Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2015 7:17:04 PM EDT
got my suppressor about 2 months ago and finally got it out last night. It shot great, I started with my 16'' no issues at all, shot well, only issue i had was due to a failed promag magazine, which found its way onto the range....then i swapped it(while fairly hot) to my 7.5'' shot fine as well, no issues, adjusted the gas block a little, but nothing serious.

it was dark out, got it home to look at and clean everything, and the can it self looks like the coating burned off, it looks like almost bare metal, it only happened on the can end, where the attachment device that attaches to the flash hider, i think they call it the maad mounting, its still mostly black.

it doesnt look like it should do that, but this is my first suppressor, and my buddies griffin recce did not do this, also the flash hider turned a copperish color.

i plan on contacting silencerco tomorrow and see what they say, just thought id see if anyone has had a similar issue
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#1]
The Saker is finished in black oxide - try re-oiling it with some CLP and see if it returns to the original color.

Is it copper streaking? Does it look like bullet strikes or ??? Pictures would help.

Link Posted: 11/29/2015 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#2]
My saker did the same thing. I took it off while it was really hot.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:05:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Saker is finished in black oxide - try re-oiling it with some CLP and see if it returns to the original color.

Is it copper streaking? Does it look like bullet strikes or ??? Pictures would help.

View Quote

the copper color is on the OUTSIDE of the flash hider, not on the inside, no bullet strikes. i did wipe it down with rem oil like it says in the instructions, but it did nothing.

ill try to post some pics, but i have to dig up my photo bucket account, because posting a pic directly to the forum like every other forum isnt a thing here
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

did you talk to silencer co? or just leave it be?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can also use postimage.org if you want to post without an account.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ill try to post some pics, but i have to dig up my photo bucket account, because posting a pic directly to the forum like every other forum isnt a thing here

You can also use postimage.org if you want to post without an account.

Or Flickr or Imgur.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:39:17 PM EDT
[#7]
pics

heres the pics
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 9:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a silencerco issue, my nephews new specwar did the exact same thing and they refinished it for him.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Wow, it didn't sound like an issue to me until I saw the pics. From an aesthetic standpoint, I would be completely fine with that. But it would make me worry about the flash hider or the can corroding without a protective finish on them. Just email SilencerCo about it and see if they think it'll be an issue. If it's just aesthetics, I would leave it alone.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:15:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just left it. I bought some hi temp black spray paint but never used it.

Edit: I just saw you picture....mine looks exactly like that. When I took mine off, it was really hot and I used a oven mit.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:32:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Is the saker K rated to 7.5"?
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:37:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Is the saker K rated to 7.5"?
View Quote

Down to 7" in 5.56

Eta: my saker 762 looks the same, I always figured it was from my SS potholder.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#15]
That looks like my Saker 762 after my first 5 min of shooting. It's a SICO problem. Not a big deal IMO. I recoated mine recently with VHT high temp spray paint. Works great and looks good.

This only happenes when shooting 556. My Omega and Harvester look brand new (except for a few scratches) and not one 556 has been through them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 10:53:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The copper on your flash hider is from the copper of the bullet being heated and sprayed with the hot gasses.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The copper on your flash hider is from the copper of the bullet being heated and sprayed with the hot gasses.
View Quote

i used some remington, copper/fouler remover and a copper bristled brush, couldnt get it off, that color of the flash hider is after a scrub down, flash hider dis coloring doesnt bother me, i knwo that the shoulder that the suppressor mounts to will wear off eventually, ive seen alot fo them like that, was just wondering if it was normal
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:55:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Wow, it didn't sound like an issue to me until I saw the pics. From an aesthetic standpoint, I would be completely fine with that. But it would make me worry about the flash hider or the can corroding without a protective finish on them. Just email SilencerCo about it and see if they think it'll be an issue. If it's just aesthetics, I would leave it alone.
View Quote

the flash hider doesnt bother me too much, a guy from a different reply said why it happens.  both my rifles and my friends a2 birdcage have the copper color on them. my concern was the can, as i dont want it it to get all rusted up, its winter here and will be for a while, i dont want to have to worry about shooting it in the cold, but for the 1000$ i have into it, i would like to see a higher quality coating
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Did the exact same thing like a dumbass on my SPECWAR
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 12:26:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

yeah, but the IMO the coating shouldnt come off when its hot like that. my friend took his off and the finish on his looks fine. and when i did mine it was about 15F out, no one wants to sit at the range for an hour waiting for their suppressor to cool off, when i got home about 2 hours later it was still warm. however in the big picture the coating is at the bottom of the big deal scale
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:05:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:30:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The flash suppressor is going to get coated with copper vaporized and deposited from the bullet jackets of the bullets fired because it is inside the blast chamber of the sound suppressor.  There is nothing that can prevent that.  By the time you get the copper off, you will probably mechanically remove the finish underneath or deposit something like stainless steel from a wire brush or brass from a brass brush over the top of it, or in its place.   The brass brush is probably what you are looking at here.  If you want to return it to black, you could temporarily do that by putting the can on and firing a 30 round magazine.  

It's important to have realistic expectations.   If you want the finish to always be perfect, the best way to do that is not to fire the rifle.

View Quote

I agree, as i said before the flash hider doesnt bother me, and from everything everyone is saying. the flash hider is normal. as for the coating on the can itself, i was concerned because im 150 rds in, and my friends griffin armament recce 7 has an almost perfect finish and more rounds thru it
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:39:33 AM EDT
[#23]
also edit, my friend has the griffin M4SD2
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:11:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:25:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Maybe? I did do a couple of rapid fires, but no mag dumps or anything, id imagine my 7.5" heats that thing up real quick. I sent them an email, so we will see that they say, my main concern is rust, otherwise the supressor does everything i was expecting. It was about 15 degrees out when i was shooting it, so maybe has something to do with a sudden heating from a cold temp? Then cooling fast? Maybe me swapping it cause the issue.

Either way im curious to see what they say

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 11:11:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Did you by chance use a SilencerShop oven mitt?
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 1:45:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Maybe? I did do a couple of rapid fires, but no mag dumps or anything, id imagine my 7.5" heats that thing up real quick. I sent them an email, so we will see that they say, my main concern is rust, otherwise the supressor does everything i was expecting. It was about 15 degrees out when i was shooting it, so maybe has something to do with a sudden heating from a cold temp? Then cooling fast? Maybe me swapping it cause the issue.

View Quote

It's made of stainless and Stellite so I wouldn't be concerned about rust.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:39:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

I did use that.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 2:56:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I did use that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did use that.

My experience is that the Silencer Shop oven mitt will leave silver residue on a hot suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:11:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I did use that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did use that.

This is what discolored it. It leaves behind a silvery residue on a hot suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 3:25:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

My experience is that the Silencer Shop oven mitt will leave silver residue on a hot suppressor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did use that.

I've experienced the same thing.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:00:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Is there a way to get the silver stuff left from the silencer shop mit off?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did use that.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 4:01:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didnt even think of that
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 6:26:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did use that.

Keep shooting it or wipe it down. IMO, the silvery finish looks better than the black oxide.
Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#36]
talked to silencer co, showed them the pictures, first thing they asked "did you use the mitt from silencer shop" so thats the deal, said to soak it in clp over night and get a brass bristled brush
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top