh. The MIL-STD incorporated it as 2 m, however the 1m still exists as can be seen above.

There are some possible new standards coming out in the near future, it remains to be seen what is adopted on the MIL side and are there any new standards that will become commonplace for the civilian side test work.

We commonly measure 1 m to the side of the muzzle and at the shooters both ears ( especially on semi/select fire weapons )

This is how we portray it in our catalog:

We do measure from other locations as well, if customers specify something else.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
Ase Utra sound suppressors
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#38]
As I said before, here is a comparison to a few other cans. Same rifle, but with a Sandman S and an Omega.

Sandman S

Omega (note: the Omega is using the direct thread module, and not the ASR)

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

With regards to 1m to the side of the muzzle being "the standard", it may have now been long an industry standard, however:

For shoulder-fired and hand held weapons, transducers shall be located at the center of each operator or crewmembers's probable head location. For other weapons the transducer shall be positioned 1.60 m above the ground surface; for sitting locations it shall be 80 cm above the seat. When the operator must be present, the measurement shall be made 15 cm from the rear closest to the noise source ( ie., muzzle or breech, as the case may be ) on a line between the operator's era and the noise source

a. If required, a transducer shall be placed 200 cm to the side of the major noise source of the weapon ( e.g, perpendicular to the muzzle for closd breech systems and perpendiculr to the rear for rocket launchers) with the weapon and the sensor 160 cm above the ground.

b. If required, a reference transducer shall be located on the 135-degree or 225-degree radial ( taking the line-of-fire as 0 degrees ) For weapons of bore diameter greater than 20 mm, this transducer shall be located at a distance of 50 bore diameters measured from a point directly under the muzzle with a tube ( barrel ) elevation of 0 degrees at a height of 160 cm. For weapons of smaller bore diameter, the transducer shall be located at the same elevation as the muzzle at a distance of 100 cm.

So, in essence, the shooters ear is the primary measurement location, especially the ejection port side and the 1m to the side of the muzzle is a combo of the a. / b. from 5.4.5.1

According to what has been told to me by long time industry colleagues, the 1m to the side comes from the 70s, started by Reed Knight, Charles Finn and Down Walsh. The MIL-STD incorporated it as 2 m, however the 1m still exists as can be seen above.

There are some possible new standards coming out in the near future, it remains to be seen what is adopted on the MIL side and are there any new standards that will become commonplace for the civilian side test work.

We commonly measure 1 m to the side of the muzzle and at the shooters both ears ( especially on semi/select fire weapons )

http://www.aseutra.fi/assets/images/tuotteet/ase_utra_db_chart_mil-le.jpg

We do measure from other locations as well, if customers specify something else.

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. The silencers tested on bolt action hosts. Right now, the 7.62 silencers only have dB values for a 14.5" AR. A 20" bolt action is a very common rifle for people to use a 7.62 suppressor on. Will you guys do this?

2. Materials listed for the tube, the stack, everything. What are they made out of?

Understanding the purported benefits of the OSS design, why doesn't OSS have silencers that are more competitive in size and weight to traditional silencers? Would they be louder than acceptable if they were kept to the same size limitations as traditional silencers?

Also - are all OSS suppressors full auto rated, or only the MG suppressors?

Lets start from the top.

Quoted:

http://www.aseutra.fi/assets/images/tuotteet/ase_utra_db_chart_mil-le.jpg

Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen

Thanks for posting this excellent information. If only every manufacturer was this transparent!
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 10:48:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I really wish Ase Utra would license their cans for production in the US.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
(Snip)
Best Regards!

Tuukka Jokinen

Thanks for posting this excellent information. If only every manufacturer was this transparent!

I really wish Ase Utra would license their cans for production in the US.

That would be a nice addition to the marketplace. I'm sure I could google it but do they have a parent company that operates here to make an easy transition?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 4:51:22 AM EDT
[#42]
I think the OSS design has merit, but is immature. They are already on Gen 5, and sweeping the previous ones under the rug. I think that if they survive, we will all be very impressed with them in another half decade, if innovation and problem solving continues.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:19:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is this?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 3:30:11 AM EDT
[#45]
To follow up, just to clarify that I was not intending to slight OSS or the posts by their staff.

They are rightly measuring at the shooters ear, although their numbers are from an enclosed space, whereas typically measurements are done in open areas to minimize the effect of the surroundings.

Main reason was to give some info, as there is a lot of "info" and opinions on the net on firearm sound pressure level measurements.

Regards!

Tuukka
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

QRF, not State Farm...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is this?

QRF, not State Farm...

Me of all people should have differentiated that.
I actually hit up Jake @ QRF about them and he says they're selling, enough that he wouldn't discount it further haha
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 1:01:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#48]
So where can I get non registered stuff to use my 762 can on more rifles?   Such as 556 (1/2x28) mounts?
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 10:24:28 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A little clarification.  

At OSS we measure sound with transducers as opposed to simple handheld microphones or other decibel readers.  The difference being that we measure sound pressure (or pressure waves).

View All Quotes
Quoted:

A little clarification.  

At OSS we measure sound with transducers as opposed to simple handheld microphones or other decibel readers.  The difference being that we measure sound pressure (or pressure waves).

A microphone is a transducer as it converts sound pressure waves into an electrical signal. Obviously the choice of microphone is critical as the transducer needs to have the dynamic range to capture a gunshot as well as the response time and proper frequency response.

Sound travels in waves through a given medium.

Yes, in this case, the medium is air.

These waves have an amplitude and frequency, which our transducers convert into hertz, which is then converted into decibel readings that are A-weighted.  A-weighting is applied to instrument-measured sound levels in an effort to account for sound pressure levels as they would be perceived by a human ear.

Hertz is  cycles per second, which is in essence, frequency. Are you referring to sampling time domain analog signal? In which case the A/D converter that you use is important as it needs to have the resolution, bandwidth to properly capture the analog signal.

Because we are recording the peak (highest) wave, testing in close quarters where the prevalence of rebounding and deflecting sound waves is higher does not affect accuracy of our readings.

Depends. Do you have constructive or destructive interference happening?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top