BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:33:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Saker/Omega tools work well on the Rugged 3-Lug Mount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you guys (dealers) post some pics of the Rugged 3-lug internals?

Is the spring as strong as that in the GA 3-lug?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

It looks like the Rugged spring makes ~3 1/2 complete revolutions, and the Griffin spring makes ~4 1/2 complete revolutions. That, plus the fact that I already have an old Griffin 3 lug and the wrench to remove it has the old and revised spacing to remove the Griffin 3 lug from the can, means I'll go ahead and wait for Griffin to be back in stock.

Does Rugged make a wrench to remove the 3 lug when it gets stuck inside the can?

Ordered the Saker Replacement Multi tool based on this recommendation and it does NOT interface with the 3 lug mount.....  At least I got it essentially with free shipping.....
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:40:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Have access to a few 9mm front caps...

-Lee
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:20:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Hansohn Brothers has 3 lug mounts in stock with 15% off
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 8:38:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

With what code?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

With what code?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With what code?

BF16
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Does Rugged make a wrench to remove the 3 lug when it gets stuck inside the can?
View Quote

I use a wrench to take it off. I use one of these all around the gun room, great for grabbing and turning anything (smooth jaws don't mar, especially if you put electrical tape on them) and also good for smoothly pressing roll pins into place. I haven't hammered on a lower build in a while.

https://www.amazon.com/Knipex-8603250-10-Inch-Pliers-Wrench/dp/B000X4OG94/

Million and one uses and a real kickass piece of hardware.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:41:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ordered the Saker Replacement Multi tool based on this recommendation and it does NOT interface with the 3 lug mount.....  At least I got it essentially with free shipping.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It looks like the Rugged spring makes ~3 1/2 complete revolutions, and the Griffin spring makes ~4 1/2 complete revolutions. That, plus the fact that I already have an old Griffin 3 lug and the wrench to remove it has the old and revised spacing to remove the Griffin 3 lug from the can, means I'll go ahead and wait for Griffin to be back in stock.

Hmm...just triple checked my Obsidian 3-Lug Mount and my Silecnerco Tool(unsure Saker or Omega..too many tools)...works for me...fit is not tight, but there is enough grip/mating area between the tool and the 3-Lug scallops to tighten and lossen the 3-lug Mount onto the body...here are some pics:

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 1:55:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Hmm...just triple checked my Obsidian 3-Lug Mount and my Silecnerco Tool(unsure Saker or Omega..too many tools)...works for me...fit is not tight, but there is enough grip/mating area between the tool and the 3-Lug scallops to tighten and lossen the 3-lug Mount onto the body...here are some pics:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eczFQ_Zvl4g_6-meT-Jx3KXwF7rWGbdW7k57kBGH5qqNQEGKC_9rSJYwkEmQ2FsFm9lNRxoj8Zc9Lw=w1024-h762-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Kd0lHhrbq1xKrrmIjkGE1PH4VVxon-xKMO-3YOZXP7jYxXk23Gr0nv0DhQ1mwEWwzwymu5hkNVRULA=w1024-h762-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gzaDn1zbDKHWPAD0UUzZLYdT9__j7oQJKYxX-Q7yQYhz1EVptTf8oOcRPE0_fXpcMCXAnqYtDf4Z1w=w1024-h762-no
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/eczFQ_Zvl4g_6-meT-Jx3KXwF7rWGbdW7k57kBGH5qqNQEGKC_9rSJYwkEmQ2FsFm9lNRxoj8Zc9Lw=w1024-h762-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Kd0lHhrbq1xKrrmIjkGE1PH4VVxon-xKMO-3YOZXP7jYxXk23Gr0nv0DhQ1mwEWwzwymu5hkNVRULA=w1024-h762-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/gzaDn1zbDKHWPAD0UUzZLYdT9__j7oQJKYxX-Q7yQYhz1EVptTf8oOcRPE0_fXpcMCXAnqYtDf4Z1w=w1024-h762-no

The saker tool has the pins in a smaller diameter....

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0157/8968/products/saker_tool_edit_grande.jpg?v=1460138524
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0157/8968/products/saker_tool_edit_grande.jpg?v=1460138524

Ahh..OK...then its the Omega tool...sincere apologies...thought the Saker/Omega tools were the same.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Just called Rugged CS to ask a question about a 3lug mount and didn't catch the guys name but have to say he was one of the nicest folks I have gotten on the phone at a company. Did not expect any less but was still quite pleased.

Look forward to trying the Obsidian this weekend.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#11]
I picked up my Obsidian last week and I've shot it a couple times now on my USP. In the long configuration it's extremely quiet, which I expected, but I was not expecting it to sound as good as it does in the short configuration. I'm VERY impressed by the short configuration, it's a lot of sound reduction and much lighter and more compact than the full length.

I have a 3 lug mount but I haven't tried it on my MKE MP5 clones yet. Maybe on my next range trip.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Picked up my Obsidian tonight.  Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to get to the range until after Christmas....

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Tried it for first time. Back to back I preferred the deeper tone (as perceived by my ears. YMMV) of the Obsidian in K configuration than the Omega 9k. Still think the Omega 9k is great but was supprised by the deeper tone of the Obsidian. Only tried it in K configuration on two hosts with 147 and 158gr. Their 3lug mount also locks up very tight which was nice.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 8:24:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Damnit I can't believe I missed the 15% off at Hansohn brothers for the rugged 3lug
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:06:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:47:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I received a call yesterday.... Santa made an early delivery. (Not really since I ordered it back in Jan....) 

Hopefully this week the weather will climb back in to the double digits so I can take it out and have a bit of fun. (Will also try it out on the PPQ and .300 BO AR pistol

Fixed some links...
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I got the call today as well- went pending 4/14
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 11:45:26 AM EDT
[#18]
I was literally reading this thread and got the call!  Picking it up tomorrow morning!!  4/12 check cashed
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Looks like that answers any doubt I had on getting mine before next year, check cashed 5/4/16 I called and they said January. Looks like it's gonna be January. 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:27:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Octane Fixed Mount AC153 or Harvester Thread Mount AC634.  Both are 5/8x24
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So what do I need to attach this thing to a 300 blackout barrel thats 5/8x24 or whatever?

Octane Fixed Mount AC153 or Harvester Thread Mount AC634.  Both are 5/8x24

So my form 3 cleared and I'm hoping that my form 4 comes soon.

I'm revisiting this post because I want to direct thread the suppressor on my 9mm pistol with the included 9mm piston, however, I want to run the 300 Blackout AR-15 with the suppressor off and supersonic rounds most of the time, and only put the suppressor on when I'm shooting subsonics.

This leads me to re-format my question. Which flash suppressor or 3 chamber break can I permanently attach to the end of a 300 Blackout barrel and still mount the Obsidian to?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:43:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

So my form 3 cleared and I'm hoping that my form 4 comes soon.

I'm revisiting this post because I want to direct thread the suppressor on my 9mm pistol with the included 9mm piston, however, I want to run the 300 Blackout AR-15 with the suppressor off and supersonic rounds most of the time, and only put the suppressor on when I'm shooting subsonics.

This leads me to re-format my question. Which flash suppressor or 3 chamber break can I permanently attach to the end of a 300 Blackout barrel and still mount the Obsidian to?
View Quote

3 lug?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:46:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

3 lug?
View Quote

Is there any way that I can get one of those Rugged 3 port 7.62 brakes and mount an Obsidian to that?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Is there any way that I can get one of those Rugged 3 port 7.62 brakes and mount an Obsidian to that?
View Quote

Sure, buy a Surge, cut the bottom off, file a form 1 to make a new suppressor, and weld it to the bottom of the Obsidian. That will give you the ability to use the Surge/Razor mounting system.

Otherwise the answer is no -- the mounting system is completely different and the diameters are different.

3-lug is an easy solution to your ask though -- I'm using 3 lug on a 10.3" Daniel Defense because my Optimus is rated for both subs and supers with that length and mount.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Gonna be expensive but 3-lug on the rifle plus one of those "brake" things like Griffin sells called the Revolution Brake.  I think that means multiple 3-lug couplers unless you want to remove them all the time to go back and forth.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:37:59 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, so if my purchase comes with a form 4, a can and a piston for 9mm threads, do I need anything to mount the 3 lug to the can?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:07:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok, so if my purchase comes with a form 4, a can and a piston for 9mm threads, do I need anything to mount the 3 lug to the can?
View Quote

One of these (OOS at Rugged but in stock at many fine dealers. Got mine from Hahnson but they're OOS too):
https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/3-lug-mount/

And one of these:
https://www.griffinarmament.com/Revolution-3-Lug-Adapters-p/93l.htm

Or you could just get a thread protector for your barrel threads for unsuppressed and a fixed mount for the can.

That could be this:
https://www.store.silencerco.com/collections/silencer-accessories/products/fixed-barrel-spacer?variant=221756540
to prevent movement of the piston/booster assembly

Or this:
https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/fixed-mount/
which I don't think I've seen released yet but haven't really been looking because 3 lug.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:30:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know who makes the plastic boxes Rugged uses for their suppressors and mounts? They are great, I would like to buy some extras.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:46:15 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Anyone know who makes the plastic boxes Rugged uses for their suppressors and mounts? They are great, I would like to buy some extras.
View Quote
Maybe here or here.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:46:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't have an obsidian () but my Griffin Recce 7 came in a blue plastic weird box that looks identical.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:04:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome, thanks! And also, thanks for the great BF sale, I got a Rugged three lug from you for a great price. Tried it last week on my Octane 9mm and it worked great. I am itching to try it on my Omega 9k too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 12:45:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Agree. They are nice. Even have the foam at either end of the box. Would purchase extras as well.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 1:11:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
That's funny, I've thrown away thousands of them over the years. Machine shop tooling comes in those plastic sleeves, end mills, insert cutters, large taps, ECT.

If you know a machinist ask him to save you some.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That's funny, I've thrown away thousands of them over the years. Machine shop tooling comes in those plastic sleeves, end mills, insert cutters, large taps, ECT.

If you know a machinist ask him to save you some.
View Quote

Exactly what I was thinking, I've used those things for projects in past years.  My buddy works for a machine shop gets them for free rather than them going into the trash.  My Rugged Surge and associated muzzle devices came with them too.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Finally went and got my obsidian today. Check was cashed April 12.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Range Report - Took my new Obsidian to the indoor range.  It was amazing on my GLock 19.  I don't have a threaded .45 barrel for my XD, so I haven't used it on that yet.  I also used it on my 300BLK suppressed.  No issues at all.  I actually have not fired that gun till today.  8.5" upper.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 12:17:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Just to add...Check your baffle stack when you 1st get your suppressor.  I took mine out and put a bunch of rounds thru it.  Came home to clean it and the baffle stack was all out of order.  Blast baffle was in the middle etc.....Could have been the dealer.  Just check 1st.  Nothing got messed up, but glad I checked.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 1:16:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Does anyone have an m9a3 and/or know if the standard obsidian piston will clear the guide rod?
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#38]
The Obsidian is compatible with the M9A3. The Obsidian ships standard with a .578x28 piston (standard 45 ACP threading), so you will need to purchase a 1/2x28 piston for use with the standard 9mm threading on the M9A3.

Thanks!

Grant
Rugged Suppressors
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Range Report - Took my new Obsidian to the indoor range.  It was amazing on my GLock 19.  I don't have a threaded .45 barrel for my XD, so I haven't used it on that yet.  I also used it on my 300BLK suppressed.  No issues at all.  I actually have not fired that gun till today.  8.5" upper.
View Quote

The prices of aftermarket threaded barrels for XD pistols are retarded.  After figure out the numbers, I actually sold my 3 years old XDM 3.8 compact to buy a new XDM 4.5 with factory threaded barrel and suppressor sights, 3 mags for 40 bucks extra.

$494 was what I paid after tax at LGS.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:45:26 AM EDT
[#40]
I know it IS ridiculous.  A rip for sure
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:40:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Just picked up mine last weekend and plan to take it out this weekend. Before I did though I wanted to check with you guys on something, when you screw the ADAPT module onto the main tube does it seal completely? When I put mine together there is a small gap between the two modules.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Just picked up mine last weekend and plan to take it out this weekend. Before I did though I wanted to check with you guys on something, when you screw the ADAPT module onto the main tube does it seal completely? When I put mine together there is a small gap between the two modules.
View Quote
Mine looks just like the pictures on Rugged's product page.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:04:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

A small gap is normal. The Obsidian does seal completely--there is an O-ring in between the main suppressor body and ADAPT module that the module screws down on. The small gap that you see is the result of the tapered circumference of the ADAPT module above the threads, and does not affect the seal. If you post pictures I'll be happy to confirm that you're good to go.

Thanks!

Grant
Rugged Suppressors
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:26:41 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

A small gap is normal. The Obsidian does seal completely--there is an O-ring in between the main suppressor body and ADAPT module that the module screws down on. The small gap that you see is the result of the tapered circumference of the ADAPT module above the threads, and does not affect the seal. If you post pictures I'll be happy to confirm that you're good to go.

Thanks!

Grant
Rugged Suppressors
View Quote
 This is what it looks like, the o-ring definitely engages I just wanted to make sure it was normal before I took it out

.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 12:38:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've probably put about 300 rounds through my Obsidian now, pretty much in the "full" configuization.  In the short confiuization, although a little louder, still sounds very good.

VERY happy with the can, well made.  

Shooting with a Sig 220 in the same spot, same ammo, I'd say the obsidian is slightly less "in sound" than my Octane.  Honestly though, if standing 10' away, really can't notice a difference.  Keep in mind though, I shoot the octane without hearing protection so my hearing my not be as sensitive as others.

Since I got the octane for about $225 less than the obsidian, MORE than happy with the octane.  If the octane and obsidian were within $100 of each other, obsidian would get the nod, both for sound and modularity capability if I could only have one .45 can.  I'm assuming Rugged is in the game to stay, and considering they are familiar with Silecnerco, I'm going to assume their customer service will be second to none as well.

Shooting both the Octane and Obsidian on a .22 bolt, although both are quiet (hand't done them side by side yet) I can tell you that neither are as quiet as a dedicated rimfire can.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:19:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
 This is what it looks like, the o-ring definitely engages I just wanted to make sure it was normal before I took it out

.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/60642/Rugged-107328.JPG
View Quote

Good to go! Enjoy your can!

Thanks,

Grant
Rugged Suppressors
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Good to go! Enjoy your can!

Thanks,

Grant
Rugged Suppressors
View Quote

Perfect, thanks for the reply.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#48]
You can buy those square adjustable tubes at McMaster-Carr, probably other industrial supply places. The round twisty ones are also nice.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#storage-tubes/=15ieg53
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Although I'd generally prefer the direct response from Rugged, NFAReview said the opposite. I have a SiCo Osprey/Octane spacer coming and will test it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes, the Octane FB mounts will work.  

Found this response on a HK forum

You can use Octane pistons and fixed thread mounts.

We will not be making fixed barrel spacers for the Obsidian. Octane fixed barrel spacers will not work.

Chris Brady | Marketing Director

640 N Hwy 25, Travelers Rest, SC 29690
(864) 313-9166 (direct)

Although I'd generally prefer the direct response from Rugged, NFAReview said the opposite. I have a SiCo Osprey/Octane spacer coming and will test it.

OK I just personally checked and verified a few things for you guys.

1. The SiCo fixed spacer does work. I mounted it on a gun and pulled on it, there is no rattle or movement. It fit like a glove, and was the same size as the spring it replaced.
2. The SiCo fixed adaptor (replaces the piston & spring) fits like a glove too.
3. The SiCo Harvester 5/8x24 flush fixed mount fits perfectly. This also drops the OAL by a solid 1/4" over option 1 & 2.
3. Griffin Armament 3-lug adaptor does fit. You compress the spring down and push while threading it into the can body. Fit perfect. It did have some rotational movement once on the 3-lug barrel but no up or down wobble. It should be good to go. It felt fine.

All that being said, I don't like hodge podge parts on my guns and cans but it should hold you over till Rugged can catch up on production and you can support them by buying theirs as well. Also I would check with them about warranty issues but Rugged is a pretty kickass company so I don't see them screwing you over because you had a brain fart.

Hope that helps!

Has anyone used the SiCo Harvester direct thread mount with the Obsidian?
Link Posted: 12/31/2016 10:07:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Are we going to eventually get a disassembly tool for removing the different suppressor mounts
What kind of tool is everyone using for swapping the pistons and 3 lug mounts?
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top