BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/4/2015 12:26:44 AM EDT
Topic says it all
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#2]
For the TL;DR crowd: Silencer Shop is now distributor only.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Must of been an Anderson Consulting recommendation.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Your shop continues to look better and better.

Not to mention several others.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:20:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Well this sucks! What if you're waiting on your stamp to get your suppressor from them?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:29:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I doubt that will change anything honestly.

You get your stamp from the local FFL silencer shop has contracted with.  So once the form 3 clears and SS sends the can to your local ffl.  Aside from filling out and submitting the form 4 on your behalf, they have nothing to do with with that (form 4) transfer.

OH I see you're in Texas!  Disregard my last comment.  Either way I still don't see how the change will affect the form 4 you've already submitted.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 1:43:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Well Capitol Armory just gained hundreds of former SS customers.

I almost bought a Saker K from SS last week, really glad I didn't.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:00:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Interesting.  So instead of driving 52 miles to Silencer Shop, I get to drive 108 miles to my "local dealer"?
I had pretty much decided to switch to Capitol Armory anyway.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow. The closest "powered" by dealer is 120+ miles away. Silencer Shop is 15 minutes away from me. Glad I went with Capitol Armory.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You get your stamp from the local FFL silencer shop has contracted with.  So once the form 3 clears and SS sends the can to your local ffl.  Aside from filling out and submitting the form 4 on your behalf, they have nothing to do with with that (form 4) transfer.

OH I see you're in Texas!  Disregard my last comment.  Either way I still don't see how the change will affect the form 4 you've already submitted.
View Quote

Except now you have to use dealers that formerly agreed to play by the Silencer Shop Direct model - you can't have your suppressor sent to any FFL/SOT that you wish.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Except now you have to use dealers that formerly agreed to play by the Silencer Shop Direct model - you can't have your suppressor sent to any FFL/SOT that you wish.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

All a dealer has to do is send in their information. They don't have to be a "Powered By" dealer. They can sign up for "Buy-It-Local" only...

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:40:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

BigWaylon's Question in the other thread:
2. If a customer chooses a dealer that's not "Powered By", it's the equivalent of how you used to do it with customer choosing their own dealer and SS is not involved with the F4, stamp, transfer fee, etc...right?

SilencerShop's Response:
2. Correct, if the customer picks and FFL that is not "Powered By" then they do the tax stamp and paperwork with the FFL. This is good for customers that want to file as an individual.

Appears this part did not change.  SS's statements on the changes are very confusing, but perhaps this is why they did not come right out and say they are switching to Distributor model, because it is more of a hybrid.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:48:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
All a dealer has to do is send in their information. They don't have to be a "Powered By" dealer. They can sign up for "Buy-It-Local" only...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My non-Powered By dealer should already have their FFL on file with Silencer Shop as I've purchased well over a dozen suppressors from them using this dealer. - but they don't appear on the list.

I'm still not clear if the "Buy-It Local" price is the new price (which appears to have the transfer fee and whatever else rolled into it) or the pre-distributor model pricing. If it's the new price, there is no incentive to use "Buy-It Local" and have my dealer also charge me a transfer fee.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 8:48:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Being in Hansohn Bros' area continues to rock  See you guys Thursday!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:02:40 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wow. The closest "powered" by dealer is 120+ miles away. Silencer Shop is 15 minutes away from me. Glad I went with Capitol Armory.
View Quote

Think about the Austin guys.  I'm around 4 miles from SS.  The closest "Powered" dealer is now 72 miles away.

Looks like the Sparrow I have in jail will probably be my last SS purchase.  I doubt this will affect their business much though, they already did a ton of non-local sales.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:20:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Silencer Shop also quietly jacked up the price on all Griffin Armament products across the board.

Glad to see Hahnson Brothers kept their prices on GA stuff the same.    Centerfire cans average increase was $100/ can.    Even the Checkmate TM went from $280 to $340.    Thats a pretty hefty increase!

After buying 3 cans from SS, I will be doing my business with Hahnsons
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Think about the Austin guys.  I'm around 4 miles from SS.  The closest "Powered" dealer is now 72 miles away.

Looks like the Sparrow I have in jail will probably be my last SS purchase.  I doubt this will affect their business much though, they already did a ton of non-local sales.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep - I'm in Leander.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

My non-Powered By dealer should already have their FFL on file with Silencer Shop as I've purchased well over a dozen suppressors from them using this dealer. - but they don't appear on the list.

I'm still not clear if the "Buy-It Local" price is the new price (which appears to have the transfer fee and whatever else rolled into it) or the pre-distributor model pricing. If it's the new price, there is no incentive to use "Buy-It Local" and have my dealer also charge me a transfer fee.

View Quote
A non Powered By dealer still needs to sign up. They can get all the information by emailing Silencer Shop...

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:33:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Silencer Shop also quietly jacked up the price on all Griffin Armament products across the board.

Glad to see Hahnson Brothers kept their prices on GA stuff the same.    Centerfire cans average increase was $100/ can.    Even the Checkmate TM went from $280 to $340.    Thats a pretty hefty increase!

View Quote

Good to know, I saw that increase on GA, presumably a response to increased demand (recent kick ass testing and mod 3 changes).  As a strong SS supporter, this and their new distributor model have rubbed me the wrong way.  Not saying I won't buy from them again, but I will be looking elsewhere when I previously wouldn't have.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:18:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

I couldn't remember the prices but I do remember the Griffin cans all being very reasonable. Now they are up there with the rest of the other cans.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I couldn't remember the prices but I do remember the Griffin cans all being very reasonable. Now they are up there with the rest of the other cans.
View Quote

There were increases not only in GA products. I was interested in a Mystic X and keeping track of prices. I believe SS and CA had the Mystic X for around $735. The Mystic X is now $754 at SS.

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:35:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

I won't be changing my prices unless there is an increase or decrease in wholesale prices.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Being in Hansohn Bros' area continues to rock  See you guys Thursday!
View Quote

Link to their site please?

Also quite disappointed in SS.  Just getting into the NFA game but this will keep me from ever using them.  They have raised there prices by over $100 per can whereas most FFLs would charge $100 max per transfer and I had just found a guy to do it for $50 so this is a net loss... especially when you factor in sales tax that is now charged.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 10:44:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I won't be changing my prices unless there is an increase or decrease in wholesale prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks like Silencer Shop just lost me as a customer and Hansohn (whom I had not heard of until now) has gained me as a customer next time I buy a can.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:19:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

quasi-distributor, as they still sell to end-use, just not directly, and at dealer prices, not distributor prices. Not sure of the anti-trade issues at play here...

Quoted:

Yep, especially for Texas residents. The big advantage SS offered was direct sales to Texas residents. That is gone. So now if you are a Texas resident, you can shop anywhere in the US and same number xfers to get it to you. And Texas does not collect sales tax, so deduct 8.25% over SS price.

Funny, as Texas is largest silencer market in US, and they just screwed them. Someone will fill the void.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:21:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Once again, glad I'm not a TX resident having to deal with this drama.
My two purchases with SS were smooth but I find it hard to believe I'll use them again.

I'm sure they'll really miss me
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:22:10 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
quasi-distributor, as they still sell to end-use, just not directly. Not sure of the anti-trade issues at play here...
Yep, especially for Texas residents. The big advantage SS offered was direct sales to Texas residents. That is gone. So now if you are a Texas resident, you can shop anywhere in the US and same number xfers to get it to you. And Texas does not collect sales tax, so deduct 8.25% over SS price.

Funny, as Texas is largest silencer market in US, and they just screwed them. Someone will fill the void.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

quasi-distributor, as they still sell to end-use, just not directly. Not sure of the anti-trade issues at play here...

Quoted:

That made me scratch my head too and I am not even a TX resident. Suppressor ownership has got to be growing exponentially and SS just shunned the biggest market in their backyard...
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even if it was your neighbor across the street, you now have to wait an additional F3 before he gets it.

So you have an extra wait period, and you have to pay sales tax. Just buy it from Hansohn or Tar Heel, same number of F3s, and no sales tax.

Out-of-state dealers should be aggressively going after Texas market.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

quasi-distributor, as they still sell to end-use, just not directly, and at dealer prices, not distributor prices. Not sure of the anti-trade issues at play here...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Capitol Armory. Not quite the stock of SS, but better prices and for Texas residents, they do everything SS did.

My first order, they beat Silencer Shop by $90. My second order it was only by $20 - but that's still 10% of a stamp
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Even if it was your neighbor across the street, you now have to wait an additional F3 before he gets it.

So you have an extra wait period, and you have to pay sales tax. Just buy it from Hansohn or Tar Heel, same number of F3s, and no sales tax.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Part of the problem for some Texas residents, especially those in the Houston area (i.e. like me), is finding local dealers who will do the transfer for a "reasonable fee."  I don't buy anything in the state if I have the option of buying out of state b/c I pay enough in property and sales taxes as is.   However, I could not find a local Houston area dealer to transfer in an out of state suppressor for less than $100.   The direct mail SS option was simply too convenient, and given the high transfer fees, ended up being a wash monetarily (even with sales tax).  Thus, my Octane 9 is in jail with SS awaiting my stamp.

It appears that I will have to give the guys at Capital Armory a look for my next suppressor purchase.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:33:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Capitol Armory. Not quite the stock of SS, but better prices and for Texas residents, they do everything SS did.

My first order, they beat Silencer Shop by $90. My second order it was only by $20 - but that's still 10% of a stamp
View Quote

Yep, this is an old story. We have seen it before. A shop is doing well, everyone is happy, they go and change things. Within a year or two, they are out-of-business or irrelevant, and someone new has stepped in to fill the void. PSI, TitleII, MM, and now SS.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:34:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Part of the problem for some Texas residents, especially those in the Houston area (i.e. like me), is finding local dealers who will do the transfer for a "reasonable fee."  I don't buy anything in the state if I have the option of buying out of state b/c I pay enough in property and sales taxes as is.   However, I could not find a local Houston area dealer to transfer in an out of state suppressor for less than $100.   The direct mail SS option was simply too convenient, and given the high transfer fees, ended up being a wash monetarily (even with sales tax).  Thus, my Octane 9 is in jail with SS awaiting my stamp.

It appears that I will have to give the guys at Capital Armory a look for my next suppressor purchase.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That sucks. Here in DFW you can find folks doing it for $20.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Yes, this.  I'm a little upset as I was just about to get my first centerfire suppressor.  I snoozed and lost I guess.

Also, WTF would anyone in Texas order from SS now?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah as a Texas guy, I'm pissed.  I've purchased almost all of my suppressors from SS.  I've carried their water and evangelized them as "THE PLACE" to go get a suppressor in Texas to everyone I know that's interested in getting a suppressor.  I'd also be willing to bet that it was the Texas buyers that supported their business to allow them the flexibility of building up their e-commerce infrastructure, and distributorship to allow them to get as big as they have with the volume they run.  The only thing that's kept me from buying from the Hansohn Brothers is the fact that they're not in Texas.  Looks like the future is about to get a lot brighter for them and Capitol Armory!

DFM
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:44:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Yeah as a Texas guy, I'm pissed.  I've purchased almost all of my suppressors from SS.  I've carried their water and evangelized them as "THE PLACE" to go get a suppressor in Texas to everyone I know that's interested in getting a suppressor.  I'd also be willing to bet that it was the Texas buyers that supported their business to allow them the flexibility of building up their e-commerce infrastructure, and distributorship to allow them to get as big as they have with the volume they run.  The only thing that's kept me from buying from the Hansohn Brothers is the fact that they're not in Texas.  Looks like the future is about to get a lot brighter for them and Capitol Armory!

DFM
View Quote

Are there any other TX dealers that will mail directly to you?
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:46:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm almost certain it is the overall price (when using the Powered By Silencer Shop designation), except perhaps sales tax (depending on how the purchase system is set up). The new SS system is similar to the Gallery of Guns system, where you choose the item you want and it shows the price to order it through various dealers in your area.

I'm not really sure why they allow customers to buy direct from them as a distributor, and send to non-participating shops. You would think they would sell to a dealer but not the public.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 11:51:41 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DFM

Yeah Capitol Armory will.  I actually enjoyed driving down to Austin to pick up my suppressors.  Took the family and we made a weekend of it.  Looks like I'll be doing the same with Capitol.  Fixin to call the Hansohn Brothers about an Octane.

DFM
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Wow I did not know Capitol Armory was in Cedar Park.  It does look like they'll be getting all the TX business from now on.  By the numbers Texas is the biggest buyer of suppressor in the country by a pretty big margin.  I don't see how they're new business model benefits them any more than before, other than the decreased headache of selling directly to consumers.  People were buying out of state from them anyway through SS direct (me included), with out having to do this whole "buy it local" which i still don't understand.  All i can see this doing is damaging their reputation in the largest suppressor market in the country as well as adding time to an already frustrating waiting period.  I left Austin in 2010 and my friends have told me it gets lamer and more corporate there every year,  I guess it only makes sense the businesses there follow suit.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:18:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
My two purchases with SS were smooth but I find it hard to believe I'll use them again.

View Quote

I suspect they will be enough of us leaving to where they will feel a pinch and their competition will grow, but yes I doubt individually they will miss your 2 purchases or my 11 purchases over the past 14 months.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:18:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Yep, this is an old story. We have seen it before. A shop is doing well, everyone is happy, they go and change things. Within a year or two, they are out-of-business or irrelevant, and someone new has stepped in to fill the void. PSI, TitleII, MM, and now SS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe SilencedAmerica will come back.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:22:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Wow I did not know Capitol Armory was in Cedar Park.  It does look like they'll be getting all the TX business from now on.  By the numbers Texas is the biggest buyer of suppressor in the country by a pretty big margin.  I don't see how they're new business model benefits them any more than before, other than the decreased headache of selling directly to consumers.  People were buying out of state from them anyway through SS direct (me included), with out having to do this whole "buy it local" which i still don't understand.  All i can see this doing is damaging their reputation in the largest suppressor market in the country as well as adding time to an already frustrating waiting period.  I left Austin in 2010 and my friends have told me it gets lamer and more corporate there every year,  I guess it only makes sense the businesses there follow suit.
View Quote

I assume they will expand stock if they start getting that much business too They're good people. Only 5-10 minutes away from Silencer Shop depending on how well you know your way around the area.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I suspect they will be enough of us leaving to where they will feel a pinch and their competition will grow, but yes I doubt individually they will miss your 2 purchases or my 11 purchases over the past 14 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I imagine as a distributor they will get lower prices from the manufacturer than they did as a retailer, and not have as many headaches dealing with customers (leave that to the dealers).

I wonder if some shops will end up purchasing their inventory from Silencer Shop (switching from their current distributor). Perhaps as a successful retailer they have gained the know-how to offer a better distribution experience, specializing in suppressors, for dealers.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I imagine as a distributor they will get lower prices from the manufacturer than they did as a retailer, and not have as many headaches dealing with customers (leave that to the dealers).
View All Quotes
Quoted:

As mentioned above, they are not really a distributor since they allow buy/sell to end customers at retail  prices. They also have same number of headaches less Texas customers they will lose. Other than cutting off local sales, I do not see much change here.

Quoted:
I wonder if some shops will end up purchasing their inventory from Silencer Shop (switching from their current distributor). Perhaps as a successful retailer they have gained the know-how to offer a better distribution experience, specializing in suppressors, for dealers.

As stated, those are retail prices, not dealer prices. Unless a new price sheet is coming out. I do not see any dealers buying from them.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 12:42:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Major Malf 2.0
Hybrid style
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:21:26 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

So it appears as though all you Austin guys can still order from SS and have SS do the paperwork and pick up from CA. Nothing has really changed.

The way it was explained to me was that they are using a model very similar to Davisdon's "Gallery of Guns" where retail customers can purchase from a warehouse and the local dealer still gets all the profits. The wholesaler makes a lower gross profit but if they can keep up with demand/ inventory and paperwork they can be very successful and make up their sales in volume.

M3's problem is that he won't hire anyone to pick up the damn phone. And is constantly out of stock on everything. No one can really say either one about SS.

I for one see it as a good thing. Most local dealers (present company excluded, Mr. Hansohn) suck at paperwork and communication. I mean come on, how many BIG dealers can we name? 5? 10? out of 41 legal states? If there is one thing that SS is good at it is paperwork in volume. If those shops that are not the best at paperwork can leverage a couple million dollars worth of inventory and paperwork expertise why wouldn't they? It only hurts other distributors, it doesn't impact the retail market or the manufacturers. Retail customers are still going to buy and manufacturers are still going to sell.

As more dealers come on line things are sure to get better, but everyone had to start somewhere.

Now on with the witchhunt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78952

So it appears as though all you Austin guys can still order from SS and have SS do the paperwork and pick up from CA. Nothing has really changed.

The way it was explained to me was that they are using a model very similar to Davisdon's "Gallery of Guns" where retail customers can purchase from a warehouse and the local dealer still gets all the profits. The wholesaler makes a lower gross profit but if they can keep up with demand/ inventory and paperwork they can be very successful and make up their sales in volume.

M3's problem is that he won't hire anyone to pick up the damn phone. And is constantly out of stock on everything. No one can really say either one about SS.

I for one see it as a good thing. Most local dealers (present company excluded, Mr. Hansohn) suck at paperwork and communication. I mean come on, how many BIG dealers can we name? 5? 10? out of 41 legal states? If there is one thing that SS is good at it is paperwork in volume. If those shops that are not the best at paperwork can leverage a couple million dollars worth of inventory and paperwork expertise why wouldn't they? It only hurts other distributors, it doesn't impact the retail market or the manufacturers. Retail customers are still going to buy and manufacturers are still going to sell.

As more dealers come on line things are sure to get better, but everyone had to start somewhere.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=78952

You still have an additional form 3 to wait for and on most items Capitol Armory is cheaper than SS... it would be stupid to do it that way.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Out-of-staters, little has changed. Texas residents got screwed, as they now have to wait an additional F3 and pay a xfer fee to the local dealer. Things that did not occur prior to this change.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:45:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Out-of-staters, little has changed. Texas residents got screwed, as they now have to wait an additional F3 and pay a xfer fee to the local dealer. Things that did not occur prior to this change.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's not how I understand it.  There are no transfer fees anymore, the price you see on Silencershops webpage is the price you pay.   Silencershop pays the the local dealer.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
That's not how I understand it.  There are no transfer fees anymore, the price you see on Silencershops webpage is the price you pay.   Silencershop pays the the local dealer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

This is correct, no transfer fee by the dealer...

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top