Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:10:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
This is my going to be my SBR build inspiration. What barrel length/threading/adapter are you using here? I'm trying to figure out what length I need to put on my Form 1 since I'm cutting down from a carbine length barrel and want to create a similarly seamless setup for a 3-lug adapter.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I don't remember hearing that but it sure would be nice!
View Quote
maybe if we stir up enough interest they might listen?!?!?!
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 8:44:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote
I definitely saw something about trading in pistons, I think it was one of the distributors that said it.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:16:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I definitely saw something about trading in pistons, I think it was one of the distributors that said it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I messaged Chris with Rugged. We'll see what he says...

Would've been nice to be able to choose thread pitch at time of purchase (purchased from Silencer Shop), but maybe they were just trying to get orders filled out the door, and I understand that.
Link Posted: 3/24/2017 10:53:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Would've been nice to be able to choose thread pitch at time of purchase (purchased from Silencer Shop), but maybe they were just trying to get orders filled out the door, and I understand that.
View Quote
Sweet, I have 1 in hand and 1 on order, I sure as hell don't need 2 pistons.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Let us know what he says, I appreciate you doing this, I just don't want to get stuck with a piston I'm probably never going to use and for all I know they could put back into a new obsidian on its way out the door
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 9:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Let us know what he says, I appreciate you doing this, I just don't want to get stuck with a piston I'm probably never going to use and for all I know they could put back into a new obsidian on its way out the door
View Quote
I got mine from Capitol Armory, their website lets you pick any piston I wanted at the time of purchase and I'm sure they would have let me change my mind when I picked it up.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:47:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Anybody use the 9mm end cap on theirs? Just wondering if it's worth it in terms of DB reduction.
I will be honest, I am having some second thoughts compared to a Omega9k, hoping to squeeze some good db reduction out of the K config.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anybody use the 9mm end cap on theirs? Just wondering if it's worth it in terms of DB reduction.
I will be honest, I am having some second thoughts compared to a Omega9k, hoping to squeeze some good db reduction out of the K config.
View Quote
@DetrhoytMAK has one and is running it in K config
I thought about getting the Omega9K but the Obsidian gives you so much versatility, thats why I ended up buying 2.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:30:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Since you guys are talking about the Omega 9K here's a comparison. I just picked up my Obsidian this Friday, which I bought in May (Check cashed June 15). The Omega doesn't have a mount on it, but I was running it with the Rugged 3 lug which is currently on the Obsidian. Also, my Surge is to the right.

Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:37:37 AM EDT
[#11]
how does it sound compared to the Omega9k?
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 12:42:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I thought about getting the Omega9K but the Obsidian gives you so much versatility, thats why I ended up buying 2.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
They sound close, but the 9k does have a sharper tone..here is a comparison vid on an MPX...Obsidian has a 9mm endcap:  https://youtu.be/a2en1ar_bVE

And a comparison pic with 3-lug mounts:
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:18:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
I ordered from Hansohn Bros. and while their website didn't let you choose your own piston, I messaged them and they said they'd be happy to swap out the default 13x1 for what I needed at shipping.  That might depend on availability at the time though, as it seems everyone has trouble keeping Rugged pistons in stock.
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 3:51:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I put a bunch of 158gr Prvy through mine yesterday and it sounded pretty good. My experience with suppressors is limited, though, and I don't have another can with which to compare 9mm suppression. But I'm certainly happy with it!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 8:41:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I ordered from Hansohn Bros. and while their website didn't let you choose your own piston, I messaged them and they said they'd be happy to swap out the default 13x1 for what I needed at shipping.  That might depend on availability at the time though, as it seems everyone has trouble keeping Rugged pistons in stock.
View Quote
I'll have to talk to Chris next time i'm down there then, I don't remember him saying that
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 10:35:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
The long config with 9mm end cap sounds great on my P226. The action noise is louder than the muzzle. 
Link Posted: 3/26/2017 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes, we now offer the option since common thread pitches are available.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll have to talk to Chris next time i'm down there then, I don't remember him saying that
Yes, we now offer the option since common thread pitches are available.
Thanks Chris!! If you wouldn't mind switching mine out to 1/2x28  Yet another reason I support Hansohn Brothers
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 12:11:59 PM EDT
[#19]
My Obsidian 45 finally came in, picked it up Friday, took it to the range yesterday... of my other .45 cans (AAC Ti-rant and Griffin Revo 45) the Obsidian is the quietest and has the least POI shift of any pistol can I have fired. Just ordered a 1/2x28 pistol and 9mm end cap to run on my glock... very impressed with this guy...

makes me want to buy another .45 host...
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Mine just got approved. Waiting on a 1/2x28 piston to show up. Debating doing the silicone treatment while I wait, as it hasn't had any rounds through it yet.

I'm not finding 1/2x28 fixed mounts in stock anywhere. What are my options for fixed barrel spacers?
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:03:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I've shot my Obsidian twice since I got it and love it.  Went with friends to an indoor range and it was the favorite. I brought a Dead Air Sandman S also. I really really like this can also. We shot the Obsidian on a Sig SP2022 in the short config with the 45 end cap. Very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:41:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haven't heard back from Rugged yet, but I did contact Silencer Shop (where I purchased from) and they were awesome as usual. Said to send it back and they'd have the thread pitch of my choosing sent back to me. I'm super happy with SS customer service.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine just got approved. Waiting on a 1/2x28 piston to show up. Debating doing the silicone treatment while I wait, as it hasn't had any rounds through it yet.

I'm not finding 1/2x28 fixed mounts in stock anywhere. What are my options for fixed barrel spacers?
View Quote
What is this silicone treatment you speak of?
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What is this silicone treatment you speak of?
View Quote
http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html

...pickup Mr Obsidian tomorrow.  Gonna just treat it with fireclean and call it.  Might try the silicon thing with the rimfire can.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:02:47 AM EDT
[#26]
... nevermind I've asked this question before.

I'm supposed to be getting my approval sometime this month and I kinda wish I had bought a .308 can with a quick detach mount for a muzzle break and then additionally purchased the Obsidian specifically for pistol use since I can't quick mount the Obsidian to a rifle that has a muzzle break attached and I can't shoot 300 blackout supersonic through it either.

I'm thinking about making it a direct thread setup and making it a dedicated subsonic gun, then just using my suppressed 556 for supersonic hunting.

So I can either use the piston with a piston spacer for that or I can take the piston off, save some space, and do the fixed mount right?
Because between those two, it sounds like the fixed mount is the better option.

And does anybody know when the fixed will be released or if any other companies make one that compatible?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

http://www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html

...pickup Mr Obsidian tomorrow.  Gonna just treat it with fireclean and call it.  
View Quote
How about Frog lube?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:33:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 9:50:00 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The Rugged 5/8x24 fixed mount is available now.
View Quote
ordered. So I just unscrew the piston part of the suppressor and screw the body and baffle stack directly to this adapter which screws onto the AR barrel right?

And I also realized that they're shipping me a .45 piston so I'm going to have to get a 1/2x28 piston as well or a thread adapter for the .45 piston or see if they'll do a exchange I guess?
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:14:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Correct. 
View Quote
Holy shit Hansohn brothers, it's about damn time you got off you butt and shipped my order (for free).

Order Date:      03/29/17 at 8:54 AM
Shipped Date:   03/29/17 at 9:13AM

I just wish you were more responsive to customers on Arfcom
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 12:11:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Holy sh*t Hansohn brothers, it's about damn time you got off you butt and shipped my order (for free).

View Quote
Slow day I guess, y'all must be bored
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy sh*t Hansohn brothers, it's about damn time you got off you butt and shipped my order (for free).

I've heard that business is slowing down for NFA guys after 41P went into effect and people are hoping for the HPA to come around.
I'm thinking that in the interm, it's only civilly responsible for me to buy a .308 can to support these struggling small business owners.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 3:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've heard that business is slowing down for NFA guys after 41P went into effect and people are hoping for the HPA to come around.
I'm thinking that in the interm, it's only civilly responsible for me to buy a .308 can to support these struggling small business owners.
View Quote
If the atf would get around to sending my stamp for a can I'm waiting on I'd spend some money at Hansohn Brothers when I pick up said can, well assuming chris finds some of the 1/2x36 3 lug adapters that he doesn't have listed online
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

How about Frog lube?
View Quote
Frog Lube really slowed my stuff down in the winter.  Probably user error but I sidelined it.

Just got the tool in.  Comes with 2 parts and works like a charm.

Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Holy shit Hansohn brothers, it's about damn time you got off you butt and shipped my order (for free).

View Quote
Well I received my little direct thread adapter thingy last night in the mail, 3/3/17, which was stupid fast considering that I didn't get charged a single penny for shipping. I forgot to order a thread protector so I think I'm going to abuse Hanson brothers shipping policy again too.

Now if the ATF can just get off their asses and work through their 41P backlog that they're getting 2 million a day for.

Seriously though, if people had to wait 10 mo. for a drivers license or a passport there would riots and pillaging.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 8:07:55 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:35:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Yay!

Order placed.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:16:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Cant wait to pick mine up this weekend!!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:16:15 AM EDT
[#40]
This is my first boosted can. Do I need to lube the piston? If yes, what to use?
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 6:43:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is my first boosted can. Do I need to lube the piston? If yes, what to use?
View Quote
I don't know what Rugged recommends but SiCo recommends lubing the piston. I just use a little of whatever grease I have handy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 5:09:57 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Frog Lube really slowed my stuff down in the winter.  Probably user error but I sidelined it.

Just got the tool in.  Comes with 2 parts and works like a charm.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3954/32886604174_488f03ea6a_c.jpg
View Quote
Where did you find the tools?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 7:08:24 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Where did you find the tools?
View Quote
Rugged Website
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:17:54 PM EDT
[#44]
This should be out of jail any day now and was going to be specifically for my hk45t. I have a noveske 300blk build just around the corner and will be dedicating a Silencerco Omega to that.  

In the meantime is there something I can use on the 300blk build that will take both the rugged obsidian and then take the Omega?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#45]
My Obsidian was approved Monday so hopefully my dealer will be calling soon. Silencer Shop did switch out the piston to the 1/2-28 for me just by asking. I called Rugged about the 9mm end cap as it was not listed on their site any longer and they told me that they discontinued it due to strikes. They did say they would warrantee it if I purchased one from another retailer but who wants to take that chance?
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:15:18 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 12:59:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Interesting news about the 9mm end cap availability from Rugged.

I shot an Obsidian over the weekend on a G-19 host with the 9mm end cap and witnessed a slight rolling or peening of the exit bore on the cap at the 6 o'clock position after four or five magazines. I was using a Glock factory barrel in 13.5 metric.

I'm pretty sure I had no loss of torque on the barrel during the whole time as I checked the barrel every 5 rounds or so. I think the culprit a lot of the time is people trust too much the fact that barrels will have threads that are perfectly concentric to the bore. Many times over the years I seen this not to be the case. Plated bullets with too much crimp can also slightly upset a bullet path through the can, and even tumble into the target. I don't know this but my other causal theory might be turbulence created by shooting 9mm bullets in an over bore 45 can might create enough turbulence to tip or wobble a bullet enough to create a strike at bore exit.

I will say this. I shot the Obsidian full length with a 9mm end cap head to head with a Ti-RANT 9mm and there is no comparison. The Ti-RANT was both noticeably quieter and pleasing in tone than the Obsidian ---same host and load combination. I'm picking up my own Obsidian today. I was sold on the construction, modularity, and since I'm an admitted db chaser, the SS testing video which indicated that it was as quiet or slightly better than the Ti-RANT tested in the same manner.

11 months later I'm wishing I went with my gut and bought the Ti-RANT......or waited for the Ti-RANT M for that matter. Might even dump the Obsidian unfired and do just that.

No....I'm not emotional about it

TR
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 2:40:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

11 months later I'm wishing I went with my gut and bought the Ti-RANT......or waited for the Ti-RANT M for that matter. Might even dump the Obsidian unfired and do just that.

No....I'm not emotional about it

TR
View Quote
As your attorney, I advise you to keep the Obsidian and buy an MP5 clone or Skorpion Evo, STAT!

Dang man.  I was sure when we went head-to-head the Obsidian would sound better.  Sounds like you found another Obsidian owner to do the comparo.

Since I picked it up I have only shot the Obsidian on a PCC other than 10 rounds through the USP9T.  The Lawman 147 pelted me a bunch with every round, I assume it would be worse with a 9mm can.  Next time I will try the both the USP9T and 226, see if I notice or hear a difference.
Link Posted: 6/5/2017 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#50]
We still can if you can get a pass from your boss. I have all the stuff and 147's loaded quiet with N320.

TR
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top