Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2015 8:57:55 AM EDT
SAKER762 sitting in NFA jail. I went with the 7.62 because I want to use it now with 5.56 but will likely build a .300Blackout upper in the future.

My unit comes with the 5/8x24 "Trifecta" muzzle brake and nothing else.

For 5.56 I suppose I need to buy the 1/2x28 "Trifecta" Muzzle Brake (for standard AR barrel) and a 5.56 endcap. Is that correct? Is there anything else I need to purchase and install  in order to start shooting once my Form 4 is approved?

Also, in 5.56, what is the best barrel length to go with this can. I have a registered SBR so I could go as short as I want but I would also like to use the can with a non-SBR rifle. At 8" long this addition onto a 16" barrel will bring the barrel length out to 24"+. That just seems too long for comfort but to keep the rifle out of NFA is there any other way to do it? How short can I go on the barrel before I start abusing the can?

One more thing. Can I install the Trifecta muzzle device on my barrel just like any other flash hider or muzzle brake with a crush washer or should I have a gunsmith install it to make sure everything is concentric?

Thank you all for any input you can give a new Saker owner.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:15:31 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  Yes, you will need a 1/2x28 threaded trifecta muzzle break or flash hider to mount the can on your 5.56 weapons.

2.  Just use your registered SBR if the length concerns you.  The options are not very attractive to have a short barrel but keep it off the NFA registry.

3.  NEVER USE A CRUSH WASHER.  The mounts should come with a shim kit for timing of the break.  Only use that and a small drop of rocksett on the threads to keep the mount from unscrewing. I like to have a gunsmith make sure that everything is aligned properly before I shoot the can, but if it comes from a good manufacturer I wouldnt worry about it.  Think high end ARs like Noveske, Daniel Defense, Larue, etc.  If it is an Olympic or DPMS I'd have the threads and shoulder checked.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:17:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I will answer what I know for sure, on installing the MB or FH suppressor mounts on the barrel, don't use crush washers, only the peel washers or shims it comes with. The crush washer might not collapse evenly and cause the mount to be skewed one way or another.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 9:35:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
SAKER762 sitting in NFA jail. I went with the 7.62 because I want to use it now with 5.56 but will likely build a .300Blackout upper in the future.

My unit comes with the 5/8x24 "Trifecta" muzzle brake and nothing else.

For 5.56 I suppose I need to buy the 1/2x28 "Trifecta" Muzzle Brake (for standard AR barrel) and a 5.56 endcap. Is that correct? Is there anything else I need to purchase and install  in order to start shooting once my Form 4 is approved?

Also, in 5.56, what is the best barrel length to go with this can. I have a registered SBR so I could go as short as I want but I would also like to use the can with a non-SBR rifle. At 8" long this addition onto a 16" barrel will bring the barrel length out to 24"+. That just seems too long for comfort but to keep the rifle out of NFA is there any other way to do it? How short can I go on the barrel before I start abusing the can?

One more thing. Can I install the Trifecta muzzle device on my barrel just like any other flash hider or muzzle brake with a crush washer or should I have a gunsmith install it to make sure everything is concentric?

Thank you all for any input you can give a new Saker owner.
View Quote

For 5.56, you can either get the muzzle brake, which will need to be timed with shims, or a flash hider. You do not need a 5.56 endcap.

Silencerco has minimum barrel lengths published on their website for each of their suppressors. If you want to stay out of SBR land, either build a pistol or pin a flash hider/brake onto a 14.5" barrel.

Your gunsmith, unless he has a lathe and specifically measures runout, will do nothing to guarantee that everything is concentric. He'll just time the brake, eyeball it and call it a day. Same thing you would do. Do it yourself and save the money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 10:27:40 AM EDT
[#4]
timing the trifecta brake with the provided silencerco shims isnt always the easiest. I believe i tried every combination 1000 times before i got it tuned to "eyeball" standards.

congrats on the saker its a a tank...now bight the bullet and get a k version in 556
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 11:12:10 AM EDT
[#5]
My Saker did not come with a shim kit so you may want to pick one up. I got the gemtech kit off amazon.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 12:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
And you will need the ASR module. .  Just kidding, referring to that one thread.
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 3:58:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
And you will need the ASR module. .  Just kidding, referring to that one thread.
View Quote

Don't want them flying down range, do we?
Link Posted: 8/27/2015 7:52:38 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't use the 556 endcap on mine. I know I would end up forget its on there when I shoot 300blk.
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 5:46:08 PM EDT
[#9]
This is the best thread I've found to ask-slight variation from the original topic though:

I just picked up my specwar (first can). How do I time the muzzle break with the shims?  I think I understand but I'd rather show my ignorance by asking the question than by screwing something up that I can't fix.

Does anyone with better search skills than I have a link to a thread on what I need to be looking for?
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/16/2015 6:57:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Isn't the OP in VA?  IM me if you're near NoVA.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top