Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:55:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi all,

I have a Obsidian 45 in NFA Jail. I keep reading on different sites that Rugged changed the coatings on the production models of the Obsidian 45's.
So, I emailed Rugged and got the following response:

"All of the production Obsidians have Cerakote piston housings and the main tube and module body are hard coat anodized. There were a few early
models that were fully Cerakoted, however, we decided to make a change to the production models in order to give customers what we feel is a better,
more durable product."

Does this make the module body more durable or is this just a cost savings measure?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hi all,

I have a Obsidian 45 in NFA Jail. I keep reading on different sites that Rugged changed the coatings on the production models of the Obsidian 45's.

"All of the production Obsidians have Cerakote piston housings and the main tube and module body are hard coat anodized. There were a few early
models that were fully Cerakoted, however, we decided to make a change to the production models in order to give customers what we feel is a better,
more durable product."

Does this make the module body more durable or is this just a cost savings measure?
View Quote

Cerekote is definitely better than duracoat and pretty cool, but i don't know that its any less durable that hard coat anodized....

i.e. regarding AR receivers ,Would you ask if your lower's anodized coat  is compromising durability because it is not Cerekoted?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Cerekote is definitely better than duracoat and pretty cool, but i don't know that its any less durable that hard coat anodized....

i.e. regarding AR receivers ,Would you ask if your lower's anodized coat  is compromising durability because it is not Cerekoted?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hi all,

more durable product."

The way I read it is that early models were 100% ceracoate and then they swapped to a HC Anodize. HC Anodize > Ceracoate.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:25:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Was there ever a confirmation that the SiCo pistons fit and/or work correctly in the Obsidian?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 2:49:46 PM EDT
[#6]
So that's a solution for the pistons......what about a 9mm end cap or fixed barrel spacer?

When is Rugged going to have that junk available?

TR
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So that's a solution for the pistons......what about a 9mm end cap or fixed barrel spacer?

TR
View Quote
Last response we received from Rugged was that accessory production would begin the first part of July.

Link Posted: 6/8/2016 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Get a SiCo fixed barrel adapter right now, on sale and free shipping.

Hansohn Bros has Rugged 1/2 28 pistons.

I am going to wait for Rugged pistons, probably do metric. Still need to send a barrel to Adco.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 4:06:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

TR
View All Quotes
Quoted:

TR

Expecting mid-July.

Quoted:

Hansohn Bros had Rugged 1/2 28 pistons.

FIFY.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder will rugged let us exchange our pistons for the 1/2x28.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#11]
or 13.5x1 metric.......

Are they delivering .578 or 16 metric with their units?

TR
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:39:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Wonder why yours is B45C, and mine is B45A. Different batch?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My S/N is B45C-200x. It came from Capitol Armory.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Yeah I also saw a B45Q and mine is a B45S-3xxx which I just got on June 3rd. Maybe they've built that many that they used all 9999 up in each letter prefix so far? That would be a lot of Obsidians so far if they are already up to S assuming they went alphabetically and numerically as theorized.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yeah I also saw a B45Q and mine is a B45S-3xxx which I just got on June 3rd. Maybe they've built that many that they used all 9999 up in each letter prefix so far? That would be a lot of Obsidians so far if they are already up to S assuming they went alphabetically and numerically as theorized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

B45C is Capital Armory, B45Q is Quiet Riot, B45S is Silencer Shop, etc...

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:22:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Obsidian back in stock at SS.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is B451xxxx and came from Tar Heel, I'm not sure how that fits into numbering convention.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 12:50:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

214 in stock as of this post
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

172 in stock as of this post.

These things sell fast
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:21:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Ugh of course they are back in stock and no damn funds!

Looks like I am going to have to go the after 41f route at this rate...
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 8:25:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't recall seeing an answer to this: anybody know why they make one part out of 6061 and one part out of 7075 grade aluminum?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:52:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally made my decision and got the obsidian. Been trying to wait for an omega 9k or a Revo 9. But I just pulled the trigger when ss got these in stock this morning. It was a REAL hard decision. I changed my car a few times because was going for a resistance 9 cuz price and features. Finally thought the extra $200 really ain't shit For one of the best cans out right now. Plus this is my first can purchase and Jesus SS makes it smooth as hell.

How is ss able to process the paperwork and then send it to the receiving dealer in my state? I thought it had to be transferred to my state dealer first before form 4 filed....Or like some how dealers time it correctly to process the form 3 before the form 4 starts..

Ok so on to my other question of someone can chime in.

The Griffin resistance 9 can is a 9mm can and it does like 17 hmr...22lr...22mag...5.7x28..9mm..

How come the obsidian 45 can't do some of those rounds esp the five seven? I almost didn't buy the obsidian because of that since I plan to buy a five seven soon.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:22:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Rugged 9mm endcaps shipping to dealers next week!!

Source: @RuggedSuppressors IG account
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:26:17 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Finally made my decision and got the obsidian. Been trying to wait for an omega 9k or a Revo 9. But I just pulled the trigger when ss got these in stock this morning. It was a REAL hard decision. I changed my car a few times because was going for a resistance 9 cuz price and features. Finally thought the extra $200 really ain't shit For one of the best cans out right now. Plus this is my first can purchase and Jesus SS makes it smooth as hell.

How is ss able to process the paperwork and then send it to the receiving dealer in my state? I thought it had to be transferred to my state dealer first before form 4 filed....Or like some how dealers time it correctly to process the form 3 before the form 4 starts..

The Griffin resistance 9 can is a 9mm can and it does like 17 hmr...22lr...22mag...5.7x28..9mm..
T
How come the obsidian 45 can't do some of those rounds esp the five seven? I almost didn't buy the obsidian because of that since I plan to buy a five seven soon.

Thanks
View Quote

I believe SS and the local SOT have a business arrangement that allows SS to file the Form 4 on behalf of them. I'd be interested in the exact paperwork that allows that to happen. All I know is it's fucking genius. All the local dealer has to do is hold the can, do a 4473 and collect money, no money tied up in inventory.
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I believe SS and the local SOT have a business arrangement that allows SS to file the Form 4 on behalf of them. I'd be interested in the exact paperwork that allows that to happen. All I know is it's fucking genius. All the local dealer has to do is hold the can, do a 4473 and collect money, no money tied up in inventory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

T

Thanks

I remember I read an article a while back about something to do with that where silencershop was the one that was who actually crashed the ATF e-form system. Supposedly because of their volume is why we don't have eform system for form 4.

They had some kind of arrangement supposedly that allows silencershop to process the paperwork or something one or another I don't remember I need to find that article. Anyone else know anything?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:24:45 AM EDT
[#26]
How did u guys figure out stock levels? Cuz I'd like to know on a few other ones in stock
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 12:49:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Just choose your local powered by dealer and change the quantity in the cart. just checked and its at 138.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 1:05:10 AM EDT
[#28]
any shot a gm-45? I like the monocore design and in stock at silencershop.
But then again for not much more I can get an obsidian though....
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 2:00:08 PM EDT
[#29]
WOW, my local "Powered" dealer is charging $799 for the obsidian 45.  So glad I ordered mine from a dealer up in the KC area instead of waiting to find one locally.  Even with the drive I'm still saving a fair chunk of change.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:33:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
WOW, my local "Powered" dealer is charging $799 for the obsidian 45.  So glad I ordered mine from a dealer up in the KC area instead of waiting to find one locally.  Even with the drive I'm still saving a fair chunk of change.
View Quote

Yeah. If my memory serves me correctly, this can started out selling for $654 , but the demand has caused the price to be increased. I'm not interested at $799.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yeah. If my memory serves me correctly, this can started out selling for $654 , but the demand has caused the price to be increased. I'm not interested at $799.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably already answered but silencershop as the drop down menu for a piston. So the piston is not included? 799+75?
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#32]
One comes with.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#33]
That's if you want an additional piston with the Obsidian.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That's if you want an additional piston with the Obsidian.
View Quote

Ahh ty.
Link Posted: 6/18/2016 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

One comes with.
View Quote
Which piston comes with the can?

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

One comes with.
.578x28

Link Posted: 6/19/2016 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

When ss got the obsidian back in stock I thought it was a glitch. It kept jumping from 654 to 722 to 764..799
.I paid 799 plus the stamp.

I really didn't want to pay or buy this obsidian because I was more interested in the Revo 9 Or omega 9k but didn't wanna take the chance of either or anything else not coming in stock prior to 41f.

Considering I paid SS and not my local dealer. The SS site says I might have to pay local sales tax when I pickup my can. Has anyone paid sales tax? Doesn't seem legal since I bought it from out of state and technically paid SS in Texas and I'm in AZ
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 10:00:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

When ss got the obsidian back in stock I thought it was a glitch. It kept jumping from 654 to 722 to 764..799

I really didn't want to pay or buy this obsidian because I was more interested in the Revo 9 Or omega 9k but didn't wanna take the chance of either or anything else not coming in stock prior to 41f.

Considering I paid SS and not my local dealer. The SS site says I might have to pay local sales tax when I pickup my can. Has anyone paid sales tax? Doesn't seem legal since I bought it from out of state and technically paid SS in Texas and I'm in AZ
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

=======================================================================================

"Sales Tax" could be added by your local dealer but I doubt he is sending it to the state you live in.  You are just using his Class III license for the transfer and back ground check.  He may charge you a fee for those services or perhaps he
calls them "sales tax" but the money goes in his pocket, so to speak.

I called on Saturday to find out why the prices changed on the Obsidian 45.  It is a function of the Class III dealer you pick to use for the transfer in your state.  In Ohio there were about 4 Class III dealers that were charging
$654 all the rest wanted $799.  You have to scroll thru the list to see if they are all at the same price or if some are willing to make less.  Hopefully, you will find one not too far away.
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:35:47 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

======================================================================================

"Sales Tax" could be added by your local dealer but I doubt he is sending it to the state you live in.  You are just using his Class III license for the transfer and back ground check.  He may charge you a fee for those services or perhaps he

I called on Saturday to find out why the prices changed on the Obsidian 45.  It is a function of the Class III dealer you pick to use for the transfer in your state.  In Ohio there were about 4 Class III dealers that were charging
$654 all the rest wanted $799.  You have to scroll thru the list to see if they are all at the same price or if some are willing to make less.  Hopefully, you will find one not too far away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

======================================================================================

They were all 799 except a small few that were 749 but like 100+ miles.

The dealer I picked isn't a small operation. Pretty mid size..large shop...range...simulator...classes....Leo's go there to train. So should be ok.

My card statement says Silencer shop. So I'll have to really dispute taxes considering no money changed hands from me to local dealer. But then again who knows. I got NO problem paying sales tax when it's due appropriately
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 8:30:59 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
How did u guys figure out stock levels? Cuz I'd like to know on a few other ones in stock
View Quote

Keep adding different quantities until it states that the requested quantity is not available. 77 available as of this post
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:20:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Will the Obsidian 45 need a fix barrel spacer for use on a 300blk barrel (similar to AAC Tirant 45)? If so, when will one be available?
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 1:25:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Yes, you can use the SilencerCo Octane FBS.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So I'm assuming you'll file it on your taxes if nobody collects it, right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My card statement says Silencer shop. So I'll have to really dispute taxes considering no money changed hands from me to local dealer. But then again who knows. I got NO problem paying sales tax when it's due appropriately

As a tax attorney this made me laugh. My pet peeve is when people say "if you buy it online there is no sales tax"

There is no tax collected and remitted. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to pay tax in the state of delivery.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 6:40:46 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:07:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yep. Turbo Tax asks me about those purchases every year.

There are states (I think WA is one) where the local dealer does collect it, but in most cases it doesn't happen. The weirdest to me is that even if the local dealer is in TX, neither SS or the SSPB dealer collects it...IIRC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

As a tax attorney this made me laugh. My pet peeve is when people say "if you buy it online there is no sales tax"

There is no tax collected and remitted. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to pay tax in the state of delivery.

Yep. Turbo Tax asks me about those purchases every year.

There are states (I think WA is one) where the local dealer does collect it, but in most cases it doesn't happen. The weirdest to me is that even if the local dealer is in TX, neither SS or the SSPB dealer collects it...IIRC.

Correct on WA tax. For transfers it's the law that the FFL collect and remit the tax.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:18:36 PM EDT
[#47]
All I'm saying is that I paid silencer shop. I didn't pay my local dealer. So how can my local dealer collect the sales tax? I'm in az. And depending on what state you reside if you purchase out of state you still have to pay "use" tax. Sales tax but because u bought it out of state you gotta remit that tax to your residence state.

Like I said before I have no problem paying sales tax WHEN DUE PROPERLY.  But many merchants charge so called "sales" tax and just pocket the shit. That's where I get pissed.

I used to own serveral liquor stores before and when the competition did that to achieve a "cheaper" price for the customer I used to get super mad.

And yes I have no problem reporting the taxes myself. I never said I wouldn't. My only problem was getting taxed improperly. This is first time in buying a supressor with a trust along with 2 sbr's. So I don't know the "tax" rules. Give me a break... Yeesh.
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 10:33:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did you talk to him? There is a ton of room on those. 799 was the default price ss set up.
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Anyone know when the 9mm endcap and the 3-Lug mount will be available?
Link Posted: 7/13/2016 5:06:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Anyone know when the 9mm endcap and the 3-Lug mount will be available?
View Quote

Should be available by end of July.
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top