Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My Obsidian has the same numbers are yours and doesn't have the arrow head on the module as well and mine was purchased from the silencer shop on January 6.
I would love to see the pictures comparing the two as I'm going to be using it onmy scorpion with a three lug adapter when my form 1 gets approved anytime now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Obsidian has the same numbers are yours and doesn't have the arrow head on the module as well and mine was purchased from the silencer shop on January 6.
I would love to see the pictures comparing the two as I'm going to be using it onmy scorpion with a three lug adapter when my form 1 gets approved anytime now.
View Quote

Really liking the versatility of the Obsidian with the Silencerco mounts and pistons.  Here are some pics with the Scorpion with an HKParts 3-Lug Adapter and direct thread using an Octane Direct Thread Adapter:

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 1:42:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Really liking the versatility of the Obsidian with the Silencerco mounts and pistons.  Here are some pics with the Scorpion with an HKParts 3-Lug Adapter and direct thread using an Octane Direct Thread mount:

http://tinyurl.com/h2e9lyr
http://tinyurl.com/jeuvmjk
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really liking the versatility of the Obsidian with the Silencerco mounts and pistons.  Here are some pics with the Scorpion with an HKParts 3-Lug Adapter and direct thread using an Octane Direct Thread mount:

Pics aren't showing for me.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:37:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Browser issue? Shows for me

Love the look of the direct thread. The 3 lug looks so awkward on the scorpion
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Love the look
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love the look

Not sure, but they work now.

Looks good! I like that direct thread on the Obsidian.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 3:12:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Took some pics comparing how the Rugged 3-Lug Mount sits in the Omega 9k.  It seems that the Rugged 3-Lug Mount will sit farther away from the Omega 9k's first baffle compared with the Obsidian.  I have not yet put rounds through the Rugged 3-Lug Adapter/Omega 9K...but fit is really nice and it works on ALL my 3-Lug adapters unlike the GA 3-Lug mount(I think I'm gonna sell the GA-Lug..still new in package).  I'm going to put a few round through the combo and see if there are any issues....if no issues..I'll purchase another Rugged 3-Lug Mount for the Omega 9k.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 4:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics don't work for me either... Links ask me to sign into google....
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 6:00:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Pics don't come through at all using an iPad.  UPDATE: whatever you did, pics are now visible in your post on my iPad.

When I saw mine at the SOT I was pissed and called Rugged, they said I could send it in once my stamp clears to have it fully cerakoted. My take, they rammed them out the door because of the approaching 41P and decided that was the step they could eliminate and then deal with complaints after the fact. They should've never sent the fully cerakoted ones out for the reviewers.

Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:10:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Pics don't come through at all using an iPad.

When I saw mine at the SOT I was pissed and called Rugged, they said I could send it in once my stamp clears to have it fully cerakoted. My take, they rammed them out the door because of the approaching 41P and decided that was the step they could eliminate and then deal with complaints after the fact. They should've never sent the fully cerakoted ones out for the reviewers.
View Quote

I'll have to send them an email.

It's funny seeing one that was ordered immediately after they went up for sale not looking like the review models sent out to the YouTubers. I'm looking forward to using the can, but getting one that wasn't cerakoted was a bummer. I'm glad to see they're making it right.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's funny seeing one that was ordered immediately after they went up for sale not looking like the review models sent out to the YouTubers. I'm looking forward to using the can, but getting one that wasn't cerakoted was a bummer. I'm glad to see they're making it right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pics don't come through at all using an iPad.

Yeah, not the end of the world. I have no doubt they'll take care of it and it is a kick ass can. it will be a long time for my stamp so I'll know for sure what they're doing to correct the issue.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#11]
So is the general opinion to just buy the rugged 3-lug adapter and their 3 lugged mount?
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 2:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So is the general opinion to just buy the rugged 3-lug adapter and their 3 lugged mount?
View Quote

They only have their own 3 lug mount.  Have to either buy a barrel with the 3 lug adapter machined on or buy the adapter in the correct thread pitch for your barrel.
Link Posted: 10/4/2016 10:22:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The 3 lug mount worked well with my scorpion sbr.  Nice not having to worry about torquing down constantly like on my pistol.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

They only have their own 3 lug mount.  Have to either buy a barrel with the 3 lug adapter machined on or buy the adapter in the correct thread pitch for your barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well who makes an adapter that is quality but not insanely overpriced? GA or Sico? Looking for info because I'll have to buy 2 or 3.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Well who makes an adapter that is quality but not insanely overpriced? GA or Sico? Looking for info because I'll have to buy 2 or 3.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HK Parts and TROS

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:56:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Scorpion with an 3 lug adapter and an Obsidian looks like this:
" />

ETA: flash light is in the way...I have to retake the picture again.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Scorpion with an 3 lug adapter and an Obsidian looks like this:
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=92564" />

ETA: flash light is in the way...I have to retake the picture again.
View Quote

Have you "run" the gun yet?
I had my optic pretty far forward initially and ended up moving it back because it was in the way of doing the "HK Slap" to charge the gun. Wondering if your optic is in a good spot?

Gel rest looking gun by the way, the Obsidian is making me jealous
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#18]
yes I have shot the gun and use the bolt release instead of the "HK slap".  If you are into the slap then it may have to move it back like you state.
I could do without the lock back function because the bolt release will not work with the release all the way back and locked.

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 11:25:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Obsidian short config fits nicely on the TROS 3-Lug barrel..kinda looks like a TiRant:

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 6:26:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Finally got to shoot the Obsidian yesterday with the MPX.  Long config is just a tad quieter than a TiRant 45.  The short config has a deeper tone(no slap sound) and a tad quieter compared with the Omega 9K.  The short config with the Rugged 3-Lug Mount is about 0.50" longer than the Omega 9K with the Silencerco 3-Lug mount...but a tad quieter and a deeper tone.  Gas blowback on the MPX is non-existent in the long config and much lower than the Omega 9K in the short config.  I'm really...really liking the Obsidian on the MPX.

Below are some pics of the Obsidian with other 3-Lug short cans.  Hoping that my pics show up....hosting pics on google photos since google discontinued picasa and I'm still getting used to getting the appropriate photo links.

Link Posted: 10/8/2016 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Finally got to shoot the Obsidian yesterday with the MPX.  Long config is just a tad quieter than a TiRant 45.  The short config has a deeper tone(no slap sound) and a tad quieter compared with the Omega 9K.  The short config with the Rugged 3-Lug Mount is about 0.50" longer than the Omega 9K with the Silencerco 3-Lug mount...but a tad quieter and a deeper tone.  Gas blowback on the MPX is non-existent in the long config and much lower than the Omega 9K in the short config.  I'm really...really liking the Obsidian on the MPX.

Below are some pics of the Obsidian with other 3-Lug short cans.  Hoping that my pics show up....hosting pics on google photos since google discontinued picasa and I'm still getting used to getting the appropriate photo links.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/haRrhgzPlS7rv7s5HjNIqQ7cZdR9DO9BjFm2x7VO1gsUNNx0WEaLCudjwlPeEJ2Mf8Plwx59DxhAOQ=w1024-h1097-no
View Quote

Your pics are showing up for me now, they haven't been the last few days. Obsidian looks awesome, but the Omega 9K with the Rugged/Griffin 3-lug would be shorter than the Tirant 9S with 3-lug.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 8:12:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Your pics are showing up for me now, they haven't been the last few days. Obsidian looks awesome, but the Omega 9K with the Rugged/Griffin 3-lug would be shorter than the Tirant 9S with 3-lug.
View Quote

I hear ya.  I have the GA 3-Lug mount but I prefer the Rugged 3-Lug Mount in the Omega 9K.  I have not yet shot that combo...maybe the next range session.  Below is a check fit of the Omega 9K with the Rugged 3-Lug mount..and yeah...it is VERY short:

Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Great pics guys!

And a PSA: Rugged did stop engraving the obsidian logo on the module. It was just a mid production change to give it a cleaner look, etc and does not indicate or affect anything.
Link Posted: 10/10/2016 4:39:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Great pics guys!

And a PSA: Rugged did stop engraving the obsidian logo on the module. It was just a mid production change to give it a cleaner look, etc and does not indicate or affect anything.
View Quote

Wish they would have left it. I liked the logo
Link Posted: 10/15/2016 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Who has a Rugged 3 lug mount in stock? Been scouring all my usual online stores and not finding one.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:10:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Great pics guys!

View Quote

Did somebody say "collectors item"?
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 8:56:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Who has a Rugged 3 lug mount in stock? Been scouring all my usual online stores and not finding one.
View Quote

Sign up for all the out of stock notifications.  They just hit the market and everyone bought the first round of deliveries.  More should be on the way soon.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone used the SiCo Osprey fixed barrel spacers with Obsidian pistons? I'm contacting Rugged about this as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Has anyone used the SiCo Osprey fixed barrel spacers with Obsidian pistons? I'm contacting Rugged about this as well.
View Quote

I want to know this as well-- I really don't want to have to go 3 lug
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 1:25:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Aside from the cost..why not used a fixed mount...it will also be a little shorter.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#31]

If you mean This-

https://ruggedsuppressors.com/product/fixed-mount/

I would probably buy that,  if it were in stock

Help me understand ( this is my first pistol can ).  I can simply swap that (above)  out with the piston Housing,  and not need a spacer ? - correct?
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

SBR mpx stamp is back and now just need to prep the mpx for the obsidian. Been looking for one too. Nooooo where to be found either.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 12:26:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Aside from the cost..why not used a fixed mount...it will also be a little shorter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rugged fixed mounts are out of stock everywhere I've looked. Osprey spacers are plentiful.

That opens up the question of the Osprey/Octane fixed mounts being compatible but those are in short supply as well.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 4:01:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Hansohn has one 1/2x28 piston in stock at $70 right now. Gone now.

Capitol Armory also has them at $85.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 6:09:24 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Rugged fixed mounts are out of stock everywhere I've looked. Osprey spacers are plentiful.

That opens up the question of the Osprey/Octane fixed mounts being compatible but those are in short supply as well.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, the Octane FB mounts will work.

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 4:15:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Are the 3 lug mounts in stock anywhere? If not, has anyone heard an ETA when they will be available?
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Found this response on a HK forum

You can use Octane pistons and fixed thread mounts.

We will not be making fixed barrel spacers for the Obsidian. Octane fixed barrel spacers will not work.

Chris Brady | Marketing Director

640 N Hwy 25, Travelers Rest, SC 29690
(864) 313-9166 (direct)

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:23:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We will not be making fixed barrel spacers for the Obsidian. Octane fixed barrel spacers will not work.

(864) 313-9166 (direct)

Although I'd generally prefer the direct response from Rugged, NFAReview said the opposite. I have a SiCo Osprey/Octane spacer coming and will test it.

OK I just personally checked and verified a few things for you guys.

1. The SiCo fixed spacer does work. I mounted it on a gun and pulled on it, there is no rattle or movement. It fit like a glove, and was the same size as the spring it replaced.
2. The SiCo fixed adaptor (replaces the piston & spring) fits like a glove too.
3. The SiCo Harvester 5/8x24 flush fixed mount fits perfectly. This also drops the OAL by a solid 1/4" over option 1 & 2.
3. Griffin Armament 3-lug adaptor does fit. You compress the spring down and push while threading it into the can body. Fit perfect. It did have some rotational movement once on the 3-lug barrel but no up or down wobble. It should be good to go. It felt fine.

All that being said, I don't like hodge podge parts on my guns and cans but it should hold you over till Rugged can catch up on production and you can support them by buying theirs as well. Also I would check with them about warranty issues but Rugged is a pretty kickass company so I don't see them screwing you over because you had a brain fart.

Hope that helps!

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 5:23:54 PM EDT
[#39]
That was my post on HK.  Rugged later clarified that they did not test it so they weren't sure but it would probably work.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 11:12:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Are the 3 lug mounts in stock anywhere? If not, has anyone heard an ETA when they will be available?
View Quote

Rugged Obsidian 3-lug adapter is available at Capitol Armory right now 11pm est 10/24/16.

Better Hurry....

Rugged Obsidian 3-lug adapter
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:58:10 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Rugged Obsidian 3-lug adapter is available at Capitol Armory right now 11pm est 10/24/16.

Better Hurry....

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better Hurry....

OOS
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:24:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

OOS
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Better Hurry....

OOS

Back in stock as of 10:30pm est 10/25/16

Ordered mine Monday night and Capitol shipped it early Tuesday morning.  Awesome service
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

(864) 313-9166 (direct)

Both of these points are in direct contrast to information that I got from Rugged about 10 weeks ago.  However, that would make it even more important to get confirmation directly from them about both Octane spacers and eventual (or not) Rugged spacers.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 1:25:09 PM EDT
[#44]
So has anyone used the Obsidian 3 lug mount with the HK parts 3 lug adapter and the Griffin 3 lug adapter, if so which one has the tightest lockup?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:01:21 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So has anyone used the Obsidian 3 lug mount with the HK parts 3 lug adapter and the Griffin 3 lug adapter, if so which one has the tightest lockup?
View Quote

I do not have or used Hkparts adaptor but can honestly attest that lock up between my GA and the Obsidian mount are beyond tight. That spring that comes with Rugged is so stiff and when compared to my Tirant mount on same GA adaptor is like it is a fixed or welded suppressor on barrel....very impressed.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I do not have or used Hkparts adaptor but can honestly attest that lock up between my GA and the Obsidian mount are beyond tight. That spring that comes with Rugged is so stiff and when compared to my Tirant mount on same GA adaptor is like it is a fixed or welded suppressor on barrel....very impressed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mine is the same way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have the hk parts 3 lug adapter with the obsidian 3 lug mount and it locks up rock solid. I have no experience with the griffin adapter.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:18:54 PM EDT
[#48]
I have an HK parts 3 lug adapter on my Scorpion and it does fit snuggle.  As everyone stated the spring is very stiff in the Rugged 3 lug mount.  It takes effort to pull it down to rotate.  My as a hair (read very tiny) of rotational play but nothing I would consider obsessive or will cause a buffle strike.  I have close to 700 rounds with it on my scorpion using wolf 115, blazer 124, lawman 147gr, gold dot 147gr, federal hst 147 gr.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:13:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Thanks everyone for the feedback, I guess I'll go with the HK parts since the Griffin is nowhere to be found.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 1:34:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Great pics guys!

View Quote

I emailed Rugged about this and they stated that it still will have the logo. I also asked about the Razor and that will still have the logo as well. The logo's really shouldn't matter to me, but for some reason they do
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top