BCM
User Panel

SiCo Omega modularness (Page 3 of 19)
Page / 19
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 2:42:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I explain what I was looking for and showed him a pic of one he already made. Then I asked him how I can get payment to him if he is willing to make the end cap for me. This is how I phrased it. Thanks BigWaylon for the help also. March would be fine for me. I'm not in a rush.

Hello, I was given your information because I heard you can machine a part for the end of my suppressor. The part I need is a flat end cap made of titanium and a .300 hole bored out in it with 6 holes in the top for the wrench. In case I'm not explaining very good, here's  a picture of one you made for somebody except I believe this one has 3 holes of one pattern and 3 of another. I only need 6 holes in one pattern.  If you can do this, can you let me know how to get payment to you?
Thank you.

Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:08:48 AM EDT
[#3]
hello, BigWaylon I would like the contact info as well if its not to much trouble thank you!
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 8:12:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got one Omega and a second in jail...I would like info as well.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 10:53:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Since this thread got bumped is there anymore updates on the possible blast shields?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:12:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:18:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BigWaylon:
Something related to this thread. I know SiCo released their ASR blast shield (discussed in the other thread) and it appears to come with the ASR adapter to use it. But, I've talked to this machinist and another member who was interested and may have a less expensive option coming in a month or two.

I've said several times I think you could do it without worrying about the latching ring. My first thought was to just have it threaded for an ASR FH/MB, and then hit the notched ring like it was the shoulder. Since then, I had a better idea.

Start with the fixed mount he made for the Trident. Make it a little longer without the external threads. Then thread the inside to attach to the ASR muzzle device (no adapter needed). The way to keep it secure is ahead of the internal threads, machine a taper to engage the taper on the FH/MB. This is how Griffin's is set up, and the machinist thinks it'll work just fine. We could even keep the hex flats, and maybe size them to the Omega wrench nevermind...OD of threads is too big for Omega/Saker wrench, but you could always use an adjustable wrench as well, or just snug it by hand. (The wrench may be handy to remove it).

In case anybody missed the Trident mounts...here they are to give you an idea:

http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx151/thegreghorton/Mobile%20Uploads/5A93040F-2449-48B3-B21B-6850350186FD_zpsbdgsixnk.jpg

Shouldn't be hard to imagine a smooth (no external threads) 2-3" version of that, with ID threads and a taper to match an ASR muzzle device. Probably at 1/3-1/2 the cost of the SiCo piece.

Thoughts?  SS, Ti or Al? I'd think without it being sealed, you wouldn't have to worry about the pressure inside a can, and Al may even be enough. He priced 1144 steel the same as Al for the Trident, with SS being $10 more, and Ti roughly double.
View Quote

This project with no latching.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 11:42:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#11]
He's looking at end of March, beginning of April before he gets machining time for us.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:53:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#12]
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 9:56:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Blackcsvt:
He's looking at end of March, beginning of April before he gets machining time for us.
View Quote

That's good to know. I may have him change the length of the shield he's making for my ASR mount. I didn't want to bother him if he was already doing projects.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Did the March/April machining time date ever happen?

Just wondering if I missed notification.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 8:02:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:03:23 PM EDT
[#16]
i was emailing back and forth with him a week or two ago and he took my order for a 223 and 308 ti endcap.   He said he was not yet making the 1/2x28 thread adapter, but would let me know when.

I'm pretty pumped .
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Can you please send me contact info my omega is in jail currently
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 9:51:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#18]
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Can I get a PM with the contact info as well?  I could use a couple flat end caps.

Thanks BigWaylon!
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks BigWaylon.

Responded to your PM.

I'm just waiting on a couple of end caps. No problem, or rush. Just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a notification of some sort...
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I would appreciate the info as well. This all looks very promising.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:10:41 AM EDT
[#22]
What is the oal of a omega with a flat cap and a 51t maad with the custom made adapter?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:47:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Can someone tell me why these ti endcaps are wanted. Is it because it is lighter than sicos offerings.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:52:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#24]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 11:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#25]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:03:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Weight is one part, but could be minor. The Omega only comes with the anchor brake, so if you want a flat cap at all for a shorter OAL, the Ti version is lighter while also being $20-$40 cheaper than the SiCo part.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By The_Legend:

Can someone tell me why these ti endcaps are wanted. Is it because it is lighter than sicos offerings.

Weight is one part, but could be minor. The Omega only comes with the anchor brake, so if you want a flat cap at all for a shorter OAL, the Ti version is lighter while also being $20-$40 cheaper than the SiCo part.
Aaaahhhh. I have an Omega in jail as well and have not considered flat cap. Can I get PM as well?

Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:09:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:28:00 PM EDT
[#28]
Done.

Done.

Do you have a 51T MAAD? I don't. I can measure the tube...then the adapter is in the 1/4"-3/8" range...then the 51T.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CatfishHunter:
I would appreciate the info as well. This all looks very promising.
Done.

Originally Posted By MattLethal:
Can I get a PM with the contact info as well?  I could use a couple flat end caps.

Thanks BigWaylon!
Done.

Originally Posted By sanman28:
What is the oal of a omega with a flat cap and a 51t maad with the custom made adapter?

Do you have a 51T MAAD? I don't. I can measure the tube...then the adapter is in the 1/4"-3/8" range...then the 51T.

I do.  I run aac's and then a saker on them.  I guess a better question is how much length does the flat cap elimiate from the break thingy?
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 2:52:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a hybrid in jail, all of these parts should be interchangeable with hybrids correct?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:19:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#31]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 3:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Joshua_CapitolArmory] [#32]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:03:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Chris is the bomb! I ordered a long Ti YHM adapter and asked him if he could create a flush thread protector so I could use it as a blast shield when not on my Omega and he tossed it in for me.

Is it a problem if when the mount bottoms out it is in between notches? Loosening it to the next closest notch allows for a little rotational play.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:07:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PineappleDevil] [#36]
Are you talking about the notches on the YHM adapter and the teeth on the muzzle device? If so, just rotate the ring on the muzzle device just a bit so it engages.
View Quote

Yes, the notches on the adapter. Got it to work! Thanks for the tip!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:16:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Is Howard still making items for the Omega? I had talked to him about a blast shield but haven't heard from him since the beginning of February.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#38]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:32:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#40]

You probably have access to all of them..so why does the SiCo 3-lug description say it fits the Octane, Omega 9K and Hybrid? I didn't pull mine out of the safe, but aren't the female threads on the barrel end of the Omega a lot bigger than those on the Octane? Which means the Hybrid and Octane differ by the same amount?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Joshua_CapitolArmory:
Omega and Hybrid parts are all the same.  Flat caps, direct thread mounts, etc.  The thread mounts are also the same as the Harvester Big Bore.  

It's my understanding from talking with SilencerCo the different SKUs are to help small dealers.   Someone that gets a couple cans a year into a shop could get confused about "I want a Hybrid, with Hybrid parts, why are there no Hybrid parts? All I see is Omega"

You see it a lot with Specwar and Omega, and to a lesser degree Sakers.  "This says Specwar, I need an Omega flash hider" sort of thing.  No matter how they do it, it's going to confuse someone.

You probably have access to all of them..so why does the SiCo 3-lug description say it fits the Octane, Omega 9K and Hybrid? I didn't pull mine out of the safe, but aren't the female threads on the barrel end of the Omega a lot bigger than those on the Octane? Which means the Hybrid and Octane differ by the same amount?

If I understand all I've read I believe the Hybrid comes with a "piston mount" which threads into the "Omega-diameter" threads and into which the Octane 3-lug mount threads.  It appears the Hybrid "piston mount" is (internally) threaded exactly the same as the Octane.

So I think the answer is "both" - that Omega adapters work on the Hybrid because they thread into the tube itself, while Octane adapters work because they thread into the "piston mount".  It seems like Octane direct-thread adapters should therefore work - unclear why SiCo doesn't say that or if they recommend for/against it.

Definitely a n00b, awaiting a Hybrid on F3 still, so no chance to touch one to confirm the above - it's just my (perhaps flawed) understanding/conclusion, YMMV!
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By rsolomon:
If I understand all I've read I believe the Hybrid comes with a "piston mount" which threads into the "Omega-diameter" threads and into which the Octane 3-lug mount threads.  It appears the Hybrid "piston mount" is (internally) threaded exactly the same as the Octane.

So I think the answer is "both" - that Omega adapters work on the Hybrid because they thread into the tube itself, while Octane adapters work because they thread into the "piston mount".  It seems like Octane direct-thread adapters should therefore work - unclear why SiCo doesn't say that or if they recommend for/against it.

Definitely a n00b, awaiting a Hybrid on F3 still, so no chance to touch one to confirm the above - it's just my (perhaps flawed) understanding/conclusion, YMMV!
View Quote

This is my understanding as well (an insert that takes Octane mounts). My guess would be the Octane line of direct thread adapters are not rated for rifle caliber use. A 5/8X24 Octane direct thread mount probably won't like .300 Win Mag very much.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#42]

Blast shield for the ASR mount? If so, I asked him if he'd had time to work on them, yet.

Got this response:

A little,  should have the direct mount and maybe the blast shield drawn up this week.

I don't use any ASR mounts, but he's using the one that came with my Omega to help design in, along with the SSS blast shield I have for my YHM mounts. I'll let y'all know when I see them done. He's working on a DT for my Omega, and also has the YHM drawing from Chris/DM to make me a new one without the spanner wrench slots. I'll definitely be making a trip up there as soon as my SBS F1 is approved to have him cut down my barrel.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Moses_J:
Is Howard still making items for the Omega? I had talked to him about a blast shield but haven't heard from him since the beginning of February.

Blast shield for the ASR mount? If so, I asked him if he'd had time to work on them, yet.

Got this response:

A little,  should have the direct mount and maybe the blast shield drawn up this week.

I don't use any ASR mounts, but he's using the one that came with my Omega to help design in, along with the SSS blast shield I have for my YHM mounts. I'll let y'all know when I see them done. He's working on a DT for my Omega, and also has the YHM drawing from Chris/DM to make me a new one without the spanner wrench slots. I'll definitely be making a trip up there as soon as my SBS F1 is approved to have him cut down my barrel.

Well that's pretty cool. I had talked to him about just making a 2.25" tube that threads on to my spare ASR locking mount then I was going to get a .46 end cap and essentially make my own Surefire Warden. If he's making one that just threads on over the ASR flash hider/brake I'll buy him out and throw those and brakes on every rifle.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Got an Omega and Saker in NFA jail. Can I get the contact info please?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 7:34:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#45]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:57:11 AM EDT
[#46]
May I get the contact info as well.  The flat endcap looks great!
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Yeah...the idea was since you're not as worried about concentricity with a blast shield, to just build one that threaded onto the ASR muzzle devices and engaged the taper in front of the threads as the stopping/locking point. Not worrying about a latch and the grooved ring that the SiCo product engages. There are enough products out there using the taper design that we're not worried about it being an issue.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Moses_J:
Well that's pretty cool. I had talked to him about just making a 2.25" tube that threads on to my spare ASR locking mount then I was going to get a .46 end cap and essentially make my own Surefire Warden. If he's making one that just threads on over the ASR flash hider/brake I'll buy him out and throw those and brakes on every rifle.

Yeah...the idea was since you're not as worried about concentricity with a blast shield, to just build one that threaded onto the ASR muzzle devices and engaged the taper in front of the threads as the stopping/locking point. Not worrying about a latch and the grooved ring that the SiCo product engages. There are enough products out there using the taper design that we're not worried about it being an issue.

Sounds good to me. Hopefully he'll get them worked up soon.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:32:27 AM EDT
[#48]
Did he give a price on the asr (sure fire wardnens?)
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Big Waylon,

The flat end cap is growing on me. Can I get the contact info too?

Thanks,

JPK
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:52:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BigWaylon] [#50]
Page / 19
SiCo Omega modularness (Page 3 of 19)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top