Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 8:28:20 AM EDT
[#1]
While I wait for my June 21 Pending Obsidian, do I need the tool to install the 3 lug mount?
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:21:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:26:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No, no special tools are needed at all.  For the muzzle device, a 17mm open end wrench is perfect.  For the 3 lug mount on the Obsidian, a 27mm socket or large adjustable wrench work fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I wait for my June 21 Pending Obsidian, do I need the tool to install the 3 lug mount?
No, no special tools are needed at all.  For the muzzle device, a 17mm open end wrench is perfect.  For the 3 lug mount on the Obsidian, a 27mm socket or large adjustable wrench work fine.
Or just spin it on with a drop of rockset
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks! Now i just need the can I bought from you all in May 2016

#*%*ing ATF
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 10:53:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Got mine finally.  Bought it from Hansohn Brothers, something like my sixth transaction through them, flawless transaction as usual.

I really like this can, I thought it was an impractical purchase but I enjoy using it on my carry G17 too much.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Man, I never read through the beginning of this thread.  One thing I've learned is that I'll never purchase Griffin anything.  Coming into a thread about a competitor product and making it about your company and product is weak.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
First time to the range with my obsidian and this happened.  Anyone know if rugged will do anything about this?

9mm endcap
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:35:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

First time to the range with my obsidian and this happened.  Anyone know if rugged will do anything about this?

9mm endcap
View Quote
ahhh and you have discovered why they don't sell them anymore
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:52:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
What kind of mount?  I've been using my Obsidian with 3-lug and 9mm cap on MPX and no strikes so far.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, kind of disappointed.  Will the refund or anything?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:15:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I picked mine up last week but haven't shot it yet. Bought it for the mpx but was planning to get the 9mm endcap but seeing that. Hmmm
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:08:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
They don't sell the 9mm caps any more?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#13]
All of our products are backed by an unconditional lifetime warranty including your end cap. Reach out to us at [email protected] and someone will take care of you.    

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All of our products are backed by an unconditional lifetime warranty including your end cap. Reach out to us at [email protected] and someone will take care of you.    

Thanks
View Quote
I did so for the very same problem and was taken care of promptly and professionally. Thank you, Rugged.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:09:21 PM EDT
[#15]
so what is the problem with the 9mm end caps?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
so what is the problem with the 9mm end caps?
View Quote
I don't think there was a design or quality problem with mine, I think that my can got loose on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:41:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Just here to say that as of now Rugged has handled the issues I've experienced very well.  Great customer service so far.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Just bought one yesterday still have to get my fingerprints and send a check off .
Oh the wait is going to be torture
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

9mm endcap
View Quote
Same issue here. Call me crazy but I don't think it's end cap strikes.....I think it is hot gas erosion of the anodize and aluminum.

My cap "disturbance" is in direct line with the key hole arrangement in the baffle stack. No baffle strikes whatsoever. Can the bullet path really drop out of the centerline of the baffle stack and into the keyhole region  and cause a strike on the end cap? Or is it hot gas jetting through the baffle stack keyhole and concentrating on the 9mm bore aluminum end cap directly in line with it's path?

So I clocked my baffle stack 180 out from the disturbed area on the end cap and will shoot another 100 rounds again and see if it produces same result on the opposite side.

Might be stupid.....but I gots to know.

TR
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Also....my usual 147 sub load is 3.2 N320 but I also shot around 100 rounds of a Titegroup load.

Titegroup is 37% Nitro and is widely known to burn really warm compared to other fast pistol propellants.

TR
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 9:01:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Kudos to Rugged for taking care of the 9mm end cap under warranty.  One of the easiest warranty calls I have ever made.  Makes me feel good about my multiple purchases from your company.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:49:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Same issue here. Call me crazy but I don't think it's end cap strikes.....I think it is hot gas erosion of the anodize and aluminum.

My cap "disturbance" is in direct line with the key hole arrangement in the baffle stack. No baffle strikes whatsoever. Can the bullet path really drop out of the centerline of the baffle stack and into the keyhole region  and cause a strike on the end cap? Or is it hot gas jetting through the baffle stack keyhole and concentrating on the 9mm bore aluminum end cap directly in line with it's path?

So I clocked my baffle stack 180 out from the disturbed area on the end cap and will shoot another 100 rounds again and see if it produces same result on the opposite side.

TR
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

9mm endcap

TR
Fascinating, that damage looks exactly like the damage I had to my 9mm end cap. No sign of damage to baffles, and Rugged sent me a new endcap ASAP (I'm continuing to shoot the damaged one without ill effect to accuracy or anything else).

Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#23]
My 9mm endcap damage was almost certainly due to me not tightening up the can on the barrel tight enough and I told Rugged that, but no matter.  They sent me a new 9mm endcap right away.  Awesome company.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#24]
What's everyone doing to keep the Obsidian tight on their pistols? Mine stays tight on the Scorpion but loosens pretty quickly on the FNX Tactical.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:34:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 12:00:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Metric threads. 
View Quote
Gross
Teflon tape
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 7:42:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Best place to get a 1/2x28 piston?

I'm picking up my Obsidian on Wednesday

Edit: #556 wasted on a request
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:04:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]
View Quote
Ordered
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Rugged must have upgraded their springs and spacer. They sent that with the replacement  end cap as well.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
What's everyone doing to keep the Obsidian tight on their pistols? Mine stays tight on the Scorpion but loosens pretty quickly on the FNX Tactical.
View Quote
Get the tool to tighten the spring retainer.  It makes a huge difference in tightening so you can tighten in the can on to the pistol real well.  I used to have major issues with it coming loose but the tool solved that issue quick.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Rugged must have upgraded their springs and spacer. They sent that with the replacement  end cap as well.
View Quote
Yup, I got that too when they sent a new 9mm cap.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Get the tool to tighten the spring retainer.  It makes a huge difference in tightening so you can tighten in the can on to the pistol real well.  I used to have major issues with it coming loose but the tool solved that issue quick.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to tighten my Obsidian after every mag, what is this tool you speak of? I found the 3 lug tool on their website but i don't see how that works with a piston mount...?
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have to tighten my Obsidian after every mag, what is this tool you speak of? I found the 3 lug tool on their website but i don't see how that works with a piston mount...?
View Quote
https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/obsidian-spring-retainer-tool/

It tightens the spring retainer real well so you can tighten the suppressor on to the barrel real well. Are you using LH or RH Pistons?
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 11:00:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

It tightens the spring retainer real well so you can tighten the suppressor on to the barrel real well. Are you using LH or RH Pistons?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RH pistons. 2 of my pistols came with RH threaded barrels so I bought matching threaded barrels for the other 2. 

I get it now...Can you just use an open end wrench on the spring retainer? Sometimes the can backs of the barrel so this would only solve half of my issues. 
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 1:22:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
RH pistons. 2 of my pistols came with RH threaded barrels so I bought matching threaded barrels for the other 2. 

I get it now...Can you just use an open end wrench on the spring retainer? Sometimes the can backs of the barrel so this would only solve half of my issues. 
View Quote
I'm sure a wrench would work.  It's my understanding that you shouldn't be limp wristing it when tightening it down.  Dont be shy about it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 2:07:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone know if the Rugged piston will work with the P938 or Glock 43?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:06:28 PM EDT
[#38]
After seeing that these guys are local to me (and apparently Clemson fans) I think I'm going to order an Obsidian instead of the Octane I have been eyeing.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
After seeing that these guys are local to me (and apparently Clemson fans) I think I'm going to order an Obsidian instead of the Octane I have been eyeing.
View Quote
Smart choice.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:45:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Just bought the 3-lug mount for my Obsidian and am having a problem with it.

I am trying to use it on a Griffin 3 lug muzzle device (which I've tried on multiple barrels).  With the spring in the 3-lug assembly there is not enough clearance to push down far enough on the 3-lug muzzle device to get enough clearance to then turn the suppressor and get it to lock up.

If I remove the spring, there is plenty of clearance.

Is it possible to shorten or file the spring or put a gasket on to increase the inside depth so that I can get enough clearance to get this to work or should I just contact Rugged to see if they can send me a shorter spring or if they have any other ideas?

I suppose the Griffin muzzle adapter could be out of spec but they sell tons of them, just doesn't seem likely.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:17:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I am trying to use it on a Griffin 3 lug muzzle device (which I've tried on multiple barrels).  With the spring in the 3-lug assembly there is not enough clearance to push down far enough on the 3-lug muzzle device to get enough clearance to then turn the suppressor and get it to lock up.

Is it possible to shorten or file the spring or put a gasket on to increase the inside depth so that I can get enough clearance to get this to work or should I just contact Rugged to see if they can send me a shorter spring or if they have any other ideas?

I suppose the Griffin muzzle adapter could be out of spec but they sell tons of them, just doesn't seem likely.
View Quote
I can't help you with the Griffin 3 Lug issue but my In Lead We Trust 3 Lug muzzle adapter fits perfect in my Obsidian 3 Lug mount, so I'd say it's the Griffin. Just so you know, that was one of the 3 Lug mount brands that Rugged advised me NOT to use. Both TROS and ILWT are GTG muzzle devices for sure with the Obsidian.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:17:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I can't help you with the Griffin 3 Lug issue but my In Lead We Trust 3 Lug muzzle adapter fits perfect in my Obsidian 3 Lug mount, so I'd say it's the Griffin. Just so you know, that was one of the 3 Lug mount brands that Rugged advised me NOT to use. Both TROS and ILWT are GTG muzzle devices for sure with the Obsidian.
View Quote
Ugh. That really sucks, considering I spent 60 bucks on the griffin and will have to resell it at a loss.  The entire point of the 3 lug stuff is that it is supposed to be manufacturer neutral as long as they meet specs.

Thanks for the information, I will order one of the ILWT adapters and try it.

Does anyone know of a 13x1 adapter that works with the obsidian 3 lug?  Manticore makes one for the CZ Scorpion but is out of stock.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:49:34 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Ugh. That really sucks, considering I spent 60 bucks on the griffin and will have to resell it at a loss.  The entire point of the 3 lug stuff is that it is supposed to be manufacturer neutral as long as they meet specs.

Does anyone know of a 13x1 adapter that works with the obsidian 3 lug?  Manticore makes one for the CZ Scorpion but is out of stock.
View Quote
Do you mean 18x1 because that's the threads on the scorpion as well as having 1/2x28 if you have the 2016+ scorpion. Fyi, if you have a scorpion w both thread sizes. Sven told me it won't fit their manticore adapter. The Hkparts.net scorpion adapter will fit over the 1/2x28 onto the 18x1 threads however. I still need to order mine but I'm just gonna get the ILWT 1/2x28 adapter as it's less bulky and works as well as the 18x1 adapter. A tad cheaper too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's funny, back in March of last yr, I raised the potential of the booster loosening up when tightening the can on LH threaded bbls (see p 5), & now this tool is out.

You're welcome.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:13:59 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Do you mean 18x1 because that's the threads on the scorpion as well as having 1/2x28 if you have the 2016+ scorpion. Fyi, if you have a scorpion w both thread sizes. Sven told me it won't fit their manticore adapter. The Hkparts.net scorpion adapter will fit over the 1/2x28 onto the 18x1 threads however. I still need to order mine but I'm just gonna get the ILWT 1/2x28 adapter as it's less bulky and works as well as the 18x1 adapter. A tad cheaper too.
View Quote
Yeah sorry I mean 18x1. I do have a newer one that has both and was not aware that the Manticore device doesn't have both.

I would just like to keep the 18x1 threads protected even though I probably won't ever use them again now that the factory barrel nut is off.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Yeah sorry I mean 18x1. I do have a newer one that has both and was not aware that the Manticore device doesn't have both.

I would just like to keep the 18x1 threads protected even though I probably won't ever use them again now that the factory barrel nut is off.
View Quote
This is what you'll need then https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/3-Lug-Adapter-For-CZ-Scorpion-Evo-5p17616.htm

I have the flash can model so the factory carbine handguard covers my threads but I see your concern if that's not your case.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:49:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

This is what you'll need then https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/3-Lug-Adapter-For-CZ-Scorpion-Evo-5p17616.htm

I have the flash can model so the factory carbine handguard covers my threads but I see your concern if that's not your case.
View Quote
I saw that one but since I don't have the factory nut and factory muzzle device retainer clip I kind of ignored it. I suppose I could just loctite it to the barrel threads.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting, I have a Griffin 3 lug into the rugged 3 lug adapter and it locks up tight
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote
Could very well be a bad 3-lug.  Send it back to Griffin and let them check it out.

Are you sure you got the 9mm 3-lug?  I am not sure what the difference is, but there are 2 models for sale:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/45-Caliber-3-Lug-Adapters-p/3lug45.htm
https://www.griffinarmament.com/Revolution-3-Lug-Adapters-p/93l.htm

I have the Griffin 1/2x36 on a 9mm AR and it works just fine with the Rugged 3 lug.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Could very well be a bad 3-lug.  Send it back to Griffin and let them check it out.

Are you sure you got the 9mm 3-lug?  I am not sure what the difference is, but there are 2 models for sale:

https://www.griffinarmament.com/45-Caliber-3-Lug-Adapters-p/3lug45.htm
https://www.griffinarmament.com/Revolution-3-Lug-Adapters-p/93l.htm

I have the Griffin 1/2x36 on a 9mm AR and it works just fine with the Rugged 3 lug.
View Quote
I bought this one. HBI told me it is identical to the Griffin as they have both and they are pretty sure it's made by them for HK Parts.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-3-Lug-Adapter-1-2-X-28-5p106.htm
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top